FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fireworks by Barnitz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fireworks by Barnitz
    Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 11:18am
Journal story...

MIDDLETOWN

Charges pending in fireworks show

MIDDLETOWN —
Charges are pending against organizers of a Fourth of July celebration in the city’s south end that included an “unsanctioned” fireworks show, Middletown police said Monday.

Police Chief David VanArsdale told the Journal-News that no citations had been issued Monday, “but charges are pending.” The Fourth of July celebration, which was held at a park on South Main Street near Barnitz Stadium, had attracted hundreds of spectators for the pyrotechnics display before police shut it down because organizers did not have a proper permit from the city.

Many residents and those who attended the holiday celebration were still angry and confused four days after the incident over the way law enforcement handled what they called “a positive community event.” Organizers said they have held the event, which includes free food, entertainment, kids activities and fireworks, for the past five or six years without incident or police intervention.

Some accused police and fire officials of “setting up” organizers, as police and fire personnel were present at the celebration throughout the day (a Middletown fire engine even took part in some of the festivities), but never hinted that they were going to shutdown the fireworks show. Others said the “show of force” by police when they arrived on the scene to stop the fireworks was “uncalled for.”

According to witness reports and police, there were at least a dozen or more police cruisers that arrived at the event scene, including six from the Ohio State Highway Patrol and two from the Butler County Sheriff’s Office. The Journal-News could not verify exactly how many Middletown police cruisers were present.

“All of a sudden, a parade of police cars came rushing through the grass at a high rate of speed,” Joya Day-Caldwell, who attended the July 4 event with her children, wrote in an email to this newspaper. “The police immediately began to open the trunks of their cars to put black gloves on. We were scared to death that they were going to begin shooting.

“I was panicked, trying to find my children to get them in the car,” she said. “The action of the Middletown Police Department was not only uncalled for, but unjustifiable and unsafe as well.”

Christopher Caldwell, who also attended the event, added: “I’ve lived in Middletown all my life and I could truly say this is the first time I’m literally ashamed (of the city).”

VanArsdale did not speak directly to the complaints about how his officers responded to the scene, but did say that to allow the fireworks show to go on “would have been an indefensible situation.”

“There is no way we could legally let them (fireworks) happen,” the chief said, reiterating there was no permit. “If we did, it would be a record settlement against the city” if someone was injured.

“I’d rather they be saying, ‘I’m no fun,’” VanArsdale said.

Major Rodney Muterspaw said some community policing was being done at the event during the day, but those officers were not the ones who initiated the 9:17 p.m. call for service that led to the fireworks display being shut down.

Pernell Huff, one of the organizers of the event, said he “understands that was wrong” to not have a permit for the fireworks show. But at the same time, Huff said police could have handled the situation another way.

“If the police are supposed to be a part of the community, we have to get along better than that,” Huff said.

Some have questioned whether this incident will further strain already tenuous relations between police and some African Americans in the city.

Huff said supporters of the event plan to show up at City Council’s next meeting on July 15 and express their views on the situation.

VanArsdale said he planned to meet Monday afternoon with Middletown NAACP President Dora Bronston to discuss how to move forward.

Councilwoman Anita Scott Jones had intended to attend the fireworks, but said there were several police cars there when she arrived. She and her family didn’t try to stay.

“She said she saw a number of officers outside, and officers struggling with someone … so we backed up and left,” said Scott Jones.

She has no thoughts on the incident at this time, saying she “would like to get the details.”

“I think it all warrants looking into,” she said.

Middletown fire Lt. Jon Harvey was on duty Friday night and responded to the park on Engine 81 at about 9:25 p.m. on a report of a very large crowd setting off fireworks. It was the second time the fire department was at the South Main Street park that day.

“We had been there from three to five as kind of public service, letting kids see the fire truck,” said Harvey. When they arrived a second time, Harvey estimated there were well over 1,000 people who had gathered for the fireworks show. Organizers insist there were not that many and the police report indicate between 250 to 300 people were waiting for the fireworks.

“I saw a lot of (fireworks) in the back of pickup trucks,” Harvey said. He added earlier in the day some had been ignited “but no different than what was going on all over the city.”

Of the 237 police calls for service on July 4, more than 100 came after 6 p.m. Of those 100 calls, 11 were for fireworks or some kind of loud noise.

After VanArsdale said no fireworks will be permitted to be set off, and ordered the park vacated, Harvey said he then saw some people go across the street and set off fireworks.

Middletown Fire Marshal Bob Hess said shooting fireworks off not only in Middletown, but in the entire state, is illegal. He does issue permits for professional shows, but only to state-certified pyrotechnic experts.

“Permits are not issued to event organizers but to those who are certified,” Hess said. He added he has an inventory of every shell to be shot and is at the scene during set up and at the show.

There were no permits issued over the three-day July 4 holiday according to city and fire officials. A permit is pending for this weekend’s Ohio Balloon Challenge. Last year, there was also a permit issued for a Labor Day event a Hook Field.

Hess said despite the dangers of fireworks, the fire department does not have the manpower to try to catch amateurs in the act.

1. Dora Bronston, as NAACP President and Council rep has a conflict of interest doesn't she? The city position is not to sanction the fireworks while the folks in this area saw no harm.

2. No committal from Scott-Jones in the story. She needs "more detail". What else is new as she, at times, has a hard time deciding what side of the fence she wishes to be on.

3. Got news for you VanArsdale. There were fireworks going off all over the east end on the night in question. Just a block west of my neighborhood, there was a two hour fireworks show with a large crowd judging by the applause after each fireworks segment. Watched it from my deck. Ya can't just pick on these people if your department let the others, depending on the area of the city discussed, set off unlimited fireworks with no stoppage. It is discriminatory IMO.

Ironic, the crackdown , given the newly appointed city manager, when these folks weren't bothered before. Just sayin'.

Wonder if this would have been stopped if held in the downtown area with the stores open for business?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 12:49pm
Those racist bastages should have cleared it with the naacp first. Seems like we need two sets of laws these days depending on race, religion, sexual orientation or what political party you donate to.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 2:03pm
If our new city manager had any connection with this over the top response then he certainly has started his reign on the wrong foot.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 2:59pm
The abuse of fire display individuals needed to be cracked down. And, the football field area was not the only area targeted.

While walking down Rosedale July 4, there was a cruiser on Rosedale, and two cruisers in the parking lot of the Senior Citizens parking lot, about 830 pm. During the day, multiple individuals were digging holes 4 ft deep, with pipes planted for commercial grade, dangerous fireworks. These should have only been used by licensed professionals. Cars were driven all over the grass, and within 20 yards where these fire works would have been lit at dark.

The police properly dispersed the crowd and the Sr. Citizens group should be ashamed for allowing this group access to the property for maybe a 100.00 fee, which would have disrupted the neighboring areas with loud noise and potentially a serious injury. If there is any criticism, it should have been stopped some time ago.

For those doing, it seems logical to step up and fund the annual display so everyone can benefit safety.

It is wrong to say Ward 2 was targeted, the Sr. Citizens Ctr is located in Ward 3. Careless individuals should not be lighting dangerous fireworks, period.          
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 3:37pm
It seems in our cost cutting endeavors everything has been cut to the bare bones. We've lost all of our swimming pools,our All-American Weekend is a thing of the past, half of our parks have vanished,our city can't even afford fireworks on the Fourth of July. If we want to participate in any of these activities we have to go out of town to do it. Such a shame!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 3:58pm
"While walking down Rosedale July 4, there was a cruiser on Rosedale, and two cruisers in the parking lot of the Senior Citizens parking lot, about 830 pm. During the day, multiple individuals were digging holes 4 ft deep, with pipes planted for commercial grade, dangerous fireworks. These should have only been used by licensed professionals. Cars were driven all over the grass, and within 20 yards where these fire works would have been lit at dark"

DUNNO ACCLARO. ALL I KNOW IS THAT FOR TWO HOURS, THERE WAS A LARGE AMOUNT OF FIREWORKS GOING IN THE AIR AROUND THE MARSHALL/ROSEDALE INTERSECTION OR JUST WEST OF THAT LOCATION, CLOSE ENOUGH FOR ME TO HEAR THE CROWD APPLAUSE AFTER EACH VOLLEY. I SAW NO POLICE AROUND THE INTERSECTION OF RACHEL AND ROSEDALE AT THAT TIME. PERHAPS FURTHER WEST ON ROSEDALE AROUND OR WEST OF MARSHALL. CAN'T SEE PAST THAT INTERSECTION FROM MY VANTAGE POINT.

DID THE POLICE THINK THE SENIORS WERE GOING TO USE M-80's AND CHERRY BOMBS? OR DID THE CITY THINK THE SENIORS WERE TOO ROWDY WITH THEIR SPARKLERS?

MAYBE, TO PUT AN END TO ALL OF THIS NONSENSE, THE CITY SHOULD PONY UP SOME OF THAT DAM DOWNTOWN MONEY AND ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING NICE FOR THE PEOPLE WITH A FIREWORKS SHOW LIKE A NORMAL CITY WOULD DO. JMO.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:58am
It's not what they did at Barnitz it's how they did it. They could have sent one cruiser in to talk with the organizer to tell him that they would shut it down if they proceeded with it. Then if he decided to go ahead, then bring in more cruisers.

The cops acted like a bunch of bored cowboys who wanted to throw their weight around. Gross overreaction.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 2:14pm
I don't disagree with you processor, but I don't think one cruiser would have been sufficient. They would have thought it was one bad apple trying to hassle them, than an all out effort to cut these illegal fire works back.

An appropriate alternative would have been to have written an article in the paper, stated in past years, it was not addressed, but this year, the city would not tolerate it. They had a hit list from past activities and that is what was targeted. Agreed, the heavy hand was needless, but these voters passed the school levy and think they are the cityy friend, while being used repeatedly.

Hard to explain how ASJ thought these fireworks were legal. Most know they are not.      
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 4:31pm
Send one cruiser? Umm ok
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 8:33pm
my sources tell me it was not as innocent as you all are making it out to be. My sources state that children were throwing firecrackers at each other and passing cars. They also state that there were bottle rockets/ roman candles being shot at each other. I don't think it had anything to do with race. Trash is trash. Be it white, yellow, black,green, or  purple. It is a class issue. You are correct Vet, there was a display in your end of town that night. It was at the old Rosedale school. The difference in the two gatherings was our children were sitting on blankets and had no ignition sources or pyrotechnics of any kind in their hands.  Also no one was arrested. There were hundreds of people there Vet, from all races and classes. The difference is the children were monitored and a safe distance was maintained bud. Let me ask you something else bud. If one policeman showed up at the gathering at the old Rosedale school  do you think he/she could have dispersed the crowd and shut down the event? YOU'RE DARN RIGHT BUD. Why did it take the combined services of the MPD, butler cty pd, and the state troopers to shut down the gathering at Barnitz? I applaude Ms. Scott Jones in reserving judgement until she finds out all of the details. 
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:20pm
The crowd at the senior citizens group were directed by the police to go to the old Roosevelt school to illegally light their fireworks by the police. After the three cruisers left, the ring master told the group they could go to Roosevelt and light what they brought to the Sr Citizens Ctr.

ASJ doesn't get a pass or compliment. Reserve judgment for what? The fireworks are illegal in Ohio and exposed the city of Middletown to enormous legal exposure. The crowd at the senior citizens center that was dispersed to Roosevelt was within 15 yards of very dangerous fireworks put in the group 5 ft deep, with metal piping.

Its illegal to light commercial grade fireworks. There is no excuse. Chip in, have the city oversee it, or watch Patton, Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan, Doc Hollywood,  and call it a night July 4.     
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 12:09am
ASJ reminds me of entertainment personality Professor Irwin Corey. How many times he was a guest of the Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson. And, don't ever trust her with confidential information.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 6:24am
Originally posted by middiemom middiemom wrote:

my sources tell me it was not as innocent as you all are making it out to be. My sources state that children were throwing firecrackers at each other and passing cars. They also state that there were bottle rockets/ roman candles being shot at each other. I don't think it had anything to do with race. Trash is trash. Be it white, yellow, black,green, or  purple. It is a class issue. You are correct Vet, there was a display in your end of town that night. It was at the old Rosedale school. The difference in the two gatherings was our children were sitting on blankets and had no ignition sources or pyrotechnics of any kind in their hands.  Also no one was arrested. There were hundreds of people there Vet, from all races and classes. The difference is the children were monitored and a safe distance was maintained bud. Let me ask you something else bud. If one policeman showed up at the gathering at the old Rosedale school  do you think he/she could have dispersed the crowd and shut down the event? YOU'RE DARN RIGHT BUD. Why did it take the combined services of the MPD, butler cty pd, and the state troopers to shut down the gathering at Barnitz? I applaude Ms. Scott Jones in reserving judgement until she finds out all of the details. 

Mercy! I like the attitude with all the "BUD" comments. You sound as mad as I am most of the time. Are you still a little puckered because I said mean nasty things prior to your little levy passing? You won and got what you wanted for your schools. Let it go. I have.....until the next attempt at wasting more money on the schools with no improvement in sight.

No, middiemom, from a legal aspect, there is no difference, despite your claim, that the Rosedale crowd behaved more appropriately. Legally, neither should have been allowed to happen, be it Barnitz Park or over at Rosedale. As acclaro pointed out, both groups broke the law by setting off fireworks. One was ignored and allowed to happen and the other was gestapo handled. Did a preferred area of town have anything to do with it? Dunno.

If you had a large crowd at Rosedale, and the police ignored your display, just wonder why they made such a big spectacle out of the Barnitz crowd.....other than kids throwing fireworks at cars.....according to your source, which may or may not be factual. Seems to me they would have shut both of them down.

Oh, and mom, just for the record, I was not the one who mentioned officers on scene. Read the posts again for accuracy as to who posted that information.

IMO, ASJ wanted "more information" before making a decision because it is a mechanism used by her at times to either delay a comment or allow her response to die on the vine. If you wait long enough, it will go away and a comment is no longer needed. Clever way of avoiding taking sides. It also labels you as a fence-rider and that's not a good thing in office.

Later mom.

Bud.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 10:44am
ASJ has become very good at "fence riding" in the last year. She used to present herself as an advocate for the people but now she seems to have been swallowed up by the rest of council. Her constant "love fest" with the new city manger is also growing thin IMO. You are right VV it's her way of not having to answer questions. Worked for Judy, Les and Dougie in the past.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 12:33pm
lol a-mazing
family was gone for the holiday, so I took a trip to first friday-dinner @ Murphy's and home early for the evening.
I live close to the Amen Corner of N Breiel and Riverview, where as the night progressed, I felt like I was living on the current Israeli/Palestinean border. They were launching from next door, across the street and from every direction. One of the churches on the corner was having their holiday version of Woodstock III(Christian rock I assume), where 3 blocks away I could hear every chord and word. That was followed by a serious aerial launch that was both loud and high with an impressive explosive finale followed by a long round of applause. Evidently similar was going on to the southeast somewhere on Marshall/Rosedale.

nbd I thought--4th of July--pretty much what I would expect especially since nothing organized was going on in a city of our size

then I read about the show of force and shutdown @ Barnitz park, where police/fire were present and aware for the entire day. I also read that no permits for any of this activity were requested or granted. So--only one site gets busted, and busted emphatically. Hmmmmm......Why? sos--while the world has moved on to be rainbow, imo Middietown still wants to live a historic 50s/60s mentality. Things will change, we are told again(and again)--but when? Granted I was told that behavior @ Barnitz was somewhat carried away and over the top as the day progressed, so obviously a call by public safety had to be made.

I was impressed by the comments from Mr.A regarding this situation, the lack of city-organized holiday events and his overall "quality of life" statements. Hope that he follows through.

jmo--flame me
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 12:53pm
Spider - "I was impressed by the comments from Mr.A regarding this situation, the lack of city-organized holiday events and his overall "quality of life" statements. Hope that he follows through.' LOL

But, but, but, Spider....why is it always up to everyone else to pay for what should have been a Community Event?
City Hall ALWAYS finds money when they want something for THEIR DOWNTOWN.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2014 at 11:01pm
Didn't Dougie mention something about if someone was hurt during these fireworks can you imagine the law suit to the city. Well he didn't mind getting in other law suits of his own making does he. I guess he can pick and choose which law suits he'll persure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic