FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown Cemetery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown Cemetery
    Posted: Jan 11 2015 at 1:33pm

Posted: 12:00 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 11, 2015

Repairs on the horizon at historic cemetery

By Ed Richter

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN 

A unique piece of Middletown history may finally have the funding needed for a critical repair.

For years, a plastic tarp has served as a makeshift roof for the 135-year-old stone vault at Middletown Cemetery, where many of the city’s founding families are buried.

The Middletown Cemetery Board — a volunteer group of five residents — would like the vault to be used as a museum and learning center at the historic cemetery on First Avenue, said Steve Bohannon, cemetery board chairman.

To see that idea come to fruition, the Middletown Cemetery Board has spent years applying for grants and gathering private donations and has raised nearly $21,000 for the project.

The city is expected Jan. 20 to approve an ordinance that will provide a portion of funding needed to complete the nearly $27,000 roof project.

The city’s portion of funding for the repairs will come from leftover 2014 Community Revitalization funding, according to a report by City Manager Doug Adkins.

“This is a long term distraction that can now be completed, allowing us to move on to other projects,” he said in his report.

In that report, Adkins also noted that the roof has been covered with a tarp for a number of years, which is a violation of the city’s property management code.

Bohannon said the tarp has been replaced a couple of times, with the latest replacement in 2014.

The restoration of the roof to historical standards requires specialized work with slate and copper, according to Adkins.    Two bids for the work were solicited from contractors qualified to complete this type of work with the lowest bid from Bayless Roofing & Sheet Metal for $26,755.

Bohannon said the board is hoping to have the roof repaired by April.

“We’re very pleased that we could work together on this project to get it finalized so we can move forward to other projects needed (at the cemetery),” Bohannon said.

The Victorian-style vault was originally built as an open-air shelter with a patio around 1880.

The Middletown Cemetery Association, which owned the cemetery, decided to close off the windows with bricks and installed shelves to store bodies during the winter until gravediggers could resume their work after the spring thaw.

Many families moved their loved ones from Middletown Cemetery to Woodside Cemetery when it opened in 1891.

The city took over ownership of Middletown Cemetery in 1947, but there was little funding for maintenance. The cemetery remains active with some older families who still own plots there.

Since Bohannon joined the board in 2010, he said there have been two burials in Middletown Cemetery.

The board, which was created in October 2012 to advise council on the cemetery’s needs, has worked to acquire grants in addition to private donations several volunteers to help maintain the historic cemetery.

Before the electronic gate was installed a couple of years ago, workers at neighboring Denny Lumber would unlock and lock the gate during the week while board members handled the task on weekends and holidays. The new gate automatically opens at 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. seven days a week.

More than $70,000 in private donations and grants was raised by the board to keep the vault standing by securing the stone work so it would not be torn down, Bohannon said.

A Middletown Community Foundation grant helped to restore 100 broken and damaged tombstones. Numerous diseased trees have been removed in the past few years by Duke Energy and the Middletown Tree Commission.

Community and school groups have continued to volunteer by planting flower pots by the vault, cleaning up the Doty family plot, and picking up trash and leaves along the cemetery’s fence lines. Local Scout troops have also placed flags on the 238 graves of veterans who served from the Revolutionary War through Vietnam War.

MIDDLETOWN HISTORICAL PIONEER CEMETERY

Opened: May 30, 1827

Size: The original cemetery was four acres but grew to 11 acres by 1869. Thirteen lots were originally set aside for a potters field.

Number of graves: There are about 7,000 graves, including 238 graves of veterans who served from the Revolutionary War through the Vietnam War. It remains an active cemetery.

Who’s buried there? Daniel Doty, a founder of Middletown, is buried there, as is Stephen Vail. Many other founding families are there as well, including Lefferson, Tytus, Sutphin and Bowman.

Ownership: The city of Middletown has owned the cemetery since 1947 after the Middletown Cemetery Association experienced financial difficulties.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2015 at 4:51pm
I believe Vivian's name should have been mentioned in this story Mr. Richter. She has contributed as much as those mentioned and IMO. deserves to be acknowledged for keeping the cemetery interest going. Her interest, work and research should be appreciated by the city.

People planting flowers. Interest in restoring the roof on the vault. School, scout and other volunteers.......the focus has come a long way since the days when the Gilleland Adminstration ripped out the landscaping, allegedly out of vindictiveness.

Good to see positive activity once again on this.

Adkins:

"“This is a long term distraction that can now be completed, allowing us to move on to other projects,” he said in his report."

Does this comment bother any of you and does it have an uncaring nature to it? Just seems a little callous to me.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2015 at 5:03pm
I am Thrilled!!!

Wonderful News this is.... The Middletown Cemetery Board did a wonderful Job in the last five years as a board in raising awareness and in raising over $75,000.00 through private donations, and grants from Middletown Community Foundation, area businesses,volunteers and the final amount from the City of Middletown to make sure this vault was not torn down and to get this Vault roof completed. Did I say I was THRILLED!!!!

Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2015 at 12:31am
None of this would ever have happened without the tireless efforts of Vivian Combs Moon. A job well done, Vivian.
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2015 at 9:19am
Did I Say I am Thrilled!!

This is the Best news for the Middletown Cemetery.

I have been Working on this Cemetery since 1995 With the first Cleanup that had happened in Years in the Cemetery. My sons Boy Scout troop was the First Troop to get in there and clean the fence lines and cut down bushes and rake leaves and debris off the fences along with the City of Middletown and others. Then in May of 1995 this scout troop placed an American Flag on each Veterans Grave.

In my opinion it does not matter who did what. All that matters is that it is getting done! We do not do this for personal recognition, we do it because we want to see this cemetery clean and getting the attention that it deserves, as many of Middletown's founding members and first families are buried there along with 238 American War Veterans.

We thank everyone that has made a contribution to help the Middletown Cemetery Board push along with the projects.

I am sure Mitch is smiling down on all of us knowing that the Vault will have a new roof this spring.

Thank you
wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2015 at 11:34am
I would like to personally thank Vivian Moon for her relentless endeavors to accomplish this wonderful event.
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2015 at 10:24am
The Dougmeister recently referred to anticipated repairs of the Historic Cemetery vault as being a long-term distraction. Instead, he should have apologized for the long ignored repair of a landmark that symmbolizes the indifference and retaliation by recent city managers.
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2015 at 10:40am
it is getting done everyone needs to stop complaining about this
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2015 at 10:49am
Humor me.

Getting done associated with violation of Ohio statutes?
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2015 at 10:56am
Originally posted by da120757 da120757 wrote:

it is getting done everyone needs to stop complaining about this

da, don't know if I would describe the posts as complaining but rather the concern as to the time it took to accomplish the roof replacement, the absence of credit given to Ms. Moon, who was the early catalyst to the activity we are seeing now and the episodes, under the Gilleland Administration as to the outright contempt/vindictiveness shown by Ms. Gilleland toward the efforts of Ms. Moon, especially the destruction of the landscaping placed by the entrance by good-hearted volunteers who did not deserve the treatment they received by the city. I would add that the current cemetery board would be wise to utilize Ms. Moon for her knowledge on the overall cemetery burial history, grounds, and condition and acknowledge her accordingly. To date, this has not been done.It would appear that the "late comers" are forgetting who started this project and are willing to take full credit for any success to date. That is wrong. Give credit where credit is due.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2015 at 5:31pm
You need to have walked in Vivian's shoes before critiquing anyone.
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2015 at 6:31pm
Everyone keep throwing your DIGS out there at the Board and at the City. All I know is We, THE BOARD, have for the last 5 years raised Money and Raised Awareness to get this Vault Done and that was all done without Ms. Moon. The Walls are still standing and the new roof will be put on this spring. I agree with you that Ms. Moon is the most knowledgeable person about this cemetery and I commend her for all that she did and all the difficulties she had from the City from 2005 to 2010. I am sorry that the City removed all the flowers that she planted because they were beautiful. I fought with the city from 1995 to 2000 only getting a few things taken care of in the cemetery. As for giving Credit where credit is due. That Credit goes to all of us that have fought to get this Vault completed, please don't make it sound like Vivian did all this on her own because as of 2009 She has not been allowed to have anything to do with the Cemetery. As for "Late Comers", I have been involved with this Cemetery since 1995 long before Ms. Gilliland, long before a cemetery board and long before Ms. Moon So you all say what you will but, since I am on the Cemetery Board that is all I will say about! that..
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2015 at 9:52pm
da120757, don't waste your time on here trying to talk about progress in this city. Most of the posters on this site will never,ever give credit to those trying to change the image of this once great city. You will be met with constant criticism and disregard. If you point to something good they will say "yeah but....." they always refrence prior city commissions without acknowledging that we are trying. I once posted something positive about a parade in the city and was met with negativism and mockery. They critique and mock people for opening restaurants and businesses.  I applaude you and your board for your leadership in getting this done. I also applaude Ms. Moon for her contributions.Clap Keep up the good work and thank you and everyone trying to help improve this city from within. 
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2015 at 10:24pm
mm, the city leaders, current and past city council, and present and past BOE are deserving of all criticism. The false canards are serving only to allow the waste of taxpayer money on the false promise, indeed, fiction, Middletown is turning the corner.

In the instance on the cemetery, it was the state of Ohio's statute that served to rectify the situation on the building. 
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2015 at 6:37am
da120757:

If you were working on the cemetery before Gilleland and Moon, why didn't you bring the deteriorating condition of the cemetery to the attention of the public before Ms. Moon did?

It has been documented that Ms. Moon has done the grave research, the grant research to obtain funds for the cemetery, has helped in clearing the fenceline and realigning the grave stones. She has initiated the mausoleum repairs and has brought it to the community's attention that the cemetery was forgotten about and needed attention. Again, she and her crew planted the entrance landscaping destroyed by Gilleland out of spite.

THEN we heard about a cemetery board and were introduced to the members. This attitude about exclusion by Gilleland was documented also. But she is gone and it's Adkin's show now. Why doesn't the board and Adkins reinstate her as she is a valuable resource for the work at hand? No need in playing the exclusion game. Done too often in this city by council and the school board. No need to carry it over to the other committees. Just breeds distrust and hatred between citizen and government.

da:

"As for giving Credit where credit is due. That Credit goes to all of us that have fought to get this Vault completed, please don't make it sound like Vivian did all this on her own because as of 2009 She has not been allowed to have anything to do with the Cemetery."

As has been published to date, Ms. Moon, even though excluded, has done more to bring the cemetery to what it is today than your board has done. The exclusion is childish and juvenile behavior on the part of the ones supporting it. Let go of the "it's my shovel. my sand pail, and my sand box" behavior. It is time for adults to grow up and stop playing games if they want to occupy a seat involved in running this city.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2015 at 7:12am
Originally posted by middiemom middiemom wrote:

da120757, don't waste your time on here trying to talk about progress in this city. Most of the posters on this site will never,ever give credit to those trying to change the image of this once great city. You will be met with constant criticism and disregard. If you point to something good they will say "yeah but....." they always refrence prior city commissions without acknowledging that we are trying. I once posted something positive about a parade in the city and was met with negativism and mockery. They critique and mock people for opening restaurants and businesses.  I applaude you and your board for your leadership in getting this done. I also applaude Ms. Moon for her contributions.Clap Keep up the good work and thank you and everyone trying to help improve this city from within. 

middiemom, you're telling da120757 to not waste their time on here, yet you are a contributing member of this forum, usually in defense of the city leaders and seem annoyed by our comments. Why are you on here if you are so disgusted with our responses? Why do you keep coming back? You do have a choice you know.

You mention that we slam the people who are trying to fix this city and it's image. The people who are "trying to fix this city" come from the very same group as the people who helped destroy it. The former and current city leaders have gotten us into the mess we are in. Now, a few want to attempt to fix the damage done? They are soley to blame as their mode of operation is to ignore the ideas (that would actually work) of those who are not in their group- IE, the majority of the citizens. The others, potential business owners and residents, outside the realm of city leadership, have given up on the idea of dealing with the city leaders and have moved on to greener pastures. We are losing population and a big reason is the deterioration of the city and the way it is being run. Some people, many on this forum, who care are mad and disgusted. Most simply don't care.

No one mocks or critiques business people on opening up a business. We mock and criticize the SYSTEM IN PLACE that allows business people to open a business. The SYSTEM IN PLACE is one of money loans to "friends of the city" IE- the Beau Verre people and any other inner circle people who want to waste the taxpayer's money for their own benefit. We are not sure if any of our money has ever been paid back or not. We have always said that we fully support any and all business people who want to open a business here....IF THEY USE THEIR OWN PRIVATE SECTOR MONEY to do it. Taxpayer money should not be used to subsidize a business and city government should not be into real estate purchases nor business startup loans. THAT is the issue here.

The city would improve for everyone if city leaders would just start listening to the people, lose their egos and provide what the people want. Instead, they INSIST on providing what THEY want for the people. THEY want to call the shots and THEY are excluding the majority of the people who should have a voice but do not. In their mind, this is THEIR city, not the people's. THAT is the problem.   
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2015 at 7:34am

By Deb Morrison-I am Thrilled!!! 
Wonderful News this is.... The Middletown Cemetery Board did a wonderful Job in the last five years as a board in raising awareness and in raising over $75,000.00 through private donations, and grants from Middletown Community Foundation, area businesses,volunteers and the final amount from the City of Middletown to make sure this vault was not torn down and to get this Vault roof completed. Did I say I was THRILLED!!!!

By Deb Morrison -Everyone keep throwing your DIGS out there at the Board and at the City. All I know is We, THE BOARD, have for the last 5 years raised Money and Raised Awareness to get this Vault Done and that was all done without Ms. Moon. The Walls are still standing and the new roof will be put on this spring. I agree with you that Ms. Moon is the most knowledgeable person about this cemetery and I commend her for all that she did and all the difficulties she had from the City from 2005 to 2010. I am sorry that the City removed all the flowers that she planted because they were beautiful. I fought with the city from 1995 to 2000 only getting a few things taken care of in the cemetery. As for giving Credit where credit is due. That Credit goes to all of us that have fought to get this Vault completed, please don't make it sound like Vivian did all this on her own because as of 2009. She has not been allowed to have anything to do with the Cemetery. As for "Late Comers", I have been involved with this Cemetery since 1995 long before Ms. Gilliland, long before a cemetery board and long before Ms. Moon So you all say what you will but, since I am on the Cemetery Board that is all I will say about! that..

Deb Morrison
I would strongly suggest you check your facts before you come on this forum and discuss what Vivian Moon has and has not done for the Middletown Cemetery over the past ten years. The above statements are inaccurate.
And just for your information…I continue to work on researching and correcting the records for the Middletown Cemetery and Woodside Cemetery about 4 hours every day. My web site is the most accurate official record of those buried at the Middletown Cemetery.
As a member of the Middletown Cemetery Board your actions and comments are unprofessional.

da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2015 at 9:45am
Oh for Gods sakes Vivian I did not once say that you never did anything in the last five years for the Cemetery.  I did however say you did not have anything to do with raising the funds to get the vault complete that was all on the board including Mitchell God rest his Sole.  I for one am glad that you continue to work on the records and research of the cemetery since I do not have time to do it.  I have not seen your website in a few years and I know that it is up to date and full of research that other cemetery sites do not have and yes I thank you for that too because if someone asks me about a headstone or a burial in the cemetery I usually just send them to you or your website. As far as my actions being unprofessional well thats your opinion and as far as I am concerned The Vault will have a new roof, and this is by all of us working together and not just one person taking credit for it all and I am done with this conversation so say what you will...
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2015 at 11:04am
Vivian, if I may post even though Ms. Morrison's comments were directed toward you......

da120757:

"The Vault will have a new roof, and this is by all of us working together and not just one person taking credit for it all and I am done with this conversation so say what you will"

If "this is by all of us working together", then why has Ms. Moon not been allowed to participate in the Cemetery Committee activities?

Just seems to me that, by your description of the situation, you and the other members of the cemetery board are taking credit for what transpired before your committee activities were revealed to the community. IE- I believe Ms. Moon was instrumental in the initiation of the grants as well as the early work on the maintenance of the grounds, the building and the burial research. Whether she had a chance to follow through before your group took over, I don't know.

If she is willing, why don't you board members include her in the operation and planning? You agreed she was a valuable asset in your post. Perhaps in a consultant role if not a committee member. Show us you mean what you say.

FmrMide81 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FmrMide81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2015 at 1:23pm
The only productive thing the cemetery board has done is can Michael McNeil. Other than that they are resting on others laurels-but that's Middie Pride for ya'...
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2015 at 5:23pm

The Middletown Cemetery has 7,000 stories to tell and I hope to live long enough to tell each and every one of them. They came from all over the world to Middletown with hopes and dreams of making a better life for their families and now rest quietly within the grounds of this cemetery.
A meandering stroll through the Middletown Cemetery is like walking through the pages of our community’s history and therefore I believe it should be treated with respect and cared for like a rare history book.
These are the people that made our country, our state and Middletown great and they deserve not only our respect but our protection.
This is part of the research that I just completed on the BLAIR – McLEAN Scottish families that are buried at the Middletown Cemetery.

Memoirs of the Miami Valley
Published in 1919

John L. Blair, who is widely and favorably known in commercial circles of Middletown as the proprietor of a thriving grocery on South Clinton street, and who has also performed capably and conscientiously the duties pertaining to several public offices, belongs to a family which has been connected with the business history of this community for sixty-eight years. He was born at Middletown, June 22, 1864, a son of John and Barbara (McLean) Blair, and a grandson of John and Janet (Barr) Blair, who met and were married at Campbelltown, near Glasgow, Scotland. The Blair family is traced back to the old Romans in Britain. In the second century, history relates, the Romans in Perthshire, Scotland, according to their reckoning, gained a great victory over the Caledonians, the scene of the decisive battle being known as Blair's Hill, which would indicate that Blair was a familiar name even at that early date. Among ancient castles of Scottish chiefs was Blair Castle, the stronghold of the Montrose clan in 1644, which was stormed by Cromwell about ten years later. In 1690 it was practically a ruin, but 200 years later was restored, and at present is the seat of the Duke of Athole. The home of the Drummonds of Perthshire is called Blair-Drummond house. In the new world, a famous old Blair home is that of the late Judge John Blair of Williamsburg, Va., which is still one of the early colonial landmarks. American branches of the Blair family trace back to Scotland through John Blair, of Virginia, an early colonist, and one Alexander Blair was a forefather also in the Old Dominion. One of the New England forefathers was David Blair, of Massachusetts, whose son, Robert, married Hannah Thompson. James Blair of Virginia was the founder of William and Mary college and its first president, and too was a contemporary of three governors of Virginia, Spottiswood, Gooch and Dinwiddie. Like them, he was of Scotch birth. The statesmen of the Blair family have included Senator Henry Blair of the New England family and Judge Montgomery Blair, of Kentucky. Senator Francis Preston Blair of Kentucky, who was born in Virginia after the close of

the Revolutionary war, was a son of James Blair, attorney general of Kentucky. Montgomery Blair and Francis Blair, Sr., were brothers. The family of President James K. Polk was allied with the Blairs. "Like Angels' Visits, short and far between," is a line from one of the poems of Robert Blair, who was born in Edinburg, Scotland, and one of whose sons became lord president of the Court of Sessions. Hugh Blair, another relative, was born in Edinburg. His volume of sermons so pleased King George III that he granted him a pension, and the success of his lectures on literature led to the foundation of a chair of belles lettres at Edinburgh University. The Blair coat-of-arms is blazoned argent on a saltier sable nine, nine mascles voided sable. Crest: A stay lodged proper. Motto: "Amo probos (I love the virtuous)." This is the coat-of-arms of the Blairs of Scottish birth. There is a similar blazon of arms for the Blairs born in Ireland, only the number of mascles is five and there are crescents, mullets and garbs, symbolizing sincerity, loyalty and constancy. The parents of John L. Blair were young people when they came to the United States from their native land of Scotland, and were married at Middletown in 1854. They came to Middletown, where John Blair became one of this city's first paper manufacturers, being superintendent of the old Barnitz Paper company. Later he embarked in the grocery business, with which he was connected until the time of his retirement in 1900. His death occurred June 14, 1906, and that of his wife in 1908. He was an elder in the Presbyterian church for a period of forty years, and he and his wife were the parents of four children: John L.; Anna, the wife of W. H. Ely, of Middletown; Miss Isabel Edna, of this city; and Jennie, the wife of J. F. Winton, of Philadelphia. John L. Blair was educated in the public schools of Middletown, and when he was still a youth began to be associated with his father in the conduct of the grocery business. At the time of his father's retirement, in 1900, he assumed the management, and at the present time is sole owner of the business, which is located at 316 Clinton street and enjoys an excellent patronage. Recognized as one of Middletown's premier business men, progressive and enterprising, Mr. Blair has also served his community well and energetically in offices of public importance having been president of the school board for two years, a member of the city council one year and a member of the board of public service for six years and eight months, during two years of which time he was president of that body. As a fraternalist he belongs to the Masons and his religious connection is with the Presbyterian church. January 15, 1891, Mr. Blair married Bertha Rebecca Thompson, who came from Belfast, Ireland, and whose father died November 2, 1906, her mother passing away in Ireland. Mr. and Mrs. Blair are the parents of six children: Hugh Thompson, Charles, Agnes Lucile, John Milton, Vincent Paul and Eugene.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic