Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Saturday, April 20, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Microbrewery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Microbrewery
    Posted: Sep 30 2014 at 11:57am
Journal story....

Microbrew planned for downtown Middletow

Snider Building LLC has taken possession of the historic Dan E. Snider Ford Dealership Building, also known as the former Sonshine building next to the Manchester Inn, and is working to give Middletown its first microbrewery/brewpub.

“This project will stand on its own, but it’s also a natural complement to the redeveloped Manchester Hotel,” said William Grau, a managing member of both the Snider and Manchester development groups. “The layout is perfectly suited for a microbrewery and it’s a great revamp of an historic structure.”

Plans for the Snider Building include restoring it to its original look. It’s expected the project will be complete by the fall of 2016. The majority of the three-story, 32,376-square-foot building will be utilized for manufacturing beer and include a packaging and canning line. “This project will stand on its own, but it’s also a natural complement to the redeveloped Manchester Hotel,” said William Grau, a managing member of both the Snider and Manchester development groups.

Approximately 3,000 square feet of the building’s former auto showroom will be used as a taproom/brewpub and is expected to employ 28 full- and part-time workers

THE GOOD NEWS:

IT WILL BE NICE TO SEE ANOTHER ATTEMPT TO FILL THE EMPTY BUILDINGS DOWNTOWN.

THE OTHER SIDE:

“This project will stand on its own, but it’s also a natural complement to the redeveloped Manchester Hotel,” said William Grau, a managing member of both the Snider and Manchester development groups

BUT THE MANCHESTER HAS NOT BEEN REDEVELOPED AND ONE CAN'T BE SURE IT WILL UNTIL WE ALL SEE THE END RESULT. I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY MR. GRAU IS TALKING AS IF THE MANCHESTER HAS ALREADY BEEN DEVELOPED. A LONG WAY FROM IT ACTUALLY. FURTHERMORE, IF THE MANCHESTER WERE TO BE FULLY RE-DEVELOPED, DOESN'T GUARANTEE SUCCESS TO THIS MICROBREWERY. MAY...MAY NOT HELP.

NOW, HERE'S AN EXAMPLE OF AN ANNOUNCEMENT AS TO DOWNTOWN DEVELOPMENT....

"The developers plan to partner with a brewer to produce and self-distribute the beers both locally and regionally"

A TREND HERE. ANY NEW DOWNTOWN DEVELOPMENT IDEA IS ANNOUNCED IN SPECULATION FASHION WITH NO REAL CONCRETE WORK HAVING BEEN DONE. IN THIS CASE, THIS ANNOUNCEMENT WAS MADE BUT THE ARTICLE ALSO INCLUDING THE FACT THAT THE INITIATORS OF THIS IDEA HAVE NOT YET ALIGNED THEMSELVES WITH A MICROBREWER TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN. WOULDN'T IT SEND A MORE RE-ASSURING MESSAGE IF THE ACTUAL OCCUPYING BUSINESS WAS ACTUALLY IN PLACE?

IT JUST SEEMS LIKE THE TYPICAL NEW DOWNTOWN BUSINESS IS INTRODUCED TO US AS MORE OF A "SPECULATION/IDEA/MIGHT HAPPEN" RATHER THAN A "DEFINITELY WILL HAPPEN/ALL THE STARS ARE ALIGNED" CONFIDENCE LEVEL.

WHAT WAS ANNOUNCED WHEN:

1. CINCY STATE CAME TO TOWN....AND WHAT REALLY HAPPENDED?

2. THE OLD JOURNAL BUILDING WAS PURCHASED....AND WHAT REALLY HAPPENED?

3. THE THATCHER BUILDINGS WERE PURCHASED....AND WHAT REALLY HAPPENED?

4. THE MANCHESTER WAS CITY PURCHASED ASKING $350,000....AND WHAT REALLY HAPPENED?

5. WHEN THE CITY GAVE BUSINESS LOANS TO THOSE WHO WANTED TO START IN THE DOWNTOWN AREA....AND WHAT REALLY HAPPENED?

6. WHEN THE CITY THREW MONEY AT THE ROSE FURNITURE BUILDING.....AND WHAT REALLY HAPPENED?

7. THE CITY THREW $300,000+ AT THE PAC BUILDING....AND WHAT REALLY HAPPENED?

8. THE DUNCAN OIL/CABINET SHOP/OFFICE OUTFITTERS PROPERTY PURCHASES FIASCO.....AND WHAT REALLY HAPPENED?

9. AND ON AND ON IT GOES......AND WHAT HAS REALLY HAPPENED DOWNTOWN TO DATE?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2014 at 2:29pm
Journal story....

Manchester hotel nominated for National Register of Historic Places

MIDDLETOWN —
The former Manchester Inn hotel in downtown Middletown will be nominated for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places, according to city officials.

Denise Hamet, Middletown’s economic development directer, said the nomination has been unanimously approved by the Ohio Historic Preservation Advisory Board.

She said the nomination has yet to be confirmed at the federal level, but indications are good that it will move forward. Hamet said the nomination by the state will enable William Grau, head of the Illinois-based group that is redeveloping the Manchester, to compete for historic tax credits to help defray the cost of project.

“The Manchester is an important landmark for Middletown and will serve as a key component helping to move our urban revitalization forward,” Hamet said. “The redevelopment of the Manchester has the potential to engage many elements of our community, including our college partners via culinary and/or hospitality programs. We look forward to having the doors open once again for community events and gatherings.”

NOW WAIT A MINUTE. THIS STATEMENT BY HAMET DRAWS QUESTIONS AS TO VALIDITY.....

“The redevelopment of the Manchester has the potential to engage many elements of our community, including our college partners via culinary and/or hospitality programs. We look forward to having the doors open once again for community events and gatherings.”

I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT THE IDEA OF CS USING THE MANCHESTER FOR A CULINARY AND HOSPITALITY SCHOOL WAS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. HAS CS CHANGED THEIR MINDS? I THOUGHT THE NEW OWNER (GRAU) WAS GOING TO TURN THE MANCHESTER INTO APARTMENTS OR CONDOS.....65 OR SO WASN'T IT?

QUESTION FOR HAMET. WHICH IS IT? GRAU'S APARTMENT/CONDO PLAN OR THE OLD CS PLAN FOR A CULINARY SCHOOL?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2014 at 8:46pm
Ed Richter's and Rick Mccrab's reporting  these days is just awful! 

This property was added to the register on 9/19/2014---nearly a month ago!  Geez Ed, how long have you been sitting on this story?

http://www.nps.gov/nr/listings/20140919.htm
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2014 at 11:03am
Grau better hurry because there is another "pub" in the works downtown as I understand. They'll be up and running before Grau can say "microbrewery". Well,maybe Middletown can be the new "microbrewery capital of Ohio" LOL
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2014 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

Grau better hurry because there is another "pub" in the works downtown as I understand. They'll be up and running before Grau can say "microbrewery". Well,maybe Middletown can be the new "microbrewery capital of Ohio" LOL

That's my understanding as well.  But a beer bar that serves a wide selection of craft beer and a microbrewery are two different things. 

Microbreweries produce and potentially serve onsite.  Long-term goal is often local, regional or national distribution.  I am guessing that would be the goal of whoever Grau partners with--some form of distribution. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic