FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Meanwhile, back at the ranch…

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meanwhile, back at the ranch…
    Posted: Apr 01 2009 at 3:47pm

Sometimes things may not really be what they seem.

Sometimes, when things don’t seem to make sense, one should stop, take a deep breath, assume the “Lotus position”, clear one’s mind, and simply cogitate.

That‘s what I did last night concerning the all of these City code violation letters. (Okay, okay…I admit it. I can’t actually get MY body into the “Lotus position”!)

Here is what I trying to get my mind around:

With no prior notice, or public warning of any kind, someone (but we don’t know who) decided that it was time to make a sweep of the entire city looking for what The Middletown Journal has described as “various issues” and “property code infractions”.

Doug Atkins, whose title I believe to be “interim director of the Community Revitalization Department”, seems to have inherited quite a mess, what with the “rehab versus demo” debacle, the $1 houses that have gone way over budget being rehabilitated and seem to be sure money losers for our city, and the like, so why would one of his first moves (as an employee just transferred into a new slot and just getting oriented) be to open this new city-wide can of worms ?

City Hall has emphasized to the public that staff has been cut to the bone, that staff is over-worked, and that staff is performing in an Herculean and exemplary manner just to keep the city running, given the severe budget cuts that have been made. Yet, somehow the manpower and time was found to make this city-wide sweep, process all of the paperwork, issue the letters, offer finance processing assistance, and (presumably) follow up on all of the inspections and enforcement that these “various issues” will require.

With the economy being what it is and unemployment skyrocketing, it seems like a most inopportune and mean-spirited time for the city to be taking this action, especially with no warning.

According to The Journal, the city admits that they expected "to be beaten black and blue over this" and expected citizens to be “calling in angry about receiving the letters,". So why do it without at least “celebrating an opportunity” to show “pride in action” by advising the citizenry well ahead of time with frequent reminders to lessen the adverse reaction?

Has overtime been required for this and ensueing operations? Will it be?  Will overtime be necessary for these employees to catch up with whichever of their normal duties had to be neglected to perform all of this extra work?  If not, is the city overstaffed?

This “sweep” and its attendant paperwork has NOT been performed in the past, when the city was more fully staffed. What were these employees doing for this period in years past? Why didn’t these same employees have time to enforce the sign ordinance at Hizzoner’s now defunct joint? It shouldn’t have taken long…many high muck-a-mucks from City Hall had to walk right by egregious violations in order to enter the place--and they DID enter the place.

So, what does all of this mean??? I don’t know! How can we make sense of it all??

Well, I can’t speak for anyone else, but despite hours of chanting every mantra that I know I’ve only been able to make sense of it in ONE way:

By considering the ol’ “MIS-DIRECTION” trick.

No one has mentioned the $1 house rehab debacle recently have they?

And more importantly, we never did find out ANYTHING about “Moving Middletown Forward”, did we??? In fact, it hasn’t even been mentioned in this forum since the “rusty gutters” problem emerged!!!

Ooohhh, we got trouble…

Right here in Middie City…

And that starts with “T”,

and that rhymes with “G”,

and that staaaaaaands for--

gutters????

Meanwhile, what’s going on back at the ranch???

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2009 at 4:05am

Mike
    Every time I sit in front of my computer I’m in the “Lotus Position”…have you been peeking? Big%20smile

I also thought that the City didn't have the manpower to inspect the entire City in such a short time....so maybe they had a nice group of volunteers to help them inspect all these houses . I don't think they have inspected all the wards yet.
    Over the past 5 years I have requested numerous times for areas around the cemetery to be cleaned up and I was told that the Citycould not force the property owners to do anything. So this morning I sent an email with photos attached to Mr. John Adkins requesting these areas be cleaned up since they are a code violation. I'm sure he will have time to write a few more letters
this morning so we will all have PRIDE IN OUR CITY.
I'm sooo glad that 30 days from now the areas around the cemetery will be Spic & Span.
.....and after all Mike what could be worse than a "Rusty Gutter" in your neighborhood? Wink
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2009 at 7:27am
The old "deflection" move by the city doggies, eh? Are you suggesting that when a "hot spot" of information develops and it involves and incriminates our city leaders, they tell the Journal to do some "deflection journalism" to throw us off the beaten path? Has that happened before, Mike? Are they capable of such devious tactics? Bad publicity stories for them do have a habit of going away rather quickly don't they? They're banking on us forgetting the past, but nooooo... guys like you, Mike, won't let it rest, will you?   
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2009 at 9:27am

I really like Mr. Adkins, he answers phones and emails. So here is his answer:

From Doug Adkins
   “Over the winter months, all areas of
Middletown were inspected.  As a result of those winter inspections, 2500 letters noting potential violations were sent in March of this year.  Larry Tuttle, Middletown’s Chief Building Official, oversees the inspectors and is responsible for Code Enforcement. Mr. Tuttle reports to me.”

makeadifference View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makeadifference Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2009 at 10:08am

I think the city should focus on the properties they bought over 4 years ago ($1 homes) and get those in order.  Maybe we should send them a citation to remind them of what is expected.  If the city sends out  a letter now for something that needed fixed in the winter - it might be a little late and offensive if the problem was already fixed.  There is some repair work (like gutters) that you can not fix when you have a huge snow storm in Jan.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2009 at 1:42pm
"As a result of those winter inspections, 2500 letters noting potential violations were sent in March of this year."

What the hell is a "Potential Violations", does that mean you possibly violated some ordinance, but we are not sure, but we are going to tag you with it anyways.

I wonder if all of those rusty fences and BackStops owned by the city around town are "Potential Violations".......Ermm
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2009 at 2:42pm
“Over the winter months, all areas of Middletown were inspected. ..."
So, did Mr. Adkins explain how his inspectors missed the HUGE, EGREGIOUS sign ordinance violations at the junction????
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
scrapmonkey View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrapmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2009 at 3:36pm
In other words Middletown is extremely "desperate". The Forbes rating told the people with money that their town isn't what it seemed. Then that brought out of the woodwork the people that said,"clean up the city & they will come". Well guess what,no one is coming.
scrapmonkey

"Civilization begins with order,grows with liberty,and dies with chaos"~Will Duran
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2009 at 3:44pm
Pacman
"Potential Violations"… Well I think that would be a great question to put to Council on April 7th.
Hmmm…I think they could have gotten their quota just walking down
Central and First Ave. I just don’t believe that they inspected ALL the City and ONLY came up with 2,500 violations or this was just a quick drive-by inspection by the City Inspectors.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2009 at 4:05pm
Well, Vivian I doubt they included City LandWink, MUMWink, AK Steel Outer AreaWink, etc., etc., etc.  And since they were looking at Obivious Violations and "Potential Violations"Ouch it may have taken a while on the "Potential" Ones.   Anyone heard of any business getting a "Potential Letter" from the City.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic