FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nagy speaks but does Council listen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nagy speaks but does Council listen
    Posted: Jan 08 2009 at 8:35pm

Paul Nagy: A plan for city's revival

By Paul Nagy

Friday, January 09, 2009

Here is a plan to turn Middletown around. It will work if we will work it. I'll lay it out step by step and then make some observations.

• Cut 20 percent from our general fund budget for 2009. That would be $6 million. Our general fund budget is $29 million to $32 million, depending on how the figures come in for the last quarter of 2008. Put the $6 million in the budget under "Middletown Emergency Turn-Around Fund."

• Give our economic development department $2.2 million — $200,000 of which they should use for operations and creating the proper environment to bring businesses to town.

The additional $2 million they should give to CBL ( the owners of the Towne Mall) when they have a written contract that CBL will empty the mall of its remaining tenants and agree to turn the mall into "The Ohio Research Center" (or some such designation).

They should then take that written agreement and go — hand in hand — with CBL, Miami University, Sen. Gary Cates and other representatives to Gov. Ted Strickland and tell him: Here is Middletown's commitment to bring the research and development he wants in education, energy, bio-tech, environment, infrastructure, high-tech and housing to Ohio.

These are also the issues that President Barack Obama is committed to move on when he takes office. That puts Middletown in the 21st century and in the forefront of Ohio's future development. We should ask the governor and the president for specific funding and assistance in bringing research and development companies to Middletown. It should be proposed that the products developed by the research and development companies be produced here in Middletown. This all would be on the east end and on Interstate 75. It would provide many jobs for Middletown.

• Put $2 million into the Middletown "Multi-income Housing Fund." That will be the seed money to develop a multi-income housing development downtown of 500 to 600 units, such as the East Lake housing development in Atlanta that is so incredibly successful and which I and others have been proposing for three years.

It is about a $125 million project. Along with this, start a special charter school for children from low-income families. There are developers and financial investors interested in coming to Middletown to do this. This would bring our Section 8 problem under control, reduce crime, tear down some of our dilapidated buildings and old housing projects, and bring 500 to 600 families to patronize downtown businesses. Downtown doesn't need any more money. It needs people. People spend money. It would provide many jobs for Middletown.

• Establish a $400,000 special fund to be shared by Miami University and our school board to develop a special program guaranteed to get our youngsters' grade scores up to the best levels immediately. If they don't know how to do this, then they should cut out one third of administrators and their salaries, and put that money toward more principals and teachers and contact the Drew School at East Lake in Atlanta and find out how they have made their children's scores the highest in the state of Georgia.

• Add $400,000 to our HUD money for removing blighted buildings and turning the properties into green areas downtown and pretty-up the city to attract investors. Insist that the money be used only for this purpose and fire the council, city manager and the planning commission if they don't do it and attempt to divert the money to other places, as they often do.

• Use the final $1 million for the resulting projects that come from the efforts of Sam Ashworth and Ann Mort. Their plan is positive and everyone should encourage it.

All of this will also make us strong county players. There are those who will say this plan won't work. They are negative and lack courage. They will say it's impossible. Yet, it is done every day in cities all over the United States and around the world.

Napoleon said, "Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." This is the time to do it. We must act quickly while we have the opportunity. Obama and Strickland are going to make changes in priorities. We must move now.

There are those who will attempt to prevent moving forward because they want to continue to control power and the taxpayers' money for their own interests and special projects. It is time for change and they must be stopped.

These are serious times and not the time for those whose consciences are not burdened with the plight of all of the people.

All of us must call council members, e-mail them, speak up at council meetings, attend other meetings and bring about change. It doesn't matter who gets the credit. Change the plan if you have a better idea.

Aren't you tired of no businesses, no jobs, no road paving, poor government, declining property values, a negative reputation and Forbes saying our city is dying? Others say our city is dead. Many of us have believed in resurrection most of our lives. Why shouldn't we believe in it now? We can have a vibrant city again and as strong an appearance on I-75 as West Chester Twp. Let's do it. Get off of your apathy and make it happen now.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 6:40am
Pacman and Mr. Nagy- there are some of us that have been suggesting technical jobs in research and development for this town for many years. Research in fiber optics for communication, research in nano technology which is used in many applications, research in the automotive industry for more light weight composites. Why not plastic research, metals, defense suppliers, corporate research for companies like P&G, General Electric,etc. Middletown doesn't have the educated workforce that would be required but we are between two cities that would provide that need and the commuting distance from either is not that cumbersome. Never know, those people commuting may decide not to drive and buy a few of the many houses for sale in town. Mr. Nagy is correct. Now is the time to ask for a share of the money. Only a fool would bypass this opportunity. Perhaps we have that collection of fools running this city???          Many good ideas in this article. One thing must happen before any of this can be talked about and implemented. We must remove the opposition from open discussion of these items. We must remove the people that would prevent this from happening. We must remove the current group running the city and certain members within the city administration.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 7:05am
 a nice vision in a vacuum.
Much to like here.
Doubt the $$ part will fly, as there is no detail on how the $6 mill gets cut, but then freely spent elsewhere.
A beginning for some sort of change and discussion.
Forget the $2 mill for CBL--not our issue to control or dictate
Don't like the expanded low-income housing ideas for downtown.
Won't that attract more burdensome residents to a town already overwhelmed with such?

It is just so easy to cut and spend other people's $$ that may or may not exist.
Too many priorities left out, and no guarantees/safegaurds insuring results.

Not that I am negative or lack courage.
Not that I want poweer or to control anyone's $$
Not that I would be intiidated by Mr.Nagy's rhetoric.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 7:08am
Spider I agree much of it may not fly, but I tell you what, it is at least a vision looking forward and not one stuck in Neutal or going in reverse as we have now. 
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 10:44am
I like this:
Cut 20 percent from our general fund budget for 2009. That would be $6 million. Our general fund budget is $29 million to $32 million, depending on how the figures come in for the last quarter of 2008.

But not this: Put the $6 million in the budget under "Middletown Emergency Turn-Around Fund."
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 11:28am

Hmmmmm take 20% of the General Fund that leaves you Public Safety only and the rest have to go................Confused

Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 6:00am
Spiderjohn,
         Thanks for your reply. I wish we could get many more to discuss it. You picked up on the most important theme of it all when you wrote, "A beginning for some sort of change and discussion". I assume that you and others understand that you cannot deal with all of the many details in one article. You make a lot of suppositions in your questions and comments. I'll do my best to respond in order to further the discussion.

You wrote, "Doubt the $$ part will fly, as there is no detail on how the 6 $mill gets cut, but then freely spent elsewhere". I propose an across-the board cut OR grants, going to the same place the mayors across the country are going, anyplace else we can to find the money. You can't have a city revitalization of this magnitude without money. Nothing should be freely spent as our city administration always does. It should all be designated to various parts of the project as the project is developed.

You wrote, "Don't like the expanded low-income housing ideas for downtown". It is not expanded. It is reduced. The plan would be to build new and remove the old projects. The plan also has the excellent feature of training those on Section 8 to get into a work program to get off of Section 8 in a 24 to 36 month period.

You wrote, "Its just so easy to cut and spend other people's $$ that may or may not exist. Too many priorities left out, and no guarantees/safeguards insuring results". First of all, its not other people's money. It our tax money. Its not easy, its very difficult. If you or anyone else thinks its easy you are misguided. Priorities are better than the cities current priorities and the main priorities are to bring new industry, businesses and jobs. Are those primary priorities? The guarantees/safeguards must be build into the project as the project is developed.

You wrote, "Not that I am negative or lack courage. Not that I want power or to control anyones$$. Not that I would be intimidated by Mr. Nagy's rhetoric. Well, you are and have been cautiously negative. You never have lacked courage. You don't want to control power or money but there are those who obviously do. You take the low ground about being intimidated by my rhetoric. I'm not interested in intimidatng anyone. I'm simply tring to bring change. Anything wrong with that? I've listened to you speak your convictions publicly a number of times. Were you trying to intimidate with your rhetoric? This idea bores me. You have been one of the best examples about changing with the circumstances that I know of as you have so very well demonstrated with your business that has brought many jobs to the community for decades. We are in critical times that call for critical change. Please help to make it. What is your plan? Let's do it. Thank you
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 9:38am

ok Mr.Nagy--since you have chosen to respond to my post directly:

I need to give you more credit for your recent efforts and this plan for change.
I see nothing of consequence coming from Council,city admin, the Paducah venture, downtown organizations or the local Chamber of Commerce. So your issues move up in consideration.

A 20%-25% cut in the municipal budget is beyond HUGE. It is hardly feasible, and must be broken down accurately to determine both possibility and effectiveness. Municipalities across the nation are doing just this(mostly to a lesser %), and our admin seems stuck within the fantasy where they can hold the course on manpower.responsibilities, benefit costs and operational expenses. The current illusion about a signage ordinance greatly impacting our city's outsider perception and business viability is laughable. Even-handed enforcement has never been implemented. Maybe the city can start regulating the LARGEST business entities FIRST for a change(beginning in the far east end initially). The after-the-act variances granted to the Atrium for their out of code structures built without proper permits and inspections speak loudly to the inequitable enforcement/preferences coming from both the Planning Dept.(the infamous Marty Koehler) and Planning Commission is a GLARING example of improper favoritism.

As for low-income housing along the riverfront, I would prefer nicer mid-level starter families and empty nest complexes, catering to professionals hopefully buying into the downtown area eventual resergence and area growth as niche marketing of specialty shops, artistic concerns, restaurants and entertainment(all of which is lacking in the rest of the community). Removing people from Section 8 seems to be a tough project in any time frame. Actually, more seem to be applying to ADD to those programs. In my opinion, those programs need to be capped immediately, and direction to CONSOC should be for REDUCTION.

With the confusion and denial by Council/admin on that past direction and operational relationship with CONSOC, it is apparent that those responsible for past direction must be removed from any related decision-making, and a thorough investigation should be done concerning CDBG grant funding to determine whether a dispropriate % of funding has been diverted from street repairs and home repairs in disadvantaged areas of our community. 

Obviously, I DON'T see the appropriations of tax $$ as easy at all. Yes--it is OUR tax $$ to a degree, and many other options and ideas must be brought into the mix to determine a final direction. I read very little in your proposal about new jobs, protection of existing jobs, or economic development in general. And nothing mentioned about guarantees/safeguards that you mention above. My type of thinking prioritizes those concerns highly, which red flags your overall proposal.

As for ME taking the "low ground" when responding to your rhetoric:
Those are my honest feelings responding to YOUR quotes.
I saw your choice of direction as un-necessary and demeaning to anyone not buying in to your approach. You are becoming what you resent, by again drawing a divisionary line in the sand--pick your side, one or the other--you can't work with both, and both can't work together.

There must be a proper constructive mix between Council, Admin, the Ashworth/Mort group(amazingly similar to Council and Admin). Barriers must be broken down immediately, and a new level of trust and team-building must be established. Until this is accomplished, very little can be done by any fragmented segment of our community. YOU have been very divisive and self-centered at times, and that has been your biggest issue establishing a positive relationship with local govt. I say this because I respect you, like you are very much. and  apperciat your continued,caring involvement in our community. I will be there to back you, help you and defend you when I see it as appropriate, just as I will do so for any other entity of our community.

My plan? lol
I am stepping back from direct involvement with most aspects of local govt./admin, simply because "they" don't really want any more of my opinions, and don't want my involvement on local boards and committees. I stll hold two municipal board positions for at least one more year. My plan is to protect my small business concerns, my co-workers and my family. I plan on ramping up support for existing local businesses, and showing my selective community support by example. Those in authority positions know how to reach me whenever they want my thoughts or services. I am extremely hopeful that new competent faces will step up for the Council ward and school board elections, as "staying the course--business as always" can no longer be a realistic option.

too much typing for da spiderman, and
jmos
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 11:46am
Spiderjohn,
      Wow. I wish I had written that. I couldn't agree with you more.  Thank you.
                     Paul Nagy
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 11:58am
This discussion is very informative and encouraging. I appreciate both the Spider's
thoughts/ideas AND Mr. Nagy's. I would like to see how both of these gentlemen operate behind that Council desk after the next election! I would like to hear this type of dialog/debate come from Council and the School Board. Gentlemen- please consider running to replace the current members in 09!     For the city to place a totally competent/ intelligent Council behind that desk, I'd like to see Mr. Presta and the Pacman run also. They are very intelligent, have a handle on the real problems and would do a great job as Council members or on the School Board. Please consider it gentlemen.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 12:35pm

Mr. Nagy

I would like to respond to parts of your post.

Section 2 Economic Development - The City needs to hire a professional grant writer to apply for all the millions of dollars in State and Federal funds that are available. Then the City needs to have an open discussion on what, how and where these funds will be spent. All areas of the City should benefit from these grants.

Section 3 Multi-income Housing Fund & Downtown - I agree with Spider, the river front property should be used for single & middle income housing.
The Section 8 Housing in our community needs to be cut a percentage each year until it is in balance with the population.
All low income agencies and services should be located in the downtown area so easy transportation is available to these families.
The Free Clinic needs to be enlarged and or moved. Hours of operation need to increase to 7 days a week so low income families do not need to go to the emergency room for simple medical treatment and or medication.
All downtown property owners need to come together and agree on a 5 year plan to rent their buildings for a percentage of the business profits. It has worked in other communities I see no reason why it wouldn’t work in Middletown. This would give the business time to get established and all the other spaces around them to be occupied. Without this agreement I do not believe the downtown area will suceed and grow.

Section 4 Chater Schools & Better Test Scores – I believe we have what we need to educate the children of our community. Why do you think we need a special school to educate low income students? We have a million dollar program in place now called HEAD START that is NOT WORKING. They are not getting these children ready to enter the school system. Why spend millions of dollars on another program when we can simply fix the one we already have that is so badly broken? What we need is to educate the parents so THEY can educate their children and have them ready to learn when they do start school. What we need is for the parents to be involved in their childrens education and teach them their ABC’s and numbers before they start school. What we need is for the parents to take their children to the library and get books and not movies. Parents need to show children the world of books by reading to them when they are young. What we need is for the children to get enough sleep every night and come to school every day. All of the above WILL INCREASE TEST SCORE within one year.

Section 5 Blighted Buildings – I believe we have programs in place for this purpose.
”Pretty up the City” I believe we have “Keep Middletown Beautiful” on the City payroll
 for this job. I believe they also get grants from the State and the Middletown Community Foundation.

Section 6 Sam Ashworth & Ann Mort – I’m unsure of what these projects may be but I believe these problems would be better served if the City took leadership. How are we going to pay for cleaning up the City when we can’t even pay for the Street Sweeper to operate? We have laws in place to make business and private property owners clean up their property. Maybe we should start by enforce them.

THE PROBLEM ISN’T MIDDLETOWN…THE PROBLEM IS LEADERSHIP

MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 1:29pm
To Vivian Moon.....
Why does all the low income residents' helping/funding/giveaway services have to be downtown?
The bus covers all of Middletown. We already have lots of low income help located in the down town area.
I have clients who are afraid to go back to their car once they have been at my business. Because of low income/no income citizens hanging around. Is this good for my Business? NO. They hang around, they leave their trash....and so on and so on.

"KMB" is strictly landscaping/planting flowers, etc.. Correct? KMB does discourage littering and encourages recycling. How is that going to help a Blighted Building?

Blighted buildings, overflowing dumpsters, etc is a City Law Enforcement issue. Who's in charge?

Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 2:35pm
Madison Mom,
     You have many good ideas that express the sme sentiments of many of us. You also are correct when you say that there are government agencies already set up to solve many of these problems. However, we have been trying for years to get them to act and can't get anything done. That's why its time for change in government.
      There are children being neglected in our education system. I don' think you can blame it on the parents. Children must be educated and told they can achieve regardless of parents, abuse, environment and other excuses. That is why I keep referring to the successful Charter school program at East Lake in Atlanta. If our public school system would do it I would be thrilled and would support it whole heartedly.
      Thank you for your interest, response and ideas. Please continue to speak out.
           Paul Nagy
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 2:49pm
MadisonMom
It would help fill the downtown office space.
I think the problem you are speaking of is from the Hope House on Main Street. The residents must leave during the day and spend most of their time roaming the downtown area, sitting in doorways and sitting at the library.
I guess if we are going to have a "Wish List" we should add relocation of the homeless that are now at the Hope House.
Sorry, Mr. Nagy had those items listed together. I'm not really sure of which planting that KMB takes care of and which are planted and cared for by the City. The big planters around town are cared for by KMB. If he wants to "Pretty Up" the downtown area..who will pay for the project and do the labor?...KMB? The City didn't have the time to pull the weeds in the plantings downtown last summer. KMB also supports the big spring litter clean up.
I think the Blighted Buildings are under Marty Kohler or it may be the new department of Ginger Smith.
Overflowing dumpsters and trash would be the Health Department.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 3:37pm

Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

I appreciate both the Spider's thoughts/ideas AND Mr. Nagy's. I would like to see how both of these gentlemen operate behind that Council desk after the next election! Gentlemen- please consider running to replace the current members in 09! For the city to place a totally competent/ intelligent Council behind that desk, I'd like to see Mr. Presta and the Pacman run also.

Vet:

I agree 100% that we need new people on council, and we need them after the next election or it will probably be too late!!! However, the seats up for election in November of '09 are the four Ward seats.

Here is my analysis of each ward:

Ward 1: If Mr. Armbruster has the gall to run for re-election, he certainly is weak, and can be defeated. He has no record on which to run other than to "go along, and not make waves." His only strong point is that he is a good storyteller, although his stories seldom are germane to the problems at hand. Of VietVet's suggestions, only SpiderJohn and I (to the best of my knowledge) reside in Ward 1. While I am honored by Vet's suggestion that I run, I am physically unable to serve. However, I feel certain that Spiderman could defeat Mr. Arbruster.

Bottom line: Spiderman is intelligent and honest and, assuming that no one else runs, I feel confident that he could defeat Mr. Armbruster, and I could support him.

Ward 2: Although she has not so stated, I believe Ms. Ford will run for re-election. However, with all due respect to Ms. Ford, I believe that she is weak and easily subject to upset by someone with a stronger personality.

Bottom line: This seat is ripe for the picking, but by whom? If several people run, Ms. Ford may prevail simply because since she has done nothing, she has done nothing wrong. (To her credit, she was on the correct side of the ridiculous "no really compelling reason to change" Section 8 fiasco.)

Ward 3: Although he has not so stated (at least not to my knowledge), I believe Mr. Marconi will have the gall to run for re-election, even though IMHO he actually has his eye on the "center seat" of council as a stepping stone to a County office. None-the-less, I believe his seat also is vulnerable. He has never been a strong candidate, nor has he “distinguished” himself. Of VietVet's suggestions, I believe that only Pacman resides in Ward 3. (I am not quite sure of the exact location of Pacman’s home, but I believe it is very near the ward boundary.) However, VietVet himself is a Ward 3 resident and should possibly consider running.

Bottom line: Both of these gentlemen are intelligent and honest, and worthy of support. However, the key to defeating Marconi will be in NOT splitting the vote.

Ward 4: Although he has stated the he will NOT run again, I believe that this is the SUREST sign that “Honest Dave” WILL have the gall to run again. All this race needs is another candidate! Schiavone has ran Unopposed in the last three elections and has received fewer votes each time. Last time he got only 1093 votes out of nearly 7,000 registered voters (percentage-wise, the lowest turnout in the city). This guy needs to go. If I lived in the Fourth Ward, I would sacrifice my health, for the sake of the citizens, to run against him!

Bottom line: Schiavone will once again go back on his word and will run for re-election. Of VietVet's suggestions, only Mr. Nagy lives in Ward 4. Mr. Nagy is Honest and intelligent, and therefore worthy of support. However, he does have health issues which may preclude his running.

CITY-WIDE bottom line:

Except for city hall (including city council), Middletown is ready for CHANGE!!! Any honest, reasonably intelligent, persons without personal agendas or conflicting interests have a bona fide chance of defeating the lackluster incumbents, should they have the gall to seek re-election. The key will be NOT “splitting the vote”!! People in the same ward interested in running should meet, discuss the situation, and agree on a single candidate in each ward in order to avoid allowing the incumbent's “name recognition” to carry the day. If this does NOT happen, it will probably be too late in 2013, and Middletown will be doomed!!

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 7:38pm
Mike- great post as to assessment of the situation on candidates/incumbants. Certainly accurate in the incumbant area. Yes, I live in Ward 3, ironically, on the other side of Marshall from Mr. Marconi. I view Ward 3, and the Oaks area, as the most difficult for a new candidate to be an "incumbant buster". I may be wrong, but I suspect that Mr. Marconi has a great amount of support from the group of professionals and "club" members living in this part of town. Similar to Andrews on the School Board. I suspect( can't prove),she was supported by the block of professional voters, primarily from this ward. My concern in the 3rd Ward would be how to convince the "high income professionals" to support a "non- club- non traditional" candidate. The 1st Ward, with Manchester Manor, the Riviera area and Countryside area, certainly has it's share of professionals/business folks too, but, as you have stated, Armbuster is a nice guy, but hardly proactive enough to matter. I believe that Marconi in the 3rd would be harder to defeat than Armbruster in the 1st. Must be someone who could end Schiavone's non-challenged runs. I agree, he needs to exit the decision making scene in Middletown, for the good of the town. Ford in the 2nd Ward- mercy, there has to be someone who could challenge her on her record. She just blends in with the wallpaper in Council meetings occasionally offering small talk of little importance. As for me, I don't know how I would be able to work around my private industry job. My work schedule doesn't allow the flexiblity that would be required to attend all of the Council functions, at least on time. How about you in the 3rd, Pacman? You certainly have the capability to outduel Marconi. I believe people are tired of his constant domination of meetings/town direction, while seemingly unable to accomplish anything positive that can be measured.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 11:06pm
The planters around town are taken care of by "voluntary citizens/businesses". Planted and taken care of year round. KMB took care of putting the little "signs" that are placed in the planters, courtesy of the city sign dept.. Not sure if all the planters were accounted for this year by citizens or businesses. Downtown, it's all the city's responsibility and they do a good job, I have no complaints. I will also pull weeds when necessary. I have also suggested to get the city, KMB, Middletown Historical Society, etc. to have a local landscaping company (Berns, Norvells, Armbrusters) to volunteer landscaping to the Port MIddletown Canal. How hard can that be? All they have to do is say NO. They might fall all over each other trying to compete! Could be a chance for Armbruster to make himself look good. Oh, am I overstepping? Surely the City could afford a sign or plaque of some kind, mentioning their name? Or KMB could pay for it. I have actually mentioned this to all 3 mentioned above for about 3 years now. They all say, "That's a good idea".

That's what I don't understand.....Ask someone.....You never know what could happen.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2009 at 4:30pm
MadisonMom
Matt Armbruster has donated the flowers in the front beds at the Middletown Cemetery for the past five years. The flowers inside the cemetery are donations from my research services.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2009 at 6:57pm
That is good to know. Which cemetary? The historical cemetary?
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2009 at 8:31pm
           I'm excited about two happenings today that significantly impact Middletown. The first and most important is the selection of Mike Robinette as the new Economic Development Director. I believe this is a man that will do a great job for the city. The second good thing today is a 2.4 million dollar grant for housing.
          Watch for a new busines announcement coming out of Franklin.
                                Paul Nagy
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 10:13am
MadisonMom, Yes the old Middletown Cemetery that is located on First Avenue & Richmond Street.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 10:27am
Mike Presta
I think it is time to set up another meeting for the November 2009 Election.
I also think it's time to ask the tough question of the current Council and department heads so we can make an informed decision when we do vote.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2009 at 12:48am
Ms. Moon:  Have we met?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2009 at 8:02am
No, Mike, we have not met.
I have seen you at some of the Council Meetings.
I hope to meet you soon so we can have a BIG cup of coffee.
Sorry..My last post about setting up a meeting should have been addressed to Viet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic