Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Sunday, April 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help Replace One of Ohio's Oldest Schools?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 3:53pm
Acclaro: I don't understand the comment about the 66% dilution of the state's portion. The ratio has always been "Middletown" 74%, "State" 26%. just 1chmoore.
blue7 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 5:27pm
I'm going to play devil's advocate for a minute.

Has a school feasibility study been performed by an outside source? Are funds available to renovate if deemed acceptable by Ohio Code and said feasibility study? How much? Do people realize that renovation means a complete gutting and hthe only thing left is the outside shell. Which is pretty, but locationally challenged. If there is renovation, where would students be educated? I doubt a complete renovation could happen over 2.5 months. Would money be used to reopen Verity? How much?

How long can MMS go without complete renovation or a rebuild according to Ohio Code? Or how long until the roof actually caves in?

If MCSD decides to rebuild, will they offer the school to the historical society or someone interested in the upkeep?

Is the renovation of MHS completely tied into this? Would funds be available for upkeep or renovation without these funds? MHS was built after the days of schools that lasted a century.

Anyone?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 5:38pm
chm1; in the 2012 FY Priority database it has Middletown at a 59% percentile with an Adjusted Valuation per Pupil of 133,346. The rank for priority was 357 out of the > 600 districts.

Take 95,000,000, and 41% is 38,950,000. Middletown is in the top 40% of schools based upon AVP.

It appears on face, the carry over is only about $1,050,000. from Phase 1.

I will followup with Ohio Facilities Commission regarding the ability to LAPSE the funding into a future calender year.

The carry-over loss of about 1,000,000 or 1%, seems insignificant. Agreed? 

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 5:56pm
b7; yes, funds on renovation, up to 66% per ORC and Articles.

Has the school performed against its stated objectives? No.

Ha the school lost students? Yes

Can MCSD students receive vouchers to attend a private school? Yes

Did the state of Ohio conclude enrollment would be flat or down? Yes

Is Ohio losing students and population? Yes

Is property valuation declining in Middletown? Yes

Is AKS and the county greatly elevating MCSD VAP? Yes

If AKS were to be acquired, would it adversely effect VAP? Yes

Was the due diligent study macro level or not detailed? Yes  

Is it true the BOA has not given a conclusive answer enrollment will rise, and test performance will increase with a new building? Yes

Did the Coleman Report conclude a student's demographics effect performance, not a building? Yes

Will not the school spend the money in August if this fails for Round 3? Yes

Isn't this money available again in the future, calculated upon anew 3 year VAP? Yes 

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 6:56pm
Playing Devil's Advocate, the state grant for the land bank will lead to the destruction of hundreds of properties in Middletown. Will that:

1) Raise the VAP?

2) Decrease the VAP?

Will the Middletown Energy Ctr on-boarding have a significant impact upon future VAP?

Facilities like MUM and the Atrium don't pay property tax, as they are non profits. That elevates or decreases VAP for others to absorb?

A lower VAP raises the state's contribution. Isn't it expected the MCSD will have a lower VAP IN 3--5 years, whereas the state would pay more for buildings in the formula?

Cincinnati State is a non profit, thus not paying property tax. That makes more residents and 'for profits' cover that expense. 
blue7 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

Acclaro, there is absolutely no reference in the ordinance to "offical tallying of votes and accompanying results."

Mr. Nagy, thank you for the kind words and for being agreeable about disagreeing. I fully understand that not everyone will agree with me, and that I am not always right.  Obviously, everyone has the right to vote for or against the bond levy, I just want people to make their decision based on correct information, not misinformation, rumors or conspiracy theories.

chmoore1, thank you for the information you found on the cost to renovate some of Cincinnati Public's older buildings.  I don't think everyone understands how comprehensive and expensive the required renovations would be. 

I dug up some reports from the Ohio School Facilities Commission of the findings of their evaluation of Middletown's school buildings.  The cost to renovate Vail was estimated at $36.1 million; the cost to replace it at $51.8 million.  However, we would not build a new middle school at the full 241,134 square feet that Vail has.  The new middle school would only need to house grades 7 and 8 and the OSFC estimate is a need for 133,727 square feet at a cost of $28.7 million (this estimate does not include some items that the OSFC does not consider essential, like an auditorium and competition gym).  Verity is only 77,152 square feet; not big enough.  Cost to renovate Verity $13.6 million, cost to replace $17.1 million (both of those just for the 77,152 square feet).

This was a quote from earlier in the discussions. OSFC doesn't pay for auditoriums or gyms. I'm guessing that might make up a difference in the projected match? 
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 10:27pm
The fiscal annual calculations for MCSC vary ever so slightly from year to year, with a variance per pupil ranging from 109,224 to 133, 346. Its also easy to misinterpret the data without a second review, as percentile rank is what the district pays, not state.

That said, 41% does agree with the 2012 fiscal year priority data, which is about $40 Mm. They loaded up the levy with Local paid expenses not covered by the state, and the state does offer a grant program associated with security needs.

Rolling the dice at 50/50 in my opinion based upon decline in property in Middletown and the performance of the schools.

If I were a teacher, I'd be worried about not getting future raises from not passing salary levies, than a building.

RRiveter View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRiveter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 10:08am
http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/local/some-against-bond-issue-want-school-renovated-not-/nfX8f/
RRiveter
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by chmoore1 chmoore1 wrote:

So, does all of this fondness for the "historic" aspect of MMS mean that you will support a levy to "TOTALLY RENOVATE" it for an estimated $36+ million? Or does your fondness stop at spending any money on it, and let it continue to deteriorate? 91 years and counting.   
just 1chmoore.
CHMoore:
Perhaps I wasn't clear in my original post on the subject. I did NOT mention whether or not anyone was on any side of the issue, just that we were discussing it.

In fact, I was presenting the Board of Education's side of the argument during most of the discussion.  I was on the Facilities Committee, so I felt some obligation to do so.

The "historic aspect" and whether or not the local so-called "history buffs" would support Issue 3 arose towards the end of the discussion and took on a life of its own.

My personal opinion, which I voiced several times during School Facilities Committee meetings, is that we (as a community) owe the children of the community "the facilities adequate to obtain a proper education at the lowest cost to the taxpayers".  The Facilities Committee considered several options, at least two of which were projected to result in substantially less cost than the option which resulted in Issue 3.  I was in favor of the least expensive option, but was out-voted.

I also thought that the consultant's estimates were quite high. (This was based on my having over thirty years of experience in the engineering and construction industry, including substantial estimating.)  However, The estimates were "order of magnitude" estimates and not "Class 1" estimates, so who is to say who is correct??? 
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 12:53pm
Acclaro, bear with me on a summary of the history that should answer your recent questions:

The State of Ohio received a very large settlement in a multi-state class action lawsuit against against tobacco companies.  Ohio decided to put the tobacco settlement money in a fund to pay for new/renovated K-12 school buildings in public school districts in the state.  Ohio created a list ranking all school districts by total assessed property value.  This list both created priority, with the "poorest" districts by property value getting the first chance to access State money, and also established the percentage of the capital cost that the State would pay.  The State "match" varied by district property wealth. 

In 2004, Middletown City School District ranked in the richest third by property value of its taxpayers, putting it towards the bottom of the list, with the State share at 26% of project cost.  Total tax valuation for MCSD in 2004 was approx. $1 Billion.

Districts that did not want to wait for their number to come up on the priority list could choose to build/renovate in two stages, funding the first stage with a local bond levy and then, when the district's "number" comes up on the priority list, passing a second bond levy, with the State's share of the whole project not coming in until the number comes up AND the local community passes the second bond levy; and also conditioned on the district complying with the OHio School Facilities Commission's rules and guidelines for all phases of the project.  This early start option was called the ELPP and part of the agreement between the district and the State is that the District is locked in to their State/Local share split at the time of the agreement (2004). 

Middletown chose this early option, entered into an ELPP with the State, passed a bond levy, and built 6 new elementary schools and fully renovated 2 (reducing the number of elementaries from 10 to 8).  MCSD's State/Local share was locked in by this agreement at 26% state/74% local.

MCSD established a Facilities Committee to figure out what Middletown needed and wanted in new schools and to oversee the design and construction of the schools.  The Facilities Committee has members who are school employees, architects and other professionals, parents and other community members.  The membership has changed over the course of 10 years but it has always been open to anyone who is willing to participate.  The Facilities Committee has held numberous open houses and informational meetings and conducted surveys over the years, in a good faith effort to determine what the majority of Middletonians want in terms of location and functionality of the schools.  The master plan they came up with has been modified a few times over 10 years. 

A few years later, the State unilaterally and dramatically reduced MCSD's tax valuation base by eliminating tangible personal property tax on businesses.  The TPP taxed inventory and equipment on the same basis as real property, with the money going to schools and local government.  Because Middletown has AK Steel and other industry, it was hard hit by this change, with a reduction of almost 30% of our tax base.  With that, and some recent market devaluation, Middletown's tax valuation base is now about $700 Million.  Based on this current valuation, the State/Local share split would be 64% State/36% Local. 

The school board has tried to correct what we see as an injustice to Middletown tax payers caused by the unilateral action of the State wiping out close to 30% of our tax base.  We worked with Tim Derickson, our state representative, who three years in a row introducted legislation that would allow districts like Middletown, which had entered into a ELPP before the elimination of the TPP and who had a large percentage of their tax base in TPP, to modify the agreement they entered in the ELPP and have the State's share re-calculated based on the current tax valuation.  Three times, Derickson was successful in passing his legislation in both the House and the Senate.  Three years in a row, Gov. Kasich line-item vetoed this legislation.  So we are still locked in to the 26% State share.  If Kasich had not vetoed it, the State would have to fund the full cost of the middle school and high school, with the only exception being the Locally Funded Options.

The 26% state share for MCSD is 26% of the overall master plan, both first and second phase, but does not include items that the state does not believe are necessary; these items are called LFI or Locally Funded Initiatives.  The State-approved project budget for both phases of the project combined is approx. $156 Million; 26% of that = $40 Million.  Because we already built the first phase and paid for that out of local bond levy, all $40 Million of the State match would be applied to the second phase, for the middle school/high school.

I do not have in front of me a list of LFI elements or their cost.  They include the portion of the new competition gym that is bigger than the number of seats determined by OSFC; renovations of the auditorium and additional band/orchestra space (as the OSFC in its wisdom does not believe instrumental music instruction or performance, or theatrical performance, are essential to a good high school education, but the Middletown community believes otherwise); any square footage above the OSFC formula per student; any choices of more durable or higher grade materials than those specified by the OSFC.

The OSFC has set aside funding for Middletown's $40 million in this year's budget. If the bond levy does not pass in May, we lose the state share.  The board already determined not to try again in a special election in August -- the way the state laws work, we would have to start the process to be on the August ballot before the May election.

If we do not pass the bond levy and therefore lose the state share, we may "get back in line."  There is no guaranty that our number will come up again ever, although it is possible, and certainly no guaranty our chance would come up again within 3 years. 
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 1:56pm
Thank you Ms. Andrew for your detailed information; I assumed ELPP was used for Phase 1.

Without going into the weeds further, the data and formulation by Ohio and the Ohio Facilities Commission is terribly confusing without spending hours reading the transformation which has occurred, and reconciling elements which appear to be inaccurate and in conflict.

For example, in FY 2014, the spreadsheet states MCSD has completed ELPP, and is pursuing CFAP assistance. Reconciling CFAP, with FY 2012 rankings and percentile, it reflects state pays about 33%. If one reviews Lebanon, it falls into a 69%, with the state providing 31% funding, but the levy was matched in 2013 at 41% associated with ELPP

My concern going forward, is the 2004 levy and expense, with only 26% state funding, was entered into an agreement when the economics of the district were much better than the present.

Going forward with the annual calculation on the Adjusted Value per Pupil (AVP), one might argue it better for the district to await a more favorable state match far greater than 26%, which is reflective of the district's tax base, , than 2004's AVP.

I again appreciate your response. For others that may have an interest (or confused), ATTACHED is the ELPP procedures.

http://www.osfc.ohio.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=tT4Lo9WIrcI%3D&tabid=68   .

aflatkey View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aflatkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 2:45pm
THIS IS NOT A RUMMOR
THIS IS A FACT OF CONSTITUTIONAL LAW
DEFEND YOUR CONSTITUTIONAL FREEDOMS
NO UNFAIR TAXATION WITH OUT EQUAL REPRESENTATION

fellow Bloggers,

all of this specific information reflects the bureaucracy your state government has put in place  so not only do you rent the car and pay to operate it but you buy it as well. ( avis and hertz loves you ) Since this form of funding is unconstitutional we should be reviewing the options on how to become legally correct in fund raising for schools. To believe in the concepts and ideas that it is acceptable for local lobby's and state wide representatives to continue to ROB the citizens of ohio who have worked for their property (every nickle and dime ) through out their life is reprehensible, and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of constitutional law.

DeRolph v. State was a landmark case in Ohio constitutional law in which the Ohio Supreme Court ruled that the state's method for funding public education was unconstitutional. Handed down on March 24, 1997, the 4-3 opinion said that the state funding system "fails to provide for a thorough and efficient system of common schools" as required by the Ohio Constitution and directed the state to find a remedy. The court would look at the case several times over the next 12 years before relinquishing jurisdiction, though the underlying problems with the school funding system were never fully solved.

this is the problem that needs to be solved. Keep your eye on the ball. Or sit in the stands and eat popcorn and get FAT!!!!  (make sure there is plenty of butter on it )

research in sales tax & income tax option for equality in public school funding. 

Overview

First the schools would have to quit operating in the mindset that they have to spend their entire budget each year that is raised from fund raising.

Second each school district would have to have a general fund trust for surplus for the purpose of renovation of any type or educational improvements.

Third the state would fund all 615 school districts equally so they had a common thread as the supreme court ruling ask for . For this they might use the cost per student locally plus a % of the share of funds raised by the state as to allow savings for future development of the district. Over time all districts would have significant savings and could with out bonds, levys , or property tax improve what ever they could agree upon as a school board that is in compliance with state regulators.

Funding

If the state would increase by 3 % sales tax and income tax to include corporate income tax the numbers are substantial.

In 2012 ohio collected $25,924,024,000.00  tax data from

http://www.governing.com/gov-data/state-tax-revenue-data.html

add 3 % and you have  additional $777,720,720.00

divide that by 615 school districts’ and each district gets $43,417,171.08

subtract yearly operating cost and start the district trust fund for physical facility improvement and other deemed important developments in education.

While my arithmetic was done with a simple calculator and one could say I raised it to much, you can see that with some thought the state economist and bookkeepers could help legislators come up with a algorithm that would provide for schools to have the resources needed with out unfair taxing of property owners private or commercial. Since land tax funding of public education has been deemed unconstitutional .(DeRolph v. State a landmark case in Ohio constitutional law) a system that reflects the above specifications in one way or another would solve the problem.  Land tax funding of public schools would be abolished. The tax would be spread over the entire population more equally.

Yes we would still have to pay, however with schools saving for future generations threw their own state regulated trust funds it would bring a new dynamic to the table where education was the focus not the budget. The state allows state funded retirement funds for their state funded employees. This is a propagating account with the purpose of distribution to a set goal. What I suggest is similar in nature for our public school institutions.

chmoore1  you have asked What can we do to fix the schools real estate property. I posted the above with no answer from you so I can tell you are truly not interested in fixing the problem. since the propagation of the current system is unconstitutional  you would still at this point prefer to violate constitutional law.  These facts cannot be negated since you continue to post on this blog with the inability to compromise and be constitutionally legal.

its your duty as well as the governments constitutional duty to “provide for a thorough and efficient system of common schools" common denotes that the school in Indian hills should be a carbon copy of the school in middletown. They are not because people like you and the lobby you represent continue to violate our constitutional freedoms by propagating a illegal form of funding schools.

please don't hesitate to tell me your opinion as

Brevity is the soul of wit   /  and with out laughter over the kinks in society anarchy might prevail.

and that's the rest of the story , good day ( Paul Harvey 1946)

aflatkey
aflatkey View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aflatkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 2:57pm
  ELPP procedures ARE UNCONSTITUTIONAL
THEY PROPIGATE A ILLIGAL FORM OF SCHOOL FUNDING
ABOLISH LAND TAX FUNDING OF PUBLIC SCHOOLS

DeRolph v. State was a landmark case in Ohio constitutional law in which the Ohio Supreme Court ruled that the state's method for funding public education was unconstitutional. Handed down on March 24, 1997, the 4-3 opinion said that the state funding system "fails to provide for a thorough and efficient system of common schools" as required by the Ohio Constitution and directed the state to find a remedy. The court would look at the case several times over the next 12 years before relinquishing jurisdiction, though the underlying problems with the school funding system were never fully solved.

For funding of public schools we need equal taxation of all citizens that dose not bear unequal responsibility on property owners. With the fact that property based taxation
is taxation with out equal representation (Bill of Rights 1689) I pose the fact that all of humanity that resides in any particular principality should bear the cost of education threw a sales tax , income tax or have each family bear the cost for the children they bring into the world. Funding public education on the backs of property owners is unconstitutional. Vote no on may 6 if you want to make a change in the current system!!

VOTE NO AND CHAGE THE
SYSTEM OF FUNDING
PUBLIC SCHOOLS

aflatkey
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 5:12pm
Aflatkey: you state "In 2012 ohio collected $25,924,024,000.00 tax data from

http://www.governing.com/gov-data/state-tax-revenue-data.html

add 3 % and you have additional $777,720,720.00

divide that by 615 school districts’ and each district gets $43,417,171.08"

The additional 3% ($777,720,720) divided by 615 districts equals just over $1 million per school district ($1,264,587).   just 1chmoore, trying to be helpful.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 5:42pm
You are correct chm1. I think the extra $ Mm might pay for heating at Vail for a few years, but not fund the district.

Also, Ohio would lose commerce significantly with sales tax surpassing 10%. And, it would be inequitable, as it doesn't take into account tax base valuation.

Flat tax at the federal level would need to be in place before reliance on a an increase in sales tax, but some payment in addition to property tax is prudent, ergo Florida, others. 

chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 5:51pm
Aflatkey: you stated "chmoore1 you have asked What can we do to fix the schools real estate property. I posted the above with no answer from you so I can tell you are truly not interested in fixing the problem. since the propagation of the current system is unconstitutional you would still at this point prefer to violate constitutional law. These facts cannot be negated since you continue to post on this blog with the inability to compromise and be constitutionally legal...."

Gee, Aflatkey, I'm sorry that I didn't read your diatribe in depth, and respond immediately. That sure does show the world that I'm not really interested in solving the problem.   Here's the reality: MMS is a mess. It needs to be TOTALLY RENOVATED (at $38M +) or replaced at $40M reimbursed by the state. Now, apparently, some in the community are indicating that they would vote for the levy as long as the building isn't bulldozed afterward. Mrs. Andrew wrote an excellent post about the loss of the personal property taxes by commercial owners. Gov. Kasich stopped that by veto. Trying to change the government by this "No" vote tactic isn't going to work (at least not in the near future). The need is now---renovate or build new. And, by the way, try sharpening your calculator (see, I did respond to your post.) just 1chmoore.
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 5:54pm
Aflatkey: one more thing: I will try very hard to put everything else on hold so that I can respond immediately to your posts. After all, I don't want you to think that I don't care! just 1chmoore.
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 6:43pm
Don't be too critical of Aflatkey's math.  He probably went to school in an old building and we all know that you can't learn in an old building, so it's not his fault. Tongue
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 7:30pm
Marcia Andrew:

How can the voters be certain that the Board of Education does not have a plan to pull the "ol' switcheroo" on the voters, and change the plan if the levy were to pass?

Remember what happened immediately after the last levy passed and Creekview/Rosedale were suddenly forsaken in favor of the until-then-unmentioned Miller Ridge.  
aflatkey View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aflatkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 7:46pm

sure i made a mistake ok but it took you a week to see it. in any case i still belevie

land tax is unconstitutional
it taxes  some twice if they own more than one pice of property
dual taxation is illegal for the same purpose
that is not right
and it dose not address the issue that the schools dont have a common thread
that rich neighbor hoods get better schools than poor
that property owners pay for all citizens children education
that they continue to propigate a illegal system of funding
it taxes residents that do not participate in public education
private shcool , home schooling  ect.

education is an elective in this country , even teen agers can opt out of the system with parental concent.
i will think of some more things as time passes and hope is that you and your lobby are defeated.
that you find a way to fund your public schools with out unfair taxes to the property owners.

no im not the smartest monkey in the barrell but i did get out and am unwilling to think you just have to do the same old thing to passifie the grind on goverment waste.

may be you should consider living in westchester or lakota where there is plenty of money for goverment as usual.

land tax to fund schools is not fair to the childeren. the children of indian hills get all the good stuff , while other communitys suffer as the gap in the middle class widens and people have a hard time affording gas to get to work.

if you would like to increase the exedus from your community (middletown) continue to raise taxes and fees .
most people I know cant move out of here because they live week to week and cant afford to move.

economic slavory - where is the justice in that ??

whould you like to increase foreclousure of propertys and then have the city pay to tear them down ?
raise taxes is your awnser !!
reast ashured any property owner i have talked to dose not want to pay any more regardless of the doom you predict.

look at the bright side you dont live in somalia , and have to fight over bread with a weapon.
you dont have the russians trying to take your state by force
you dont live in a arab country where the sword might be your demise.

there are pleanty of good things with out haveing the best money can buy for phisical facilitys in public shcools.

did you wake this morning ? that was not beacuse you are happy about taxes .  it was beacuse____________
fill in the blank as your faith dictates.

count your blessings and  be happy your not dead. shcools come and go, but your lifes finances should not be didctated by laws that are unconstitutional.

VOTE NO AND CHAGE THE
SYSTEM OF FUNDING
PUBLIC SCHOOLS

Brevity is the soul of wit   /  and with out laughter over the kinks in society anarchy might prevail.

aflatkey
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 7:59pm
chm1, and Ms. Andrew; while appreciating the in-depth response and analysis, the reality is as follows associated with the MCSD accepting funds in 2004.

It received a meager matching state % of the state of Ohio. I also add, WHY is the BOE allowing its election committee, state it receiving 42% as if it is a discount, and not 26%.

'[W]hy are we getting these buildings at a “reduced” rate?

If residents pass this bond issue, the state has committed to funding 42% of the cost.  That’s like getting a discount at the checkout register of 42% on an item!

Expanded Answer

The Ohio School Facilities Commission (OSFC) is a state commission responsible for building and renovating schools in Ohio. The OSFC is providing 42% of the project costs if our district residents commit to funding the other 58%.

• State Share: 42% or $40,000,000.00
  • Local Share: 58% or $55,000,000.00'

Additionally, the situation with Kasich is such, a lower tax base HELPS a district by increasing the percentile. While comprehending locking in ELPP, as it serves as an advance of CFAP, it does not lock in the proper percentile for CFAP, admittedly, still less than ideal, at 34%. Frankly....which is it? The election committee states 42%, the shopping discount, the state states 34% CFAP based on 66 percentile, and there is also 26$.

Finally, we all agree that this is not, " pass it or lose it", and in a matter of years, the percentile match would undoubtedly be more favorable to Middletown than the present.

MCSD would fall into the LAPSED category and would have about 60 districts in that category, as there is presently.

aflatkey View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aflatkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 8:10pm
Don't be too critical of Aflatkey's math.  He probably went to school in an old building and we all know that you can't learn in an old building, so it's not his fault. Tongue

as a matter of fact the building i went to school in was over 100 years old in 1976 when i graduated. steam heat , no air , ibm electric typerwriters , you know with the ball!!  that was high tech back then.  To me it was the relation ship with the teacher that gave you a interest in learning. If teachers dont like the lack of air they should teach in a private shcool  - saint x  ect-  fenwick - or others.  if a teacher is commited it has nothing to do with the enemitys of the facility they work at .  As a adult I have mentored many young adults to a productive life style. We do this outside in the balzzing heat every summer. Some call it work ethic. Not all graduate from this mentoring .Some just expect  a paycheck with out showing progress with their own walk in life.  Failure is in the eye of the beholder as some are content with just the basics of life not aspiaring to any productive level in society.  you will still have thouse kind of students in your new shcools. I remeber back in the 80's when schools just bought trailors (monroe)and made class rooms of them. That inexpensive , you can rent lease, or get a donation for things like that.  Just buy some cheap trailors and make some air conditioned class rooms.  then studdy the results. Air will not make better students. it will just put them to sleep in a confort zone.  lots of schools in oklahoma are trailor style.

aflatkey
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 8:15pm
As a point of clarity, I comprehend the carry-forward aspect of the $40 Mm, and 42%, as you have stated, although the logic defies me. But, it would seem to be misleading to use 42% as a state match, when its 26%, and taxpayers did not gain the benefit from the initial Phase 1 matching state funds.

In sum, the taxpayers are absorbing 74% of $156 Mm, which to date, has had no impact upon school performance. 

aflatkey View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aflatkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 8:15pm
The Ohio School Facilities Commission (OSFC) is a state commission responsible for building and renovating schools in Ohio.

they should fund 100 % of the project as it is unconstitutional to do any other thing.
for them to barter with communitys is to brake constitutional law and violate the citizens constitutional freedoms.

you dont barter with the devil do you ?
make your goverment do the right thing provide equal education for all communitys!!!!
aflatkey
aflatkey View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aflatkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 8:26pm

news flash !!!!!!!!!!

facebook vote middes  165 likes since october ? right ?

facebook Middletown, Ohio- Vote NO on Issue 3   160 likes since last thursday.

this will be interesting as we get close to may 6

aflatkey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
  Share Topic