Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Saturday, April 20, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ohio House panel OKs bill to repeal Common Core
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ohio House panel OKs bill to repeal Common Core

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ohio House panel OKs bill to repeal Common Core
    Posted: Nov 06 2014 at 2:11pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio House panel has passed a Republican proposal to repeal Common Core learning standards in the state, sending it on to the full House.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2014 at 2:49pm
Read the Standards
Building on the best of existing state standards, the Common Core State Standards provide clear and consistent learning goals to help prepare students for college, career, and life. The standards clearly demonstrate what students are expected to learn at each grade level, so that every parent and teacher can understand and support their learning.

The standards are:

1)Research and evidence based
2)Clear, understandable, and consistent
3)Aligned with college and career expectations
4)Based on rigorous content and the application of knowledge through higher-order thinking skills
5)Built upon the strengths and lessons of current state standards
6)Informed by other top-performing countries to prepare all students for success in our global economy and society
According to the best available evidence, the mastery of each standard is essential for success in college, career, and life in today’s global economy

The standards focus on core concepts and procedures starting in the early grades, which gives teachers the time needed to teach them and gives students the time needed to master them.

The standards draw on the most important international models, as well as research and input from numerous sources, including educators from kindergarten through college, state departments of education, scholars, assessment developers, professional organizations, parents and students, and members of the public.

Because their design and content have been refined through successive drafts and numerous rounds of state feedback, the standards represent a synthesis of the best elements of standards-related work in all states and other countries to date.

BASED ON THE ABOVE CRITERIA, PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME ON WHY THIS ISN'T A GOOD CONCEPT FOR TEACHING KIDS TO SUCCEED IN THE WORKING WORLD? IS THERE SOMETHING THIS ARTICLE IS ELIMINATING THAT HAS THIS REPEAL EFFORT UNDER WAY?

AND WHAT WOULD BE THE ALTERNATIVE TO THE ELIMINATION OF THIS COMMON CORE PROGRAM THAT WOULD MAKE THE SITUATION BETTER?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2014 at 10:28am
Vet, 

Part of it comes from the funding aspect of it. Schools are required to have computers, etc. for kids to test with and not all of them can afford to implement what is needed.  That is part of the problem.  

Another big issue with it is the way it "leaves kids behind" who are not up to par. The Common Core tells kids they need to meet certain goals in a certain amount of time or else (although, the "or else" is not yet spelled out). Great, right? just like the real world.  However, the teachers are told how much time they are to spend on certain criteria, and not a second more or less.  If a student struggles with something that is not gone over (I believe many have found math is a big offender in this by not spending time laying the groundwork for students very well) it is too bad for them.  

Some people argue that this is allowing the government to get too big when it comes to what schools can and cannot teach. There is a fear that someday private, home school or religious institutions will be required to teach what the government tells them too in the name of a common core. 

And finally, there is the argument we are teaching kids to memorize for the tests and not actually learn anything.  
Itsa me, mario!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2014 at 11:21am
"Part of it comes from the funding aspect of it. Schools are required to have computers, etc. for kids to test with and not all of them can afford to implement what is needed. That is part of the problem"

I HAVE HEARD THIS BEFORE FROM THE SCHOOL FOLKS AS TO STOCKING COMPUTERS. REALIZING THE COST FOR EVERY STUDENT TO HAVE A COMPUTER WOULD BE COST PROHIBITIVE, I'M WONDERING IF THE SCHOOLS KNOW THAT CORPORATIONS ARE CONSTANTLY UPGRADING THEIR SYSTEMS AND HAVE WAREHOUSES FULL OF "OUTDATED" COMPUTER SYSTEMS JUST SITTING ON PALLETS. JUST WONDERING IF THE SCHOOLS COULD LINK WITH COMPANIES LIKE P&G TO ASK FOR THE DONATION. I WOULD IMAGINE THAT THESE "OLDER SYSTEMS" WOULD STILL ADDRESS THE NEEDS FOR THE SCHOOLS.

"Another big issue with it is the way it "leaves kids behind" who are not up to par. The Common Core tells kids they need to meet certain goals in a certain amount of time or else (although, the "or else" is not yet spelled out). Great, right? just like the real world"

KIDS LEARNING AT DIFFERENT RATES HAS BEEN IN PLAY FOR DECADES. NOTHING NEW. IN THE PAST, THE PROBLEM OF SLOWER PROGRESSION IN STUDENTS HAS BEEN ADDRESSED IN TWO WAYS. ONE WAS THE CREATION OF AN ALTERNATIVE SCHOOL (LIKE GARFIELD BEFORE THEY TORE IT DOWN) AND LIFE SKILLS THAT IS CURRENTLY IN PLAY. ANOTHER WAY TO ADDRESS THE SLOWER PROGRESSING STUDENT WAS ALWAYS TO HOLD THEM BACK A GRADE, REPEATING THE GRADE TWICE. WHY IS THAT SO TABOO THESE DAYS? IF THE KID ISN'T READY TO MOVE ON TO THE NEXT LEVEL, IT DOES HIM NOR SOCIETY ANY GOOD TO PASS THEM ALONG, READY OF NOT. NOT LOGICAL TO DO SO.

"However, the teachers are told how much time they are to spend on certain criteria, and not a second more or less. If a student struggles with something that is not gone over (I believe many have found math is a big offender in this by not spending time laying the groundwork for students very well) it is too bad for them."

THAT IS WHAT A SATURDAY SCHOOL OR AFTER SCHOOL SESSION IF FOR. OTHER THAN MOST TEACHERS WANTING TO LEAVE SCHOOL AT 2PM, SHORTLY AFTER THEY LET THE STUDENTS GO HOME AT THE HIGH SCHOOL, I SEE NO REASON NOT THE HAVE AFTER SCHOOL SESSIONS WITH A CONTINGENT OF TEACHERS ASSIGNED ON A ROTATING BASIS TO ACCOMODATE THE KIDS DEEMED IN NEED OF SOME EXTRA HELP. HOW ABOUT OPENING UP THE SCHOOL ON A SATURDAY FOR ADDITIONAL STUDENT LEARNING? NOT UNCOMMON TO ASK A SALARIED POSITION TO WORK SOME EXTRA TIME IF NEEDED TO MEET THE NEEDS OF THE JOB IF IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR. SALARIED TEACHERS SHOULD DO THE SAME. JUST CHALK IT UP TO THE NEEDS OF THE JOB AS A SALARIED WORKER.

"Some people argue that this is allowing the government to get too big when it comes to what schools can and cannot teach. There is a fear that someday private, home school or religious institutions will be required to teach what the government tells them too in the name of a common core"

LET'S BACKTRACK A LITTLE. THE GOVERNMENT WOULD NEVER HAVE GOTTEN INVOLVED WITH EDUCATION IF THE SCHOOL PERFORMANCE WAS NEVER IN QUESTION. BECAUSE THE SCHOOLS ARE TURNING OUT A PRODUCT THAT THE COLLEGES CAN'T EDUCATE OR THE EMPLOYERS CAN'T USE, SOMEONE HAD TO TAKE STEPS TO ENSURE THAT SOME POLICING HAD TO BE DONE ON BEHALF OF THE COLLEGES, EMPLOYERS AND TAXPAYERS AND PARENTS. GIVEN THE FACT THAT THE SCHOOLS ARE NOT PRODUCING UP TO AN ACCEPTABLE LEVEL, IT IS PROBABLY NECESSARY TO OVERSEE AND REDIRECT THIER EFFORTS TO ACCOMPLISH A MORE SUCCESSFUL OUTCOME.

WE MUCH MATCH WHAT THE SCHOOLS ARE TEACHING TO WHAT IS NEEDED IN THE REAL WORLD WORKING ENVIRONMENT. TECHNOLOGY, MATH, COMMUNICATION SKILLS, SKILLED TRADES, AND SCIENCE ARE THE CURRENT NEEDS OF THE WORLD. NOT SO SURE THE SCHOOL CURRICULUM ADDRESSES THOSE NEEDS NOWADAYS. THE ASIAN AND EURO NATIONS SEEM TO BE CLOSER TO THE REALITY TARGET AND EXCEL BETTER THAN THE US. WE NEED TO DUPLICATE THEIR EFFORTS/CURRICULUM OR RISK FALLING FURTHER BEHIND. IF THAT MEANS RAMPING UP THE SCHOOL TIME AND CHANGING THE METHODS OF INSTRUCTION AND THE EDCATIONAL PROGRAMS, THEN SO BE IT.

"And finally, there is the argument we are teaching kids to memorize for the tests and not actually learn anything."

PERHAPS THE TARGET IS MIS-IDENTIFIED HERE AS TO WHAT IS NEEDED TO COMPETE GLOBALLY. INSTEAD OF "MEMORIZING FOR TESTS" AND NOT LEARNING ANYTHING, (WE USE TO DO THIS AND WE STILL LEARNED THINGS IN MY SCHOOL DAYS....AND, IN GENERAL, MY GENERATION WAS SUCCESSFUL AND MADE A DECENT LIVING- THE "MEMORIZING AND LEARNING' THING IS NOT TOTALLY USELESS).....PERHAPS THE TARGET SHOULD BE TO EMULATE THE SUCCESSFUL COUNTRIES AND TEACH AS THEY DO, HAVING THE COMMITMENT THEY DO TO SPEND WHAT IS NEEDED )(7DAYS A WEEK???) TO COMPETE AND IMPROVE THE U.S. SCHOOL SYSTEM. HOW MUCH OF A COMMITMENT DO YOU THINK THE EDUCATIONAL COMMUNITY HAS NOW TO DO WHAT IT TAKES TO UPGRADE THE SYSTEM? AT TIMES, WE HEAR THAT THE SCHOOLS ARE DEDICATED TO EDUCATING THE KIDS. IS THAT TRUE AND ARE THEY WILLING TO PUT IN THE TIME TO CHANGE THE RESULTS, THUS ELIMINATING GOVERNMENT INTERVENTION.

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic