FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good luck, Mr. Nagy!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good luck, Mr. Nagy!!!
    Posted: Jan 17 2009 at 2:49pm
I see from reading the workbook for Tuesday's council meeting that Mr. Paul Nagy has been proposed to serve on the Charter Review Committee!!!  I do hope that he is confirmed by council, as most of the rest are the same old gang.

Good luck, Mr. Nagy!  Please let me know if I can assist you with research, or in any other way.
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2009 at 2:05pm
Yes, good luck sir. I don't know you personally, but I agree with much you have said on TV Middletown and other media outlets. I look forward to reading more of your positions on the issues.

Hope you can help the city of Middletown imrprove its business climate.
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2009 at 5:18pm
What is the Charter Review Committee?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2009 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by MadisonMom MadisonMom wrote:

What is the Charter Review Committee?
According to Article I, Section 5 of Middletown's City Charter:
 "At least once every ten (10) years after January 1, 1973, City Council shall appoint a committee of electors of the City as the Charter Review Committee. Such committee shall appoint its Chairman and may name other electors to assist in such review."
The last such review was in 1999.

The Middletown City Charter can be found at the beginning of the "Middletown Codified Ordinances" here:  http://www.ci.middletown.oh.us/docs/council/cityordinances.pdf

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2009 at 7:10am
Mike
Thanks for the link.
You have made my day. It provided me with with a great many answers.
Hmmm..It seems the City isn't living up to the letter of the law.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2009 at 8:57am
It will be interesting to see how Council/admin packs this board.
Hopefully the list of appointees will be published online or in print.
I would hope to see a few names from the message boards in the mix.
Mr.Nagy, Mr.Presta and Mr.Wills would be excellent choices based on their continuous involvement, long-time residency and passion for the community.

Still doesn't matter much, since Council nixed many of the recommendations from the last review.
Still--they DID approve some important changes.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2009 at 9:18am

VM:

You don't realize the half of it!! Middletown's "Codified Ordinances" (Which run over 14 hundred pages, more than the entire Ohio Revised Code) is fraught with contradictions, errors, and SURPRISES!

Here's an example:  Did you know that Middletown is supposed to have an EIGHTEEN member "Middletown Clean Community Board"???  Their duty???  They "shall advise the City Council on all matters relative to individual and collective responsibilities for keeping the City clean."  And, yes, the ordinance says "SHALL", not may, could, or "if council wants them to"!!!  In legalese, when it says "shall" it means that it is mandatory!!!  Instead, Middletown councils have been supporting Keep Middletown Beautiful to do this.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2009 at 9:20am
How about considering Mr. Spider-J, Mr. S, Mr. Non-AK Worker, Mr. Strategist, Mr. Tomahawk, Mr. Pacman and others who are knowledgeable about the issues as well? How about AJ? Many to choose from based on the posts on the different blogs. My experience says Council will "load up" the Committee with their crew and will overwhelm any dissention or radical changes anyway. Until the "different direction" people have the numbers on Council, the results will be the same and the minority participation will be just a token gesture on the city's part.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2009 at 9:28am
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

It will be interesting to see how Council/admin packs this board.
Hopefully the list of appointees will be published online or in print.
I would hope to see a few names from the message boards in the mix.
Mr.Nagy, Mr.Presta and Mr.Wills would be excellent choices based on their continuous involvement, long-time residency and passion for the community.

Still doesn't matter much, since Council nixed many of the recommendations from the last review.
Still--they DID approve some important changes.
Spider:
Here's the list!  You must be daft to think they would have considered me!!!  I was on the Finance subcommittee, and they wouldn't even tell me when or where the meetings were being held!!! Confused

In accordance with Article I, Section 5, of the Charter of the City of Middletown, the following fifteen (15) electors of the City are hereby appointed to serve as a Charter Review Committee: Christopher Amburgey, Kent Bradshaw, Tom Brickey, Jamey Colts, Kent Ferguson, Fred Gibson, Wanda Glover, Rob Hoffman, Joe Mulligan, Paul Nagy, Paul Nenni, Dan Picard, Mike Scorti, Dick sl*gle and John Soppanish
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2009 at 9:34am
Sorry guys but the picks have been made and it is business as usual for most of the picks.  This is from Tuesdays, 1-20-09, work book under the legislation section.  I don't expect anything earth shattering to come out of this:

"In accordance with Article I, Section 5, of the Charter of the City of Middletown, the following fifteen (15) electors of the City are hereby appointed to serve as a Charter Review Committee: Christopher Amburgey, Kent Bradshaw, Tom Brickey, Jamey Colts, Kent Ferguson, Fred Gibson, Wanda Glover, Rob Hoffman, Joe Mulligan, Paul Nagy, Paul Nenni, Dan Picard, Mike Scorti, Dick sl*gle and John Soppanish and shall serve without compensation."

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2009 at 9:45am
Pacman:
Great minds think alike!!!
(And apparently, ours do too!!! LOLLOL)
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2009 at 9:55am
Big%20smileThumbs%20Up
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2009 at 3:13pm
Don't know most of these people. I recognize Soppanish and Nagy as those that are "outsiders". I know that Amburgey is a former non-elected Councilmen- kind of AWOL on the job though- and Brickey serves on the Planning Commission and was on the school board, I believe. Nenni has had his day in the sun as a Councilmember I believe. Picard, Scorti and sl*gle are tied to the city's apron strings. Is Hoffman the same Major Hoffman on the police force? If so, he'll be another " city yes man". Glover is involved in the 2nd Ward activities. Who is Bradshaw,Colts, Ferguson, Gibson, and is Joe Mulligan related to THE Lawrence Mulligan The Third? Just curious. Looks like the deck is stacked against any majority changes for the good guys. No surprise though. Too bad for the city.     Why does sl*gle type like this?
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2009 at 1:28pm
Last I knew, Rob Hoffman works for DS @ BBQ Junction.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2009 at 3:41pm
Mike, I just received an email from the City requesting that I fix the link to the 1947 Deed of the Middletown Cemetery which is on my web site at: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohcmiddl/Deeds.htm
The cemetery is really not under any department at the City. However the records are held at the Engineer's Office. I have worked with Ginger Smith, of the Public Works Department for the last several years. Maybe they are going to place it's care under the Parks Department now??
I'm not sure what all the "Keep Middletown Beautiful" is involved with.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2009 at 4:14pm
Its a very nice website Vivian.
Middletown Ohio History & Genealogy

"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history."            Cicero Roman Statesman, Author, Philosopher
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2009 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Mike, I just received an email from the City requesting that I fix the link to the 1947 Deed of the Middletown Cemetery which is on my web site at: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohcmiddl/Deeds.htm

Fix it???  What's wrong with it??? Ermm
 It seems like it works fine to me!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 5:54am
CDBG Money
Thanks Mike for going before council last night with your request to use some of the CDBG money for the repair of streets in the poorer neighborhoods. It seems that all of council agreeded with you this time..Thumbs%20Up
We really need to keep an eye on how this money is spent this year
I'm against the City purchasing property to rehab.Thumbs%20Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 11:58am

CDBG Money
Thanks Mike for going before council last night with your request to use some of the CDBG money for the repair of streets in the poorer neighborhoods. It seems that all of council agreeded with you this time..Thumbs%20Up
We really need to keep an eye on how this money is spent this year
I'm against the City purchasing property to rehab.Thumbs%20Down
You're welcome, Ms. Moon.
But "all" of council was NOT in agreement with me regardless of how it looked on TV.  For some reason, it seems like city staff, and those members of council who dabble in real estate really do want this money to go just for beautification, updating of "old" homes, and buying/rehabbing foreclosed homes (that the city ehds up stuck with).  I can't for the life of me figure out why!!! Ermm 
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 12:13pm

I was both at last night's city council meeting, and I've now watched the replay of same yet I didn't see or hear anything about the Charter Review Committee.

Did it happen while I was in the restroom???

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 12:21pm
Mike, I saw your other post about the CDBG money.
Kohler wants the money to go to HIS projects. I have had this CDBG discussion with Mr. Kohler several time.
We just can NOT continue to put the majority of this money into his pet projects. Other areas of the City have needs also.
The old sewers need to be repaired first and then new streets could go down. If we just did a mile ($400,000) it would be some effort in the right direction.
I don't understand why they would rather send unspent money back to the state rather that use it here in our community for sewers and streets...Confused
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 5:18pm

Mike, I saw your other post about the CDBG money.
Kohler wants the money to go to HIS projects. I have had this CDBG discussion with Mr. Kohler several times.
We just can NOT continue to put the majority of this money into his pet projects. Other areas of the City have needs also.
Ms. Moon:
You are correct!  I think that I know the reasons for this, but I have not yet been able to find the documentation that I need to come right out and say it.

If we just did a mile ($400,000) it would be some effort in the right direction.
The $400K/lane-mile figure is a red herring!  That is the figure for completely rebuilding a lane-mile.  Many really bad streets can be rehabilitated for much less, and to do so NOW, would prevent them from completely failing in the near future and then requiring a complete rebuild.  Also, $400K worth of individual spot patching is a highly signifigant amount of work.  $400K worth of crack sealing of otherwise sound pavement is HUGE!

I don't understand why they would rather send unspent money back to the state rather that use it here in our community for sewers and streets...Confused
I don't understand either, and I tried to point that out.  My gut feeling is that someone wants to make certain that there is plenty of cash available for certain projects.  Instinct says to "follow the money" to find the answer to this question.
2000+ View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2009 at 9:50am
The charter review is a joke. Their all tied to the city in some form.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic