FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is This What This Town Really Needs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is This What This Town Really Needs?
    Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 7:45am
Journal article....

State rep brings capital funding home to Butler County

COLUMBUS —
Several members of the Butler County arts and education community were singing Tim Derickson’s praises on Tuesday after the proposed $2.38 billion state capital budget was released.

The Republican state representative who hails from 53rd District helped get almost a million in state funding for projects at Butler Tech, the Oxford Community Arts Center and the Thatcher Temple Arts Building in Middletown. Miami University is also expected to get $22.4 million.

“Tim Derickson actually took the bull by the horns and with a couple of other projects in his district he shepherded it through the process,” said Caroline Croswell, executive director of the Oxford art center. “We just bow down to Tim.”

The capital projects bill is expected to pass the House soon and then move on to the Senate. Among the proposed projects are $500,000 for the new Butler Tech Health Science Academy at Interstate 75 and Cincinnati Dayton Road; $450,000 for phase three renovations at the Oxford Community Arts Center and $37,500 to the Art Central Foundation for a new elevator in the Thatcher Temple Arts Building. The lion’s share of the Miami University funding will go for Shideler Hall renovations.....

Sue Wittman Art Central Foundation director said it will cost $150,000 to install an elevator in their building but the state money will certainly come in handy. They used to be able to access the upper floors of the building through the building next door, until Cincinnati State moved in and they lost that access.

Wittman also said Derickson is always willing to lend a hand.

“Tim has been a very big champion of the Art Central Foundation,” she said. “Anytime we’ve needed a little help with something, he’s been around there for us.”

CHANNELING TAXPAYER MONEY FOR PROJECTS LIKE A NEW ELEVATOR FOR THE ART CENTRAL FOUNDATION? ....THE OXFORD ARTS CENTER?

ARE THESE THE TOP PRIORITIES FOR SOMETIMES SCARCE MONIES THAT ARE AVAILABLE? WHY DOES THE ARTS SCENE SEEM TO TAKE PRECEDENT OVER MUCH NEEDED INFRASTRUCTURE AND ROAD REPAIRS? ARE THE ARTS AND THE SMALL NUMBER OF PEOPLE WHO ENJOY AND BENEFIT FROM THEM MORE IMPORTANT THAN MEETING THE NEEDS OF MOST CITIZENS? WHY THE CONCENTRATION OF PLEASING SUCH A SMALL CONTINGENT OF THE POPULATION AND THE IGNORING OF THE MAJORITY NEEDS? WHY IS DERICKSON NOT MAKING AS MUCH OF AN EFFORT TO HELP WITH MONIES FOR REAL NEEDS FOR THE CITIES WITHIN HIS JURISDICTION? WHO IS IN CHARGE OF PRIORITIZING THE IMPORTANT PROJECTS BENEFITTING THE MOST PEOPLE?

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 8:44am
Government (state) works with government (city).

As long as City Hall keeps claiming downtown is where Middletown's greatest need is, that's where the money will go.

If you want change, you must make changes at City Hall.

It's really that simple.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 9:52am
Looks like a $1,00,000 was also given to a "Middletown River Project" .
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 10:34am
Until we can get city hall to focus on the infrastructure of our city we will continue to see money going in that direction. Change is desperately needed at city hall. Making Doug Adkins city manager is certainly NOT the way to go!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 10:48am
"If you want change, you must make changes at City Hall.

It's really that simple"

YEP, QUITE RIGHT MIKE. AND THERE IT IS......WHERE THE STORY ENDS. WE CAN NEVER GET THE ALTERNATIVE..... GOOD PEOPLE RUNNING FOR OFFICE BACKED WITH VOTERS SUPPORTING THOSE GOOD PEOPLE. WE HAVE KNOWN WHAT THE PROBLEM IS IN THIS TOWN FOR A LONG TIME.....JUST CAN'T FIX IT WITHOUT COOPERATION FROM THE GENERAL POPULACE WHO DON'T GIVE A DAM.

APPARENTLY DERICKSON LIKES TO WASTE OUR MONEY AND CAN'T SEEM TO DECIPHER WHAT IS IMPORTANT.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 11:30am
Hello Vet,
     I don't think this is quite fair to Tim Derickson. I follow him pretty closely and as a State representative he does an excellent job representing his constituency. To say he is wasting taxpayer money  isn't accurate. He is approached by every cause to assist in getting funding and legislation passed.. He does so to the best of his ability. Sometimes he can and other times he can't. It is not his job to spend the money, thats the job of the recipients as to how they will utilize the funds. Due to redistricting he represents only certain areas of our city. Forinstance in my district our state representative is Bill Cooley. While I heartily agree with you about our representation by City Council and other groups about their ability to waste our money I can't attribute their misjudgments to Tim Derickson or any other representative. He is a fair, humble and honest man in my opinion. Can you imagine all of the groups who try to lobby him for their cause?
      I know you will acept this observation in the spirit in which it is given and I appreciate the fact that you stay on top of things and make the observations that you do so consistently in the best interest of our city and its citizens. Your opinions are most valued and appreciated and I look forward to your continuing to do the good job you do.
      Thank you.
      Paul Nagy
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 11:31am
It would be wise for Tim and his peers to focus upon addressing the unconstitutionality of school funding in Ohio than earmarks from state to local government.

This is the same problem when uninformed voters whom know nothing about judicial candidates legal acumen and ratings (av,bv,cv), elect poor judges, who in  turn, pass laws which allow judges to sit on the bench until age 70, to then drawl the maximum social security benefit.

This is why John Kasich espouses how he reduced state income tax, that is simply passed on locally, as a tax increase, to cover what reduction is received at the state level.

Art is nice and cultural to know and appreciate, but other than re-electing state reps for their "facilitation" in earmarking, using the fed terminology, this is simply wasteful spending. But they all have an objective, and that is to create a perception of benefit. Gary Coates participation in the C State hype associated with HEP and the first regional community college is typical espousement to the low information constituent.

Ohio is killi ng itself as much as Middletown is destroying itself in my opinion. Blindness.     
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 2:44pm
Paul, if I may, I'd like to make some observations concerning your post....

"It is not his job to spend the money, thats the job of the recipients as to how they will utilize the funds"

YOU ARE CORRECT, IT IS NOT HIS JOB TO SPEND THE MONEY, BUT IT IS HIS JOB TO EVALUATE ALL REQUESTS AND ALLOCATE THE MONEY AS HE RANKS THE IMPORTANCE. QUITE FRANKLY, I CAN'T SEE ANY MONEY GOING TO ANY ARTS ESTABLISHMENT, GIVEN THE DIRE SITUATION AND MUCH HIGHER PRIORITY ITEMS THAT WOULD HELP MORE PEOPLE WITH THEIR QUALITY OF LIFE. IMO, ANYTIME YOU USE TAXPAYER MONEY TO ACCOMODATE A SMALL SEGMENT OF THE POPULATION AND DON'T FOCUS THE MONEY ON THE MAJORITY, YOU ARE NOT NECESSARILY PRIORITIZING CORRECTLY. THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAS CAUSED ALOT OF THE PROBLEMS HERE IN MIDDLETOWN, IE- TO HELL WITH THE MAJORITY WITH EVERY BUCK GOING TO SPECIAL INTEREST FRIENDS. AGAIN, DERICKSON HASN'T NECESSARILY DEMONSTRATED THE GREATEST ACUMEN IN THE ORDER OF IMPORTANCE DEPARTMENT BY GIVING MONEY TO THE ARTS COMMUNITY IMO. THEY ARE WAAAYYY DOWN THE LIST OF NEEDED ENTITIES IN THE MIDDLETOWN COMMUNITY.

"Forinstance in my district our state representative is Bill Cooley"

WHILE WE ARE ON THE TOPIC OF BILL COLEY, LET ME TELL YOU MY EXPERIENCES WITH HIM. I CONTACTED COLEY'S OFFICE A YEAR OR TWO AGO CONCERNING ANY HELP HE COULD LEND IN DEALING WITH MY WIFE'S SITUATION WITH HOME HEALTH CARE AS MY SON AND I HAD NOWHERE TO TURN FOR HELP.(AND STILL DON'T) WHILE I DIDN'T HEAR FROM COLEY, I HEARD FROM HIS WIFE WHO OFFERED SOME BRIEF PASSIFICATION BUT NO REAL CONCRETE HELP. I TAKE THAT AS COLEY FILING MY REQUEST IN THE UNIMPORTANT/I DON'T WANT TO DEAL WITH IT FILE. HE WON'T BE GETTING MY VOTE COME RE_ELECTION TIME. AT THE VERY LEAST, HE COULD HAVE RESPONDED THAT HE COULDN'T HELP AND, AT LEAST, "ACTED" LIKE HE HAD A MINUTE OR TWO TO SPARE.

"I know you will acept this observation in the spirit in which it is given and I appreciate the fact that you stay on top of things and make the observations that you do so consistently in the best interest of our city and its citizens. Your opinions are most valued and appreciated and I look forward to your continuing to do the good job you do"

THANK YOU PAUL. I BELIEVE MY CONTRIBUTIONS MAY BE VALUED BY A FEW WHILE OTHERS THINK IT TOO ABRASIVE, TOO CRITICAL AND TOO "IN YOUR FACE". I WAS RAISED BY AN ARMCO STEEL WORKER/GERMAN GRANDPA WHO TOLD IT LIKE IT IS REGARDLESS OF ABRASION OR KINDLER/GENTLER FEELINGS. GUESS I GOT IT HONESTLY. I DON'T LIKE SMOKESCREEN BEHAVIOR SO COMMON NOWADAYS WITH PEOPLE IN AUTHORITY.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 4:02pm
Vet,
     I think your point about "prioritizing correctly" is quite valid especially in today's economy. I'd like to be further enlightened about the procedure as I'm sure you and many others would. I'll try to contact Tim Derickson and get some
education about the process and I'll get back to you.
         pn
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 5:32pm
This is the part I love about this forum,there are so many smart and talented people on this forum at the ready to be of help any time someone needs it. Sure we bitc-- a lot about a lot of things but I hope everyone understands it's just our opinions that we are sharing,but there may be something we can learn from it.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 9:06pm
It looks like another MILLION DOLLARS of our precious tax money will be squandered by our misguided city leaders!!!

Consider this excerpt from an article in today's E-Journal:

MetroParks of Butler County is set to receive $2 million of the Butler County’s portion of the capital budget funds. Half of the money is designated to be invested in the Voice of America Multipurpose Field and Athletic Complex and the other half is earmarked for the Middletown River Center.

The River Center project, which MetroParks will partner with the city of Middletown, will build on the city’s revitalization efforts over the last few years.

“Capital funding by the state will result in an immediately usable asset for the city of Middletown and MetroParks,” according to a press release issued by MetroParks. “The project will support redevelopment of an underutilized area, will encourage increased commerce, provide space for meetings, festivals and general trail based recreation, all with easy access to the Great Miami River.

In other words, this money will be flushed down the toilet.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2014 at 6:20am
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

It looks like another MILLION DOLLARS of our precious tax money will be squandered by our misguided city leaders!!!

Consider this excerpt from an article in today's E-Journal:

<blockquote style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">

MetroParks of Butler County is set to receive $2 million of the Butler County’s portion of the capital budget funds. Half of the money is designated to be invested in the Voice of America Multipurpose Field and Athletic Complex andthe other half is earmarked for the Middletown River Center.

The River Center project, which MetroParks will partner with the city of Middletown, will build on the city’s revitalization efforts over the last few years.

“Capital funding by the state will result in an immediately usable asset for the city of Middletown and MetroParks,” according to a press release issued by MetroParks.“The project will support redevelopment of an underutilized area, will encourage increased commerce, provide space for meetings, festivals and general trail based recreation, all with easy access to the Great Miami River.

In other words, this money will be flushed down the toilet.

YA KNOW, OVER THE LAST FORTY PLUS YEARS OF WORKING, I HAVE SEEN, ON A REPETITIVE BASIS, WITH EIGHT DIFFERENT COMPANIES, THE HABIT OF PROMOTING THE WORTHLESS, INCOMPETENT, BUT GOOD GAME PLAYER MANAGEMENT PERFORMERS UP THE LADDER TO GET THEM OUT OF THE WAY OF THE ACTUAL WORKING PART OF THE ORGANIZATION. LESSENS THE RISK OF THEM SCREWING UP THE MONEY MAKING PART OF THE COMPANY. CAN THE THINKING HERE, CONCERNING THE MONEY DISTRIBUTION, BE COMING FROM THOSE WHO WERE PROMOTED TO GET THEM OUT OF THE WAY? WHO IN THE HE-- MAKES THESE KINDS OF DECISIONS AND WHY ARE THEY ALWAYS IN A POSITION TO CALL THE SHOTS? CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW DIFFERENT IT WOULD BE IF COMPETENT PEOPLE WERE IN MANAGEMENT ROLES, BE IT PRIVATE INDUSTRY, GOVERNMENT, PUBLIC SECTOR POSITIONS OR IN ELECTED OFFICES? HOW DID WE GET TO THE POINT WHERE THE INCOMPETENT- OUGHT TO BE FIRED MORONS RUN THE SHOW? IF YOU'RE NOT MANAGEMENT AND SCREW UP YOU GET FIRED. IF YOU ARE A MANAGER AND SCREW UP, YOU GET PROMOTED AND MOVED OUT OF THE WAY. INCREDIBLE.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2014 at 7:34am
Middletown River Center?
What/where is this?
Who is in charge?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2014 at 7:48am
The Peter Principle.

Isn't the real issue Mulligan and others have now, with this $1 Mm, or 50% of the MetroParks budget, gotten about $2.5 Mm for their downtown Main firewall, while the rest of Middletown has gotten $0?

Stabilizing other neighborhoods besides Main Street and Highlands is the issue. Main Street is not the catalyst for revitalization just because several council members and city employees live there IMO.   
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2014 at 8:25am
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Middletown River Center?
What/where is this?
Who is in charge?
You don't know because they don't want us mere citizens to know.

Middletown city government is the most clandestine around. Everything is discussed and decided in secrecy. That's why you don't know about "Middletown River Center". In City Hall's mind, you don't need to know...you just need to pay for it!!!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2014 at 9:59am
Needing sunshine?

Go outside, take vitamin C tablets.

Or....

1) File legal complaint in Butler Cty Common Pleas---citizen in Warren Cty did....and prevailed.

2) http://www.ethics.ohio.gov/index.shtml
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2014 at 12:02pm
VietVet,
      I posted this elsewhere it should have been here in context. So, here it is.
       In another blog I told you I would try to get an answer from Representative Tim Derickson's office on how they obtain funds for verious projects and what criteria they use for prioritizing funds to a project. I believe Tim Derickson is totally sincere and does his best for his district. I'm sorry I took so long. Here is the answer I got from his office:

Paul, 

I apologize for not sending this sooner. It has been a hectic week with the MBR budget. 

Please see this fact sheet from the Office of Budget and Management on the bill: http://www.media.obm.ohio.gov/obm/budget/documents/capital/fy-15-16/CapitalBudget_FactSheet.pdf 

Here is how the capital appropriations bill priorities were determined on our end:

Entities seeking funding came to our office with their requests. We put together a packet of the requests and advocated for the ones that fell within our district. Representative Derickson did his absolute best in securing funding for projects in the 53rd District by speaking directly to the Finance Chairman and convincing him that the projects made sense economically and fiscally. While he fought hard for each and every project, ultimately funding was not secured for 100% of them (but it was pretty close).

Rep. Derickson was praised for his efforts locally here: http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/local/state-rep-brings-capital-funding-home-to-butler-co/nfGBm/

Hope this helps!

Spencer C. Gross

Legislative Aide

Representative Tim Derickson | District 53

Ohio House of Representatives

spencer.gross@ohiohouse.gov

(614) 644-5094

Also, I thought that this was interesting on the Governor's perspective on prioritizing projects to fund. This came from his speech here in Butler County on March 21st.:

Gov. John Kasich said the key to turning a potential $8 billion deficit into a $1.5 billion surplus is that “nobody gets a deal.”

Kasich was the keynote speaker Friday night at the Oscar Event Center in Fairfield for the Butler County Republican Party’s Lincoln Day Dinner, the party’s largest fundraiser. He said a key to balancing the state’s budget and working toward a surplus is to not cut anybody breaks.

“You can’t do it that way,” said the Republican governor who is up for re-election this November. “When you go about setting priorities — and it’s the same way you go about setting priorities with your family — what do we really need, what would we like to have, and what is it we don’t need. You have to make those decisions and you have to figure out a better way to carry on your life with a limited number of resources, and that’s exactly what we did.”

Kasich said his administration has worked to turn the deficit the state faced into a $1.5 billion budget surplus.

Paul Nagy
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2014 at 1:07pm
Thank you for the follow-up Paul.

I have no problem with the EFFORT that was made by the Derickson camp.

I do have a problem with the PRIORITY system used to distribute the money to people who don't seem to have a very important need. Couldn't the money have gone to a better cause than an elevator in an arts building or to anything connected with the arts community? Surely there is a more dire need to be filled than these wants, right? I would think that in the request system, there would be some sort of prioritization that would place an arts request way at the bottom of the list, given all the other more important things one could do with that money. It's government. Who has a clue as to understanding those people and their systems that rarely make any sense.

Thanks again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic