FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kelly Cowan at Cincy State

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kelly Cowan at Cincy State
    Posted: Mar 04 2015 at 12:03pm

Posted: 11:08 a.m. Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Former MUM dean joins Cincinnati State

By Rick McCrabb

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN 

Instead of a retire/rehire, Kelly Cowan is trying a retire/inspire.

After 21 years at Miami University Middletown, including serving as dean, Cowan retired on Dec. 31, 2014 and now has joined Cincinnati State Middletown as special assistant to the president, Dr. O’Dell M. Owens. In 2013, Cowan earned $137,411 at Miami University, and this year at Cincinnati State, her salary for the part-time position is zero.

Cowan, 53, has three grown children, and married Ted Light last year. She said she’s financially secure.

It’s time to give back, she said.

“This is about my faith,” Cowan said Monday afternoon while sitting on a couch in the lobby of Cincinnati State. “God has given me so much. I just want to do what I can to make this place the best that it can be. I think this place has the right mission, taking students who may not know what they want and giving them a chance.

“This place gets it.”

Just then, a young female student walked by, carrying her books, pushing a stroller.

“There is huge potential here,” Cowan said. “Some of these students, well, you don’t know what they have been through. All they want is a chance.”

Cowan talks from experience. She became a teen mother in high school, and at the time, never dreamed of earning an associate’s degree. Now she holds a PhD in microbiology from the University of Louisville School of Medicine. She has been a professor of microbiology since 1993 and has served numerous roles at MUM. She also served as the National    Chair for Undergraduate Education for the American Society of Microbiology.

In 2009, she founded the Community Building Institute (CBI) in Middletown providing cradle-to-career programming for youth and creating the Parent Resource Center.

To be successful, Cincinnati State must “rethink” the way it educates its students, Cowan said. For instance, non-traditional students can’t take 50-minute classes three times a week because of their work and home schedules. Instead, they need a block schedule where they attend class for three hours at a time. Transportation and childcare shouldn’t be obstacles to keep someone from attending college, said Cowan.

Also, she said, Cincinnati State officials need to change their approach to recruiting students. Instead of attending college fairs and passing out free pens, they need to discuss career options with waitresses and waiters and those working minimum wage jobs. Show them a career path, she said.

“We can’t use ‘college speak,’” she said. “We need to use ‘people speak.’”

Cincinnati State Middletown offers 30 degrees and certificates taught entirely at the Middletown branch campus and more than 100 degree and certificate programs on the Clifton campus that students can take once they have completed their general education requirements in Middletown.

Owens said the first time he met Cowan he noticed her “strong passion” to help Middletown residents who wanted to change their lives.

Before she made the career move, she discussed it with her husband over dinner in Cincinnati. She gave him veto rights.

“He’s very supportive,” she said. “He knows my heart.”

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2015 at 12:54pm
When does it end with the 2x dippers leaving after a few years, and moving to the next state job? Giving something back? The most politically minded professor at MUM, she must have minored in polysci. Her role will be to harness the voting block downtown at C State. Taxpayers should be getting annoyed at the gift that keeps giving----double dipping the state system. Cowens uptick began with Becker and continues today as they learned MUM could provide voters that had no ramifications on paying taxes. Giving bldings away to Micah Glasser and partners. More revenue from MUM on lease than cost of blding. Events and planning? Wildwood, Brown Runs, countless bars and restaurants providing such capabilities. These moving pieces are questionable as to motivation. Public sector runs too much of Middletown, at your peril.     
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2015 at 1:13pm
Yet another non-resident continuing to pull levers of power in Middletown.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2015 at 2:55pm
Not being an insider nor knowing the out of sight internal games being played downtown, I see the surface fluff on a lot of things mentioned on this forum.

The "surface fluff" of this story mentions that Cowen will take the position for free as she is financially secure. The "surface fluff" also tells me that she cares about the kids getting a good education and that she came from some hard times in her earlier years. It also mentions that she was chosen by the President of CS because she cares about Middletown and has created some helpful programs targeting the educational process here.

All good things as one reads the story. These things, and the fact that Cincy State needs all the help it can get because it is woefully behind on expectations pertaining to enrollment numbers, potential student interest and hasn't made a dent in the proposed uptick in sidewalk traffic CS was suppose to create downtown, mentioned early on in the school's development.

I hope Ms. Cowen can make a difference, but, based on the old "past attempts versus successful gains" criteria, I anticipate that what we see now from the school is probably what they are going to get from now on. If the interest hasn't happened yet for them after a few years in existence, it probably won't meet their expectations at any future date......no matter who they bring in to prime the pump. I predict Ms. Cowen will, at best, make a slight improvement, stay a year or two, realize at some instance that her work is done here, and will fade into the sunset with her husband in tow to live happily ever after....away from Middletown.

An interesting prospective from acclaro on the downtown voting block subject and the role Ms. Cowen will play in all of that. It's as if she has now been deemed an "ambassador representing the city" as to CS involvement in the downtown. Wonder if it will make any difference at all? Does she really have that much influence in this city to make this attempt a success?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2015 at 1:35am
How is she double dipping if her salary is ZERO?

Hell, I have lived in Middletown for most of my life and feel disconnected from the City. I know she has worked here and has been involved in the community, I'd bet she is more involved in the community than most of the residents here.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic