FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Nuisance Law

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2015 at 9:27am
If I recall, sometime ago the Master Plan indicated 30,000 was its sustainable goal. Part of the rationale was associated with police and fire support, the numbers the city could afford, and the type of citizens the city wanted, professionals, educated, etc.

City is firm a vibrant downtown is the key to rebirth. Can't have destruction downtown and have a rebirth. Two major colleges in Middletown with the potential to have 10,000 students enrolled and a thousand administrators and faculty surely makes Middletown having the potential to host educated, well paid residents, and a place for retirement with golf, arts, and continued education.

Progress is being made. Slower than many wish, but its coming.  
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2015 at 6:09am
Originally posted by Factguy Factguy wrote:

Ms. Moon, the city will be saved.

Population will fall below 30,000, which is their plan, and what is budgeted in future for police and fire.  Strong voter participation supporting the city makes every levy assured to be passed. Its only a matter of time before tax is raised to 2.0%, in line with Hamilton.

The time being spent now is to get those off the merry go round that aren't on board, off, which brings population down to the goal. If you weren't on the bus to Greenville, thanks for the offer, but no thanks for participation. Straight talk.   

Why do they want the population at less than 30 thou? Losing revenue, property taxes, city income tax, less buying power in population loss....don't understand the logic......or complete lack of it. Why do the current crop of leaders have, as their agenda, the focus of town destruction and why do they insist on making this a small yuppie fru fru town like Oxford? The city demographics won't allow them to do so. This will never be just a college/artzy town. The atmosphere won't allow it. The city is surrounded by progress and activity and they want to make this place a quiet little laid back serene village? Ain't gonna happen no matter what their plans may be. Lebanon was once that quiet little village they now want for Middletown. Lebanon is slowly yielding to more activity and growth and is no longer the sleepy little hamlet it once was.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2015 at 9:23pm
I am in King Library at least five times a week FM81, as part of my professional duties at the Oxford campus. You indicated Middletown Midpointe was used as a stable for the poor. No thanks for paying for public housing. Or, an alternative to Redbox for dvd's. 
FmrMide81 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FmrMide81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2015 at 8:03pm
To Dean/Moron-Monroe is being financed by a donation left by someone who-obviously unlike you-knew what an asset a library is to a community. It does not surprise me you don't use the library-god forbid you learn or experience something new and useful-better to just stay at your keyboard and kvetch about every little problem in town. How sad for you.
Vivian-yes,like  many public places (Movie theaters, churches,  daycare's, etc). there have been bedbugs found at the library. They have trained staff in proper treatment of suspect material and have had professional service when needed..
To anyone who feels libraries are outdated and unnecessary-PLEASE visit and see what is REALLY happening-not hearsay from those who just want to vote NO on every levy no matter what. Sit in on a children's storytime or attend a computer training class. Join the thousands (yes-thousands) who participate in the Summer Reading Program-there are many other programs that benefit both minds and bodies. As with any election it is better to know what you're getting for your vote
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2015 at 3:51pm
I was told that this legislation is to be removed from Tuesday's agenda...however the agenda for the council meeting still has not been posted on the city web site
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2015 at 1:46pm
Yep Acclaro...we live under "Landen Law"...also known as make it up as we go law.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2015 at 1:38pm
Recall when the MCSD put its signs up a week of two before allowed pursuant to the city ordinance? Recall Les L's response? "Oh, its okay. Maybe we need to give the ordinance some 'latitude' this time." No harm, no foul, total disregard of ordinance.

Selective amnesia. Selective code enforcement. 

Just another arrow in the quiver or 'nuisance toolkit' for use when city wants to bring out the hammer and play smash-mouth. 
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2015 at 12:59pm
Well Factguy I guess this is where we will agree to disagree
The numbers clearly show that our city can not survive on its current path and the EPA will be knocking at our door in 2016. 
If the tax rate goes to 2% we will lose even more people and business.

What is that old saying "People treat you the way you allow them to treat you"
It is time to get off the couch and march on City Hall.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2015 at 12:50pm
Acclaro: No truer words have been spoken. Thank you for your uncanny ability to cut to heart of these codified ordnances. What you have said is the truth and WILL all come to pass! JMO
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2015 at 12:33pm
Ms. Moon, the city will be saved.

Population will fall below 30,000, which is their plan, and what is budgeted in future for police and fire.  Strong voter participation supporting the city makes every levy assured to be passed. Its only a matter of time before tax is raised to 2.0%, in line with Hamilton.

The time being spent now is to get those off the merry go round that aren't on board, off, which brings population down to the goal. If you weren't on the bus to Greenville, thanks for the offer, but no thanks for participation. Straight talk.   
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2015 at 12:00pm
Factguy

You are correct....City Hall has been involved in toooo many inside deals with their favorite buddies.
It is even worse than you and the citizens believes.
Everytime I start reseaching a little problem that has caught my eye...I find another "Snake Pit".
I know that you and others think that I just love to get on this blog and bash City Hall but this is not what I'm about.
We have a serious problem at City Hall and the citizens have the right to know the facts...without the spin.
Factguy we need to stop worrying about who is red and who is blue and come together and save our City.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2015 at 11:28am

Spider

I will support anyone that wants real change in this city…not just plant a few flowers and put lipstick on the pig change.

I want to call City Hall and get an honest answer to any question that I have…not a tap dancing lesson.
I want to watch a City Council Meetings and know for a fact that everything that is being said is truthful.
I want to get a bang for my tax dollar and see results.
..…at this time I’m getting none of the above.

Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2015 at 11:25am
City and council has a select number of people who they support, and vice versa. Room for many tokens, make you feel good supporters, but just window dressing. Real power and influence only with a few. Become an insider. Open a framing shop, or a storefront specializing in Italian opera. And be active in cty GOP, and do the festival in June.    
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2015 at 9:28am
The real problem with any codified ordinance in Middletown is it gives the city selective ability to hassle and become a nuisance for those it wants to purge or retaliate.

Ever read the tax ordinance? It requires every 16 year old or over the DECLARE income, and pay income, even if the income is nominal. How many kids really file the form and pay city tax on the yards they mow each summer, the money made raking a yard. Had a friend tell me over coffee recently, his 27 year old son got a letter he hadn't declared income in the years he was in college at Middleberry in Vermont, then grad school at U of Vermont. He called, explained no income, attending college, and was a non resident. City gave him until 4/15 or threatened to have him arrested. Most attorneys know you don't use criminal threats as a collection agency tactic associated with ethic obligations.

Kid filed form, paid his 100. penalty fine, unconscionable when no income was made, and said he'd never be in Middletown again. Some welcome wagon down at Donham, with a kid now working at Boston Consulting Group making more than 150,000 annually never wanting to set foot in city

All the ordinances allow is discretionary hassle. Your friendly city at work with its ordinances that run people out, not in.    

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2015 at 9:26am
I want to help, fact guy
I want to be a part of turning this city around, and I think that I have enough local experience and public confidence to do so.

That being said, I agree with most of what Ms.Moon just posted.

We need to stop being divided by location and thinking. There is room for everyone and something for everywhere.
But most of us can't penetrate the inner circle of power and enablers.
Are we really that un-important?
Can they really do it without us?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2015 at 4:35am
Read this new ordinance closely, including all of the referenced ordinances, and you will find that City Hall can declare virtually ANY property in Middletown a "nuisance" under this ordinance.

They might tell you that "that is not what it means", but THAT IS WHAT IT SAYS!!!

You will be able to beat them in court, but that will cost you!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2015 at 3:52am
Vivian,
      Then why not start a petition to have term limits for council. That would solve a lot of problems for all taxpaying citizens. Some of our younger taxpaying citizens need to step up to the plate and make certain they get enough signatures on the petition so that city council, city manager and the law director can't manipulate it and keep it from getting on the ballot.
         pn

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2015 at 3:00am

Factguy

Many people in this city have stepped up and gave freely of their time and talents over the years to try to make Middletown a better community and two years later when you talk with them they are walking away saying I will never get involved with a city project again. 

We have all read wonderful stories in the newspaper about a future project and we get all excited about it…and a year later the entire project turns out to be something entirely different that’s not wonderful at all but just another total waste of taxpayers money.

Several years ago while all the cities around us were cutting cost and personnel Middletown did nothing and later decided to use 10% of our emergency funds to get them “over the hump” and it was right back to business as usual.

Over the past 30 years City Hall has raped and raided every fund and now they want more…I will not give them another dime and I will vote NO on any and all levies. It is time for City Hall to learn to be frugal and live within their budget.

Factguy, this is no longer a friendly city that cares for its citizens….this has become a power hungry City Hall operating under Home Rule with Vague Laws so they can do as they damn well please…and the above legislation is a perfect example of this fact. 

What Middletown needs now is TOTAL CHANGE ON CITY COUNCIL AND CITY HALL from top to bottom.

Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2015 at 10:05pm
Many of us were on board with the making of city ordinances more friendly.

However, the focus has changed away from city friendly, to codified ordinances which are vague and ambivalent.

Correct it and get the right focus. Highlighting the decline of city resources through this ordinance brings unwanted negative visibility.   
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2015 at 6:38pm
FrmMide81, only a MORON would justify a levy increase, renewal, or ANY expense predicated upon it being a place to house the homeless. Its for Monroe moron.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2015 at 5:41pm
FmrMide81
I stopped going to the library...
Isn't it true that the library is now having a major problem with bedbugs?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2015 at 5:34pm
Yes Dean
Rome is burning and City Hall called in a decorator to fix the problem...Wink
But your sun glasses today beause that brighter future is just around the corner........
FmrMide81 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FmrMide81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2015 at 5:30pm
"fat library levy"??? It's a renewal you moron. But go ahead and vote NO and when they have to reduce hours  they can send all the homeless, indigent folk to YOUR house to kill time-how 'bout that????
Dean View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2015 at 4:43pm
Making an issue out of a non issue. The ordinance is for chronic properties that have tenants that steal, do drugs, are loud, and corrupt. Landlords aren't doing proper background checks, or even doing background checks, so these people move into a property, and its non stop problems. Talked recently to a landlord, retired ATT sr executive from Maryland area, that had a tenant with a child, move in. Within a month, this woman, a parent, went into a big box store, and stole a 65 inch tv. It wasn't an hour that the police found her from security cameras, and spoke with her. They found out she was one of their drug informants, and did nothing but squeeze her for the bigger fish. These people are nuisances, but the decline of Middletown CREATED the problem. There is nothing a landlord will be able to control, other than a shuffle of property. Nuisance party kicked out of one property moves to a new property, and continues to be a nuisance. 

Your bigger problem is how the cty and city are sticking it to the average property owner on taxes, for those ignorant enough to own property in Middletown.  The average difference paid between Joe the Plumber on Central, and those on the best streets in Middletown is about 100,000 in true market value. Take that number and multiply by .35, the calculation for tax, and Joe the Plumber is paying about 1,000. annually less, than the orthopedic surgeon living by the golf course. They capped the high earners on the backs of the middle to lower income earners.

You got that fat library levy hitting you next in May. You folks don't get you pay 45% more for tax in Butler Cty than those in Warren. No need to worry about a nuisance law that won't effect you unless you party nightly, and troll for smiles on any section 8 holder regardless of background, just to get a monthly check. These nuisances are real. But, they are caused by a dying city attracting poor demographics. 

Just think what the future holds. In 2-3 years, the school district will be in the hole, after the majority of what, 20 votes, passed a massive building levy when student numbers are shrinking, and performance is going nowhere.

The definition of nuisance has many connotations in Middletown, and not just party animals and drug dealers. It includes mindless individuals watching Rome burn, while paying a premium for a ticket, to watch themselves be beaten in the ring by a gladiator, and thinking its worth every buck for the benefit. That is the bigger nuisance. But, everyone peeks when approaching a car wreck, or a shipwreck in progress. Even if its their fate they are watching.

Beam me up Scotty.   

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2015 at 3:51pm
Yep..as we have stated on this blog many times before....City Hall needs to clean up its own house before they make demands on the citizens.

...and they still have not finished cleaning up the dump site between the East side fence line of the Middletown Cemetery and University Blvd, that I reported 10 years ago. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic