FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Comments From 12/2 Council Meeting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comments From 12/2 Council Meeting
    Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 6:43am
Truely an inventive comment from Les Landen when he said "some city positions have been readjusted/reallocated through the city's admin.restructuring". What a great example of magical talk coming from one of the best verbal magicians of all time. Les, do you mean "positions created" for people who needed to be moved or let go such as the position created for Ginger Smith? Was this "Revitalization Director" really needed or was she "readjusted" into her newly created position just to keep her around because she is considered an inner circle member? And by the way, what does a "Revitalization Director" do exactly? How about the Econ Dev "Manager"? Isn't this a new position also? Why did we suddenly need to incur the cost of that additional salary and benefits package given the lack of econ devel going on? Where did the money come from to pay for these positions Russ Carolus? You folks ought to write a book on how to deceive the public. You're pros at it. Anyone know a source where one could find the job description for this "Revitalization Director"? Wonder how much real thought went into this before it was rubber stamped? Landen says that no increase in personnel was incurred. OK, if Duristch (sp)took Smith's Public Works job, and Smith was given a new job, who's doing Duristch's former job?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 9:43am
Vet I thought the same thing when I heard Landon talk about this last night.  There actually is a Job Title of Revitalization Director, but I could not find it on Middletowns Website so i pulled this from the net from Mesa, AZ.  Seems to me if we got rid of the Section 8 housing this job would basically deal with grants:

Little Info:

Duritsch, David J. Eng. & Environmental Svc. Dir. Middletown City $92,898.00

Smith, Ginger L. Public Works Director Middletown City $73,861.80

HOUSING AND REVITALIZATION DIRECTOR

JOB DESCRIPTION

Classification Responsibilities: The Housing And Revitalization Director is responsible for the general operations of the Housing and Revitalization Division of the Neighborhood Services Department. This position performs supervisory and administrative duties necessary to successfully implement and ensure compliance for the federal Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), Emergency Shelter Grant (ESG), and Home Investment Partnership (HOME) Programs, the Office of Human Services Programs, the City’s comprehensive housing assistance program, including the management of a 101-unit affordable housing complex, the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance programs, the Family Self-Sufficiency Program, Home Ownership Under Section Eight (HOUSE) Program, other tenant-based rental assistance programs, and owner-occupied and rental property rehabilitation programs. Responsibilities include developing and implementing policies and procedures relative to programs that serve low- and moderate-income households, special needs populations, people in poverty, and that improve qualified lower income neighborhoods through revitalization activities. Additional responsibilities include developing and implementing creative approaches to meet housing needs; financial management; interacting with regional Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) officials to obtain additional program funding; and ensuring compliance with all HUD regulations, guidelines, and procedures. The Housing And Revitalization Director is also responsible for advising City management, City Council, the Housing Advisory Board, the Human Services Advisory Board, the Resident Advisory Board, the Housing Services Governing Board and/or other ad hoc citizen committees on the federal and Human Services programs and development of housing and neighborhood revitalization programs and policies; representing the City in the planning and implementation of local and regional policies and programs; acting on behalf of the City as a participating member of the Maricopa HOME Consortium; implementing Housing and Neighborhood Revitalization community forums, and acting as a liaison for the City to nonprofit service providers, housing developers, other housing agency directors, community leaders, and the general public. This class performs related duties as required.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 10:39am
Thank you for the info. sir. Now, after reading the overview of what the Maricopa County Rehab. Director does, and knowing that Ms. Smith came from the Public Works Dept as a Director, what experience and qualifications does she possess that allowed her to be "hired" for this position? Does she have previous experience in managing programs for low cost/income housing? Is she well versed on all of the grants/programs offered by the Federal and State governments? Since Section 8 is such a hot item and a priority for the city, will she be able to hit the ground running to be able to function in all capacities in this job so that the city can benefit immediately? Since we are the Section 8 capital of Ohio( thanks Council!), what gave Ms. Gilleland (and others) the warm feeling to put her in this important role for the city?
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 4:21pm
I may be getting bogged down with how you say it, but this is an interestng quote,

"magical talk coming from one of the best verbal magicians of all time"
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 4:40pm
Housing And Revitalization Director...
I thought CDBG and all these other grants and programs were under Mr. Kohler's office. The last time I talked with the City I was told they needed a grant writer. Did the City hire a grant writer to research and write grants for all of these programs also?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 6:25pm
Vivian that Job description above came from Mesa AZ.  I was just using it as an example of what Smiths new job may entail, as there is no listing on the Middletown Website that I could find.

I am surprised that no one has asked why/how a Public Works Director making $71k all of a sudden gets moved to another Dept. head position and someone making $93K take her place......hmmmmm.  Is Duritsch doing double duty with his old title or what?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 6:28pm
Hey Jonathan both Landon and Mills have magical tongues especially when it comes to  Landon getting Council to go along with Raises for the Unionized workers and Mills when it comes to smooth talking the Health Care benefits, such a sweet deal the employees have for Health Care.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 7:10pm
Pacman, it seems that they have taken parts of several different departments and made the new department of Housing And Revitalization Director. It is my understanding that Smith will now be over several items that were once part of Duritsch's department. I believe the above job description is just about right. I would like more information about the Revitalization plan of this new department.
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 9:26am
What about job cuts? Why are there no downsizing...

I mean right-sizing initiatives. Middletown ought to cut across the board by 10%. That would show me they are serious about keeping the city solvent.

Otherwise it could get financially painful around here.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 10:13am
You are correct Jonathan on the downsizing. I have been asking the question for some time as to when we will receive some info from Ms. Gilleland on the reductions at city hall. To date, if I'm correct, we have not seen any indication that the city manager has made any recommendations on which positions will be cut. We have evidence that there has been some positions created (Revitalization Director),some additional hiring ( Econ Dev. Manager) and no indication on who is doing the Engineering job vacated by Duristch, but no positions eliminated and no employees downsized. Secrecy again at city hall. Imagine that.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 11:18am
Has anyone else noted all of the re-classifications, as well as a recent upgrade of the pay step chart???

They can technically say that no one has gotten a "raise" in a long while, but I'll bet that most have been re-classified, or otherwise received an increase by moving to another pay grade. 

Bottom line??  Perhaps no one has technically gotten a "raise", but is there ANYONE left who is making the exact same hourly (or weekly, or bi-weekly, or monthly, or whatever) rate as they were making at the time of their last "raise"???
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 5:28pm

Hey Mike...isn't that called the old shell and pea game?

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2008 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Hey Mike...isn't that called the old shell and pea game?
You are exactly right!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic