FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alcohol versus Cigarettes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alcohol versus Cigarettes
    Posted: Sep 29 2009 at 12:25pm

People are starting to complain about beer prices going up. Several brewries are raising prices due to slow sales and growth. My question has always been,why the double standard between alcohol and cigarettes ? Depending on the state a carton of smokes can cost as much as $65.00 while a six pack cost $7-$9 depending. I've never heard of anyone being killed or injured in an automobile accident by a smoker,but look at the statistics for DUI accidents. Why isn't alcohol taxed like tobacco ? Why is it more socially acceptable to be a fall down drunk than it is to be hooked on tobacco ?

No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2009 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

People are starting to complain about beer prices going up. Several brewries are raising prices due to slow sales and growth. My question has always been,why the double standard between alcohol and cigarettes ? Depending on the state a carton of smokes can cost as much as $65.00 while a six pack cost $7-$9 depending. I've never heard of anyone being killed or injured in an automobile accident by a smoker,but look at the statistics for DUI accidents. Why isn't alcohol taxed like tobacco ? Why is it more socially acceptable to be a fall down drunk than it is to be hooked on tobacco ?

Not sound ....like a a**, but I think that might very well be the best question I have heard (read) you post. I agree why the double standard. ?
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2009 at 12:42pm
Why the double standard between Alcohol and Marijuana?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2009 at 12:47pm
Randy - Do I get a prize for best question ?!! How about free superbowl tickets to go see the Bengals ? LOL
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2009 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by TudorBrown TudorBrown wrote:

Tudor thats an easy one. As long as Mary Jane is illegal it's a money maker for politicians and municipalities. Look at how much money on all levels flow into the system to "fight drugs".
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2009 at 12:58pm
Tobacco industry is more influential than the brewskie folks at setting the prices/taxes for their respective products???? How about the health lobbyists influence convincing the states to tax the crap out of cigarettes because they see tobacco as a bigger threat to a person's health (cancer) than alcohol (liver disease)???? How about the tobacco farmers influence on raising the price for their product sold to the cigarette makers as opposed to the lesser influence of the grain/ hops farmers for the products sold to the brewery???? How about the state instituting a higher tax on cigarette users rather than alcohol consumers because they see tobacco as more of a serious threat to ones health then alcohol????? Don't know. Maybe none of these.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2009 at 1:13pm
All good questions Vet. Actually tobacco farmers have no real influence over prices. Years ago price was basically just market based,quality,demand,etc. The tobacco companies knew keeping the price down per pack would increase per pack sales. Sell in quanity made them filthy rich. Remember the commercials from the 50's and 60's ? They actually had doctors saying that smoking was good for you. But yeah I believe the insurance industry is to blame for the tax increase on tobacco and the tobacco lawsuits. But why the politicians stay away from alcohol tax is a mystery.
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2009 at 5:34pm

Originally posted by TudorBrown TudorBrown wrote:

Tudor thats an easy one. As long as Mary Jane is illegal it's a money maker for politicians and municipalities. Look at how much money on all levels flow into the system to "fight drugs".

You're a very intelligent open minded individual Señor Delbert, I'm proud to call you a fellow Middletonion!
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2009 at 6:45pm

Gracias Señor Tudor ! Sí I am proud to be Middletonian also Señor I be very happy when presidente give me healthcare. Estados Unidos esté contento !! LOL

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2009 at 9:56pm

...But why the politicians stay away from alcohol tax is a mystery.
 If you'd ever spent any time in Washington DC taverns while congress was in session, you wouldn't be asking that question!!! LOL LOL LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2009 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

...But why the politicians stay away from alcohol tax is a mystery.
 If you'd ever spent any time in Washington DC taverns while congress was in session, you wouldn't be asking that question!!! LOL LOL LOL

Yeah I know,they don't want me smoking but they can all sit around and sip expensive wine and sherry having a high ole time. How did we ever become a country with so many double standards anyway ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic