Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Saturday, April 20, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Marcia Andrew- ORC 3318.29?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marcia Andrew- ORC 3318.29?
    Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 9:20pm
Ms. Andrew, if I may, to understand this fully, did the school board have the state hold back its matching contribution of 26% matching funds for Phase 1 in 2004 so that it could be used as a sales pitch in Phase 2, the state would provide 42% funding in the present, and the reference to 'PASS IT OR LOSE IT" is associated with ORC 3318.29? If so, by the 10 year maturity, this strategy will cost the taxpayersapproximately $15.86 MM for Phase 1?

I took .26% of 156 MM MINUS 95 MM, BALANCE FOR PHASE 1,

Thank you. Below... is this the reference to 'lose it."?

3318.29 Maximum maturity and terms of obligations.

The maximum maturity of any obligations issued pursuant to section 3318.26 of the Revised Code to provide moneys for the school building program assistance fund shall be ten years. The terms of the obligations shall be such that in any fiscal year the aggregate amount of moneys from the lottery profits education fund, and not from other sources, that are pledged to pay bond service charges on obligations issued to provide moneys for the school building program assistance fund shall not exceed ten million dollars. As used in this section, "other sources" includes the annual investment income on special funds to the extent the income will be available for payment of any bond service charges in lieu of use of moneys from the lottery profits education fund. The annual investment income shall be estimated on the basis of the expected funding of those special funds and assumed investment earnings thereon at a rate equal to the weighted average yield on investments of those special funds determined as of any date within sixty days immediately preceding the date of issuance of the bonds in respect of which the determination is being made. The determinations required by this section shall be made by the treasurer of state at the time of issuance of an issue of obligations and shall be conclusive for purposes of such issuance of obligations from and after their issuance and delivery.

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 10:10pm
chm1, I wanted to clean the many threads that have accompanied this lengthy discussion and started a new one captioned to Ms. Andrew's attention. When you state we have to pursue that $40 MM, a very disappointing 26% match by the state, a 42% mischaracterization which was clarified by Ms. Andrew, the facts are the district pulled the trigger too maturely for funds arguably in 2004, initially in  Phase 1 using ELPP, and now we have CFAP in Phase 2, also at 26%, associated with a contract obligation which evidently cannot be altered.

It boggles the mind to comprehend with Middletown in such deep decline, admittedly, not fully expected in 2004, the expectation is taxpayers will pay $156 MM out of pocket, for a pultry match of $40 MM from the state. In reality, the district would not be losing anything, as it was not entitled to any funding through ELPP, and CFAP is still only 26% of the overall contract.

How utterly, and completely disappointing.

Upon these facts, the decline in the district, and the financial aspects of Middletown, the scope in Phase 2 under CFAP should have been altered in many individual's opinion . This was a train ride set in 2004 that has not taken into account the real estate downfall in 2008, and all that has occurred to the district and city from 2004 to the present with modifications.

This expenditure for two phases will be $156 MM....greater than voters have ever considered for public safety, for roads and infrastructure, and with virtually no ROI. Astounding.

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 2:06pm
Acclaro,

No, the school board did not have the state hold back its 26% in 2004.  That was not a choice of the district; that was the way the program was set up by the state.  If the state paid out the 26% in 2004, it would have been allowing the district to "jump ahead" of districts ahead of it in the ranking according to need (as determined by the state).

The provision of the law you cite, section 3318.29, does not appear to me to have anything to do with Middletown's situation.  It is referring to bond obligations of the State, not of local school districts.

The district chose to particpate in the two-phase ELPP in 2004, and the voters approved it.  The ELPP controls both phases of the project and locks the district into 26% state 'match' for both phases.  The second phase which this second bond would fund (middle/high school) is part of the ELPP, it is not under CFAP.  CFAP is the funding mechanism that controls for districts that waited for their number to come up before doing any part of their master plan.

Are you suggesting that the district should have predicted in 2004, that the State would throw a curve ball and wipe out 30% of the district's tax base by eliminating tangible personal property taxes?  Without knowing that, it would have been quite remarkable for the district in 2004 to have said, no, let's not build now, let's wait 10 years because our state share could double because it is likely our tax valuation will decrease by 30% due to some event that won't also cause all the rest of the school districts in the state to also decrease by 30%?  Which was more likely, that this dramatic shift in the ranking of the tax base of the district compared to the rest of the state would occur in 10 years, or that construction costs would increase over 10 years?
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 5:04pm
Ms. Andrew,
I have met you on the Oxford campus. I know Dr. Price well personally, whom I like a great deal and have an amiable relationship.
The Middletown Board under Dr. Price's tutelage, did communicate to the constituents in the city during Phase 1, passing it would generate more student enrollment, spin the needle to EXCELLENCE in academic achievement, and enhance Middletown's reputation throughout southwestern Ohio as a pillar of academic performance. 
With the upmost respect, level truthfully with the voters, and listen. Isn't this the theme you indicated was the greatest strength of Mr. Rasmussen, his willingness to listen? 
The district signed the contract with the OFAP because it desperately needed increased enrollment, and the buildings were expected to lure more students into Middletown. Also, it is not MCSD'S turn to get funding, as number one in ranking. It's the contract term entered in 2004 has a 10 year expiration, and the BOE delayed the Phase 2 levy for a decade, awaiting results that never appeared. The 26% is embedded in a contract that expires shortly. There also was a request to the city by the MCSD superintendent to open SECTION 8 further to the community, a form of enrollment.   
Copy of the signed ELPP AGREEMENT- hanging around somewhere digitally on the BOE website for public consumption?        
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 6:06pm
Dean, I will take your word for it that we have met, although since you post anonymously it is hard to know, isn't it?  And the only thing that takes me to the Oxford campus is YMCA swim meets, so are you saying we met at a swim meet?
I am always truthful, with voters as with anyone else, and do not appreciate your implication that I have not been truthful.

Before the district signed the ELPP agreement with the state, the state facilities commission sent its experts to evaluate all of the district's school buildings, and determined that they all needed to be either replaced or substantially renovated. 

You write, "Also, it is not MCSD'S turn to get funding, as number one in ranking. It's the contract term entered in 2004 has a 10 year expiration, and the BOE delayed the Phase 2 levy for a decade, awaiting results that never appeared. The 26% is embedded in a contract that expires shortly. There also was a request to the city by the MCSD superintendent to open SECTION 8 further to the community, a form of enrollment. "

You are incorrect in several ways.  The agreement that MCSD signed with the state in 2004 does not have a 10 year expiration.  The BOE did not delay the Phase 2 levy for a decade.  The State OSFC originally estimated that Middletown's "number" would come up in 2010.  However, due to lower investment returns than expected on the state building fund, the state proceeded down the rank list more slowly than anticipated, and our "number" did not come up until last year.  So, it IS MCSD's turn to get funding.  We were notified that it was our turn, that our "number' had come up, last year, in July.  We proceeded to get final approval of our project scope and to place the second phase bond levy on the November ballot, where it failed by a narrow margin.  The state gives a district 13 months from approval to pass their local bond levy, so MCSD has until August 2014 to pass the bond levy.  I have stated elsewhere, this May ballot is our last chance within that window, as the district would have to pay the cost of a special election in August, and the board has rejected that alternative.  The 26% is embedded in the ELPP agreement, but that agreement does not expire shortly.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 6:12pm
Dean, some of the swim meets I attended on the Oxford campus were high school district competitions, not all were YMCA meets.  I just re-read my post, and realized I left that out.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 8:01am
DEAN:

"The Middletown Board under Dr. Price's tutelage, did communicate to the constituents in the city during Phase 1, passing it would generate more student enrollment, spin the needle to EXCELLENCE in academic achievement, and enhance Middletown's reputation throughout southwestern Ohio as a pillar of academic performance"

I CAN REMEMBER THIS MESSAGE BEFORE THE ELEMENTARY BOND LEVY FROM PRICE. NO ONE CAN SEEM TO RECALL THIS BEING SAID.

WILL THE VOTERS APPROVE GOOD MONEY AFTER BAD? BEFORE THEY PUNCH THAT YES BUTTON THIS TIME, WILL THEY REMEMBER THE 45 MILLION SPENT ON THE ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS AND RECOGNIZE IT RESULTED IN LITTLE TO NO IMPROVED PERFORMANCE? WILL THEY REWARD A DISTRICT THAT HAS NOT LIVED UP TO THE ALLEGED PROMISES FROM PRICE? WILL THE PEOPLE BE FOOLED AGAIN BY THE PRE-PROGRAMMED MESSAGE HEARD BEFORE EVERY VOTE FROM THE SCHOOLS...."GIVE US WHAT WE ASK FOR AND EVERYTHING WILL BE BETTER" HAS IT GOTTEN BETTER TO WARRANT AN INITIAL 45 MILLION AND NOW ANOTHER 55 MILLION? PROF TESTS IMPROVED? NOPE, NOT REALLY. INDICATORS IMPROVED? NO, NOT REALLY. ANY REAL CHANGE TO IMPROVE DELIVERY OF SUBJECT MATTER THAT HAS RESULTED IN UPWARD MEASURABLE RESULTS? NOT REALLY. WILL THE GRADES IMPROVE FROM VAIL TO THIS NEW MIDDLE SCHOOL TO WARRANT THE COST? DON'T KNOW, BUT IF YOU USE THE DATA FROM OLD ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS TO NEW AS TO "WORTH THE COST", PROBABLY NOT. DO NEW BUILDINGS REALLY MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE AS PRICE ALLEGEDLY CLAIMED IT WOULD? DOESN'T APPEAR TO BE THE CASE.

IF SO, WHAT WOULD BE THE REASON YOU WOULD WANT TO REMOVE MORE MONEY FROM YOUR WALLET WITH ADDITIONAL PROPERTY TAXES TO SANCTION MORE DISMAL RESULTS? NOT LOGICAL.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 10:52am
Ms. Andrew; while not exerting the effort to debate whether the district should have forecast future events associated with economic decline, and the annual CPI or inflation rate for comparison to leverage building economics, which the state sets forth in ORC, the district was a harbinger predicting results from buildings which arose after the passage of the 2004 levy, and upon grounds the BOE articulated at that time-frame. In other words, the BOE and Dr. Price were fortune tellers, visionaries, harbingers, in 2004, for the benefit of the schools in raising property values, increase enrollment, enhance performance, reduce costs, by increasing enrollment and numbers moving into Middletown district....none, I add, that materialized.

You make reference also the contract with the state doesn't expire, so which is the controlling aspect of the agreement? Is it 26% through the duration of the term, or is it 13 months after the expiration of the availability of funding? What is the meaning of the contract and its controlling mean of term---it should be the duration of the agreement.

There will be numerous levies after this one I add. Teachers which have been on hold for awaiting getting Phase 2 passed, will want pay increases. When is that planned? Next, with the city failing to deliver economic impact, city income tax will be on  a ballot. The resultant will be this circuitous, never ending cycle of lower tax base within the city, compensated by residents, which will have diminished property valuation associated with market demand associated with the above.

$116,000,000 out of pocket for school buildings having no effect upon education, and the BOE concerned about homework inequalities and completion by some parents versus those that the parents don't lend a hand. When I read and digest the economies of this pursuit by the BOE, Phase 1-2, I keep hearing play, 'It's a Mad World.'            
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 1:44pm
Direct quotes from letter to MCSD from OSFC dated May 20, 2013, notifiying district that it is scheduled to be recommended for approval for eligibility of state funding this year:
"Should your School District elect to forego participation in the program this year, please be aware that you may do so, but the Commission cannot give any assurance as to when your School District would next be eligible for funding."

"Upon receipt of your approved resolution [to participate in the funding program], the next action involving your project is the Commission's Determination of Conditional Approval, which is scheduled to occur on July 11, 2013. The Commission's Resolution of Conditional Approval will then be submitted to the Ohio Controlling Board for approval and certification of funds on July 22, 2013.  The State funds approved by the Ohio Controlling Board will be committed to your School District for thirteen months from the time of the Certification of Conditional Approval.  If your School District is unable to raise the local share within thirteen months, the State funds reserved for your School District will be released."
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 5:06pm
It appears to me, ignoring some of the nonsense, that the arguments for and against the school bond levy come down to the following.
For: Will provide a better learning environment since it will be across the street from a University and will be on the same campus as the High School
     The current Middle School is in poor shape and will cost more to rehabilitate than to build new.
     The current Middle School is outside the population center and is not in a desirable area of the city

Against: Most arguments are variations on the "not worth the money" theme. Examples are; won't help learning and test scores, no return on investment; the city has more pressing issues to address.

I personally look at this as both an infrastructure issue and a "what type of city do you want to live in" issue.

Many have argued that the city roads are crumbling and are in need of repaving. I agree but what is the ROI on road repair? I can drive down Central avenue on a dirt road almost as easily as I can a newly paved road. I would prefer a newly paved road but don't really need one to get from the east to the west end. Would a newly paved road improve the performance of the city however you want to measure it? I seriously doubt that it would. Would it save people enough money to get a reasonable ROI...I doubt it. But many people who are advocating defeating the levy are arguing for road repair. The only difference that I see is that the new roads directly affect them, while new schools only indirectly affect them. Seems a bit self serving to me to argue for roads and other infrastructure while ignoring the schools.

I personally don't want to live in a city with crumbling infrastructure (roads, schools, sewers, water lines, etc) It's not an ROI issue it's a livability issue. I believe that many others think this same way. If we want to attract people to Middletown, and keep people from leaving, we need to do what it takes to improve the livability of Middletown. A large part of this is bringing our infrastructure up to speed...including schools...and if the state wants to help us with some money, then so much the better.

The school bond levy won't, by itself, right Middletown. It won't improve the test scores, but it is one necessary step towards rebuilding Middletown...to help set it up for the future...to help stem the erosion in property values...to help to start attracting people to Middletown.

A journey of a thousand miles starts with one step. This is a good first step. Please vote Yes.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 6:44pm
The argument seems to be consistently, the building block for the future starts with the levy pass, and a capital expenditure greater than $116,000,000. That comes after ten (10) years of no performance gain, one of the worst records in southwestern Ohio, a city losing its most prominent citizens, and housing prices which going back to 1988, barely kept pace with inflation, and presently, is not at a level the houses were purchased 25 years ago. And, you state ROI means nothing? Tell that processor to the upper income earner desperately needed to pump up valuation of housing and test score performance.

The city and school system have failed both the residents and businesses, and the flip flop as to who and what comes first, a school, safety, roads, et al, is now on iteration 3, just altering its position with the levy in front before it.

In 1988 I paid 225,000 for a house that with inflation, should be worth using Future Net Value, 450,000 to break even on the capital spent then. Lets forget about a 3-5 % gain per year.

True valuation in 2014? $165,000., with 80,000. in capital improvement. You wish to avoid speaking ROI, appreciation of capital? There will not be a high income buyer coming to Middletown, other than fire sale buying the second and third home for a summer visit. 

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 7:43pm
processor:

"I can drive down Central avenue on a dirt road almost as easily as I can a newly paved road. I would prefer a newly paved road but don't really need one to get from the east to the west end. Would a newly paved road improve the performance of the city however you want to measure it? "

Drive any road in the city and you will risk the possibility of a major car repair, be it broken axle, bent rim, blown tires, suspension ruined or the lesser, out of alignment will occur. It is as important to have decent roads and infrastructure as it is to have your new schools processor. Neither I, as a supporter of a levy defeat, nor you, as a levy supporter, has the right answer for this. The health of the city relies on both (and other categories).....IMO, most important.......decent jobs. They create a certain degree of wealth, can cause disposable income for spending, which creates money flow in the community. Jobs provide opportunities for people to buy items like houses, cars, furniture, entertainment, becoming a legitimate taxpayer contributing....etc. Alot of good things happen after we equip the people of this city with decent jobs. Things start to really change if we have enough of 'em and, with the proper leadership and prioritization from the city leaders, will heal the city as quickly as any other method. Gotta get the low income and ghetto thinking out of here too while we clean up the city, physically and in perception. What is occuring now is not the right focus and it just isn't enough effort to change things.

processor:

"The school bond levy won't, by itself, right Middletown. It won't improve the test scores, but it is one necessary step towards rebuilding Middletown...to help set it up for the future...to help stem the erosion in property values...to help to start attracting people to Middletown."

No, if history is accurate, based on the new elementary school results comparing old schools to new, there hasn't been any evidence that a newly built school will be an eye-opener and IMO, again based on the 45 million dollar outlay for all new schools, isn't worth the investment nor effort to try again. BUT, here we are again, listening to the "let's build all new schools" people, wanting now, what hasn't worked in the past bond levies. Logic here.....if the elementary bond levy didn't produce any advanatage as to test scores, bringing new people into the city, nor effectively teaching the kids to succeed, WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD THESE SAME PEOPLE WANT TO TRY IT AGAIN AT THE MIDDLE SCHOOL LEVY. This is a classic case of placing good money after bad, with the added benefit of having seen what the first round of new schools have produced. Some haven't learned a thing, have they. Improving test scores? Mercy, I hope it would do that at the very least.....but then it didn't improve anything with the last bond levy did it.

Nope. There is no logical reason to vote yes for this levy. That logic is based on the results of the first go-around which produced squat.IE- no improved performance, no increase in population, an enrollment loss, people leaving....etc. A total waste of money IMO. We could have seen the same results in the old schools without spending the 45 million. YOU CAN BUILD ALL THE NEW SCHOOLS YOU WANT, BUT, THEN AGAIN, THIS IS MIDDLETOWN, A CITY THAT CAN'T SEEM TO GET OUT OF IT'S OWN WAY AND AS INEPT AS CITY'S COME AS TO DIRECTION AND LEADERSHIP. IT WON'T SUCCEED BECAUSE WE NEED TO CHANGE THE THINKING (AND PEOPLE) RUNNING THE CITY AND THE SCHOOLS TO ACHIEVE ANYTHING BETTER. FACILITIES DON'T DO THE THINKING.

Do you have a portfolio? Do you pay attention to the good and poor performers along with your investment counselor? Do you tell him, after seeing a stock performance plunge, to sell it before you lose all of your investment in it? Sure you would. If you do that with your stocks, pray tell, why wouldn't you dump (stop financially supporting) the poor performer in a school district setting. If there is no value added in your investment, you re-route your money into something that is worthy, right? So far, the schools are not "worthy". JMO
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 12:07pm
Vet,
I agree with you statement that "it is as important to have decent roads and infrastructure as it is to have new schools". It is all infrastructure and all needs work. This was my point. This is an opportunity to address the school portion of the infrastructure and get that completed. I also agree with you that more and better jobs are needed to help stem the tide. To attract businesses many things are needed...one of which is excellent infrastructure...including school buildings.

I don't see where your stock portfolio analogy is appropriate for this situation. The difference is that I don't work for and am not a large owner of the company's stock that is in my portfolio. If I owned a huge percentage of a business and relied on the business's success for my financial well being, I wouldn't just dump it....I would try and fix it and bring it up to par. This is what we need to do with Middletown...fix it and bring it up to par and it starts with infrastructure repair (roads, sewers, school buildings, etc)

This ties in with Acclaro's point regarding the drop in his house's value. He owns and lives in the house. Unless he wants to take a huge financial step backwards he can't just dump it. He needs to try and do what it takes to re-build its value and its value is tied in with the city's success or lack thereof. I'm convinced that infrastructure rehabilitation is part of bringing Middletown back and that this includes school buildings.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 1:05pm
processor, I respectfully disagree with you viewpoint physical buildings in the form of new schools increase property values and stem erosion of valuation.

Lets be candid. Passing a building levy is a position of parity for MCSD, not an academic break-through, a game-changer. Hence, there is no benefit nor correlation, it will bring about an increase in valuation, or is the first step in building positive infrastructure.

In fact, it does just the opposite. With higher taxation, and no benefit gained from performance, the market valuation will decline further. We all would aqree the most fundamental theme espoused when buying and locating is "location,location, location." What does 'location' mean? Well....excellent schools, excellent security and safety, excellent shopping, excellent economic stability. The word "excellent" is the common operative.

Middletown will be moving forward on many tax levies in the near term; Moody's will be considering another down-grade in July, tax revenue will decline yet again, for the fiurth consecutive year, the school report card will come out in a few months, with another CI rating, necessitating more taxes, and weakened demand. Therefore, 'the infrastructure doesn't improve the 'location' attractiveness of Middletown. Indeed, it can't, because at best, the new school just keeps MCSD at parity with other districts who have new buildings. So, the net sum gain is back to where it started, or in this scenario, moving backward, associated with more debt, less revenue, and many sources in need of revenue that is showing a negative decline, and getting worse.

I am perplexed by your position on the Middletown Towne Mall, and the deviation associated with the schools. I  completely disagree with your statement this is the first step in building a recovery. There is no recovery when consuming funds which have no fundamental impact upon education, and keep the city only in the best case scenario, in a position they have what other districts already have----newer schools, but without the accompanying academic performance.

processor post below: [ Aren't We Surrounded By Better School Districts And Risk? MCSD Also catching up?

Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 11:17am
There is no hope for the mall as a mall as it's already surrounded by better malls. Monroe outlet, Bridgewater Falls, Austin Pike and the new Steiner development. The owners would need to spend hundred's of millions of dollars to develop it into something that already exists, or will exist shortly, just up the road. I wouldn't take the risk and I would be shocked if they would. The citizens of Middletown can't support such a development by themselves due to a lack of spending power (witness Target closing) and why would people from other areas drive past current malls just to go to the Middletown mall unless it's really special...which would take a ton of money...and risk.

Too late. The time to do this was 15 years ago before the others were developed or in the process of development.
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 1:55pm
Acclaro,
The difference between my position on the mall and the school buildings is that Middletown Students are forced by law to either attend Middletown schools, pay twice for education (private school tuition and property taxes) attend a charter school (most in Middletown are not very good) or use a voucher (only from some school buildings) and go out of the city and be responsible for getting there and back.

This makes the situation between a private enterprise (the mall) and a government enterprise (the schools) different. People are basically, for all practical purposes, stuck in attending the public school where they live. Therefore we're "stuck" making it as good as possible. No one is stuck shopping at a particular store.

Only time will tell if your position, or my position, regarding the school building is the best one and even then we won't know for sure since we won't be running each option in parallel to see which works best. I agree that this won't bring our buildings to the top. I think we'll be better than parity but only until the other communities build theirs.

Frankly, for me, the largest issue is the location of Vail. It is not in a location that is conducive to attracting families to Middletown that would be able to purchase your house.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 2:10pm
processor....with all due respect; isn't that what makes 'open enrollment"  an attractive remedy?

A student can go to Monroe or Lebanon, many schools around the area.....even Franklin, or Madison.

If the private sector is expected to gain results associated with funding, so should the school system, as there is no difference other than profit status. Non profit hospitals fail, so do school districts. The bad school districts lose enrollment and support.

Will there ever exist a plan of action in MCSD to minimize drop-outs, and achieve an EXCELLENT rating?

Building a new school does not achieve that goal, unfortunately. Arguably, it doesn't facilitate it either.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:37pm
processor:

"Frankly, for me, the largest issue is the location of Vail. It is not in a location that is conducive to attracting families to Middletown that would be able to purchase your house."

OK, LET'S MAKE THIS VERY SIMPLE. MAKE YOUR CHOICE BELOW:

Question:

FROM A SCHOOL CHOICE STANDPOINT, WOULD A FAMILY, LOOKING TO RELOCATE, BE ATTRACTED TO LOCATE TO MIDDLETOWN BECAUSE:

A. THEY LIKE THE SCHOOL BUILDINGS BECAUSE THEY ARE BRAND NEW AND THEY WANT THEIR KIDS TO ATTEND THOSE NEW SCHOOLS EVEN THOUGH THEY KNOW THAT THE CONTENT OF THE EDUCATION THEIR KIDS WILL RECEIVE IS, AND HAS BEEN IN A "CONTINUAL IMPROVEMENT" CATEGORY FOR YEARS WITH A TRACK RECORD OF BEING ONE OF THE LOWER PERFORMING DISTRICTS AROUND THE AREA

OR

B. THEY WANT THEIR KIDS TO ATTEND MIDDLETOWN SCHOOLS, EVEN THOUGH THE MIDDLE SCHOOL. BUILT IN 1922, IS NOT IN THE BEST OF LOCATIONS, NEW, NOR MODERN, BUT THEY KNOW, BASED ON THE DATA FROM YEAR TO YEAR, THAT THEIR KIDS WILL RECEIVE A TOP NOTCH EDUCATION, REGARDLESS OF THE AGE OF THE FACILITIES.

BOTTOM LINE IS THIS. IF THE SCHOOLS HAVE A REPUTATION FOR PRODUCING A TOP NOTCH LEARNING ENVIRONMENT, AND CONTINUALLY PRODUCE GOOD RESULTS WITH A GREAT REPUTATION, WOULD IT BE A GAME CHANGER IF THE BUILDINGS WERE AS OLD AS VAIL? IMO, IT IS THE CONTENT/RESULTS OF THE PROGRAM, NOT WHERE THE PROGRAM IS CONDUCTED THAT WOULD BE MOST IMPORTANT. THE ATTRACTION IS IN THE QUALITY ISN'T IT? EXAMPLE: DUKE UNIVERSITY- OLD CAMPUS-OLD BUILDINGS- HIGH REPUTATION AND A WORLD CLASS EDUCATION, WITH A RESPECTED DEGREE WHEN COMPLETED. QUALITY OF CONTENT PROCESSOR- NOT FACILITIES, ATTRACT THE PEOPLE. JMO

processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:42pm
Vet,
I would want both...attractive building in a safe location coupled with a quality education.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:53pm
processor, I neglected to address your "move it" position.

As I indicated elsewhere, this is nothing but a mulligan play. The Atrium failed, strike 1, the new elementary schools were built, premised on new growth, driving in loads of residents. Strike 2.

Now, lets pull out the mulligan, I need another shot after two failures. Tee it up, and swing away with $95 Mm. Don't forget there's a stroke penalty with the mulligan. So moving the middle school will drive buyers to Middletown, if it were closer to the high school, and MUM. In addition, I might be able to rent my house a few times a year for a week at a time, for those in town for the basketball tournament, with that three gym sports complex to be built at a total of 156,000,000 and 116,000,000 on the backs of the taxpayer.

Moving the school may have worked had it not been for

1)  Crime

2)  Shrinking enrollment

3)  Bad infrastructure

4)  Concern about Middletown's fiduciary capacity.

5) CI ranking, parents care more about the report card than building

6)  Future Outlook- dismal getting worse, not better

If you want the mulligan, its available, but not a stroke penalty NOT on the residents, but the BOE.

processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 4:07pm
Acclaro,
So what's your solution? Something practical that can be implemented.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 4:29pm
Well.....if there was time, delay the vote, retrench, modify the Phase 2 approach, take 26% match after a whittled down number for the middle school, throw out much of LFI.  

Or let this play out, May 6th vote, if it fails, district gets back in line.

If it passes, always the remedy of the tax appeal.

Train pretty far down the tracks, looks like May 6 will be it. 

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 4:38pm
processor:

"To attract businesses many things are needed...one of which is excellent infrastructure...including school buildings."

I WOULD LIKE TO AMEND YOUR STATEMENT HERE IF I MAY....

TO ATTRACT BUSINESSES MANY THINGS ARE NEEDED...ONE OF WHICH IS EXCELLENT INFRASTRUCTURE ...(NOW HERE IS WHERE WE DIFFER)......INCLUDING A QUALITY SCHOOL SYSTEM WITH A REPUTATION OF PRODUCING TOP NOTCH STUDENTS, NO MATTER THE CONDITION OF THE SCHOOL. AGAIN, THE "NEWNESS" OF A SCHOOL DOESN NOTHING FOR THE ATTRACTION OF BUSINESS IF STUDENTS WHO DON'T HAVE THE SKILLS FOR THE BUSINESSES TO USE ARE GRADUATING FROM THOSE SCHOOLS. BUSINESSES DON'T WANT EMPLOYEES WHO CAN'T ADD, MULTIPLY, DIVIDE, COMPOSE A SENTENCE, BE GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT OR A POOR COMMUNICATOR. IF THESE TYPES OF STUDENTS ARE COMING OUT OF A BRAND NEW SCHOOL. IT WON'T MATTER, NO ONE WILL HIRE THEM.

SAME OLD REPEATED THEME HERE FOR ME.----QUALITY CONTENT OF THE GRADUATING STUDENTS, NOT WHETHER THEY WERE EDUCATED IN A NEW BUILDING. COULD CARE LESS- NEW OR OLD, AS LONG AS THE RESULTS OF THE EDUCATION ARE HIGH CLASS AND PREPARING THEM FOR LIFE. TO DATE, WHETHER IT BE A NEW BUILDING OR OLD, THE MIDDLETOWN SCHOOL RESULTS HAVE NOT BEEN CLOSE TO THIS LEVEL. THE PERFORMANCE COMING OUT OF YOUR NEW ELEMENTARIES ARE AS BAD AS THE PERFORMANCE COMING OUT OF OLD, ANTIQUATED VAIL. IN THIS TOWN, IT APPEARS AGE OF SCHOOL HAS NO BEARING ON PERFORMANCE OUTCOME.

processor:

"I don't see where your stock portfolio analogy is appropriate for this situation. The difference is that I don't work for and am not a large owner of the company's stock that is in my portfolio. If I owned a huge percentage of a business and relied on the business's success for my financial well being, I wouldn't just dump it....I would try and fix it and bring it up to par"

I DON'T WORK FOR AND AM NOT A LARGE OWNER OF A COMPANY EITHER, BUT I STILL OWN STOCK FROM VARIOUS SOURCES, STILL WATCH THE PERFORMANCE AS BEST I CAN, AND STILL CALL MY PORTFOLIO MANAGER IF I AM DISPLEASED WITH A PARTICULAR STOCK BASED ON IT'S PERFORMANCE.

TO BE CLEAR....THE STOCK IS THE SCHOOLS. THE PERFORMANCE OF THE STOCK IS THE TREND GRAPHS AVAILABLE. THE PERFORMANCE OF THE SCHOOLS ARE THE PROFICIENCY TESTS AND INDICATORS AVAILABLE. THE PERSON MAKING A DETERMINATION WHETHER TO HOLD OR FOLD IS THE INVESTOR IN STOCKS, THE TAXPAYER IN THE SCHOOLS. I CALL MY PORTFOLIO MANAGER AND SAY SELL OR BUY TO CONTROL MY INVEsTMENTS. I VOTE YES OR NO ON YOUR LEVIES TO ATTEMPT TO CONTROL THE DECISIONS OF THE SCHOOLS AND TO SHOW MY DISPLEASURE WITH THEIR PERFORMANCE.

processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 5:11pm
Vet,
I understand that the stock is the schools. I didn't do a good job explaining why the analogy doesn't work for our schools.

Using your stock analogy, you "own" the Middletown City Schools. You can't sell it and purchase a different school system unless you sell your house and move out of the city. You are large stock holder and must rely on it. Your choice is to fix what we have, accept what we have or move.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 5:23pm
processor:

"Your choice is to fix what we have, accept what we have or move"

WELL, I AIN'T GONNA MOVE. STILL CARE ABOUT THE PLACE DESPITE WHAT THE NEWBY'S HAVE DONE TO IT. IMO, NOT BAD LIVING HERE WITH THE EXCEPTION OF HOW THE CITY IS BEING RUN AND WHO IS RUNNING IT. KINDA HAD A SORE SPOT DEVELOPING FOR SEVERAL DECADES SINCE THE 80'S LEADERSHIP TOOK IT DOWN THE TOILET.

WILL NEVER ACCEPT 6 OF 23 INDICATORS MET AFTER HOW LONG?

WILL NEVER ACCEPT THAT LEVIES ARE THE ONLY ANSWER YOU HEAR FROM THE SCHOOL BOARD AND THE FOLKS WHO SUPPORT THEM. JUST DON'T CARE FOR THEIR THINKING, DIRECTION THE DISTRICT HAS GONE (DOWNHILL) AND THE ABILITY TO TURN A ONCE HIGH PERFORMING ACADEMIC CLIMATE INTO SUCH A CLUSTER.

SOOOO, THAT LEAVES CHANGING IT. TO DO THAT, I WILL CONTRIBUTE MY LITTLE PIECE OF THE PIE BY VOTING NO ON ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING THEY WANT TO DO. I DISAGREE WITH 99 AND 44/100 % OF WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO THIS DISTRICT. I WILL ENCOURAGE ALL LIKE ANTI-LEVY, ANTI-CURRENT DIRECTION FOLKS TO RUN FOR THE SCHOOL BOARD SEATS TO OUST THE CURRENT CROP AND, HOPEFULLY, CHANGE THE ENTIRE PROGRAM WITH THE INTENT TO SEE SOME ACTUAL PROGRESS FOR A CHANGE. NEW SCHOOL FLUFF JUST DON'T CUT IT WITH ME. STILL HAS THE SAME OLD FAILED FLAVOR GOING ON INSIDE. QUALITY CONTENT OF OPERATION AND UPWARD RESULTS WOULD JUST IMPRESS THE HELL OUT OF ME AT THIS TIME.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 5:36pm
"you "own" the Middletown City Schools"

BUT I DON'T WANT YOUR MIDDLETOWN CITY SCHOOLS....NOT IN THE CONDITION THEY ARE IN ACADEMICALLY. WHO WOULD WANT A LOW PERFORMER, A TAX DRAIN, AN ENTITY CONSIDERED TO BE A BAD INVESTMENT OF TIME AND MONEY? I DON'T WANT A LEMON. WHO DOES (BESIDES THE PEOPLE WHO ARE CONTENT WITH THE WAY IT IS BEING RUN NOW)

"are large stock holder and must rely on it"

NO, I DON'T HAVE TO RELY ON IT. THIS CITY HAS SUCH A LOUSY REPUTATION NOW WITH ALL WHO INHABIT THIS AREA OF THE STATE, THAT IT NOW DOESN'T MATTER WHETHER THE SCHOOLS ARE LOUSY OR NOT. HELL, WITH THE WAY THE COUNCIL, CITY MANAGER AND HER LITTLE CREW HAVE SCREWED THE CITY UP, IT MAY BE BEYOND REPAIRING THE DAMAGE DONE. NO, I DON'T RELY ON THE SCHOOLS NOR THE CITY'S INEPTNESS TO PRESS ON. I RELY ON ME AND THE LITTLE WORLD THAT I CREATE AND CONTROL. IF I RELIED ON THE PEOPLE RUNNING THE SCHOOLS AND THE CITY, MY LITTLE WORLD WOULD BE SCREWED UP MUCH WORSE THAN IT IS NOW. NOT MY KIND OF PEOPLE. NOT MY KIND OF THINKING. THEY BOTH OFFER NOTHING OF VALUE.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic