FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another new business to coming downtown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another new business to coming downtown
    Posted: Dec 17 2015 at 11:08am
Taken from Winter Resident Newsletter on cityofmiddletown.org
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2015 at 3:11pm
Doesn't look too bad by the picture. The length of tenure at the downtown location will be determined by the quality of the product, the advertising (gonna have to remind people that you're down there often) as people are more likely to go to fast food row rather than a specialty shop downtown on any given evening for supper and most importantly, the cost and perceived value of each slice served. They will cater to a small downtown group of consumers each day for their base customer. I would imagine a large portion of the business will be reliant on the general population of the city. That would be blue-collar workers on any given evening, who like their beer, pop and a filling meal priced right for their hard-earned money. Store entertainment matching customer interests may be an advantage too. If the focus is volume to stay in business, this pizza shop will have to capture the interest of potential customers who are not interested in most of what the downtown has to offer. If not, I predict they will last less than a year downtown. JMO

I hope they are successful.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2015 at 5:30pm
Pretty much everyone likes pizza, and this plays to the current rush rush grab n go lifestyle. by the slice is more profitable, though they will need to sell a lot of slices daily. This is not a late-night area like over the Rhine, town pretty much shuts down by 9. I guess that u can never have too many pizza places. I don't go past cassanos and Stefanos though. Low area overhead will help keep them open after start up commercial kitchen costs. Should play well to the C St/MHS crowd down there. Which building?
Triple Moon seems to be the key magnet these days.
TimLewis View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TimLewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2015 at 7:04am
Just saw this yesterday. Opening at the old Damons location. Coolsoon at Old Damons.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2015 at 10:10am
Looking at the Yelp reviews for Cincy by the Slice, their Over The Rhine location appears to also be a full service bar and stays open until 2:30am. They have a location in Loveland or Moraine that only stays open until 10:00pm. I'd guess which version Middletown will get depends on whether they'll be able to get a liquor license.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2015 at 11:19am
Think the Japanese Steakhouse, outside the downtown area, will get the same love the downtown pizza business will get from the city or will the Journal and the city leaders only recognize downtown businesses as they have demonstrated in the past?

Nice to see all vacant stores in ALL areas of town being filled. Let's hope there is some longevity to this.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2015 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Pretty much everyone likes pizza, and this plays to the current rush rush grab n go lifestyle. by the slice is more profitable, though they will need to sell a lot of slices daily. This is not a late-night area like over the Rhine, town pretty much shuts down by 9. I guess that u can never have too many pizza places. I don't go past cassanos and Stefanos though. Low area overhead will help keep them open after start up commercial kitchen costs. Should play well to the C St/MHS crowd down there. Which building?
Triple Moon seems to be the key magnet these days.
1300 - old Anchor spot.  Likely infrastructure exists to support restaurant operation without huge investment.  
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2015 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by TimLewis TimLewis wrote:

Just saw this yesterday. Opening at the old Damons location. Coolsoon at Old Damons.

Saw that several weeks ago.  More options locally hopefully mean more dollars staying local.

Let's hope they address the parking lot.

There is also an ice cream/confections/candy shop opening in the shopping center next to the old Towne Athletic Club on Dixie Hwy.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2015 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Nice to see all vacant stores in ALL areas of town being filled. Let's hope there is some longevity to this.

Wow --- something we finally agree on! LOL
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2015 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Wow --- something we finally agree on! LOL

Perhaps I'm getting a little soft, more agreeable and starting to mellow out in my old age. I did turn 67 in October.......nahh
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2015 at 11:16am
Here is the link to the Middletown, Ohio News Brief about these new businesses:

http://www.cityofmiddletown.org/ednews/2015/3/page4.html

middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2015 at 9:12am
I've been seeing the sign up for that candy/sweets shop for months. Anyone know if there's a firm open date?
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2015 at 4:36pm

Posted: 2:07 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 23, 2015

Japanese steak house will open ‘soon’ in Middletown

By Rick McCrabb

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN 

A Japanese steak house restaurant chain hopes to succeed where two barbecue restaurants failed.

Taku Japanese Steak House is expected to open soon in the Park East Plaza at 4750 Roosevelt Blvd., Middletown, where Bar-B-Q Junction opened in 2007 and closed soon after and before that, Damon’s operated for numerous years. The space has been for lease since Bar-B-Q Junction closed about six years ago.

The owners of the steak house have applied for a liquor-license permit, according to the Ohio Department of Liquor, but the City of Middletown has not received any building permits or plans, officials said. From the front window, silverware and a bike are visible in the restaurant.

The sign outside the restaurant reads: “Coming Soon! Watch For Our Opening.”

There are Taku locations in Kokomo, Ind., and Columbus, Ind., according to its website. The restaurant offers a menu that includes lunch boxes at $9.95, chef specials from $7.95 to $9.95, and lunch sushi from $9.95 to $12.95, the website said.

The Indiana locations are open for lunch from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and dinner from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Friday, 2:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday and noon to 9 p.m. Sunday.

The manager of the Indiana locations was unavailable for comment.

Bar-B-Q Junction was owned and operated by former Middletown City Councilman David Schiavone, Ron Decker and Michael S. Treadway. They received a $50,000 loan from the Butler County Commission to assist them in opening the restaurant.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic