FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Council Housing Meeting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Council Housing Meeting
    Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 12:40pm
Just glancing at Gilleland's Report for July 27 on the city's site. Noticed that the Council meeting, airport commission meeting, Board of Health meeting, Planning Commission meeting and most other meetings were in the evening hours, making it possible for citizens to attend if desired. Also noticed that the Council Housing Meeting is routinely scheduled for 8 AM on a workday. Something to this perhaps? Can the general public attend the Council Housing meetings or are they "off limits" for the common folks? Wonder why this one meeting is scheduled differently than the rest?    
Doug Adkins View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Adkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 2:49pm

The Housing Committee picks its scheduled meeting time.  I can only tell you that it has been at that time since I came upstairs in March.  it is a public meeting and members of the public and the press routinely attend.   Some of the housing items everyone seems to be worried about are put out in a monthly report at that meeting and given to the press and members in attendance.  We're subject to the public records laws of Ohio.  With very few legal exceptions, any information in my office is available to the public....

Doug Adkins
Community Revitalization Director
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 3:06pm

Mr. Adkins what about the meeting Minutes for the Middletown Public Housing Agency, which is basically the City Council?  It is my understanding that they have now been meeting monthly, yet I have been unable to find any Minutes from their meetings.

On another note who now makes up the Housing Committee?

Thank you in advance for coming here and clearing up some of these matters.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 3:31pm
Thank you Mr. Adkins for the reply. For a person who works out of town from 7AM to 4PM, it makes the 8AM meeting impossible to attend. Wondered if the meeting time could be moved to an evening hour time slot or, as Pacman suggests, the meeting notes be publicly posted on the City of Middletown site as the planning, parks and other committee meetings are posted? Are the meetings on TV Middletown? If not, might be another avenue to allow the public to see what is going on. Thanks again for the reply.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 11:06pm
Mr. Adkins:
Thank you once again for braving this forum.

Given the following GENERAL LAW from the ORC:

731.05 Powers of legislative authority.

The powers of the legislative authority of a city shall be legislative only, it shall perform no administrative duties,...

what is your opinion on the City Council also being the Middletown Public Housing Authority (or is it "Agency"?), an ADMINISTRATIVE body???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Adkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2009 at 8:13am
Generally speaking, Council can serve on administrative body's that it creates.   Council created the MPHA in 1978 through legislation at that time.  There is a whole body of municipal law that governs what they can and can't do.  You can't take one section of one statute and take it out of context.  Council is well within its authority.  If you need more information on legal issues, I'm going to defer to the Law Director, who deals with this body of law every day.

There is a tremendous amount of factually incorrect information on this forum.  I wouldn't mind correcting inaccuracies, but over this summer I've been called the property nazi, a member of the mafia, etc.  If people are just going to sling mud and name call, it really doesn't make any sense to waste my time in the trenches.
Doug Adkins
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Adkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2009 at 8:35am
Viet Vet,

I don't control scheduling, so I can't answer whether the meeting could or would be moved.  I think it totally appropriate to post the meeting minutes online and with those minutes my monthly housing report.  Give me a month or two and I'll work on getting the minutes and the monthly excel report posted on the Com. Rev. portion of the City website.  If you want hard copies of the last couple meetings, I'd be happy to mail them out to you.  If you'd like to send your contact info in an email to me, you can reach me at douga@cityofmiddletown.org.
Doug Adkins
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2009 at 9:26am
Mr.Adkins--thank you very much for taking the time to come here to clarify information,answer ?s and participate in, honestly, the only open ? and answer forum in the community. As you are well aware. Council "is not set up to answer citizens ?s" during Council meetings and the citizens' comments portion(their only opportunity to directly address Council on relavant important topics). Conversations with Council have denigrated to self-centered municipal propaganda fests.

Your demeanor and factual clarifications are tremendously helpful in correcting mis-information andhelping to understand your new position(never fully explained to the community). This is a huge breakthrough between citizens and Council/Admin that has been far too long in coming. Hopefully your efforts and opening the door to necessary constructive discussion will go a LONG way towards uniting the citizens and government towards working in unison to solve our many complicated issues.

As for being called a few names and mudslinging, don't consider yourself unique or singled out. That unfortunate tactic comes from all sides and targets virtually everyone at some time. Maybe we should all meet downtown in the fortress and share a beer while we agree to disagree(lol).

I imagine your time is tight, as your responsibilities are huge.
Still--the discourse here will go a long way towards an open bond with those you serve, and just MAYBE more municipal voices will join in. As dialogue opens and becomes more constructive, I doubt that the name-calling etc. will continue.

BTW--not impressed at all with the new prosecutor. Seems more concerned with pleasing Ms.Brandenburg, creating court costs, probation fees while little concern or contact with victims. He is extremely detached from the business community, who needs his involvement more than ever as the local economic situation lingers.

Without future expansion of this open, constructive dialogue, the city will continue to lose public confidence and support, which will show dynamically at the ballot box in the future. Don't expect any new tax issues to pass, and any renewals will be hard-pressed to continue. Look for new faces next year also.

jmo
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2009 at 10:29am
Mr Adkins - I would like to thank you for answering questions on this forum.  I think it is very important for city management to stay in contact with the general public to see what is important to them.  With the economy the way it is right now, it is even more important then what it was a few years ago.  When things get bad, is when people come out of the woodwork and start throwing stones. 
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2009 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Doug Adkins Doug Adkins wrote:

Generally speaking, Council can serve on administrative body's that it creates.   Council created the MPHA in 1978 through legislation at that time.  There is a whole body of municipal law that governs what they can and can't do.  You can't take one section of one statute and take it out of context.  Council is well within its authority.  If you need more information on legal issues, I'm going to defer to the Law Director, who deals with this body of law every day.
Mr. Adkins:  I disagree, and will do more research regarding "legislative only", "no other public office", etc.  However, I am disappointed that you defer to the Law Director when asked for an opinion. 
Originally posted by Doug Adkins Doug Adkins wrote:

There is a tremendous amount of factually incorrect information on this forum.  I wouldn't mind correcting inaccuracies, but over this summer I've been called the property nazi, a member of the mafia, etc.  If people are just going to sling mud and name call, it really doesn't make any sense to waste my time in the trenches.
Mr. Adkins:  Those who have followed this forum (or the past Middletown Journal forums when they were open to be freely posted in) know that I welcome correction when I am in error on FACTS.  One of my goals is to be accurate.  I do hope that you will correct any inaccuracies IN FACT or IN LAW that you see in any of my posts!!!

However, I must ask you to QUOTE, and cite the source, where I have ever called YOU a nazi, mafioso, or any similar derogatory term.

With me, you will pretty much get what you give, be it civil discourse, heated debate, witty banter, biting satire, or anything else.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Adkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2009 at 7:41am
Mike,

I'm new to the forum.  I'll work on learning how to use the various functions including the quote function.  Until then, you'll have to bear with me.  As I remember it, I don't think it was you name calling.  As to defering to the Law Director, my position is required to defer to the Law Director for legal questions concerning the City's operation.  As Com. Rev. Dir. I will ALWAYS defer to the Law Director on legal quesitons. 

I think your research will show that I am right on this particular issue.  This Board is no different than Council serving on the Park Board, Golf Advisory Board, etc.  Parma's council is also it Housing Board, and I think you will find this practice is the most common form of Board when the City runs the Housing program and not the County or some regional body.

Doug Adkins
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Adkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2009 at 7:44am
It will take me some time to learn the functions including the quote function, so bear with me.  I don't believe it was you who was name calling.

As Com. Rev. Dir. I will ALWAYS defer to the Law Director on legal questions regarding the City operations, etc.  I am required to do so.  He would defer to me on Revitalization questions.  I'm not going to put my job in jepoardy by jumping the organizational chain of command.

I think your research will show that Council serving as the Housing Board is a common practice nationwide where the City is the governing body and not the county or some regional body.
Doug Adkins
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Adkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2009 at 7:50am

My position was part of a restructuring of the City departments last year.  I oversee all housing functions, HUD programs, Section 8, Weatherwax Golf Course, Building Inspection, the Community Center, diversity, Code Enforcement, and the transit (bus) system.

The new prosecutor is just a fill in while Carrie Carpenter is out on maternity leave.  My position came open at the same time she was getting ready to deliver her baby.  It has caused some confusion and disruption of the Prosecutor's Office over the summer.  Carrie is due back mid-August and the Law Dept will make some decisions regarding a new Asst. Prosecutor and things should calm back down and become more routine again.

Doug Adkins
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2009 at 8:54am
Mr. Adkins:
To "quote" just look above and to the right of the message you want quote.  You can either click on "Quote", which will take you immediately to the reply box with the deired message in a box.  You may also accomplish this via a pull-down menu by clicking on "Post options" (also in the upper right hand corner of the message).
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2009 at 9:43am
Mr. Adkins- I fortunately have not had much interaction with the city of Middletown's criminal division with the exception of a minor traffic violation or two, but I always found you to be extremely fair, balanced, and willing to resolve issues; I therefore was disappointed to see you leave that position. However, by you making such an earnest attempt to participate in this forum demonstrates you have carried that same spirit of cooperation and balance with you to the new position, which is quite commendable. Your response is perfectly normal; you would properly defer legal questions to the person having that responsibility for the city. I can't comment on name calling (as I have no knowledge of what has transpired), but I can state I have always felt both you and the former Springboro prosector, Mr. Sharts, were the most tempered and equitable prosecutors in the area. I would hold anyone with any problem associated with compliance would find Mr. Adkins very fair and reasonable to work with. I state this with the upmost in objectivity and dealings with him previously when he was always responsive, respectful, and polite.  
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out. - Will Rogers
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic