FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mort and Ashworth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mort and Ashworth
    Posted: Dec 19 2008 at 7:20am
Journal article today- Mort and Ashworth want to involve the community in programs that will "revitalize" the city in light of the Forbes article. They suggest cleaning up neighborhoods, making the town "less trashy looking". No doubt important but also very cosmetic and again, AS USUAL, doesn't address the REAL problem with the city- POOR LEADERSHIP, NOT WILLING TO CHANGE FAILED WAYS OF OPERATION-NO POSITIVE DIRECTION- NON PROGRESSIVE THINKING- INABILITY TO ATTACK REAL PROBLEMS- INABILITY TO MAKE LOGICAL "GET THINGS DONE" DECISIONS. No, what Mort and Ashworth should be suggesting would hurt their old cronies and incriminate themselves- ie- elimination of the very group that they hold so dear should occur with that group being replaced by new people with no hidden agendas, no ties to the current group and a passion to see the city change for the better. The fact that Mort and Ashworth made the kind of suggestions that they made demonstrate that they are like the rest of the current crowd in control who have no clue as to what this town actually needs to prosper. They can't focus on the important matters, but choose to concentrate on the fluff. Here, we have some contributing problems trying to suggest methods of fixing the problems. How ironic!   
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2008 at 10:05am
I think this town needs allot of things including what Ann and Sam are doing.

Its not the one thing its everything. Often times we are all right rather than all wrong.

Most importantly, its what you do that counts. Not just the words you speak.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2008 at 10:21am
Vet:
I wonder if they plan on PUBLIC FUNDS being involved in this effort?

If so,  perhaps the phrase "Follow the money" would be appropriate.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2008 at 11:37am
come on Vet and Mike---
These two people are well-intentioned and constantly involved in constructive efforts and trying to portray the community in a positive light.
They are NOT POLITICAL  or MUNICIPAL OFFICE HOLDERS.

I commend their latest effort and plan on becoming a part of what they are doing.
I would hope the both of you and many others here would do the same.
This involvement is a no-brainer, and if you love your community as much as you say, you should WANT to be involved.

We must all unite to change this community.
Put away your distrust of Council/Admin, quit whining about how things have changed over time, and concentrate on fixing whatever things play to your strengths and capabilities.
This has nothing to do with Section 8, red light cameras,bottled water, choke plants, etc.

These same two individuals were behind the Good News magazine we had for a long while.
This is apolitical, and a wonderful opportunity to band together with some that you may not have a great deal in common(or so you think!).

Vet--your rant has run it's course and really doesn't need repeated constantly in every post on every forum(though that is absolutely your option). Your posting hasn't changed anything with the city so far, and this new approach could go a long way towards future involvement in local decision making.

jmo
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2008 at 11:49am
Funny I made this suggestion of cleaning up the city at a library meeting and was told ....gee what can we do?  By certain persons of the City.  Guess I need a name change.........hehehehehee.LOL  Just call me PacMort from now on. Big%20smile
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2008 at 2:47pm
Spider- thank you for the critic. Once again I have fallen off the wagon. I apologize for offering my opinions that seem to offend you. You're correct! I do rant about the same old things in a consistent fashion. That's because it's the same old problems with the same old approach/suggestions/nonsense by the same old city leaders with the same old attitudes. When they change the situation, I'll change the dialog.NOT POLITICAL?NOT OFFICEHOLDERS?- They don't have to be political or officeholders to shout the message of the city leaders. Don't know too much about Ashworth, but Mort seems to echo the messages served out by the city leaders. She's the PR rep for them, is she not? I said before that what Mort and Ashworth are proposing are ok, AND I also said that it doesn't make a dent in what is really wrong with the town. What they are proposing can come later after the real problems are fixed, Spider. I agree, we all need to be involved but we also need to prioritize what comes first in importance to revitalizing the city. Your posts waffle alot, Spider. First you post how bad something is in town, then you post a "cheerleader- Rah-rah" post like this one. Which side of the fence do you really sit on? Distrust of Council/Admin?- You've got to be kidding! Even you post on these topics! Ain't this the pot calling the kettle black? The "Good News" magazine?- And pray tell, what monumental feat was accomplished by this publication as to the revitalization of the city? What was the readership and circulation of this magazine? Lastly, yes,you're right again!- this doesn't have anything to do with Section 8, red light cameras, choke plants, etc. That's the problem. They're suggesting "detrashing" the town and not talking about more important matters at this time like Section 8, the choke plant, red light cameras, new jobs, condition of the streets/infrastructure,city cooperation with the neighbors,lack of business opportunities, etc. It would appear that we have some major differences in opinion as to approach in "revitalization"!
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2008 at 4:06pm
OK Vet--I do waffle on some issues, as I occasionally change my mind.
I don't always get it right at first impression, or can be lacking important details.
You call it "waffling", I call it being "flexible and open".

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2008 at 7:47am
Take a DEEP breath, Spiderjohn!!
Let's look at some of what you are saying.

Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

come on Vet and Mike---
These two people are well-intentioned and constantly involved in constructive efforts and trying to portray the community in a positive light.
Spider, I did NOT address the preceding issue, and am reluctant to do so in this forum--regardless of my personal opinion on the matter!!  My comments STRICTLY were directed to the use of PUBLIC funds.  Are you saying that there should NOT be scrutiny of the use of public funds???  In MY OPINION, there can NEVER be TOO MUCH scrutiny whenever PUBLIC FUNDS are used for ANYTHING!!
If you disagree on that point, we will just have to disagree.

They are NOT POLITICAL  or MUNICIPAL OFFICE HOLDERS.
Actually, Mr. Ashworth IS a politically appointed public office holder!!!  He is Chairman of the powerful "COUNCIL ON LANDMARKS AND HISTORIC DISTRICTS."  This council, unbeknownst to anyone but a few city building officials, and members of this council itself, can at and of its own power stop the issuance of ANY otherwise legal and proper demolition or building permit in the City of Middletown.  The only recourse to the private property ownner/applicant is a LOOOONG, drawn-out and expensive  "appeal process".  This applies not only to permits for property IN the so-called "historic districts" but for ANY property in the city (including cell towers in the east end--what is "historic" about those???)!!! 
And you won't find anything about this council in the City Charter nor in the section of the Codified City Ordinances that deal with ALL of the other boards and commissions!!!  You have to plow DEEP into the bowels of same (somewhere around page 900) to find it! 
(But be careful!!! They can begin action to designate YOUR private property a "historic landmark' withOUT your knowledge and finalize it OVER your objection, so don't upset them!)

I commend their latest effort and plan on becoming a part of what they are doing.
I would hope the both of you and many others here would do the same.
Gimme a break, Spider!  Due to physical limitations, I have to pay to keep MY own property presentable.  Besides, how do you know WHAT their "plan" is???  As long as it is done with PRIVATE funds, I am all for it!  BUT, if there is one dime of public money, we must ask if it  is MORE IMPORTANT than infrastructure, safety, or similar more pressing needs, and if it is being spent wisely.

This involvement is a no-brainer, and if you love your community as much as you say, you should WANT to be involved.
Yes, I do want to be involved, I have been involved, and I shall continue to be inolved, REGARDLESS of how much seems to be inadvertantly (or not) "hidden" from the people. 

We must all unite to change this community.
Put away your distrust of Council/Admin, quit whining about how things have changed over time, and concentrate on fixing whatever things play to your strengths and capabilities.
Lecture those in power about unity, THEY are the ones preventing it.  Lecture them about CONFLICTS OF INTEREST, real or perceived, and explain to THEM how THAT is a roadblock to unity.

Oh, and YES, I DO agree with you on one point, but watching out for the judicious use of public funds, finding money that has been "filtered" through a maze of organizations (and then claimed NOT to be "public money"), and the like IS my strength and capability.

These same two individuals were behind the Good News magazine we had for a long while.
Was there PUBLIC MONEY involved in that venture???  I can't recall.  But constantly trying to convince everyone that "everything is wonderful" is one of the things that makes problems DIFFICULT to solve!!!  It tends to keep problems de-emphasized until they reach crisis proportions!!!

This is apolitical, and a wonderful opportunity to band together with some that you may not have a great deal in common(or so you think!).
Please recall the very first telephone conversation you and I ever had.  Next, remember that we do NOT know where, or by what means, this "opportunity" is headed. 

Then remember: There will be NO JOY in being named "the cleanest and prettiest of the top ten DYING cities!"
Would you rather be dirty and tired with a fat paycheck...or natty and neat with empty pockets???  I've been both, and I know my preference!

This has nothing to do with Section 8, red light cameras,bottled water, choke plants, etc.

PS:  I was involved in the last half dozen or so (by-products recovery type) built or re-built in the USA, and speaking of things getting "tiresome", could you stop with the "choke" plant, please.  Just consider all of the things (ANYTHING containing steel) that we would NOT have without metalurgical grade COKE.

Of course, all of the foregoing is just my personal opinion!!!
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2008 at 10:30am
OK OK Mike
NO PUBLIC FUNDS
I don't believe there was any mention of such(which means ??).Don't think the magazine was publicly funded, though Vet could make centerfolds out of the old timey stuff from there(just a sarcastic joke!).

Sam Ashworth is a calm, nice level-headed guy as I know him. Have never looked at him as a power baron, and would expect a fair common sense no strings decision from him on any matter.

Mrs.Mort came off very well on Channel 9 News with Deb Silverman. Noting partial and not overly defensive of the Forbes article. Stated that locals were saddened and disappointed with the media attention(no excuses), and plans were to band together towards improving the area by little bits and in every aspect available.

Hard to argue or discredit the approach.

Once again:
NO PUBLIC FUNDS
Do we have any available?

I am finishing my federal bailout application for my "challenged" business operations.
Gotta strike while the vault doors are open to all comers.
A billion should set me up for a while

How much would it cost to buy the whole town?
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2008 at 6:17am
Mike, dig a little deeper and you will find more...
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2008 at 6:57am
Of all of the items that the Journal could have written about in an article about this issue.  Decrease the numner of residuents below Poverty Level, Increase Educational Standing, Increase aveage Income in Middletown, we get this:

"Yet Samuel Kelly, Jr., senior pastor of The Light Ministries, scoffed at the plan's goal of inviting Forbes to the city in late 2009 to view the results of community efforts."

"Just 'cause you've made Forbes think well of you, has that really made people's lives better? No," Kelly said. "I want to see more home ownership for black folks, more home ownership for poor folks and then I'll start to say 'They really are trying to change things in Middletown."

Can someone tell me when the City got into the Mortgage business and isn't a major part of the reason the economy is in the tank, due to sub-prime mortgages?  Please someone enlighten me, the Journal and Kelly.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2009 at 6:36am
Mike- Ms. Mort said that if you came to this meeting asking for money or to complain, you're out of luck. They have no money to fund these projects. She said if you want to tackle painting the fire hydrants, for example, you need to contact the city before you start and if ok, go out and buy your paint and start painting. Looks like if one wants to start a project or contribute to an existing one, the cost for the supplies will be out of their own pocket. No city money will be used according to info. given last night.She also said they have 123 projects on the list so contact her first before you start,to see if there is duplication of projects.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2009 at 7:37am
Vet, That is why Middletown looks the way it does. 
The City tells us they don't have the manpower to clean up an area.
Then the City ask you to volunteer your labor to help clean up an area such as a park...and then they want you to buy the paint for the picnic tables.
Why don't the budgets for the PARKS include enough money for a few gallons of paint or material needed?
In a real business..LABOR is always the greatest cost.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2009 at 10:44am
Perhaps the city(on behalf of Middletown Pride) can ask Lowe's , Meiers , Sears or other stores to donate some paint in exchange for a city tax writeoff or some free publicity. Wonder if the city folks have even tried that approach??? Mr. Wood, you're on the Park Board. Do you know how they handle the budget for building materials and paint for the parks?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2009 at 12:01pm
Vet...they do get donations to cover the supplies. My question is, if the volunteers do the labor why can't the City supply the materials?...not for just parks but all of these projects?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2009 at 12:09pm
Isn't the city, through the park department, supplying the paint for the NAACP to paint the Community Center?  What is the difference between that and, say, painting fire hydrants?
2000+ View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2009 at 9:21am
According to Councilwoman Scott, the paint for the Community Center is being donated by Sherman Williams and private funds.

Oh and V V.... Who has made Mort & Ashworth the clearing house for all fix-up efforts in the city? There are dozens of projects underway that don't need or want her help, not to mention telling people how to do it and then take it and make it her accomplishment.

This stuff comes right from the managers office through her roomate ie. best friend and business partner Ashworth. A press release from the managers office will get you on the front page with out any accomplishment. Amazing.

And my favotite touch at the "Pride" meeting were the "Forbes" magazine  fridge magnet
type things with the Mayor on the cover!!! Same old Middletown and the same old people.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2009 at 2:32pm
2000+   At the risk of being criticized by other members of our illustrious forum, I will offer these comments. IMO, Mort is allowed to organize these events with the city's blessing, and is given maximum exposure in the Journal for anything she wants to tackle because she is a member of the inner circle of influential citizens and, as such, given preferential treatment. Her request to funnel any and all projects through her Pride group is testimony of her controlling nature she has adopted. Her actions suggests that she has controlling interest in the idea department for this city. This is a perfect example of the attitudes I believe to be prevalent throughout the city leadership. It's a "my way or the highway" management philosophy and turns some people off as to cooperation. She ( and other leaders) want to know why people don't want to cooperate? Perhaps it's because THEY don't care what you have to say, just do what WE want. We'll do the thinking- YOU do the "doin'" WHAT she is trying to do is to her credit. HER APPROACH may be in question. The Lawrence Mulligan picture on the Forbes magazine idea was clever. Mr. Ashworth seems to be a creative soul and seems very congenial.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2009 at 3:36pm
can't disagree with anything u said, vet
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2009 at 5:00pm
2000+  I don't know the answer to that question. I would like to see all the community groups that do all the labor get THEIR photo on the front page of the Middletown Journal.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2009 at 8:16am
One might think that with an extra $120K sitting around, the CVB could spring for a few gallons of paint.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
scrapmonkey View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrapmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2009 at 10:22am

It's hard to believe that it took Forbes listing to bring attention to the fact that Middletown is slowly fading into the history pages. The plight of Middeltown has been known to some for several years or even decades,but others absolutely refuse to accept this fact. You have to face the present in reality in order to make changes for the better and the future. Middletown is a has-been. It's glory days are over and have been for some time now. The steel mill no longer backs the city unless there is something big in it for them. That mill is what made Middletown. Now all of a sudden no more mill backing & the council as well as citizens are left to stumble around in the dark. A certain handful of "influential people" are still trying to run the show as if this was the hayday,it's not. And no one knows what to do.

scrapmonkey

"Civilization begins with order,grows with liberty,and dies with chaos"~Will Duran
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic