Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, April 25, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why NOT CDBG money for infrastructure???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why NOT CDBG money for infrastructure???
    Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 11:40am

Ms. Gilleland made it sound as if all that might be allowed under CDBG regulations was perhaps some sidewalk, curb and gutter work. However, that is just NOT consistent with the FACTS!! It is simply NOT true!! Today, CDBG can be used to create jobs through: the construction of public facilities and improvements, water and sewer facilities, streets…”

Here are just a few of over FOUR THOUSAND projects (all CBDG-eligible) seeking funding totaling over $26.5 TRILLION. As a part of the 2009 MainStreet Economic Recovery Plan (CDBG Programs), the individual project requests range from a mere $5,000 to over $4 HUNDRED MILLION each: 

Akron OH: CDBG Crouse Street Public Improvements (water main & storm sewer reconstruction, asphalt reconstruction, curbs, and sidewalk). $722,000

Akron OH: CDBG Dover Avenue et al Public Improvements (storm sewer, asphalt reconstruction, curbs, and sidewalk). $883,000

Akron OH: CDBG Rosalind Court / Gotham Court Pavement Reconstruction $462,000

Akron OH: CDBG Lock 3 Redevelopment ? reconstruction of Ohio Canal (storm sewer) $3,000,000

Akron OH: CDBG Wilbeth (Firestone Parkway to Dallas Roadway Improvements $4,500,000

Alhambra CA: CDBG Street Rehabilitation/Construction: Raymond Avenue, from Grand Avenue to Mission Road $900,000

Alhambra CA: CDBG Street Rehabilitation/Construction: Main Street, from the east City boundary to the west City boundary $8,000,000

Alhambra CA: CDBG Street Rehabilitation/Construction: Commonwealth Avenue, from Granada Avenue to Winchester Avenue $2,688,307

Anaheim CA: CDBG Construction of Fire Station No. 12 and Neighborhood Park - Platinum Triangle $14,000,000

Arlington TX: CDBG Sewer Service lines for low income households in NRSA $1,000,000

Arlington Heights IL: CDBG Street Rehabilitation $2,000,000

Atlanta GA: CDBG Replace 8 Fire Stations that are over 50 years old and under poor conditions $24,000,000

Auburn AL: CDBG Street Resurfacing $250,000

Auburn WA: CDBG Arterial Crack Sealing Program that seals cracks on 65 miles of arterial streets and 70 miles of local streets in a century old city with one of the lowest average incomes in county. This project is fully designed and ready and can start within 90 days. $1,900,000

Avon MN: CDBG Street Improvements $700,000

Avon MN: CDBG Stratford Avenue Improvements $500,000

Avon MN: CDBG Blattner Drive Improvements $300,000

Avondale AZ: CDBG Hill Street Extension - Acquire right of way and complete street extension and drainage improvements to eliminate crime and blight $400,000

Avondale AZ: CDBG Old Town Street Rehabilitation $1,200,000

Bayard NM: CDBG Reconstruction of local streets and state highway. $3,500,000

Cape Coral FL: CDBG Utility Expansion Program, Provide public water, sewer and wastewater recycle to replace well and septic-SW 6/7area, North 1 through 8 areas and facility expansion project $345,400,000

Why is Middletown city hall fighting tooth and nail AGAINST money for projects such as these, but FOR “beautification” money??? Don't we need streets, sewers, fire station repairs, etc. just as much as, or more than, any of these cities?

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 2:54pm
Mike if they had used half the money from CDBG over the years for sewers and streets they couldn't keep asking us for more taxes.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 3:16pm
Absolutely
Though it is not a tremendous sum when applied to infrastructure repairs, that area is where it is most needed.

We REALLY need a clarification of where the past CDBG money has gone, and where the HUD $$ generated from increased Section 8 has been allocated.

jmo
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 6:19pm
Spider:
I believe that you are right on the money on this one!!!  (Or could it be that city employees or certain council members are "right on the money" on this one?)  I tried to talk about where streets were in the rank of priorities, but that subject seemed to be quite illusive, other than the $400K per lane-mile red herring.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 3:55am
Mike I noticed your name was in the Middletown Journal concerning the use of CDBG money for the repair of streets. GOOD JOB! This is just what was needed. I noticed that the City stated this was the last year of the 5 year Plan. We need to change the direction of the next 5 Year Plan...We need to ask WHERE"S THE MONEY!

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 7:30am
How come this doesn't apply uniformly across the City?  It doesn't apply to CDBG funds that should have been used to repair roads which would effect the most citizens, instead we rehab a few houses.  It doesn't apply to Section 8 housing which should be cut back from its current overabundance to a level more in line with our population in the county or preferably given to the County.

I guess this is Mulligans throw away line to pacify the population.  From todays article on SunCoke in the Journal.

"It was identified as industrial land and the rezoning affirmed that," said Middletown Mayor Larry Mulligan Jr. "The benefits of the many outweighed the needs of the few."
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 9:24am
How did you know about CDBG?
Are you sure Middletown hasn't already applied for CDBG funding?

What is CDBG?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 10:04am
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Jonathan Haller Jonathan Haller wrote:

How did you know about CDBG?
I read a lot, I pay attention, I listen more than I speak, and I do a good deal of reasearch before I open my big mouth.  Oh yeah, I used to have a really good memory...and my long-term memory is still pretty good.

Are you sure Middletown hasn't already applied for CDBG funding?
I am sure that they HAVE...they just refuse to use it for streets or sewers or fire station repairs (as so many other cities are doing.) 

Also, I have known it for years, as have some members of council.  The last time I spoke on the very same matter was a couple of years ago.  Everyone just sat there staring into space, and I was told to go sit down.  After I left the building, Rev. Councilman Tyus said that Mike Presta was wrong, and that it was unlawful to use CBDG money for streets.  All the other council members--plus Landon and then city manager Becker--all knew that I was correct, but not even ONE of them had the integrity to stand up for a citizen and tell Tyus that NO, Presta was correct and HE was the one who had it wrong!

What is CDBG?
CBDG = Community Development Block Grant
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 10:30am
LOLLOLLOL Pacman!!

I would've beat ya to it, but I'm a slow typist...and much more verbose!!
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 10:50am
What motivation does the city have to not use CDBG money for street repairs? Are they collecting CDBG money currently for anything else?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 11:06am
From what I gather the City has been spending millions of dollars to fix/repair/tear down, etc. maybe 50 houses a year or less.  With that same money they could have done over 5 years about 5 lane miles of road a year or 25 lane miles over 5 years of the how many do we have to fix...I forget.  Now according to Mayor Mulligan, "The benefits of the many outweighed the needs of the few." but not in this case.

Hey Mike who is getting these funds to rehab houses in Middletown?

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 12:47pm
Ok Guys I guess I had better get in here and clear up a few things and pray that I'm correct. The City of Middletown gets numerous grants for different programs. Some of these CDBG grants can only be used for specific items and or areas. However the one we are discussing can be used for street & sewer repair in a certain area of the City.
Maybe we should ask Mr. Kohler to explain CDBG at a council meeting. Find out what all the CDBG money was used for last year.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 1:26pm
I thought Mrs. Smith was the CDBG expert now.

Program Areas

%20-%20  Entitlement Communities
The CDBG entitlement program allocates annual grants to larger cities and urban counties to develop viable communities by providing decent housing, a suitable living environment, and opportunities to expand economic opportunities, principally for low- and moderate-income persons.
%20-%20  State Administered CDBG
Also known as the Small Cities CDBG program, States award grants to smaller units of general local government that carry out community development activities. Annually, each State develops funding priorities and criteria for selecting projects.
%20-%20  Section 108 Loan Guarantee Program
CDBG entitlement communities are eligible to apply for assistance through the section 108 loan guarantee program. CDBG non-entitlement communities may also apply, provided their State agrees to pledge the CDBG funds necessary to secure the loan. Applicants may receive a loan guarantee directly or designate another public entity, such as an industrial development authority, to carry out their Section 108 assisted project.
%20-%20  HUD Administered Small Cities
The HUD Honolulu Office directly administers the CDBG program for non-entitlement communities in the State of Hawaii.
%20-%20  Insular Areas
The Insular Areas CDBG program provides grants to four designated insular areas: American Samoa; Guam; Northern Mariana Islands; and the Virgin Islands.
%20-%20  Disaster Recovery Assistance
HUD provides flexible grants to help cities, counties, and States recover from Presidentially declared disasters, especially in low-income areas, subject to availability of supplemental appropriations.
%20-%20  Neighborhood Stabilization Program
HUD provides grants to communities hardest hit by foreclosures and delinquencies to purchase, rehabilitate or redevelop homes and stabilize neighborhoods.
%20-%20  Colonias
Texas, Arizona, California, and New Mexico set aside up to 10 percent of their State CDBG funds for improving living conditions for colonias residents.
%20-%20  Renewal Communities/ Empowerment Zones/ Enterprise Communities (RC/EZ/EC)
This is a program that uses an innovative approach to revitalization, bringing communities together through public and private partnerships to attract the investment necessary for sustainable economic and community
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 4:47pm

Mr. Haller, you ask: “What motivation does the city have to not use CDBG money for street repairs?”

That is what I asked back a few years ago when this program had first gotten underway, and that is what I asked last Tuesday night! For some reason, that is also what no one was willing to address back then, and no one is eager to address now.

Just for your information, it is up to THE CITY to make A PLAN (which may be modified every year) as to how they want to use the money under this program. The parameters are quite wide, including: “to meet one of the following national objectives for the program: … prevention or elimination of slums or blight, or address community development needs having a particular urgency because existing conditions pose a serious and immediate threat to the health or welfare of the community for which other funding is not available.”

Our streets, and the combined sewer system, are certainly “blights” on our community and a barrier to “community development”, as is the condition of some of our firehouses. In addition, the condition of at least one firehouse is a “threat to health and welfare”. We have no other funding available (unless it is “tucked away in some of our other accounts.”).

It only becomes “disallowed” to use the CBDG funds for such items IF the “PLAN” that WE submit (or OUR yearly revision) does NOT include these things!!!

Then you ask: “Are they collecting CDBG money currently for anything else?”

Yes!  Throughout the life of OUR plan the following have been included among what we asked for and received: Neighborhood beautification; purchase of foreclosed homes at auction and the rehab and resale of same; downtown facades and similar items; updating and repair of homes in blighted neighborhoods (and I believe this has included homes on SOUTH MAIN STREET, although I am unsure exactly which ones); demolition of abandoned or condemned structures; home ownership programs for residents who might otherwise not qualify; and the like.

You can see what this year’s planned expenditures are by watching the 1/20/2009 council meeting here: http://tvmiddletown.blip.tv/#1698606. This info is shown when Ginger Smith approaches the dais, about 1 minute and 58 seconds into the broadcast on the little timer just below the lower left-hand corner of the picture.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 6:23am
Neighborhood Beautification - I can't speak for other areas of the City but I can speak for the change that happened at the Middletown Cemetery after the new sign, flag, plants and trees were added to the front of the cemetery. The crime problem went down and so did the trash. The neighbors stated watching over the cemetery and even brought me ice tea on hot summer days while I was digging in the dirt.
Demolition of abandoned or condemned structures needs to an impotant part of our City budget even if these areas become just an empty grassy area.
We really do need to clean up our City.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 6:47am
Thought for today..

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." 
Margaret Mead 
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 7:02am
Question why does it cost $167K to run this program?  Would it not be more cost effective to hire someone full time at half this price to oversee the management of this program and thus saving about $90k a year and using that money to tear down a few more abandoned buildings? Or are there other hidden costs involved?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic