FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to "Keep Middletown Beautiful"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to "Keep Middletown Beautiful"
    Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 6:31am

Several times in the last ten years I have urged Middletown’s city councils/commissions to include the repair or rebuilding of the streets in our poorest neighborhoods in their CBDG (Community Development Block Grants) plans.

I was always told that, by law, this was not allowed, even though everyone but the newest members of council knew this to be untrue. Instead, our councils have always insisted that CBDG money be used for “neighborhood beautification”, even though much of the money goes unused year after year while our poorest neighborhoods could have had the BEST STREETS in the city.

The Conference of Mayors’ MainStreet Economic Recovery plan, developed under the leadership of Miami Mayor Manual A. (Manny) Diaz, the President of the Conference, calls for federal investments in 10 sectors that will quickly create jobs in metro areas, improve the infrastructure that the private sector needs to succeed, help the small businesses of Main Street America, and produce lasting economic and environmental benefits for the nation.

The U.S. Conference of Mayors recently released the third in its series of reports on infrastructure projects that are “ready to go” in cities across the nation – projects that meet local infrastructure needs, can be funded through existing federal channels, start quickly when funding is received, and generate the significant numbers of jobs that are needed to counter the severe economic problems we face today in our metro areas and our nation as a whole.

Included on that list are 3,253 projects in 641 cities and towns totaling $19,474,124,552 that could be funded under CBDGs. These projects, if funded, are projected to create a total of 299,762 good paying jobs.

Middletown wants everyone to get excited about another beautification project.

This is a really compelling reason for everyone to get a tattoo of a pretty flower on their butt.

That is what will be showing as our heads remain stuck in the sand. Confused
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 8:21am
Middletown Pride in Action:

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Middletown Pride in Action:

Pacman:
Your linnk took me to:
"Eight Modifiable Risk Factors of Healthy Aging, Part One
January 10, 2009. Dr. Rick Hasemeier shows how seniors can reduce the risk of illness."
Is that what you intended???

(This is NOT to imply that it is not what I NEED!!! LOLLOL)
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 9:11am
Hmmmmmmmmmm it should have taken you to Ann Mort  8 minutes in Middletown lets try again.

Hmmm like somethings in Middletown it ain't working right.  On the righthand side click on the second show which should be 8 Minutes in Middletown with Ann Mort.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 9:51am
Pacman:
I think that this is the correct (perma)link:

Regardless, I see!  Sam and Ann want everyone to send the projects that THEIR groups already plan to do, so that they (Sam and Ann) can put them all on THEIR (Sam's and Ann's) list!!!

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 10:05am
I am interested in seeing who this committee they came up with is.  I would think it would have been more logical to hold your meeting and then have a committee comprised of those people that are there and involved, rather than we secretly picked them ahead of time.   I am not  big fan of the lets do things behind closed doors then spring it on everyone later.  I was comtemplating going to the meeting, but it appears that they have already set the agenda and who is going to run the show.

This is all fine and good but it is just a distraction as to what the real problems addressed in the Forbes Story are:

"income growth, the rate of domestic in-migration, the change in poverty and the percentage of the population with a bachelor's degree or higher."

City leaders and others continue to live in denial about these issues. 
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2009 at 7:14am
Bingo Mike! You have hit the Jackpot!
You are correct. The CDBG money can be used for many different types of projects.
As the City cries that they have no funds for City improvements the checks from the state and federal grant programs keep rolling in and land on the desk of Mr. Kohler.
He decides what projects go before the committee to be funded.
 Ermm Hmmm....wonder where Mr. Kohler spent all this money last year?

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2009 at 8:59am
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2009 at 9:02am
Seems that Kohler's name is sure attached to a lot of the Money flowing in Middletown.  Does one person have to much control and say over these matters?  Who is getting this money in Middletown?  Is the money going for the benefit of Middletown as a whole?  Does anyone know or care?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2009 at 11:58am
 I've always heard rumers  that the bulk of the CDBG funds used, have been used under those parts of the law highlighted in red below.

Also, a goodly portion of the funds go unused every year.  These funds CAN be "rolled over", but there is a limit.  After a certain number of years, the unused funds are reclaimed by the Federal government.

§ 570.202   Eligible rehabilitation and preservation activities.
(a) Types of buildings and improvements eligible for rehabilitation assistance. CDBG funds may be used to finance the rehabilitation of:

(1) Privately owned buildings and improvements for residential purposes; improvements to a single-family residential property ...

(d) Historic preservation. CDBG funds may be used for the rehabilitation, preservation or restoration of historic properties, whether publicly or privately owned. Historic properties are those sites or structures that are either listed in or eligible to be listed in the National Register of Historic Places, listed in a State or local inventory of historic places, or designated as a State or local landmark or historic district.
Now, the city makes it sound like all of this money goes to the poorest folks in town.  While the "neighborhoods" towards which these CBDG grants are targeted in Middletown are in the 2nd Ward, the high dollar and supposed "historic" homes on S. Main Street are included within the boundaries targeted by Middletown's City Hall.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2009 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Seems that Kohler's name is sure attached to a lot of the Money flowing in Middletown.  Does one person have to much control and say over these matters?  Who is getting this money in Middletown?  Is the money going for the benefit of Middletown as a whole?  Does anyone know or care?
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Bingo Mike! You have hit the Jackpot!
You are correct. The CDBG money can be used for many different types of projects.
As the City cries that they have no funds for City improvements the checks from the state and federal grant programs keep rolling in and land on the desk of Mr. Kohler.
He decides what projects go before the committee to be funded.
 Ermm Hmmm....wonder where Mr. Kohler spent all this money last year? 
Shocked

What do you think I've been trying to say all of these years???  But it's been more than just one person.  Still, If you truly and thoroughly read all of the zoning regulations and the building reulations and the planning regulations, you will see why "business UNfreindly" Middletown is so unattractive to new businesses.  In fact, it is pretty darn UNfriendly to residents as well.  Just wait until you have to do some major remodeling.  If you try to play by the rules (unlike Honest Dave), You'll find out just how much more it costs to build in Middletown to do things Marty's way.

PS:  Don't forget that SOMEHOW the Historic and Landmark Society somehow was granted the right of FIRST refusal for ANY project in Middletown!!  This would force a business (or a resident wanting to remodel) to file a lengthy and expensive appeal if the good people of the Historical Society don't like what you want.  This, likewise, is a lot of power for one person.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2009 at 3:40pm
Well now Mike you are getting to heart of the this matter...
I went before City Council and requested that the Middletown Cemetery be declared historic so I could apply for grant money to restore the cemetery and the vault. The application was approved. I then worked for three years clearing the grounds. After that I requested matching funds from the City to save the historic vault at the Middletown Cemetery and was refused by Mr. Kohler and the City. The Middletown Cemetery was established in 1828 and is the most historic place in Middletown. Needless to say I couldn't believe that they refused my request. I guess the cemetery isn't historic enough. So unless I can move the cemetery to Main Street I guess I need not apply for CDBG money again. I was told that I needed to go out and get private funds to restore the vault that is sitting on City property.
Hmmmm..Wonder who lives on Main Street that are getting these low interest loans to repair historic properties?  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic