FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown Mayor Mulligan on Section 8 Housing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown Mayor Mulligan on Section 8 Housing
    Posted: Mar 12 2009 at 1:54pm

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2009 at 2:48pm
Man Jonathan that was earth shattering, I don't think I can stand it.  Now we find out that they are going to reduce the Vouchers by 862 by attrition.  Lets see at 1 a week that will be 16.57 years to get to 800 vouchers.  At one a month it will take 71.8 years to get to 800 vouchers.  While a step in the right direction, hardly a bold move that is going to help the city or the business community anytime soon. Thumbs%20Down

Anyone know the turn over rate on the Section 8 Voucher receipients?
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2009 at 3:26pm
Anyone know the turn over rate on the Section 8 Voucher receipients?

Paceman, if you could live in a three bedroom house and someone else pay the rent...why would you move? The answer is not very often unless they get into trouble with the law.
I guess we will just have to wait and see what the numbers are next year at this time.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2009 at 3:35pm
We have the best Section 8 housing program in the area.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2009 at 3:37pm
What about the people who are on the list, standing in line to get a voucher? Will they be removed and the list done away with? How about the Section 8 candidates that have heard about Middletown being the mecca for Section 8 handouts and will come to the city in the coming days, months and years looking for city handouts through CONSOC? Gonna need to cut off the flow of Section 8 candidates into the city, gonna need to cut off the applications for the people who are already here, but are waiting to settle in and direct them to another town in order to reduce the numbers. Gonna need to turn off the tap to lessen the numbers in town. How long do they think the current Section 8 recipients will stay in town if this is going to be done by attrition, assuming attrition means Section 8 numbers will NOT be replaced when these people decide to leave- IF they decide to leave. When does Lawrence think the city will start to see this attrition? The sooner this program is reduced, the sooner the town STARTS to improve it's image.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2009 at 4:16pm
Ding Ding Ding Vivian wins the Prize......my point exactly.

Vet the waiting list should be terminated now, which according to Marconi has 500 people on it. 

All of this mess should have been worked out before giving CONSOC a new contract.

John at 1 Voucher for every 31 residents we have the best program in Ohio.  I have yet to see one that comes close.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2009 at 4:53pm
Paceman
Middletown is now between the rock and the hard place...They have empty houses all over Middletown that need to be occupied...solution...contractors buy the houses for rehab to rent to Section 8 for about $1,000 a month and pay taxes to city.
The families buy groceries, shop at local stores and children attend local schools.
I'm not sure the City can afford to cut back on Section 8 at this time. The problem is they now depend on this program for income. 
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2009 at 5:56pm
Vivian a city can't survive on a population which is so far out of whack economically.  I will bet you the poverty level is now pushing 30% and by the 2010 census will be higher.  Businesses that can't survive fold or leave town.  You're left with the very basics of retail which will not draw new residents to the City.  People may work at the Hospital but they will live elsewhere.  Face it this is a problem that is not going to get better or go away unless we do something proactively about it, waiting only makes it worse.

Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2009 at 7:57pm
Section 8 needs to go away! It is the downfall of this community. Drive up old Roosevelt and look at what some would call the new tri-plexes that are section 8. They rent for $895 a month. How on earth do mess up blinds in your windows? Look at the roofs, the owners do not care and neither do the tennants. Vivian, you talk about them buying groceries, they do, with your money called welfare and WIC.

Don't get me wrong, there may be a need for section 8, but the qualifiers need to be more stringent. In my business I deal with rehabers, they get their rent from a tennant, money from the govt, and they also collect a maintenence fee from the govt each month! Section 8 is about making money and is a system that is broken!

Look at the properties, the residents take no pride in how it looks. They get kicked out of one and move into another!

If counsel had any gonads they would put their foot down and run it out of town like Hamilton did. We talk about pride, it begins at home, and these homes are a disgrace!!!!

It was brought up several weeks ago regarding who the owners of section 8 are. I would like to know how many on counsel are owners. I bet at least 3! JMO
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2009 at 8:14pm
As of January 1, 2009, MPHA, Middletown Public Housing Authority pays:

0 Bedroom         $478.00
1 Bedroom         $566.00
2 Bedroom         $733.00
3 Bedroom         $981.00
4 Bedroom         $1.019.00

MPHA's goal is to provide sufficient housing assistance to families to enable them to afford clean, safe, decent, affordable housing throughout Middletown.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2009 at 8:20pm
Smartman, you are exactly right.  The Council failed to do their civic duty to all of the residents of Middletown, when they refused to give the Section 8 program to Butler County upon recommendation of the City Manager and THEIR PAID CONSULTANT.

Section 8 and the Poverty level in Middletown are directly related and it must be reduced for this City to have any chance of surviving, let alone prosper.  Middletown has taken on the Burden of the rest of the Cities in Butler County to the detriment of Middletown and ALL of its residents.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2009 at 8:33pm
Pacman, what you say is rigt on. I have spoken to a principal in our district about this very thing. They have told me that they can walk the halls in the morning and can smell the poverty. Smells from stale cigerette smoke to urine. This is not what this community is about.

Most of us on this forum have grown up in this town and can remember when it was a great town to live in. We can't relive the past, but we can pick up where we left off. We need to get these folks off counsel and get some people that have large grapefruits to make things happen and stand up to those who have gotten their way and lined their pockets at our expense.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2009 at 9:01pm
Does anyone have a clue how the city plays to cut 862 Vouchers?  If they solely do it through attrition this will take forever.  If they would transfer 862 vouchers to Butler County immediately this would speed up the process considerably.  They would also need to do away with at least 300 names on the waiting list.  It is my understanding that once you have a Section 8 voucher you have it for life or until your income becomes high enough so you no longer qualify or you break the rules.  I also understand once you have the voucher you can move out of Middletown and the voucher goes with you.

Now even transferring 862 vouchers to Butler County which I am not even sure they will, that still leaves Middletown as the most favorable place for the poor to move to in order to get a voucher.  Middletown would average 1 voucher for Evey 64 residents at 800 and Butler County would average about 1 voucher for every 219 residents.

Personally I don't understand why the Council wants to tackle this issue when they don't have to.  it is not like the City Council and City Admin don't have enough on their plate dealing with the issues that effect 100% of the population, whereas Section 8 will deal with about 3.9% of the Population at 800 vouchers.  The Council does not need and I doubt they will continue with the once a month meeting to deal with Section 8 as the Housing Authority.

Personally if the City insists on being in the Section 8 business, they should cut 1262 vouchers from the program and turn them over to Butler and Possibly some to Warren County's.  400 vouchers would be in line with the percentage our population represents in Butler County.  It would also spread the poverty and housing issue throughout Butler and Warren County's more evenly, hopefully.

I wonder how much control CONSOC has over this planned reduction and by basically issuing the contract to CONSOC before the City decided what they were going to do with Section 8 they have as usual put the Cart before the horse.  Why as they so good at doing that?

If anyone knows the plan post it here?

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2009 at 6:56am
Paceman,
The contract with CONSOC isn't completed yet so I don't believe there is an answer yet.
Hoowever I don't believe the City will give you an answer even after the contract because they don't want to  give up the money they receive from this program.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2009 at 9:53am
No but it contains a clause to deal with reduced number of Vouchers from what I have been told.

Vivian is it your contention that the City is putting the entire City at risk to simply get $60,000.00 from the Feds to pay City Employees that touch a piece of paper that deals with Section 8?  VivianI agree the program was grown so rapidly by runaway city employees for the money, but is the City really only worth $60,000.00 from the Feds.

"Mr. Schiavone asked the difference in administrative costs from 2000-2007.Administration costs have doubled. The City is reimbursed about $60,000. Does that cover our costs? The City is shorthanded, how many hours of staff time would that be."

Vivian I guess maybe you are right Marconi seems to think the City,
its reputation and the financial stability are worth only about $60,000.00 per year.

"Mr. Marconi asked how much is spent on employees and if that $60,000 is a floating number. If we get $60,000 per year why would we want to give up administration revenue?"

The Cities Paid Consultant's recommedations:

"Wayne Chapman, former Director of Housing for the City of Cincinnati, with Management Partners Incorporated stated he was retained by the City of Middletown to help determine whether there are better choices than what the City currently has."

"Options were analyzed: contract with current vendor; contract with new vendor; administer with City employees; transfer vouchers to Butler County Housing Authority.

The analysis outcome was: transferring the vouchers to Butler County Metropolitan Housing Authority is the only option that achieves Middletown Housing Agency objectives. The advantages of transferring the vouchers include: provides more decent, safe, sanitary housing choices; initiates regional cooperative effort; more opportunities to match social service needs;

more opportunities to match employment needs; more opportunities to match school needs; reduces the City’s administrative burden; maintains affordable housing throughout the county; does not require current recipients to move and provides housing oriented Board oversight.

The disadvantages of transferring the vouchers include: Middletown Housing Agency may lose the ability to set preferences; may lose a small amount of revenue; will lose direct control over the program; and 11% of Middletown households will be under BMHA funding.

Disadvantages of other options were also discussed. Recipients must live in Middletown initially. There is some disparity because preference is given to Middletown residents on the voucher program. Limiting the choice if you do live outside of Middletown and you do get a voucher you have to move into Middletown for at least one year. There is some effort and expense in moving again so this tends to limit choices. The objective is to provide more choices."

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic