FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good Editorial from the MJ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good Editorial from the MJ
    Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 8:32am
Middletown and all City's in Ohio should be pushing for these changes in the State:

Layoffs not only government option

11:50 AM Monday, August 3, 2009

Gov. Ted Strickland keeps saying that he thinks there will be a second federal stimulus.

His hope for another bailout comes up a lot because Ohio would be insolvent California today if it weren’t for the $5 billion-plus that Washington has sent to the state. This one-time money creates the illusion that Ohio’s budget is balanced.

Without another injection of federal aid, Ohio could be $8 billion short in two years. The coming shortfall will exist in spite of multibillions being cut from the current budget. Put another way: If you’re unhappy now about cuts to libraries or programs that keep seniors in their homes, just wait.

Moreover, that’s the best-case scenario. The belief is widespread that more slashing will be required to get through the next two years and that it will begin again soon.

Ohio — from state government to school districts and townships — can’t pin its hope on a federal government that is awash in red ink. Moreover, there’s no way that, as the state keeps cutting, local taxpayers will fill in the losses that roll down hill by approving more and more levies and tax increases.

The stimulus gives Ohio — and counties, cities and schools — a window. They can use it well or squander it. But there isn’t a local government or school district in the region that can keep doing what it’s always done the way it’s always done things.

And because so much of any government’s costs are tied to personnel, there’s no way to reduce costs without cutting spending on employees.

This is not a call to war with public employees or their unions. That said, the hard fact is that if government is going to reduce its expenses, buying fewer paper clips will not do it.

Voters should not let their elected officials off the hook by passively accepting that laying off people is the only answer. Communities should not be held hostage to the argument that mass layoffs — and punishing service cuts — are the only option.

In fact, there are myriad changes in contracts, practices, work rules and state law that can reduce government spending without destroying the fabric of public services.

For instance:

• The “step system,” wherein public employees and teachers for many years and in quick succession get two raises annually — one for time on the job, one as a cost-of-living adjustment — is horrendously expensive and masks the increases employees really are receiving. (Moreover, in hard times, when salary freezes are imposed, the freezes don’t always apply to the step raises.)

• Public employee pensions are phenomenally generous, and they reward people with cushy deals at ages that are unheard of in the private sector. In addition, the pensions discourage natural turnover once a person has any significant time on the job. Creating what amounts to “golden handcuffs” results in a work force that is generally older and more expensive.

• The state law that requires binding arbitration when police and fire unions can’t reach agreement forces managers to make offers they can’t really afford in order to appear reasonable. Arbitrators can’t modify either side’s last and best offer; they have to pick one’s side proposal.

• Overtime is a racket, especially in police and fire departments because of holiday pay and contracts that allow too many first-responders to be off at the same time, resulting in others being called in and paid premium wages.

• Some governments let employees cash out large amounts of unused sick leave when they quit or retire.

Public service is important, even dangerous, work. Communities need talented and exceptional people choosing it as a career. But Ohio is not the rich state it once was, and that’s true for local communities, too. Perks that were affordable once are not any more.

Some of the unavoidable changes can only come from the state — pension and collective bargaining reforms, for example.

But other savings will require local elected officials and administrators to speak truth to workers and to their communities about what each can expect in a new day.

Bailouts are not forever. Some problems we created ourselves and have to fix on our own.

Cox News Service

lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 12:17pm
Why do you hate working people so bad?

Let's exam this for a moment.

• The “step system,” wherein public employees and teachers for many years and in quick succession get two raises annually — one for time on the job, one as a cost-of-living adjustment — is horrendously expensive and masks the increases employees really are receiving. (Moreover, in hard times, when salary freezes are imposed, the freezes don’t always apply to the step raises.)

This is a Contract issue. deal with it at Contract time if you don't like it. It amazes me how People seem  to think it is fine if Howard Stern gets $100mil out of a radio Contract even when it nearly Bankrupts the Company (XM) yet think it is terrible that some Fireman makes out by the terms of the contract that His/Her Supervisory System agreed to. Are you Jealous?

• Public employee pensions are phenomenally generous, and they reward people with cushy deals at ages that are unheard of in the private sector. In addition, the pensions discourage natural turnover once a person has any significant time on the job. Creating what amounts to “golden handcuffs” results in a work force that is generally older and more expensive.

See above.

• The state law that requires binding arbitration when police and fire unions can’t reach agreement forces managers to make offers they can’t really afford in order to appear reasonable. Arbitrators can’t modify either side’s last and best offer; they have to pick one’s side proposal.

See above...Geeez, this is getting tiring. It is like Kindergarten.

• Overtime is a racket, especially in police and fire departments because of holiday pay and contracts that allow too many first-responders to be off at the same time, resulting in others being called in and paid premium wages.

Above!

• Some governments let employees cash out large amounts of unused sick leave when they quit or retire.

Above!

Sounds to me like Public Employee Management in Ohio is run by a bunch of Whiners that don't want to live with what they agree to. Say no at contract time if the Terms are unacceptable.

I think I will call up my Mortgage Co and tell them that I want the Interest Rate that is available now, rather than the one that was going rate when I got my Mortgage. I am sure tjey will say "Fine, we will tear up the signed agreement we have that says You are to pay the higher rate and will let you have the now lower rate. A signed Contract does not mean anything to us!".

Get a grip. You sound like my 12 yr old Niece with all the whining!

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 12:54pm
No. 1, I did not write the above editorial, the Journal did so you get a grip and stop acting like an A$$.

Irisner the system in its current financial state can not afford to operate under the above standards that are FORCED on it by State Law.  As Becker stated last night the City is facing a $1.8 million deficit.  The Public Safety Contracts are basically a big lose, lose for the city, if the Police/Fire don't agree to the contract, it goes to forced arbitration and the City usually looses.

As far as Stern goes I am not paying his salary and could care less.

As far as your mortgage goes get off you ass and refinance and stop complaining.

As far as your "I am the almighty attitude" well I think you know what you can do with that.  Do us all a favor in the future don't bother reading my posts.
Ima B. Lever View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 1:08pm
Point #1:  Over the past few months the City's projected budget shortfall has risen from $1.0 million to $1.35 million and now $1.8 million.  Could it go even higher by the end of the calendar year?
Point #2:  There are at least four (4) positions with over $200,000 in salary and $60,000 in fringe benefits that I know of that cannot be justified by any reasonable standard because of lack of work.  Is it possible that these persons are now paid and temporarily working on HUD-funded projects instead of their intended duties?
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Ima B. Lever Ima B. Lever wrote:

Point #2:  There are at least four (4) positions with over $200,000 in salary and $60,000 in fringe benefits that I know of that cannot be justified by any reasonable standard because of lack of work.  Is it possible that these persons are now paid and temporarily working on HUD-funded projects instead of their intended duties?

What are the (at least) four positions which receive more than 200k in salary and 60k in fringe benefits?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 1:43pm
Ima B Lever the deficit was for I believe 2010 or 2011 when Beck er was talking the Finance committee meeting last week.  Mike did you go to this meeting?
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 2:39pm
Mr. Self, what 4 positions does Middletown pay a base salary on of $200,000. That cannot be right' city manager (grossly overpaid for the null effect she provides), makes < than $125 Kk. I can't comprehend 4 make $200,000. in salary alone. Please name those. This is too rich even for Middletown's entitlement system. 
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out. - Will Rogers
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Ima B Lever the deficit was for I believe 2010 or 2011 when Beck er was talking the Finance committee meeting last week.  Mike did you go to this meeting?
Pac:
Yes, I did, and I was there for what appeared to be the entire meeting.
It was frustrating since, once again, when I tried to make a point, I was not allowed to get to my point before I was interupted and condescendingly lectured to about points that I already understood and with which I agreed. 

Five of the seven council members and the city manager were also in attendance.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

No. 1, I did not write the above editorial, the Journal did so you get a grip and stop acting like an A$$.

Did you write this or not? If so, your words are fair game:

"Middletown and all City's in Ohio should be pushing for these changes in the State"

Irisner the system in its current financial state can not afford to operate under the above standards that are FORCED on it by State Law.  As Becker stated last night the City is facing a $1.8 million deficit.  The Public Safety Contracts are basically a big lose, lose for the city, if the Police/Fire don't agree to the contract, it goes to forced arbitration and the City usually looses.

So if the city loses in Arbitration, then the Police and Fire Unions are bad people? Are you always against Arbiters Rulings or only when they don't do things your way? Says a lot about your outlook on things. If things are that bad maybe we do need to raise City taxes!

As far as your mortgage goes get off you ass and refinance and stop complaining.

I am not complaining, just making a point how People like yourself see no problem ignoring Contracts when it comes to Labor, yet would cry the blues if someone reneged on a Contract that favored you.

As far as your "I am the almighty attitude" well I think you know what you can do with that.

You have so much Class. Witty too!

My positions are clearly superior to yours as mine are rooted in Logic and reasonable thought and don't always simply represent what is good for me. In your case, I think personally interest is the only issue at hand. That is why you and I clash so much.

Do us all a favor in the future don't bother reading my posts.

There certainly is nothing of substance to them, I will agree. I guess I am just tired of the internet Forums becoming "Whine Fest' for complainers that have no clue but to blame others. Maybe there is a reason people like yourself are ignored by City Government!

And,once again....Get a Grip. Regardless of what your mommy told you, the other 6 billion People on this Planet were not put here to keep you company. They count too!

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 7:30pm
Accuro and Madison Mom -

My post referred to the AGGREGATE salary and fringe benefits for four employees combined.  It was Not my intent to imply $200,000 in salary and $60,000 in fringe benefits for each person.

I have no axe to grind regarding the four employees.  My point is that HUD funds are becoming more and more of a cash cow for the City and forestall some difficult decisions on personnel.

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 7:39pm

Accuro -

Since you addressed me by my name, please tell us what your real name is?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic