FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bye Bye Billy Boy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bye Bye Billy Boy
    Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 6:58am
Billy Becker may leave Council to become EMA Director as he has previous experience with the neighboring police and fire dept. leaders.He can add another $60-75,000 to his wallet for doing so. He also brings with him, his warm dynamic personality which should help bring logical,focused,open-minded progressive thinking (similar to city council) to the system. Looks like it's a lock for Bill. Congratulations, in advance, Mr. Becker. Hopefully, that's one down, and six to go on the dis-assemble/re-construct of Council.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 6:57am
OK- today's paper- They are now hiring for the EMA DIErector's slot. Becker says he's qualified, but as yet, undecided. Anyone taking bets on his departure from the Council and his arrival at the EMA slot? Kind of see it coming can't we? Now, who will replace the Beckerman? An appointment by Council, no doubt. History shows, it will be a club member with the same ideas as the rest of the pack.    Think they'll open it up to the public to apply and go through the motions to interview people for citizen appeasement, then choose a club person?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 7:29am
"Go through the Motions" is probably a good way to describe it.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 8:43am
According to a story in todays E-Journal:
"Meanwhile, the EMA board is awaiting clarification from the county prosecutor's office whether Becker could serve as director or interim director while holding his elected office. Turner has cited a 1958 Attorney General's opinion that says he can't, while Becker points to the state law that only bars the city's chief executive."

I don't know which law Mr. Becker "points to", but I can point to one that seems perfectly clear:

705.12 Qualifications of members of legislative authority.

Members of the legislative authority of a municipal corporation shall be electors of the municipal corporation. They shall not hold any other public office or employment, except that of notary public or member of the state militia, or state or county central committeeman of a political party, or state or county executive committeeman of a political party, or state or county officer of a political party, and shall not be interested in the profits or emoluments of any contract, job, work, or service for the municipal corporation. Any member who ceases to possess any of the qualifications required by this section shall forthwith forfeit his office. Any contract in which any such member is or becomes interested may be declared void by the legislative authority.

Effective Date: 08-21-1973

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 9:22am
Shouldn't Mr.Becker be replaced by the next-highest at-large vote getter?
If I were that person, I would express interest through the MJ(if that person wanted the job).

If not, let's pick the replacement!
Guesses?
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 9:25am
I think that Bill Becker would be qualified for the position if he resigned from Council and any other public office he may hold.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 10:43am
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Shouldn't Mr.Becker be replaced by the next-highest at-large vote getter?
If I were that person, I would express interest through the MJ(if that person wanted the job). 
If not, let's pick the replacement!
Guesses?
According to law, the council gets to pick any registered elector to fill a vacated seat.  (Becker's seat is an "at large" seat, so as long as the appointee has been both a resident of the city and registered to vote for at least a year, no "Ward" residency is required.)

The "appointed" council  person's term lasts only until the next scheduled city-wide election.  Someone would be elected at the next election (assuming someone runs) to fill the remainder of the unexpired term, until December 31, 2011 in the case of Becker's seat.
retired co View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retired co Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 10:12am
We citizens of Middletonw need to do a house cleaning where city council is concerned . we have term limitations on state elected officials why not in the cities ,villages counties,and townships. New blood new ideas not the same old song and dance we been getting for years. When is that bunch going to wake up to the fact downtown is dead quit spending money on a loser. 
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 10:46am
I think we have some very dedicated council members. Many are new. But I am not pleased with their efforts to work with the Monroe community.

I live in Monroe, but I work in Middletown. I'm Stuck in the Middle
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic