Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Tuesday, March 19, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chris Wells versus Goliath

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chris Wells versus Goliath
    Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 3:11pm

Please read my Letter To Editor submitted to the Journal News regarding the outrage, and disgust many in Middletown feel associated with the betrayal and political correctness both the Middletown BOE and its superintendent have shown with Coach Wells.

For those that don’t know Coach Wells, he is a fine man, and a man of religious conviction. Recently, a Madison, Wisconsin based atheist group guided by Attorney Rebecca Markert, chastised Chris for his efforts to invite students to attend his church. This ‘outrageous behavior’, which one parent out of the entire district reported to the Madison atheist organization, sent a letter to Superintendent Ison, whom promptly cowered to this radical group from Wisconsin, and pulled back the reins on Chris’s politically incorrect efforts to save souls, and lead young adults down the path of redemption.

In a previous post, I indicated my support of the school levy. No more. I absolutely refuse to fund one student in a district that can wreck others by threats and harnessing ‘godless’ liberal organizations, and put one hell of a decent man under a bus, to avoid offending others.

Over the years, many of us have overlooked the flaws of the school board, and leadership, while we funded a healthy booster organization, and helped pass levies when performance did not merit it. But when a good and decent man willing to help others get on a proper path, is not supported, as teachers also have expressed the same lack of support by the administration, the endless support ends.

A few years ago, one of the best Letters To The Editor in the Middletown paper was submitted by Monsinger Paul Metzger. His principles were well thought. The community might ask what Monsinger Metzger would say about the administration’s betrayal of a good man of conviction, to protect the rights of one student, over the good Coach Wells has done for many, in the name of political correctness, and appeal to the cowered threat of an atheist group out of state.

Please phone Superintendent Ison and tell him Middies don’t like liberal atheists running the school district.

And please also phone Rebecca Markert in Madison and tell her Middies don’t like meddling from liberal aesthists. We need more Chris Wells in Middletown, and less that cower instantly to political correctness and liberal agendas.

http://ffrf.org/

And below is Monsinger Metzger’s letter a few years ago about the efficiencies of the MCSD.

I would like to give you some thoughts as to why the levies failed and may fail again. What inspired this letter was reading (that) they could not give the students paper with lines to practice writing the alphabet because (the paper is) too expensive, so they will give them plain paper.

The enclosed statements were sent to all the board members. The (board) president did call me and was clear in some of his explanations. Basically, he said they will see what other schools are doing.

This is what I requested:

1. Do not let the grade-school children walk to school, across railroad tracks, busy streets and places where there are no sidewalks, but bus them. High school students have cars or let them walk a reasonable distance.

2. Since the school is the lowest academically in the county and you want to shorten the class day by two hours, you should be thinking of adding more time than the old schedule. Those who plan the bus route have found, by letting all schools dismiss at 1:30 p.m., they are saving a sum of money. So what is the difference if it is 1:30 p.m. or 3:30 p.m.?

3. Everything has been taken away from the children. You say you cannot buy paper, text books or school supplies because the levy failed. I will show you the reason for Middletown's school problems.

I think the board members are intelligent people and generally do a good job, but they have gone wild on positions in the school. There is a position called "superintendent" a very important position. Many people cannot understand the salary of $121,000, which is reasonable. But add the retirement (14 percent) of $16,940, and health, $6,000, for a total of $143,940.

This would be a normal amount if he did all the work of a superintendent. However, he has an assistant superintendent whose salary is $115,781 plus retirement (14 percent) of $16,209, plus $6,000 in health insurance, for a total of $137,990. Therefore, the position of superintendent is costing the board $281,930.

I am not counting the assistant's secretary's salary. Schools twice as large as ours do not have assistant superintendents. Don't change the name to keep her. Her contract should be canceled immediately.

You have three "directors." What are they doing for $380,250? Dismiss two and save $253,500. Cancel contracts immediately.

You have 10 "principals" for the buildings and this is OK. But you have 10 "assistant principals." Never heard of such a thing. High and middle schools may need an assistant, but surely not grade school.

The assistants are costing ... a total of $946,365. Dismiss seven and save $641,388.

Finally, we have eight psychologists (according to the newspaper, they had nine at one time), which is greater than Lakota (a highly rated school) that has only two. Our psychologists are costing $688,266. Keep three and save $429,118.

All salaries are taken from the March 18, 2007, Middletown Journal. Board members, if these are wrong, please let me know what is wrong and I will certainly try to listen to your explanations. However, if I am right, then you have a problem to explain.

I will tell you that I do know a little about schools and businesses. I have served on public school boards for about 20 years, Catholic school boards, and, as a priest, served as superintendent of a public school district for some years. I served on boards for our four military academies for interview and qualification of applicants for 15 years. As far as business, I was bank director for two banks, retired to come to Middletown; board of director of Blue Cross/Blue Shield for 14 years; then on community insurance

Cooper View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 4:01pm
Photo
FmrMide81 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FmrMide81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 4:30pm
Sheesh-just go back to the good ol' days when Jack Gordon questioned not only your desire and ability but your ancestry down to the DNA level...
Sorry, but if he wants to evangelize-go coach at Middletown Christian or Fenwick.
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 4:53pm
About a month ago, I was talking to a family who were going through a divorce, after twenty years of marriage. Their son had leaned heavily in Chris to help him cope through a rough period. The mother of this young man was entering his junior year and was given a copy of the movie Seven Days In Utopia, with Robert Duval and a pretty darn solid supporting cast, about a pro golfer that has a Dad that pushes him pretty hard after playing at the University of Texas. Yes, there is a real Utopia. 

The mother wept when she said what an impact Chris, and the movie had upon him. If you want to understand parallels between the game of golf, and what's really important in life when writing your legacy at the end, watch this movie. It will change your life. The man that wrote the book is a top sports psychologist, and has clients including Stewart Cink, Adam Scott, and others.

Personal guarantee if you watch the movie, or read the book, you'll never consider Chris Wells might be better served, to leave Middletown High Sschool as a coach and mentor, for St. X, Moeller, or any school, where religious convictions aren't clamped down.  

FmrMide81 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FmrMide81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 8:46pm
Yeah, yeah-that's all well and good if that's what you choose to believe. I've seen w-a-a-a-y-y-y too much human misery inflicted in the  name of god and his offspring. That's why there are separate institutions to accomodate the faithful and us humble folk who want our kids to make their own choices-not have them coerced in order to fit in to the coaches plan.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2014 at 10:59pm
I know very little about Mr. Wells but the most common phrase people state is- "a class-act."  
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2014 at 12:00am

Well, I’m fairly stupid, but I can read.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;”

That’s all that the Constitution has to say on the matter!!!  Nothing about any “separation of church and state”; no “freedom from religion” verbiage.

It means exactly what it says!!!

Congress shall make no law establishing a religion.  Congress shall make no law prohibiting the free exercise of religion.

Period!!!

Did Mr. Wells’ actions constitute “the establishment of religion”???  I’d say not!  Do the actions of the Wisconsin-based Freedom from Religion Foundation seem to be trying to prohibit Mr. Wells from the “free exercise” of his religion???  I’d say YES!!!

So who really has the basis for a law suit here???

How did we come so far from our founding fathers’ words???

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2014 at 7:44am
And.....isn't it insulting, and should it not anger those in the local community, Mr. Ison is more concerned about one parent who called the Wisconsin group based upon religious hostility and alleged infringement, which he expressed concern, and told Mr. Wells to put a muzzle on his actions, while he stood by, knowing the school district and its supporters put up signs, clearly in violation of the city ordinance, and said and did nothing?

It is that hypocrisy that should boil the blood. When political correctness steps in front of truly breaking the law as written, and local individuals takes a back seat to a far left Wisconsin radical lawyer, that is disgusting on principle. The signs never bothered me; disregard of the law and ignoring fair play of those that disagreed with the levy by doing it early, did.    

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2014 at 5:01pm
I know Chris personally - he is a stand up man, great role model and an asset to the Middletown School District. There are numerous stories where he has helped his players.  Middletown needs more teachers/coaches like him - then you would see an increase in students and scores. 

I must say I am not surprised the district would come down on Chris for this - as they shot him down several times for this coaching position.  I guess they were looking for something better than a Midd High graduate.  Personally they should be proud. 

Former - you state he should go to a another school with religious values.  Why should 1 man with a family to support change his beliefs for one student and parent.  I know of numerous parents that have moved their child to another school district just to play sports - for many reason, better program, thought their child was not playing enough.  Why doesn't this one kid just move?  Not to mention - why would a parent go for publicity - could they not have just went to Chris and talked to him.  It is getting to the point that you cant walk out your front door without offending someone - isn't time we all grow up!!  There is going to be many items this kid will run across in his life something he doesn't agree with - better he learn at a young  age how to debate - he and his parent should have went to Chris,  Wont be surprised if you see him on the news soon.
FmrMide81 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FmrMide81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2014 at 6:18pm
I never said he should change his beliefs-he is more than welcome to them. But attempting to use his position as an authority figure to youth to convert others to his beliefs-not cool. Actionable in court and shouldn't be tolerated by the parents or community. I honestly couldn't care less how great a guy he is-he's wrong in this case and the Supt. was quite correct to tell him to tone it down-not change his beliefs-just keep them to himself when acting as an employee of a public school system. 
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2014 at 9:27am
just win a few football games, ok?
we could use divine intervention in the program
guy has yet top coach a game, and we might have much deeper worries.......
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2014 at 12:48pm

The Marshall football team crashed and killed its players and fans in West Virginia in 1970 after playing Eastern Carolina University. 

Call me stupid---- I don't think as they were going down, they were wondering about a missed tight end block on the slant right 44.

Its seems M.r Wells gives his students more than X's and O's. For 55% of students that are in poverty in Middletown, and many without a father or mother figure, broken homes, the type of man that may influence one that sees only despair.

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 3:56pm
Wonder if Superintendent Ison and the spineless school board would have banned the prayers if Mr. Wells were a muslim?
Cooper View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 9:36am
Apparently it was too embarrassing for the MCSD and Superintendent Ison to use Chris Wells letter as an endorsement while muzzling his religious position.

votemiddies.com has been shut down for 3 days. Or maybe they feared the Ohio Elections Commission would have too much evidence for their false advertising and misrepresentations.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic