FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Promise" v. "Guarantee"??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Promise" v. "Guarantee"??
    Posted: Mar 29 2009 at 10:54pm
Can anyone explain the latest "Middletown Mystery"???

On the one hand, Price and The Journal tout "The Middletown Promise" (Free tuition at Miami U., Middletown Campus") as a great way to keep young, educated, promising wage-earners here in Middletown as taxpayers and city leaders.  (Of course, we have never heard exactly how we will accomplish this, or how it will be funded, but Price trots this "Promise" out whenever he wants to land-grab for tax funding.)  Price thinks this is just the ticket for Franklin Township citizens, and should bring them willingly into the MCSD.

On the other hand, Price and The Journal have recently been touting the "UT Guarantee" (University of Toledo's name for a similar program at their school for Seniors with a 3.0 GPA).

Now I'm old and have suffered blows to the head, so I shouldn't be expected to "get" this on my own.

Can anyone explain it to me???  (Type slowly, and I'll do my best to keep up!!)

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2009 at 6:48am
Mike- haven't heard of anyone being able to go to MUM free of charge as yet. Don't think Price's "promise" of Midd. schools working with MUM to provide a college education was a go from the beginning. Just his way of luring students to up the numbers in his district of declining enrollment and students defecting to other districts/charter schools. The whole "promise" seems to be a lie. Haven't heard from Kelly Cowan from MUM on the issue lately either. Seems it died on the vine. Journal/Price statement- "great way to keep young, educated, promising wage-earners here in Middletown as taxpayers and city leaders" draws a comment from me as to the educated/city leaders part. In my opinion, having an education doesn't necesssarily qualify one to be a city leader. Just look at the group of so-called educated people we have running the asylum now. Pathetic. None of these young people are going to stay and work here after college. No jobs to choose from and they will leave out of frustration with the way the city is being run. We'll know about the Toledo/3.0GPA/UT Guarantee program when we hear about the participation from this year's crop of seniors and whether it is a lie like the Price "Promise". (This program may just "fade away" over time like the "promise") Fabricated nonsense seems to do that.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2009 at 7:21am
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2009 at 9:26am
Pac,
I last read about it three weeks ago:

Middletown attorney: Land transfer case unique

Middletown district has said it would reimburse Franklin City Schools for revenue loss.

• BYLINE:    Meagan Engle Staff Writer mengle@coxohio.com
  • DATE: March 11, 2009
  • PUBLICATION: Middletown Journal (OH)
  • SECTION: LOCAL.
    COLUMBUS - Middletown City School District's request for the transfer of 1,600 acres of land is a case unlike any other, Middletown attorney Thomas Allen told a panel of judges. ...

Allen said the decision to deny the transfer was contrary to law because key points were ignored by the referee who first recommended the transfer be denied, such as the "Middletown Promise," ...

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
    arwendt View Drop Down
    MUSA Official
    MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2009 at 11:02am
    Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Can anyone explain the latest "Middletown Mystery"???

On the one hand, Price and The Journal tout "The Middletown Promise" (Free tuition at Miami U., Middletown Campus") as a great way to keep young, educated, promising wage-earners here in Middletown as taxpayers and city leaders.

But back to the same old problem... what would they do if they stayed?
    “Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
    MUSA Council
    MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2009 at 12:53pm
    Perhaps live here and work in Cincinnati, Dayton, or even West Chester?  Or perhaps at Atrium, AK, or Cohen Bros.?

I dunno!!!  It wasn't my idea.  Ask Mr. Price, or whoever else it was that came up with the "Promise"!!!
     Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic