FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Downtown Facades/Police Cruisers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Downtown Facades/Police Cruisers
    Posted: Dec 22 2008 at 7:58am
Council will offer "forgivable loans" for downtown merchants for improvements for their businesses. Good idea to encourage improvements and to stimulate downtown activity. Question- where does the money come from for these business loans? Is taxpayer money used? If so, how does the taxpayer benefit? Cruisers- 9 new ones to be purchased- one was totaled, the other eight have gone beyond the "disposal criteria". Questions- how many quotes did the city get before deciding on the Van Wert dealership? By historical data, does the Ford cruiser give the best service or could a GM or Chrysler product be more cost effective as to wear/tear, service, etc.Other towns have gone to an "economy" scaled down version of the full sized cruiser. Has this been considered? Has the "disposal criteria" been reviewed and perhaps amended to extend the life of the cruisers a year or two longer? These are lean times for all and we're all trying to get more "mileage" out of what we own. Article doesn't say what the criteria is based upon or if other dealers were approached. New chassis for an ambulance- Strayer said, in the Dec 16th Council meeting that the city wants to sell the old lightbar and chassis to another entity. If they can be sold they must still be good. If still good, why sell them and spend another $60,000 placing the old module on a newer chassis? The only game in town on this one is also located in Van Wert. That's odd. Does someone in Middletown have an exclusive buddy in Van Wert or are there other similar businesses in other towns that could be examined? Just asking.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2008 at 5:13pm

Funding Availability
The Planning Department has budgeted Urban Development Action Grant money for the
Façade Improvement Program. Should funding for the Program be reduced any time in
the future, the City of Middletown reserves the right to discontinue or modify funding for this program.

http://www.ci.middletown.oh.us/docs/ed/Facade%20Improvement%20Program.pdf

MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2008 at 6:34pm
So do you guys peruse the city web site every day for this stuff? If they don't go out and make this offer to the local small/large businesses, it will fail. The City reserves the right to discontinue or modify.......that's what I'm talking about.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2008 at 6:57pm
Why limit this just to the downtown businesses?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2008 at 10:45am
Originally posted by MadisonMom MadisonMom wrote:

If they don't go out and make this offer to the local small/large businesses, it will fail.
MM:
Well, first, it is NOT Marty Kohler's money!!!  Why should HE have the right to dictate the decor of YOUR private property???

Second, why does Middletown City Hall keep insisting on spending OUR money on making things OLD???  Why not MODERNIZE??? 

Third, if some group or other has a fantasy of re-enacting the 1800s, why should the rest of us be made to subsidize it??  Should the rest of us expect public funds be made available for us to remodel our private property to suit our fantasies???

Lastly, (and ignoring the recent bad examples set by our federal government) it is NOT the purpose of government to use public money to subsidize undercapitalized private enterprises, or to shore up poor business plans.  If a business is failing, it is more likely that the government is TAKING too much of THEIR money--not because the government is not GIVING it enough of OURS!!
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2008 at 2:18pm
Good Points Mike_Presta but it would appear to me that after the last election that that majority of Ohio citizens, like the rest of the country, are ok with the "Spread the Wealth" concept.

Lets not forget or discount this statement from long ago:

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations has been 200 years." Alexander Fraser Tytler (1747–1813).
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2008 at 2:22pm
to MPresta

I understand the first comment.
Not sure what your second comment means. Isn't fixing up the old---modernizing?   
Third, not sure what that means. Who mentioned the 1800s?

To VietViet......This grant has been available for a long time. Why are you posting about i now?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2008 at 3:37pm
Because council has decided to make it easier to get the money by ot requiring a Mortgage on the first $5000.00.

It is time to look past the OLD Downtown and move on to the 21st Century.  The OLD Downton was...now we need to move ahead and enough of trying to fool ourselves that what was is coming back...because it ain't.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2008 at 8:11pm
Madison Mom- I'm posting about it now because it was a recent Journal story and the subject was revitalized by them. Apparently, there have been few takers. I realize that the city loans to businesses, for the purpose of remodeling, was developed some time ago. Since the program was available all this time, I'm just surprised to see it in the news again, that's all.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2008 at 9:31pm
I'm surprised I missed that article VietVet.
Thanks for the e-mail link PacMan.
Actually I believe my hubby had already checked that out. We don't own the building we're in. We're looking to move. With the economy, we are very wary right now. We like the downtown and want to stay here if we can.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2008 at 6:01am
ARWendt:
I have not forgotten such statements from long ago, and cannot forget them.  They make me afraid--very afraid--and America's 200 years appears to have elapsed.  People do not seem to understand what all of the recent "bailouts" really mean.  We are writing checks that cannot be cashed.  Most people cannot conceptualize a "billion", let alone a "trillion" and they certainly do not seem to understand that "the government" is US!!!  The government has NO MONEY unless they first confiscate it from their very own citizens!!!  Believe it or not, we ("we" as in the all of the citizens of the USA) now owe MORE than we are worth!!!  If we liquidated EVERYTHING, we could NOT pay off all of the public and private debt that we owe!!! 

In other words, there is no further wealth left to spread!!!  We have squandered it all on things that we could not afford.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2008 at 6:19am
Originally posted by MadisonMom MadisonMom wrote:

to MPresta

I understand the first comment.
Not sure what your second comment means. Isn't fixing up the old---modernizing?   
Third, not sure what that means. Who mentioned the 1800s?

MM:
Sorry, ma'am, but in the context being used within the regulations mandated by Middletown City Hall, "fixing up" is NOT "modernizing"!!!  What they mean by "fixing up" is to "make it like new, BUT (there's always a "but" isn't there?) to make it like new back when it actually WAS new!!!"  If your building was a Ford Model T, "fixing it up" does NOT mean adding an electric starter and air conditioner, and perhaps a modern, OHC engine.  It means RESTORING it to a condition as it was when it rolled off the assembly line, but you'll still have to crank-start, and the top speed will still be very low.  They want you to DE-modernize it, as there is a segment in this town that thinks it is "fun" to dress in period garb, play olde tyme baseball, and act like they are the aristocrats from the gilded age.

I say: MORE POWER TO THEM, up to the point where they want OTHERS to PAY for it!!!  You see, for some reason, they think that they actually ARE the "aristocrats" and that we peons (all of the rest of us) OWE it to them to give them what they want!!!
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2008 at 6:18pm
This thread is too depressing for today.

: (
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic