FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Council Mtg-March 17th

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Council Mtg-March 17th
    Posted: Mar 29 2009 at 12:50pm
Just watched the Midd. Council mtg again. At the 67 minute mark, Becker talked about the jobs that have been created in town. He stated the future of Middletown is in the 50 to 100 employee companies. He said that, even though these are tough times economically, there were still jobs created in Middletown. He also mentions that the future of Middletown is in the creation of more jobs. I agree with Becker on Middletown's health being in job creation. I have said that for years. However, while I applaud any job that comes to town, I am not overly enthused about being satisfied with targeting only small companies to satisfy this town's thirst for jobs. With small companies come small wages and lowered/no benefits. Some small companies can't pay the types of wages that will allow a working person a chance to experience a reasonable standard of living. Wages that are in the $7. to $12/ hour range, in today's society, doesn't translate into worker income needs. Shouldn't Becker and the others be aiming higher than that? Would Becker and the others be willing to work those jobs for those wages/benefits? Doubtful they would-(doubtful they could). I don't understand being content with "industrial park" and "call center" wage jobs that sometimes offer "less than survival" opportunities. There are reasons why these companies have "employee revolving doors" and are not "employment stable". Why make them the only job source? Let's do better than that. Other towns have.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2009 at 1:55pm
Good post, Vet!!  You are right on the money!!  Thumbs%20Up
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2009 at 2:15pm
Vet where in Middletown would you put a company with 750-1000 $50k a year jobs?  How would you attract those company's to even locate to Middletown in its current condition?  When companies are looking for land to build a long the I-75 Corridor I doubt Middletown is even given a first glance by most companies.

Would you locate a fortune 500 company not associated with the Steal industry in Middletown after you just did the most simplest of searches on Google and came back with:

High Poverty

Low Education

Poor Performing Schools

Poor City Maintenance on its Infrastructure

A Section 8 program that is grossly out of balance with the rest of Ohio and not likely to improve anytime soon.

A City that can not even maintain the basics of retail establishments

A Chamber that is not proactive in any of the listed problems

A City with a bad rep of dealing with Businesses

A City which is now going to enforce codes on its Citizens that it itself violates on a regular basis, and uses the same excuse we don't have the funds.

A City that spends an inordinate amount of time on issues which affect the smallest Number of Citizens in the City, for example Section 8  going on 2 years, Grants to buy and demolish 54 houses or rehab houses so more poor citizens can come to Middletown, spends an inordinate amount of time on pools, trees, parks all the while the city is crumbling around their Castle Downtown.

Honestly Vet and the rest of you what can Middletown hope for other than the 50-100 job businesses, if they are lucky, and then most of those execs will live outside of the City as many of the Cities top employees.

$7-12.00 jobs are the norm in Middletown while the top Wage earner downtown makes $61.00 Plus per hr. based on a 2080 hr year.

But hey lets all just pretend that Middletown has no problems or issues that need to be solved and tell ourselves everthing is just honky dorey.

MIDDLETOWN HAS A BRIGHT FUTURE.  Can someone please tell us all when that future will be here....anytime in the next 20-50 years, I doubt it, at the rate things are currently progressing.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2009 at 9:38pm
Pacman- you list very good reasons why any company, large or small, would be reluctant to locate here. I agree that the list is overwhelming as to the negative. The purpose of my post was to address Becker's stance on his comments as to job opportunites here ie- being content with lower wage jobs and considering that as a real accomplishment. Incredible as it may seem, the people running this town apparently don't think that job creation is a top priority to promote spending which will create money flow which will trigger town improvements and stimulate and attract new businesses. There is no reason why the leaders couldn't work on the list of negatives from your post while working simultaneously on luring new jobs. If the city works on that list of negatives to eliminate them first, in order to attract new jobs, he--, we'll never see another company locate here for twenty years at the earliest. We are between a rock and a hard place here. The leaders have taken this town from a prosperous one that should be able to attract decent jobs/more people to a town that is unappealing to families and new companies, financially desperate, and woefully lacking in common sense thinking as to having a workable game plan for success. We have no good leaders nor thinkers in key positions. The good leaders and good thinkers have been driven away by the hopelessness of the situation that these incompetent people have created. What we, the citizens, have to select from are people who are like the ones that ruined the town in the first place. How do we find a group of people who will completely change the direction that this city has been heading for the last 30 years???? We are not going to make any progress with the current bunch. They are worthless. Good Lord this is frustrating!!!!!!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2009 at 10:24pm

Great post, Pacman!!!  You also are spot on!!

So now, Vet has expressed an accurate view of what is happening in Middletown and why it is not enough to turn our City around.  He has also expressed an opinion as to what it will take to do so.

But Pacman has expressed an accurate view as to what ails Middletown, and how it relates to Vet's view of what is happening here.  Pacman adds his opinion (backed by facts, I must say) as to why Vet's solution is highly unlikely to occur.

This leaves us with quite a conundrum.  I am unsure as to what the solution is, and I doubt that anyone else is.

But of a few things I am certain:
  1. MIddletown is NOT "booming" as some of our city officials might have you believe.
  2. The present City Council with its phoney baloney "council/citizen's sub-committees", its micro-managing, and its interminable delays over the most mundane decisions is NOT the answer.
  3. Keeping our heads in the sand and a pretty "smiley face" on our butts, as our ruling class seems to keep demanding is fruitless.
  4. There should not be two sets of rules (one for the denizens of City Hall, their well-heeled handlers, and the local schmoozers and hangers-on, and a different one for us "little people").

The citizenry must WAKE UP and make changes, and we MUST start no later than the November election when the FOUR ward seats on City Council are up for grabs! 

We MUST field at least one candidate from each ward with our fair CITY's best at heart, and no bag full of conflicts of interest, nor sneaky handlers who pull their strings.

We MUST do it this November or it will probably be too late!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2009 at 10:31pm
I agree Vet those in charge have become complacent with the current status quo and carry on the only way they know and understand, which is bad news for the City of Middletown and its residents.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2009 at 10:59pm
Vet, Pacman &Mike,
        I have read over your posts this evening three times. They are the best and strongest blogs I have ever seen anywhere. They are right, poignant and very sad. You all have a true picture of what the situation is in our city. The sad thing about it is that so many hundreds and thousands of lives are so negatively affected.
       The majority of our present council is part of the cause. Our so-called city leaders are even more of  the cause and the rest of us must take the rest of the blame for not educating enough citizens to make the necessary changes at the poles and otherwise.
        There are things that can be done even in our present economical situation to bring good businesses and high paying jobs to Middletown but those plans have fallen on deaf ears. They don't want to take the action necesary to turn the city around. They also have no solutions and are filled with excuses and greed and their consciences are not burdened with the plight of the citizenry but with their own special interests. Until we the citizens make the changes nothing will change. When will we do it?
          How  tragic for our children and grandchildren.
         Thank you for caring enough to express your very strong and right views.
                                   Paul Nagy

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2009 at 7:37am
Pacman- Where would I put companies with 750-1000 50K jobs? How about the land in the Wal-Mart area? How about some of the land just east of I-75 in the Union Road area? Is there land south of the Union Road/122 intersection that could be used? There's vacant land across from Robin Springs. All of this land is close to I-75, centrally located from Cincy and Dayton for commuters and has eating ammentities near for the employees. If the city is talking about buying the Towne Mall, tear it down (or reconfigure it) to lure high tech businesses or communication companies- maybe a corporate tech center. The structure is already there with ample parking and, again, easy access to I-75 and ammenities, AND, would make a real nice professional entrance to the city to see a tech center coming into town. Doesn't have to relate to the steel industry anymore in this town. Time to let the steel theme go and change to a more diversified choice in companies. JMO.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2009 at 9:35am
Wow--just what 750-1000 job $50k+ companies that are looking to move into the areas do you have in mind? There propbably aren't many of them out there. We must take what we can get until we land a few big fish.

All great and wonderful listing the negative reasonings for such employers/workers to avoid this area, however compiling that list is too easy. We all know about those issues, and tey have been common knowledge for years. Fixing them is the job, and no one seems to be getting there.

We complain about Council, yet we can't seem to find qualified others(who can excite the voting public) to replace them. All 4 ward incumbants have expressed a desire to run again, and few to none(Mr.Soppanish) have vocalised a desire to challenge and serve. Time to ramp up the candidate search b4 it is too late. No one posting here could get elected(except me of course!), so we must find at least two or three quality challengers who will bring forth alternative solutions to the issues instead of constantly listing the obvious problems.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2009 at 9:43am
Didn't Mr. Barge state that he might run again if his health permits?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2009 at 9:47am
Hey Spider make it 500 jobs or 400 jobs, take your pick.  Until the issues listed and others are worked out and some improvement made.  You will get exactly what you said, "We must take what we can get" because you aren't going to land any big fish under the present circumstances. 

Thomas Jefferson
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2009 at 12:07pm
Vivian- I believe (could be wrong) that Mr. Barge lives out of town( Lebanon perhaps) and is probably not eligible to run. ????? Anyone know for sure? All we need is 4 out of 7 on our side to start the change in direction this town needs. It is a shame that Pacman, Mike, Spider and others can't run for various reasons. That's the problem. The club opposition can't find the time and/or resources to change the balance of power within the Council.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2009 at 12:49pm
Mr. Barge lives in town (Ward 1) but has health issues.  I have heard rumblings of a new, young person considering running in Ward 4.

I agree with Spider that we need new candidates, and I urge anyone interested in running to contact me if they have questions regarding the "hows" or "whats" of doing so.  I would be pleased to discuss the mechanics of becoming a candidate and/or the basics of campaigning with them.

Who knows?  If I like their views and stances, I might even help to the best of my ability.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2009 at 1:54pm

Like Mr.P mentioned, IF we could get a couple of quality,qualified newbies to challenge, we could probably ramp up the necessary support towards being elected. If these bodies emerge, I will give them full and active support.

Once the ball would start rolling, an avalanche of support could well develop. Very few from any viewpoint are happy with what is going on with Council and admin. None of the hopeful returnees have a high level of support, and I don't see any of them exciting the MMF group(either MMF group).

Actually ANY of the posters here could make a good run(and I was kidding about myself getting elected--though I would love to try it(at large or Mayor) to turn our whole election process on it's head into a whole new type of campaigning). I actually don't think the right candidates would need any funding at all. The MMF raised a lot of funding un-necessarily last time out imo. Mulligan and Becker were shoe-ins regardless.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2009 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

... I would love to try it(at large or Mayor) to turn our whole election process on it's head into a whole new type of campaigning). I actually don't think the right candidates would need any funding at all. The MMF raised a lot of funding un-necessarily last time out imo. Mulligan and Becker were shoe-ins regardless.

Spider: I can understand why you would prefer an at-large or mayoral run, since I believe that you would get a lot of support in the other wards.  (I believe that I am correct in my assumption that you reside in Ward 1, aren't I?)

But the next at-large/mayoral election is not until 2011.  That may be TOO LATE, in my humble opinion.  Please think about a Ward 1 run. 

I remain available at your convience if you would like to discuss it, or just have someone off of whom to bounce ideas.  Feel free to call me.
Gary Barge View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Barge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 6:53pm
No I do not live in Lebanon. I live in the first ward and have for many years. I ran in "07 for the at-large seat and got a lot of votes. My health issues would not prohibit me from running for council. I spent close to $10,000 of my own money so if someone would want to sponser me this year I would be more than happy to run for the first ward. But I can't compete with the "old money" here in town spending $25,000 + on their candidates. I will I will announce whether or not I am running when the time comes.  Thanks for everyones interest.
Gary Barge
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 10:42pm
Sorry, Gary.  I did not mean to speak for you.  I had heard that you were down in the back and had ruled out a run this fall, but I certainly should have chosen my words more carefully.

Let me know if I can help.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2009 at 6:38am
Gary- Hope you do decide to run for the 1st Ward seat. If you do, just show the people a typical Council meeting- any meeting- and focus on Armbruster and his participation (or lack of participation) and the content of what he says when he does wake up and decide to speak. His talk has absolutely no substance. Assembling a list of his accomplishments during his tenure should be short and lacking any real "meat and potatoes". He's a surface fluff guy who talks about parks and trees. Shouldn't be too hard to unseat this guy on content alone. Difficulty will be gathering enough votes to overcome the power broker club influence at the polls.
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Barge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2009 at 11:58am
That is ok Mike
Thanks for all the info you
Gary Barge
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Barge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2009 at 12:03pm
HI vietVet

Ill do joust that
Thanks
Gary Barge
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic