FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How About That Trash?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How About That Trash?
    Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 9:03am
Major Hoffman- now that you have signed on to this forum, I have a question for you. While driving on Grand Avenue in the area of Jacot Park and the Middletown Shopping Center, I noticed (as I'm sure many notice) the major amount of trash that is next to the wall and in the bushes between Jacot and the shopping center. In summer, the bushes conceal most of this trash, but with winter, the bushes reveal a major problem. Question- why don't we use the city jail inmates (fed and bedded by the taxpayer), to pick up this trash in this and other areas? That way the city would benefit and the taxpayer would see some benefit for our money the city takes from us. Is there a reason why the city couldn't make this a daily ritual with problem areas targeted around the city?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 10:01am
I believe that we have a citizen organization operating Jacot Park with the blessing of the Parks Dept. and the city. They have gone as far as to prohibit citizens from going on to the soccer fields, even though Jacot is really public property.

Why shouldn't that group also be responsible for cleaning the park property as part of their usage agreement? I believe they have the right to prohibit citizens from using parts of the park, so they have no one to blame but themselves if the park is littered away from the precious soccer fields.

Major Hoffman is on board now?
Cool!! Nice guy!! And in the loop!
Where did he post,vet?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 11:08am
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Major Hoffman is on board now?...Where did he post,vet?
Spider:
Someone using the screen name "Major Hoffman" registered as a member on 21 January 2009 at 8:42 AM.  That member has not posted as of this moment (25 January 2009)and has not visited this site since 9:30 AM that very same day.

Is it really the Major???  I hope so.  If it is, I hope that he gets into the habit of checking this forum at least once per day.

If it is NOT Major Hoffman, I do hope the webmaster kicks the imposter off this site, and BLOCKS ACCESS from the imposter's URL!!!
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 11:32am
Vet, local inmates are used to help clean up the City. They have cleaned up the Richmond Street fence line at the Middletown Cemetery and also helped with the removal of trees and bushes that we cut down at the cemetery. It was the "Broken Window" comment made by Major Hoffman at a meeting I had with the City that inspired me to start the restoration of the Middletown Cemetery 6 years ago. Thank you Major Hoffman. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 3:58pm
Thank you for the info. Vivian. This location is one entry to the city- Roosevelt being the other- after the Y from 122. Grand and Breiel is a major intersection and tends to be a "first impression" of the city. I would think that that entire corridor from the get off ramp at I-75 to Breiel would be a priority for the trash patrol. It is a good thing to know that the city jail activity includes the prisoner trash patrol. Nice way to use these people for the benefit of the city/taxpayers.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 4:51pm
Oh you are talking by the Lovely Outhouse that sticks out like a sore thumb at the entrance to Jacot Park.  Can anyone tell me why they have this outhouse sitting at the entrance for everyone to see?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 5:05pm
The old green outhouse (along with the trash by the road)does stick out doesn't it? There is a building that sits on the opposite side of the parking lot by the major playing field. Wonder why they didn't include bathroom facilities in the back of that building??? Guess if needed, they could relocate it back toward the flagpole-but certainly out of the entrance drive to the park. Guess it's "easy to service" where it is. Perhaps Mr. Wood on the Parks Committee or Mr. Armbruster can get this moved to a less visable location. ????    
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2009 at 6:30am
"First Impression"
You are correct. ALL the main entries into the City need a great deal of work.
Getting off I-75 and seeing that big empty shopping mall is not a good "First Impression" either.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2009 at 9:40am
Also factor in a closed car dealership, two closed service stations(with no other immediate obvious fuel options) the closed Awful House.

The east end entrance has probably now become more of an eye-opening eyesore than coming in to downtown.

Where is city planning and the Neyer affiliation while this has recently transpired?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2009 at 9:03am
2/6/09- Drove past Jacot Park and the wall by the Middletown Shopping Center today. Noticed that all of the trash had been picked up in this area. Very nice job by whoever removed the trash. Guess there are some people who respond to some of these posts out there. To whomever did the work-NICE JOB- Thank you very much!   
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2009 at 10:18am
Hey Vet can you work your Magic and get the Outhouse moved out of site of at least the Traffic light at Elliott and Grand.Thumbs%20Up
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2009 at 10:06pm
Pacman- didn't Dave Pearce (??) come up with the idea for the soccer fields? Perhaps he's the contact for this??? Or, how about Merrell Wood with the Parks Board? Dunno. Otta be an easy thing to remedy. Just move the thing to the other end of the parking lot (if they insist on leaving it in the parking lot) to service it. Or- drag it over by the building by the main soccer field.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic