FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whoops! Another Butler County Mistake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whoops! Another Butler County Mistake
    Posted: Mar 15 2009 at 9:36am
Well- now we hear a story from Hamilton that our illustrious Butler County government has overlooked something again. Gee, now we have the IRS asking questions about the perks on county cars, cell phones and uniforms. Seems someone in the old perks/bennies/finance/tax department circuit has "overlooked" what the law is pertaining to claiming these items as taxable. Now, in a cash strapped county government, we are looking at a half million bucks as a fine. Who's in charge down there and who needs to be fired for creating this unnecessary cost to the taxpayer? If you knew you were going to be audited, why didn't you have your act together? How long has this county government been in existence and how long have they been issuing cell phones, uniforms and vehicles to the employees. It certainly did't start yesterday. How many years does one have in a government job to get it right? Incompetence at it's best! Nice job! Some of you government people have got to go.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2009 at 10:03am
All that they need is to two additional commissioners (good Middletown/stealth MMF-ers, of course) added to the County Commission.  That'll straighten 'em out!!!

In no time that'll get the entire county into "just as good" shape as Middletown is in!!!
Yup...there will be nothhing but "good news" and things to "celebrate"!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2009 at 10:14am
Mike that sounds like a bunch of crap to me corrupt corrupt corrupt.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2009 at 10:56am
I just don't know why you guys are being so negitive again. I mean after all they wanted a raise and the county couldn't give them money so they had to give them perks that you couldn't see on the book. And now you want them to pay taxes on the perk? The IRS is just soooo unfair to these poor people...LOL
I'm sure the good people of Butler County will be glad to open their piggy banks and bail the county out of this mess. PigCensored
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2009 at 11:21am
I particularly like this logic:

"Butler County Commissioner Gregory Jolivette said the assessment is unfair and based on a "crazy policy."

While in Washington, D.C., recently, Jolivette urged area lawmakers to push the IRS to exempt the county from the assessment or provide stimulus money to pay it, while changing the tax code regarding fringe benefits.

"It doesn't make governmental sense," Jolivette said, for the federal government to be handing out money to create jobs with one hand and draining local government budgets — which could force layoffs — with the other."

The next time you get a letter from the IRS just tell them it is a "crazy policy" and they are draining your household budget.  Where do these people come from and how do they get elected?

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2009 at 12:42pm
Crazy policy?
Nothing new here.
I have dealt with this issue 4ever, and get the proper tax forms annually.
How can this group of "professionals" be surprised by this?
Did none of them deal with this in their private businesses?

EXAMPLE: I(my company) bought a used 4wd vehicle last fall to use during the inclement weather so I can get aound the town and  to my various business locations. I turn in mileage on & off the job, and recieve a tax form declaring a $$ amount to add in as taxable income for personal use of this vehicle.
Personal usage of a corporate cellular phone=taxable income.

Incompetency at the county level.
Can't blame Obama or the Dems either.

So--should I not declare or refuse to pay taxes on this "additional income" from now on?
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2009 at 1:48pm
Teacher, Teacher! I have the answer...take away the perks and then they won't have to worry their little heads about this problem. (and it will save a few dollars of our tax money)
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2009 at 3:26pm
This issue really bothers me, and is the fundamental reasoning behind the existence of SPIDERJOHN.

SPIDERJOHN is everyman, working hard every day(usually 7 days per week) to provide for himself, his family, and his business associates(not to mention the countless charity and other needy organizations that have his phone # on speed dial).

SPIDERJOHN is honest, treats people with respect, and doesn't complain about paying his share(and often others' responsibilty). The laws have clearly stated FOR YEARS that personal use of corporate vehicles, personal use of cellular phones and computers, etc. constitutes a claim from the govt.branches that such usage is considered taxable income. While SPIDERJOHN may not agree with this opinion, he quietly fills out the necessary forms and declares the "additional income" on his tax forms at every level.

Now one of our illustrious County Commissioners(Mr.Jolivette--a long-time professional politician and occasional small business owner who should know better) is claiming surprise that bureaucratic employees are FINALLY being held to the same standard of accountability concerning personal use of municipally-owned property, also stating this to be "unfair" and a "crazy policy". His further reasoning(posted above and too long to re-produce) is bureaucratic hypocrasy at it's finest.

This is why the SPIDERJOHNs of the cyber-world exist, and are
"MAD AS HELL--AND NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANY MORE"!

Unnerstan Mr.B and everyone else?
Am I being overly sensitive?
Red Onion 2nite?
Great place!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic