FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RECAP of WARD RACES

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RECAP of WARD RACES
    Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 11:26am

RECAP of WARD RACES

FIRST WARD:

In my mind, this is the easiest choice the voters face.

James Armbruster:

Mr. Armbruster seems to be completely out of touch with the real world. His answers during all of the Candidate Forums seemed coached, repetitive, often were interrupted while he referred to a thick notebook, and sometimes inappropriate for the questions asked. He cannot understand basic concepts such as: With the FACT of an increased payroll tax rate (passed during his term and supported by him) if the ALLEGED 1,000 jobs that he has brought to town were actual additional new jobs, Middletown could NOT POSSIBLY be seeing continuously DECREASING revenue from payroll taxes, another FACT! He has emphatically stated that NO meetings of a quorum of council has met outside of regular council meetings with city staff and that he studies the council workbooks for DAYS before each meeting, yet he routinely vote to accept minutes on the “consent agenda” during council meetings that ACTUALLY DOCUMENT such spurious meetings. He doesn’t even realize that the rest of council is meeting behind his back?

His list of donations from the “usual suspects” and the fact that he owns a business are among the reasons that he has possible conflicts of interest, including with the Boards and Commissions that he liaises with. (He strongly stated that he is AGAINST the council people appointing themselves to these boards, yet for FOUR YEARS he has merrily sat on every one that came along. Does he realize ANYTHING that he is saying? Will we hear a motion next Tuesday from him BARRING council from boards and commissions? Has he EVER made a motion on ANYTHING?) He often sits in one of his taxpayer-furnished “City of Middletown” shirts, speaking of how “bare- bones” they have cut the budget!

Nothing but a SURE vote “for the gang”, if they just wake him up in time!

Biggest negative? HIS own record.

Biggest plus? ______________?

Gary Lee Barge:

Mr. Barge seems to be a basic, honest, good citizen who has tackled one of the toughest issues in the history of Middletown (The Hydraulic Canal problem) and has refused to let go. I believe that he has the best interests of his ward and the city at heart. While he did not do well at the first Candidate Forum, he did improve as they went along. In my view, He showed great restraint in NOT embarrassing his opponent by pointing out the obvious inconsistencies in his arguments. He has shown a willingness to serve the entire city on various boards, but has resigned when Council member “liaisons” have tried to steer those committees by throwing their considerable weight around. He has shown a willingness to seek and consider the opinion and advice of those with more expertise (and YES, he DOES realize that often such people DO exist OUTside of City Hall) on subjects in which he has little.

As far as I can find, Mr. barge has no apparent conflicts of interest.

Biggest plusses? Honest. Non-politician. He is NOT Armbruster.

THE BOTTOM LINE?

If you think that the last four years have been great, that Middletown has NO PROBLEMS, and that you want FOUR MORE YEARS of the same, vote for James Armbruster, who resides a short block away from the THIRD Ward in Manchester Manor.

If you are NOT insane, and have a brain, VOTE for Gary Barge who really resides in the heart of the FIRST Ward and seems to have the First Ward, and the city, in his heart!

SECOND WARD:

In my opinion, this is probably the toughest choice the voters face.

John P. Soppanish:

Mr. Soppanish seems to be a basic, honest, hard-working, honest man who has the best interests of the ward and the city at heart. He did not do particularly well during the forums, but he has had limited public speaking experience and training so perhaps this is to be expected. He improved with each one, but still seemed to get flustered when surprised (for example: he got confused about a question on the downtown portion of the canal issue during the last debate). In my opinion, he would gain confidence and improve, but would need some good advisors on several of the issues that face our city. Nothing wrong with that, but who will he choose and will he listen?

His “doctored photos” attack of his opponent was a mistake (in my view) but he doesn’t claim to be a politician. On one hand, I don’t think we need any more politicians in City Hall--we need citizen legislators. On the other hand, does this reflect on his judgment?

No apparent conflicts of interest, as long as he gives up his vice-chairmanship of the Second Ward Community Council if elected.

A. J. Smith:

Mr. Smith has come a long way in the two short years since his bid for a school board seat fell short, and I admire that. But many questions remain. Have all of his gains been in “politicking” and not in substance? He has worked hard, and that is to his credit. He has also seemed prone to “name drop”, seeming to say “Look who I now know!” instead of “Look at what I have learned and how much I have matured.” I believe that A. J. has studied the issues as much as, and probably more, than any of the other seven candidates. The question is: Has he studied them to decide what to say and how to get elected, or to figure out what to do and how best to serve?

I do believe that he stated the right answers (in my view) on several key issues, but his campaign donors’ list does give me pause. It includes at least one name that seems to have donated to everyone who would accept it. This is not to say that donations are wrong. (I may decide to donate to A. J. myself to help offset the legal fees due to the “doctored photos” fiasco.) But will A. J. have enough of the “right stuff” to resist any attempts at “payback” requested in the future?

Among other things, his decision to boycott the Candidate Forum at Renaissance during the closing days of this non-partisan race makes me question his judgment and his commitment to represent all of the citizens of Middletown--even the Republicans. In my view, a poor way to finish an otherwise well-run campaign.

THE BOTTOM LINE:

In my view, either of these two gentlemen will be a much better council person than Ms. Ford (who is a nice person, but seemed completely out of her element behind the curved counter of city council). The key to which will be the best public servant lies in “who will they look to on matters for which they need advice or input”? I have no idea about that.

They both say they want to retain the “ward system”

YOU pick him!

THIRD WARD:

In my opinion, this is the second easiest choice the voters face.

Tony Marconi:

Much like Mr. Armbruster in the First Ward, Mr. Marconi’s answers during all of the Candidate Forums seemed coached, repetitive, often were interrupted while he referred to his thick notebook, and sometimes inappropriate for the questions asked. I was also not surprised to see a nearly identical campaign donors’ list. Also like his First Ward colleague, he cannot comprehend the rather simple laws of math that dictate the IMPOSSIBILITY of his ALLEGATION that he has brought to town 1,000 jobs, coupled with the FACT of an increased payroll tax rate (passed during his term and supported by him) and the FACT of Middletown’s continuously DECREASING revenue from payroll taxes. He also refuses to “look back” to see what caused some of our serious problems and seems to prefer to repeat the same mistakes over and over.

Mr. Marconi, again like Armbruster, believes that “nothing is wrong” in Middletown and often joins our mayor, Armbruster the City Manager, Pride in Action and others in endless choruses of “Everything Is Beautiful”! He also has, probably is, and likely will be involved in a host of projects that would rightfully deemed “conflicts of interest” by any rational, righteous person. The minutes, submitted by city staff, of many meetings show that at least FOUR council members (sometimes INCLUDING Marconi) met with city manager and city staff for “pre-arranged discussions of city business” and these minutes were received by the FULL council (including Marconi and Armbruster) voted upon and unanimously APPROVED! Yet he, like Armbruster, insists that they never occurred.

Biggest Plus??? Can read: “I so move for adoption!” out of his notebook faster than any other council member in the history of Middletown (even if he intends to vote AGAINST the motion, but “hey, that’s what it says for me to say, heh-heh, and I want to be first before somebody else gets to say it!”)

Biggest negative??? His own record!

Joshua E. Laubach:

Mr. Laubach seems to have a bit more maturity than his years would indicate, possibly due to his military service and overseas experiences therein. This seems to have translated into a very conservative world view and outlook that has great appeal to those like me. While this does seem to be his “core” is this foundation strong enough to serve against both peer pressure and family ties to Mulligan and his MMF cronies? He has seemed to correctly key in on apathy as one of Middletown’s main problems. He has the right education and seemed to get stronger and more comfortable with each forum. I particularly like his stance on our former downtown’s redevelopment: “keep government out of it, let PRIVATE groups do it!”

Big plus? No apparent conflicts of interest like many others have had (or still have).

Another BIG plus? He is NOT Marconi.

Biggest doubts? 1. Will he stay true to his “current core beliefs”? 2. Will he rely on inexperienced peer group as advisors or be wise enough to seek experienced individuals (without hidden agendas) when needed, yet judicious enough to stay away from controlling MMF-types?

THE BOTTOM LINE:

Marconi says he doesn’t like “government intrusion” but wants Council to have THEIR finger (actually their THUMB) on EVERYTHING! Has said or done nothing to indicate any different direction than “business as usual”. You should know what you are getting by now, so if that’s what you (want four more years of what we‘ve just had), go right ahead, but don’t blame anyone else when you get what you voted for.

It’s time to try someone new. Pull the trigger for Laubach and hope for a change for the better!

FOURTH WARD:

This is probably the second toughest Ward to choose.

Paul Nagy:

Mr. Nagy is an honest, intelligent, well-spoken gentleman whose slogan seems to be that he “will answer with the best that’s in him” and the Fourth Ward can’t ask for more than that! His passionate and well-reasoned “closing” at the Renaissance Forum was his best performance and, if it was his theme throughout the campaign, could have had no rebuttal and would have him well-placed. Has many good ideas and seems to be willing to hear out anyone with a reasonable thought on any issue.

He has no conflicts of interest and appears to be open to change if presented with facts.

Biggest assets? Intelligence; practicality; wide range of friends and associates both city-wide and nationwide with expertise in a myriad of subjects to draw upon for advice and counsel when needed. The experience, judgment, and wisdom to know when to seek advice and how much weight to give it. Being retired, probably has the time to serve well!

Biggest negative? May have health issues.

Daniel Picard:

Mr. Picard is also an intelligent, well-spoken gentleman (although these are said to be requirements for a lawyer). He also seems to have some good thoughts. Might have made a mistake when he accused others of basing charges on rumor, innuendo, and hearsay while it seems that very accusation was based on rumor, innuendo and hearsay! (See http://middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2230 for more on this!) He also may often be subject to conflicts of interest involving his family’s business interests and his law practice. His campaign donors’ list also looks frighteningly familiar.

Biggest assets? Has a lawyers sharp mind, but may not always prepare thoroughly. (Why else would he have mistakenly issued the “hearsay challenge using assumptions based on hearsay”?)

Biggest negatives? May also have health issues. Besides possible conflicts, his practice and business interests may interfere with City Business schedule.

THE BOTTOM LINE:

The Fourth Ward (and the entire city) will be much better served by either of these gentlemen than they have been by Schiavone! “Strong Ward” advocates should note that Picard, like Schiavone, can walk out front door, cross Sherman Avenue, and be inside the THIRD Ward (and the new Highlands Historic District!) Nagy lives SOUTH of Roosevelt Blvd in Mayfield.

From the campaign rhetoric, I like Nagy a little more. But consider that Picard is a lawyer, and is trained to present EITHER side of issues equally well, regardless of what he believes.

Also, Picard is much more likely to face conflicts of interest than Nagy.

If I were a Fourth Ward resident, I would vote for Nagy.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
gemneye70 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemneye70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 12:11pm

Nice summary sir.  And very fair.

Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 12:12pm
Mike,
      Thanks for the nice things you said. However, your statement, " I believe that A. J. has studied the issues as much as, and probably more, than any of the other seven candidates" is not only wrong but laughable.
       Paul Nagy
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Paul Nagy Paul Nagy wrote:

Mike,
      Thanks for the nice things you said. However, your statement, " I believe that A. J. has studied the issues as much as, and probably more, than any of the other seven candidates" is not only wrong but laughable.
       Paul Nagy
Paul, Did you read the very next sentence??: "The question is: Has he studied them to decide what to say and how to get elected, or to figure out what to do and how best to serve?"

I have to say that during the Candidate Forums, AJ had a reasonable answer "at the ready" for nearly every question (except the "nepotism" question) and he did so without notebooks or crib notes of any kind that I could see.  Whether I agreed with his answers or not, they were appropriate to the questions (unlike some of the so-called experienced incumbents) and were given without hesitation.  This tells me that he did indeed, "do his homework"!

Paul, I could have objectively given YOU much higher marks, but considering your frequent and high praise of your opponent, I was afraid doing so might make me look BIASED!! LOL LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 3:53pm

Fellow Bloggers
  When Mr. AJ Smith called my home he didn't know who I was or what questions I would ask. When I fired down on him he answered every question and concern that I had about the 2nd Ward without hesitation and I was impressed with all of his answers
.  He did inform me that there were only 80 voting Republicans's in the 2nd Ward...Big%20smile...I did inform him that his home phone number would be on my speed dial.

Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 4:00pm
Mike -

Maybe the more analytical MiddletownUSA participants like you should reach out to non-incumbent City Council candidates needing policy, programmatic and policy expertise if elected?
tootie View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tootie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 10:54pm
I have to say Mr Presta did a fine job of breaking down the candidates. Even if some of the candidates aren't the most polished speaker they would still have to be better than the incumbents. I know I wouldn't wanted to have to answer a 2 part question in a minute or two and be able to express all I wanted to say ( unless you had some coaching). I found it distracting for Armbruster and Marconi to be constantly flipping through their notebooks. They have so much "experience" they shouldn't need notes.  And what they failed to mention was that for all those jobs "they brought" that many or more have left.  Vote Nov 3.  Vote for change.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2009 at 5:48am
Exactly, Tootie.  Some of those running may not be good "politicians", but in my view "politicians" are exactly what we do NOT need right now!  We need solid citizens, with common sense and honesty.  We need folks that will try their best to do what's right for the CITY, and not worry about acting like "big shots" or "know-it-alls".  We need folks who we don't have to counctinually examine to try to figure out what "alphabet company" they have their fingers in or how they may otherwise have conflicts of interest.

We need people who are NOT afraid to say "I don't know anything about this subject", then look at staff and say "It sounds like YOU don't know either.", but then instead of spending hundreds of thousands of taxpayers' dollars to tell us what someone on staff wants us to hear, will go out into the community and find other civic-minded citizens who DO know about the subject, and get THEIR input.

And yes, they need to be OPEN about all of this.  It MUST not be done in the dark, with as few as possible "in on it" with a quiet agreement hammered out so that council can all vote "together" while the public wonders WHY??

And THAT is how our forefathers INTENDED it!!  And THAT is what we must get back to, if we are to survive as a city, and as a nation!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic