Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Tuesday, March 19, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New City Manager's Contract

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New City Manager's Contract
    Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 8:43am

Posted: 7:00 a.m. Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Council expected to OK city manager contract tonight

By Rick McCrabb

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN 

It will be more than another month before Doug Adkins officially becomes the city manager.

City Council is expected to approve his contract at tonight’s meeting, and the contract will officially begin July 22, 2014, the day after former City Manager Judy Gilleland’s contract expires because of her accumulated sick and vacation leave.

When Gilleland, who served as city manager for six years, retired on June 6, Adkins was named acting city manager, though no contract was signed. Adkins, formerly the director of community revitalization, was chosen by council May 17 after it held interviews with five candidates.

City Council members discussed Adkins’ contract in executive session following their two meetings May 20 and June 3, said Dora Bronston, a first-year member. Bronston said she was surprised it took weeks to get a contract signed because in the private sector, it would have occurred faster. But, she said, council had to wait until there were meetings to discuss the contract.

Bronston said she received “many” phone calls from Middletown residents asking why a contract hadn’t been signed.

Council member Anita Scott Jones said she had “not a real issue” with the time it took a contract to be signed.

Mayor Lawrence Mulligan Jr. said when Gilleland was hired, the process took about a month, similar to Adkins’ timetable.

If council approves the contract, Adkins will be paid $115,000 a year — $12,000 less than Gilleland made — beginning on July 22. Adkins will be eligible for merit raises every year at the discretion of city council based on completion of performance objectives established by council, according to the contract.

Mulligan said the contract is “a fair wage” considering Adkins’ experience and background. This will be Adkins’ first city manager job.

Adkins began his service with Middletown in 2005 as assistant prosecutor. In 2006, he was promoted to prosecutor, then three years later, was named director of community revitalization, overseeing community development, building inspection, code enforcement, planning, zoning, bus transit system, the Robert “Sonny” Hill Jr.     Community Center and  Weatherwax Golf Course.

Adkins will also receive a $450-a-month car allowance and $12,000 annually for travel expenses. Adkins and his wife, Becky, who live in Mason, are looking for a Middletown home, he has said. He must live in the city to serve as manager, according to the city charter. He is required to reside here on or before Dec.1, 2014, according to the contract.

Mulligan said he’s looking forward to working with Adkins, and believes he’ll get “up to speed quickly.”

Adkins was unable for comment.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 9:21am
I'm still waiting to hear about what his future plans are for Middletown.
Why was this article the same as the last and not about what Mr. Adkins presented to City Council in the
120 page booklet about how he was going to change Middletown over the next 3 years?
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 10:14am
What does it take to copy of his 120 page manifesto?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 10:23am
I requested a copy of the 120 page booklet from Mr. Adkin's office after his interview but have never received a copy of this document
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 12:58pm
He certainly shouldn't have a problem finding a house in Middletown. just 1chmoore.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 3:10pm
First he has to list his house. If he was so sure of himself, why hasn't he listed his house? I've checked Zillow, Remax and a couple other reality blogs. They say it's not listed. Hmmmm
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 3:41pm
Plenty of apartments in town where he can claim residency.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 4:52pm
I simply give up on Middletown and its residents.
Doug Adkins made about $59,000 a year when he was prosecutor. Then, with the help of co-funding from the feds, he received a nearly 40% increase in salary for his "Community Revitalization: effort. During that tenure, I would certainly think most would agree, his efforts were hardly worthy of revitalization impact.
On his watch, it appears from what has been discussed and pusblished, Middletown will lose the HUD program and in all probability, no mitigation no reduction, in HUD VOUCHERS.
For that lackluster effort, and one assume, losing his job associated with the fed's contribution to his salary, and administration appears to be headed to Hamilton, he receives a 15% salary increase, in effect, doubling hias salary from just 5-6 years ago. And, with no accomplishments. To add to that scenario, he negotiates which is staggering, a $10,000 salary increase before he even takes a job he never held,, before he began his new task, and while one woud assume, as to his reference to 're-imaging' the workforce in Middletown, of negotiating a reduction in salary and benefits, all the while he receives a gauaranteed 8.7% increqase, in a job he never was even an assistant city manager, nor held any administrative position other than the legal department. If one were in the union, an employee of fire or police....would you be mpre apt to negotiate, or hold firm, and say, " hey pal, you just got a nearly 9% increase, and you expect us to take a cut?"
I don't comprerhend the calculus the city of Middletown makes in its decisions, but one has to wonder how a man that would unlikely secure a city manager job presently in any city in the country, without at least being an assistant city manager, gets the manager position, gets a nearly 9% raise bfore he even begins year 2, added another $5400. chump change cash out per year, for auto travel, and it would not be surprising if the city bought Bill Akers Sr's house, and sold it to Doug Adkins on .5 on the $.
There is not another city in America where this would happen, but in Middletown, its always "up is down, north is south, and cold is hot."
Its not worth the bother to even applying rationale thought to these decisions anymore. I mean, streets crumble, no one cares, and a school is built for $156 Mm while driving on pebbles. As Hillary Clinton remarked: "it takes a village." One accepts the fact in Middletown, the village appears to be comprised of idiots. But there is good news. With Doug Adkins in place, the city council can continue to shore up and "moat" Main Street. That's priority one, the firewall. There will never be revitalization downtown.
But who cares. When everyone is watching the fox run wild in the henhouse nightly, outrage and oversight no longer exist. It hasn't in Middletown for 20 years or longer, and it isn't going to change.  Farewell to Arms. The battle and war aren't worth fighting anymore. 
MMF, dreams of downtown shaking, luxury apartments overlooking downtown....The Brave New World. All are being given soma. Or, could it be the Stockholm Syndrome?  .
And soon, another 100,000 people from around the world will be in Middletown enjoying the ballon festival. Too many are already flying high on something that is elevating the dilusional state of mind.     
The only turn around on revenue Doug Adkins will produce is a tax increase. Get in line for the fleece. For the majority, they seem to enjoy it.

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 6:02pm
Acclaro,
           Your conclusions are totally justified. Additionally, I'm extremely disappointed that no one on this blog or in the city has pointed out the intentional sham perpertrated by city council regarding the selection of a new city manager. I was appointed to be on the city manager selection committe which was a farce. All the commite was asked to do was fill out a four question survey with rigged questions designed to accomplish nothing but allow council to say they had a selection committee that did nothing else but answer the four ambiguous questions.That wasanother farce. Then, they did not invite the Commitee to be on a panel to question the candidates. Another farce. Then, they paid someone $12,000 to supply a list of candidates from around the country and the best list that could be supplied council rejected all but five.  Another farce. Two of them were already city employees who helped get the city in the mess that we are in. Les Landen and Doug Adkins. Neither of whom as you so well point out are qualified to be a city manager and demonstrated that at the interviews. Adkins was given the upper hand because he was told to provide beforehand a plan to turn the city around. No one else was told to do so. I submitted some suggestions and I was told that my ideas weren't complete enough. How stupid since I was not attempting to submit a plan but only identifying some things that the next city manager could and should do. Another farce. Then, I was told that Adkins would be picked because he was going to submit a detailed plan days before the interviews. It was a sham all the way  through, Everything about the interviews was a sham and no citizens said anything about the process. Shame on all of us. We deserve what we have gotten and its the same ol', same ol'. Watch our taxes go up and the special interest projects continue until the city goes into bankruptcy. You cannot spend your way into prosperity and you can't have people presented to the public that have no integrity like our WHOLE council and Doug Adkins and expect the city to move forward in a sensible business way that will bring jobs, people and prosperity to all instead of just a greedy, deceitful few. I'm ashamed of my fellow citizens for their apathy and not standing up for themselves and the thousands of others in the city whose property values continue to decline and are taxed, taxed , taxed with and without taxes being named as such. Council continues to hurt many thousands of people including those they can buy to get their votes and levies through. Council will answer for it in judgement. They cannot escape it. I'm ashamed of otherwise good people who get into politics and lose all of their values, morals and principles and we don't have any exceptions on council right now. Ken Cohen that includes you.
        I hereby shake the dust off of my feet and go on with life to better pastures. Let the dead bury the dead.
              pn
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 7:32pm

Acclaro and Mr. Nagy,

City Council announced tonight that next month they will be planning a retreat to decide what direction and what items they will be concentrating on over the next 6 months. Don’t we already know what this plan will be?
1. More money invested in “THEIR DOWNTOWN”.
2. More demo of housing in the 2nd Ward.

I do not believe that this City Council and Mr. Adkins will make the difficult cuts nor change the direction of the path that they are now on to save our city.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 10:38pm
If anyone thinks that I haven't done enough...I sincerely apologize.

But...I've been beaten my head against these City Hall walls for about fourteen years.  The walls are undamaged, my head hurts like the dickens.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 3:01am
Mike,
   The exceptions prove the rule. You and the others who have worked so hard, for so long, and posted on this forum certainly are the few exceptions. Out of some 40 - 48 thousand people in the city, or perhaps more importantly, out of all the taxpayers who live in the city,  very few have stood up to the inequities from city council though the years. I don't know how you could have done more. You have voted, written volumes, gone to court ,attended meetings, gotten involved with the political process, run for office and continue to represent citizens in a number of ways. You are the exact opposite of apathy. I wish other taxpayers would get involved just half as much as you and others on this forum have. My hat is off to you.
        pn
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 11:09am

Updated: 9:48 p.m. Tuesday, June 17, 2014 | Posted: 9:37 p.m. Tuesday, June 17, 2014

New Middletown city manager named tonight

By Breaking News Staff and Rick McCrabb

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN Doug Adkins, a former vice mayor in Vandalia, was named Middletown's city manager.

He replaces Judy Gilleland, who retired earlier this month after six years. Gilleland once worked in Dayton, Centerville and Tipp City.

Adkins will be paid $115,000 a year.

Middletown City Council voted to spend more than $4.3 million for capital repairs and upgrades at the water treatment plant and the waste water treatment plant. The city is expected to recoup more than the cost of those upgrades, officials said.

The city hopes to save $5.6 million for the entire savings term, according to documents from the Perfection Group, the Cincinnati company hired for the project.

Of the $4.3 million, $916,000 will come from the sewer capital reserve fund, and the remaining $3.4 million will come from the water capital reserve fund, according to Scott Tadych, public works and utilities director.

wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:44am
What has he accomplished since 2005? So what should we expect. The whole thing was a farce and nothing will change. The group remains intact and the city continues in the downward spiral. So sad!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2014 at 10:35am
new is in--hopefully many old will be out
new guy promises change, so I will stick with him unless shown otherwise
took quite a while to systematically get into this quagmire--we won't get out quickly

can we have a little hope?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2014 at 9:12pm
Yes, we have a little hope.  We can hope that Adkins chooses a house away from the rest of the existing power brokers...then we can have hope that at least that one more Middletown street will be paved in the near future!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2014 at 11:35pm
Hope and Change? We need decent paying jobs, the only thing that can save this town.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2014 at 2:52pm
Noticed today, reading the Nov 4th workbook on the city site, that Adkins was suppose to establish residency by December 1st. It has now been extended until May 2015 by council legislation. Perhaps Douggie is a tad bit reluctant to move from a more affluent area like Mason to the low income city he helped create.

The workbook also contains the city building salary breakouts based on level of position if interested.

Looks like we have some more hirings for replacement from Noah Powers III, HR Manager, and one part time school bus driver termination for theft.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2014 at 6:33pm
IMO may is a big LOL there is no way he's moving anywhere near middletown!! the tail is wagging the dog on that contract!! and if he does its really going to cost ya!! good chance the city will buy his house, then try to sell it and take a big loss!! then you have all the sweet smacks$$$$ of moving expenses! you always have more for council to add up!  they just don't wanna tell yet!!Shocked
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2014 at 11:17pm
Why is he allowed to circumvent the rules that have been in place? There are plenty of houses available to choice from that have the same criteria as his present house and for less money. Let him bring himself up here and establish residency in Middlletown in a hotel or rent something until his house sells that's what was expected of past city managers. Why is he privileged? This more of his arrogance showing through. Does the tiger really change his stripes? IMO. WAKE UP COUNCIL !!!!! You're being played!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic