FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The next big thing!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The next big thing!
    Posted: Nov 12 2010 at 11:07am
Storm- your daddy was a very observant, intelligent person who hit the nail on the head with his take on what's happened in this town. He is right. The good leaders who really cared for this town died off/retired and left and the new wanna-be/no ties to the city/could care less about the city airheads, void of any common sense at all, became firmly entrenched in running this town into the ground. Hence, we see what we see today.
Storm Ahead View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Storm Ahead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2010 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Voice of Reason Voice of Reason wrote:

In closing, I will say I am skeptical of things like this, that some dunce(s) on city council will be duped by some "investor" with grand plans for some enterprise in Middletown, but in this case there seems to have been some vetting and there is something of a proven track record of success.  Again, time will tell. 

To vet was originally a horse-racing term, referring to the requirement that a horse be checked for health and soundness by a veterinarian before being allowed to race. Thus, it has taken the general meaning "to check."

It is a figurative contraction of veterinarian which originated in the mid-17th century. The colloquial abbreviation dates to the 1860s; the verb form of the word, meaning "to treat an animal," came a few decades later—according to the Oxford English Dictionary the earliest known usage is 1891—and was applied primarily in a horse-racing context. ("He vetted the stallion before the race," "You should vet that horse before he races," etc.) By the early 1900s, vet had begun to be used as a synonym for evaluate, especially in the context of searching for flaws. [1] Wikipedia

I think we'd be better off if we let our veterinarians do our vetting. My daddy says it's been the same old group in Middletown forever, and as the good ones died off, they were replaced by elite wanna-bes, who have served their own egos and pocket-books. Look at their track record. They hand-picked their boys and gurls for commissions and councils. Daddy says the requirement was that they look good and do as they were told. There are no Verity's left in Middletown.

All I know is I want the local schools to give my children a solid education! Vet that!
Stormy
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2010 at 7:27am
VOR- I'd like to respond to some of your observations concerning Middletown.

The most recent property evaluation by the county auditor revealed a drop in my property value of approx. 20% in the last 5 years. Not close to 50% as you say acclaro has cited. Perhaps there are properties in Midd. that have dropped in value by that much. Don't know.

You accurately mention the fact that the Sorgs and AK's won't be coming back. Not coming back to any town. Steel and paper have gone to China. They occupy the leader position in these disciplines and have for 10+ years. Black Clawson, a paper machine manufacturer to the paper companies saw the US market dry up in early 2000's. Now, their main customers are the Chinese, who are building new papermills. I worked for Black Clawson back then and know first hand how the customer base vanished in the US for them. I would like to see Robinette and his Econ. Dev. Department go after some communications companies. How about some fiber optics, corporate research and development centers, corporate warehousing operations, software manufacturers, electronics manufacturing, anything lighter than steel or paper. The emphasis for the Midd. city government should be to provide job opportunities to its residents. It has failed miserably in the last 30 years to supplant the loss of paper and steel in this town. Not only have they not kept pace with the companies closing or moving elsewhere, it appears they haven't even given it much effort at all. JMO

There are many good ideas interspersed within these pages. It will take some searches as they are not concentrated in one area. As expected, the locations of these town-improving ideas are tied to the topic of interest. Pick a topic and you will usually find some solutions attached somewhere in these posts.

Most of us probably realize that to entice a potential employer here, concessions must be made. We must practically give away the land, give tax breaks for years in advance, wine and dine them and basically kiss their behind to overcome the competition. I just wonder how often this has occured in the last 30 years. From what I have seen over the last 30 years, its always the "other towns" that have lured the new employer to town with no indication that the Middletown gov. people were even aware they were in the area to look, much less being in the running to land them. I question Robinette's Econ. Dev. department's effort compared to the surrounding area's econ. dev. Midd. just doesn't seem to be as aggresive in its pursuit of new employment and seems content to keep it "business as usual" around here. JMO

I would have felt a little more "giddy" if the new kid on the block was an electronic manufacturer rather than an arts center to locate here. I see much more potential in the electronics manufacturer producing viable opportunitites and money flow to this town than I do anything an arts center could provide. Coffee shops? Surrounding restaurants? They pay little (with little to no benefits package) compared to a decent manufacturing job. I don't understand why council and the city leaders don't want to provide decent job opportunities to the citizens of this community? No effort at all on their part to even try as if jobs, money flow, payroll/corporate taxes aren't important revenue for the city. Too much concentration on fed money revenue from handout programs than to do it the right way with revenue from company/worker taxes. Apparently easier to get revenue by soliciting gov. funds taking on gov. programs no one else wants for their cities than to make an effort to attract jobs like most other towns do.
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2010 at 10:06pm
And Acclaro, to your other points about the airport and golf course--if the city kept these or sold these, it wouldn't make a great deal of difference to the well-being of the city.  So to me, they can keep them (at some cost to the budget, no doubt, but a small portion of the budget) or sell them.  Whatever. 

As far as the schools go--I agree with you here, a school district's performance has a major impact on where a family decides to make a home.  But what control does city council have over that?  I have my problems with Middletown city schools to be sure, but that is a whole other issue unto itself. 

Also, to VietVet's question about cutting city employees in general, in addition to firefighters--this was an oversight on my part.  It would be my idea to apply the same principle to city bureaucrats as the police/fire employees: employ fewer, but well-compensated employees and you'll get the most bang for your buck.  The total city payroll can and ought to go down.  There is nothing wrong with having well-compensated city employees that add value to the city's services, but of course there is something wrong with having too many well-compensated city employees.  I will agree with anyone who says that cuts ought to be made to the city bureaucracy, it's just a matter of where and how much, exactly. 
"Ask not what your country can do for you..." JFK
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2010 at 9:59pm
Acclaro,

You cite 50% reduction in home property values around Middletown--what is your source on this?  I still maintain that home values have dropped substantially all over the country and that Middletown is likely in the middle of the pack with regard to this fact.  See Stockton, CA, for instance. 

I neglect to mention the problems with the city have been around for decades--what are you talking about?!?  Did you read what I posted here?  Didn't I offer up the point that many of the problems that Middletown has been facing were decades in the making, and that it isn't appropriate to blame the current council for all the problems facing Middletown?  Re-read my previous two posts in this topic if you don't believe me--this point is right there in front of you.

As far as your low/no tax argument--I seem to recall reading an article in the Journal (so taken with a grain of salt, of course) that Middletown's income tax rate is 1.75% or 1.50%, which is less than some local areas but more than others--I believe that Dayton and Moraine were at 2.00%, Franklin and Miamisburg may have been at 1.50% or 1.25% or so (and Franklin was voting to raise theirs).  I simply don't believe the fact that 25 basis points makes a difference on where to locate a business.  The labor base has much more to do with this, and Mason and West Chester's higher proportion of college graduates greatly enhances their attractiveness to employers. 

And if you want some basic city services like police, fire, road re-paving, etc., some nominal income tax can be somewhat in terms of improving the infrastructure.  And I say that with the firm belief that it is government's job to keep taxes competitively low across the board.  And I will press the point further--what tax rates exactly are you comparing? 

And I don't believe that I said there were no ideas on this forum--but please point them out to me, as I am relatively new and I will admit to being unaware of these ideas.  Where are these good ideas for improving Middletown? 

As far as some other items go, like locking up the Cincy State deal, everyone who reads this let me be clear--I am not sure of any details about it other than what I've read in the paper and on this forum.  But it should be very obvious to everyone that opportunities like this don't come along very often, if ever again, really, so the city must be aggressive in closing the deal. 

Here's another piece of "news" for all of you--the city must compete with other cities to land deals like this, and offering incentives and tax breaks, loans, grants, etc., are part of the battle being waged with other cities.  So if you oppose this deal, please tell me--how exactly will it happen that any other potentially large deals will come our way again?  What company or institution today would be so close to establishing a major presence in Middletown as Cincinnati State?  America's days aggressive growth in manufacturing industries (the way that Middletown grew up as a city) are behind us and a new service-based and information-based economy is behind us.  I am very much a pro-manufacturing sort of person, since manufacturing companies tend to pay well and greatly support a local economy, but the reality is that there will be no more Armcos or Sorg Papers setting up shop in MIddletown any time soon, if ever again. 

Those of you who oppose this deal are simply standing on the sidelines waiting for something magical to happen that just won't.  The city must take risks, it must be willing to compete for jobs and do what is necessary to land deals like this, because I assure you there won't be another one like it for quite a while. 
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 4:09am
Thank you, Vet and Paul.
Yes, I have been out of town consulting with Leonardo about our city's troubles, and I am happy to report that I will be back shortly with a brilliant new plan to cure all of our ills.

Please be patient.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2010 at 6:51am
Thank you, Vet. Mike Presta is out of town but I've talked to him twice and he is up on everything and will be rarin' to go as soon as he gets back.
     pn
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2010 at 6:29am
Dead Man- Mr. Nagy posted that Mr. Presta was out of town.
Dead man walkin' View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dead man walkin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2010 at 10:17pm
Where's Mike Presta been and why hasn't he commented on any of the events of the past week or so?  Not a word on the budget crises, or the sewer/EPA, or the Cincy st. matter.  Don't tell me that some city big shot offered him enough for his house to shut im up, and he sold out the regular citizens of Middletown.

They say that everyone has their price, so was his the 1998 cost of his house?
Sad.  I wouldnt have believed it.
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil" (Psalm 23)
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2010 at 10:30am
It was my understanding that the old Bank One building has a major mold issue.  If this is the case who would be resposible for the clean up? 

I completely agree this is a bailout for the the Thatcher family, would be nice if they would help bail out some of the homes in foreclosure before they get to the point of no return.  It is really hurting the property values in Middletown.  
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2010 at 8:56am
VOR, you generalize and defend Middletown on all its problems and leadership as if its a national epidemic. Say what you will about housing decline, but Middletown property in all corners, has dropped by at least 50% or more. That is not a national trend. You further neglect to state the problems with the city have been around for decades, associated with entitlement of the unions and a reactive mentality. Whoever has an idea, then Middletown follows. Doug McNeil says by consolidating with the Premiere Group, a massive biomedical campus and growth will come. That has and will not occur. The ER has a poor reputation, and I have been there many times with family members and many floors have been at very low occupancy.

Simply because the stained glass facility downtown has a few clients, the focus has evolved to making art a major focus. Its always follow someone else to success. That led to PAC and thoughts Middletown is the meccas for the art world in the city of poverty. I think Cinci State is a very fine institution. I am not the Dean as mentioned elsewhere, so he/she will have to live with that decision. I view that situation though exactly as was referenced above, a baii-out for the Thatcher estate, just as buying the land for Mr. Thatcher for the Atrium (chump change for the Atrium) was expended.

The reasons for the growth around Mason and West Chester are attributed to lcale to 275, 75, 71, and more importantly, low or no tax. Compare that to Middletown. Compare that to the reasoning of AK leaving, compare that to the desire for Middletown Regional Hospital to move.

You are not a reader of this forum or others routinely. If you ad been, you would have hundreds of ideas you could bank, well though, highly constructive, and innovative, regarding what could be done to enhance Middletown in all facets. Not one has been exercized by the city, nor embraced. Rather, its paving a bike track, maintaining assets which no city in such decline, should own, an airport and a golf course, as well as others. You negate to consider the impact of the school rating has on house depreciation, the street infrastructure mess, and the general knowledge Middletown has abundantly poor leadership and vision.

While you state no constructive ideas have been offered, I argue there are probably 40 pages of well thought and conceptulized ideas presented by many on this forum. Instead of embracing them, in usual fashion, the city and council run to others, as they have no clue what is occurring in their midst, and embrace the new all encompassing buss word "regionalism", hoping they can ride the ideas and back of another part of southwestern Ohio, to come up with anything they can throw out there, which may have legs and which might stick.

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2010 at 8:19am

I think we need to step back and take another look at this Cincy State deal and the history that has gotten us to this point. Why did this deal go from 3 buildings to 5 plus empty lots?

This is a complete bailout by the City of the Thacher family real estate in downtown
Middletown.

In 2004 the City gave the Manchester Inn a $200,000 or $300,000 loan that was never completely repaid. The Manchester Inn now owes numerous local vendors and suppliers and they are on a cash only payment plan and therefore going to close
December 31, 2010.  
Please note that the City said $500,000 but they didn’t state which building for what amount of money? The Manchester Inn has had financial problem for years. So how much money are we paying for the Manchester Inn? Who is going to pay all the liens on this property? Then we have the restoration of this building for unknown millions of dollars.

The
Senior Center is owned by the City and the CG&E building and they will need unknown millions to restore these buildings also.

Then we have the two bank buildings. Why are these 2 buildings included in this deal at this time? Are they part of the $500,000 deal or will the City purchase these separate and land bank them (for 10 years) for a later development date?

I simply do not trust the City in this unknown multi-million dollar deal.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2010 at 6:57am
VOR- thank you for the suggestions. I had originally asked for Mtown to generate a list at least 3 times, but no response, so your list is appreciated. Apparently Mtown has no ideas, just MUSA criticism on the negativity and a need to agitate.

I noticed that in your suggestions to cut firefighters and to maintain the current level with police that you didn't mention looking at city building positions and city employees in general to see where cuts could be made. Was this an intentional oversight on your part or a more deliberate one? IMO, there could probably be some cutting at the city building. Last time I saw the Public Works hierarchy, they had a Director, Manager, Supervisor, Team Leader, Lead Operator, Admin and two operators. IMO. way too top heavy in management for such a small department. I would imagine that if we took a look at each position, we could find many glorified, overpaid paper shufflers that could be eliminated and those left behing could double up on some of these job responsibilities if they are really needed.

You state "Lock up the Cincy State deal"..... "This may be expensive for the city".....but COULD (speculation) be big for downtown. Really??? So you are willing to lavish these education people with over $500 thou in funds to buy buildings for them to sign a lease to stay for how long??? And what happens to the empty buildings the city is stuck with after they leave? As it is now, there are no guarantees that they will stay for any reasonable length of time. They could leave after two years. Could stay for a lengthy amount of time. We simply don't know yet if the city has negotiated a contract with them as to commitment, do we? Throwing money into the fray, setting them up with a sweet deal just to lure them to town to have SOMETHING downtown with no contract for commitment is stupidity at it's finest. We've already run the risk of going stupid with the Verdin deal as there was no lease commitment signed there either. Verdin could close shop in less than a year and the city is out $250 thou on the building rehab that will sit idle for years and has the potential to become another vacant eyesore. Now, you want to do it again??? Illogical.

No time like the current time to do the Manchester interchange. Got alot of construction equipment setting out on I-75 right now. Would help me immensely getting out to 75 to go to Dayton each morning instead of up through Franklin.

Section 8- agree- reduce it to the correct level and send the other Butler County communities their fair share ASAP.

We long time residents are frustrated by the way the city has been run since the 70's. We usually direct our wrath toward the current admin. with a sprinkle or two sent in the direction of past admins. This and past admins. have had their own agendas and it never has meshed with the wants of the people. To compound the resentment, the current and past admins. have ignored the general populace and concentrated their efforts toward making a small contingent of people in this town happy. We believe this small group of people are the same as those people in the MMF circle of influential friends. Council seems to be accomodating this small faction of closed-loop inner circle wanna-be elitists and acting like anyone else in this city doesn't exist. That is our frustration. That's why we talk about recall once in a while. We older citizens are tired of the many years of a small contingent of people running the city.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 9:29pm

Mike,

I will take it as a compliment that you call me an elitist--you are the first person to anoint me with that title, but there is a first time for everything, I guess.  But I should ask--what is your definition of elitist?  And please give me something better than Merriam-Webster, since I can find out that for myself.  I'd much rather hear how a deep and clear-thinking man such as yourself defines the term. 

Also, what is a "Real Middletonian?"  Someone who blames city leadership for all of Middletown's woes because there is no other place to direct his frustration in life?  Someone who wakes up every day with the uncanny ability to tell other people what not to do but without any ability to provide specific, original ideas for improving the city?  Someone who epitomizes the term "armchair quarterback?"

You have no idea who I am, but somehow you are able to conclude that I like fancy wine; for the record, my drink of choice is Budweiser (not Bud Light) and I rarely drink wine.  I like a good cheeseburger as much as the next guy, and so I hope to be invited to your going-away party. 

Acclaro,

You cite the decline in home values as support for MIddletown's decline--have you noticed what is going on around the rest of the country the past few years?  Do you think Middletown is the only place with declining property values? 

As far as other areas like Mason, West Chester, Miamisburg, etc, that have grown in recent years, I would argue this has very little to do with any enlightened leadership in their city/township.  I would argue that starting in about the 1970's and continuing on today, many people who had the means left the urban cores of Cincinnati and Dayton and in doing so fueled the suburban boom of the last several decades.  Again, there were economic forces at play larger than any city council could overcome. 

Does this mean that I think city council has done everything right over the years?  Absolutely not.  I will agree with you to a point that the city's infrastructure is hurting and should have been better maintained over the years, but, to my point about the current crop--what exactly could they have done about it 20 years ago?  But on the other hand, if you've driven in any "city" recently, such as Hamilton, Cincinnati, Dayton, Chicago, Boston, etc, you'd find that their roads are at least as bad as Middletown's.  But of course, fixing roads and improving infrastructure takes money--money that is mostly going to city police and firefighters.  There simply isn't a lot of discretionary money in the city budget for improvements for roads, but I do believe that some cuts are necessary to free up cash for this purpose. 

VietVet, you asked for specific ideas, so here they are:
--Keep the city income tax at its current level or, under ideal circumstances, lower it by 25 basis points

--Conduct of thorough review of the city fire department and see how many positions can be eliminated.  I have a great deal of respect for the public safety employees--it's not an easy thing to risk your life as part of collecting a paycheck, but in times of need tough choices have to be made and frankly, there isn't much risk of a lot of people dying in fires.  I would prefer to keep paying good salaries to fire department employees in order to attract and retain good employees, but the total payroll must go down significantly.  That is, I would keep fewer but better paid firefighters on staff.  I suspect there are a lot of actions the city can take to reduce its expenditures here.  For example, work towards a county-wide fire unit and cut overhead and administration, and cut out unnecessary fire functions like accompanying ambulances. 

--Keep police at or near its current staffing levels, since police/security are a prerequisite for any economic development to occur. 

--Drastically reduce or eliminate Section 8 subsidies.  This gets complicated since one of the darlings of the democrat/liberal establish, HUD, feels like they have to support everybody who asks, so I know there are hurdles to overcome here.  Perhaps stopping Section 8 it is as easy as flipping a switch, but I seem to recall hearing that there are complications to this. 

--Enforce strict zoning rules.  If you look at Mason or West Chester as models you can't help but notice the manicured streets, curbs, and development.  While I am generally in favor of government having a very light touch, if you want Middletown to be prosperous, you must insist on zoning regs and codes that force developers to spend extra money and not just build as cheaply (and as ugly) as possible.  There is a counter to this point, that this regulation discourages development, but I would argue that having restrictions on development helps ensure that new but soon-to-be blighted houses and buildings don't drag down poor Mr. Presta's home value.  (And for the record, I likely couldn't get a 1998 price for my home, either, even with some improvements). 

--Lock up the Cincinnati State deal.  This may be expensive for the city, and it may take a while to gain traction, but this could be big for downtown.  As I have said in my previous posts, there is no better use for tax dollars than using them to attract investment in the city and job-creating development. 

--Build a new interchange at Manchester Road.  I agree with you here, Mr. Presta.  We could use an additional exit from I-75, but this will take federal dollars, as we just don't have the money in our coffers.  I think this could happen (and I seem to recall council authorizing a study on this, so wouldn't you applaud that move?) but it is, regrettably, years in the making. 

So that's a few ideas.  Dissect them if you'd like and tell me where I'm wrong. 

Many of you are frustrated with MIddletown's lack of progress, though your criticisms seem to be directed at actions taken years ago by people who have no connection to today's city leadership and employees. 

Every leader will always get too much credit for the successes that occur during his tenure and too much blame for the failures--this is simply a fact of life.  The key, in my opinion, is to consider all viewpoints and consider the constraints facing leaders (such as the huge proportion of city funds that are contractually tied to police and fire employees, the decisions made by past councils, macroeconomic forces, etc.) and then come to a determination on their performance while keeping those constraints in mind. 
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2010 at 10:49am
Mtown, tell us...are you or your family employed by the city?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2010 at 10:41am
correct acclaro

compounded by the continued frustration over not being able to control and censor this site
which is gaining in popularity
while Council/Admin and Admin continue to downplay and attack this site, they are also obsessed with what is going on here..
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2010 at 10:06am
What scares Mtown and the other shills?

ANSWER: truth supported by facts and numbers.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2010 at 7:24am
hey mtown--
I also was appointed to the local Census committee, approved by Council and along side many diverse locals,non-locals and municipals. Was awarded plaques, certificates and pins.

Worked along side Ms.Andrew, Ms.Alberrico, Mr.Allen, Mr.Packert, Mr.Sawyer, Mr.Kleingers and many others on the school levy renewal. No issues there and got the job done.

Did you see the 10-0 t-shirts distributed to the Middie players and coaches after last Friday's game?
Who do you think paid for those shirts?

Since you continue to call me out personally, stating:
"As far as spiderjohn, as I understand it all you do is complain and gripe on the boards/commissions you served/served on."
maybe you can provide some of yer facts and incidents where I wasn't active or helpful to the group upon which I served.

Pretty big talk to not follow up with specifics. 
All that u seem 2 do is bitch and complain about the postings and posters here.
Pretty scary personality trait--unhappy in your life--jealous of others?
What really scares you and draws you here?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2010 at 6:16am
Still waiting Mtown. Part the waters and lay some of that wisdom on us as to your gameplan to improve the town.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2010 at 6:59am
Mtown- You state "What makes your opinions more valid that the total city electorate?"- what makes you think the MAJORITY of the city electorate doesn't agree with our points of view on this site? Have you polled them for their opinions? Doubtful

"If you don't like what they are doing run for office against one of them and make your case to the voters."- Ran in the 90's for school board. Was going to examine the school budget and internals and make public. Was the third to declare for three positions open. Next day, your side gathered five more candidates to dilute the impact of the non-club people. Club members filled the seats. In the 90's, Dems used my name on the ballot to run against the incumbant to offer token resistance. 70-30% loss, but didn't leave the house to campaign. I had a real job that didn't allow me to take off and no money. Now, have a wife with a stroke which is another full time job besides my regular job in Dayton. No time to attend forums, campaign, etc. or I would run for council. They wouldn't like me, guaranteed. Have you or VOR run for any office or are you totally satisfied with the crap going on here? Could you be one of the many court jesters downtown dancing for the queen?

You STILL haven't answered the question after asking twice now. For the third time, what would you do to change the town? Present your gameplan to us so that we all can "see the light" and understand the reasoning for the city leader's decisions on many issues we currently disagree on. Convert us VOR and Mtown. Show us where our thinking is flawed. All you have done so far is complain about our complaining. You've shown us nothing to support your positions. Why should we support the way the city is being run? Again, in your court.

Incredible!!!! "Must be miserable being so unhappy that you can't approach life and your community with a more positive approach." - Mercy!!! Not miserable at all. Frustrated perhaps concerning how the city is being run, but not miserable. Approaching life and the community with a more positive approach requires a situation where people are allowed to feel as if they have some control of the destiny of their life and the town. Personally, I feel neither right now. My life is now controlled by my job and the care of my wife with little time for me or anything else and the town is controlled by a group of exclusionary people who have an agenda they would rather keep from the general public. For years, they have not listened to the people nor asked what the people want for their city. They do not want to hear us as evidenced by the citizens comments at council meetings. They could care less for the citizens, hence we regard them as the opposition. How do you keep a "positive" attitude under those conditions?
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2010 at 6:50am
mtown--I was also asked to consider filling a term on Planning commission--turned that idea down

2nite I will be awarded a certificate from the BOE for serving as principal for a day.

Council forums/conversations?
I attend them and ask relavent ?s--not branded negative by Councilmembers
Where have YOU been?

Helped pay for those 10-0 t-shirts handed out to the players and coaches on the Middie football team(which I have financially supported for decades--along with countless other school programs).
Remember the local basketball team that finished a close 2nd in the national Gator Bowl tourney a few years back? I have the trophy bowl and a signed game ball in gratitude of my support for that trip and the program.

Walls and drawers full of plaques and certificates, thank yous and recognition from so many worthy organizations. I try to selectively help those deserving who really NEED assistance--not those who want, expect and demand $$, while honestly not needing it.

I did not seek any of these positions or leadership roles.
I was recruited by Council,staff and community leaders.

Still waiting for you to put up some facts and #s to back up your talk, other than your consistent attempts at degradation and intimidation. Maybe it is YOU that has come with "the chip", while being nothing other than extremely negative.

So--if you continue to choose me as your poster boy, go right ahead. Leaves plenty of opportunity for others proven to be very capable.

Not being able to silence or control this forum might be too much for you.
Actually, negativity seems to be YOUR chosen method and specialty.
Your form of repression simply won't work here.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2010 at 4:23am
For all of the REAL Middletonians: After the closing, we'll throw a beer and cheeseburger party at a local pub on our way out of town!!!  Big%20smile

(But the check MUST clear first!!!)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2010 at 4:17am
Originally posted by tomahawk35 tomahawk35 wrote:

I have way you can change my whole negative opinion about this city,just meet me tomorrow and bring me a cashier check for the value of my home and I will be the happiest son-- bitch that you ever met. If that isn't possible, buy yourself some earplugs.
'Hawk,
Excellent idea!!!
Mtown, Voice of Reason, and all of the other elitists out there:
I'll sacrifice my place for the 1998 price that I paid!!!  I'm sure that the Mayor's bank will finance the full amount for you, just as a public service. You should be able to find plenty of folks around town that will co-sign the loan just to get rid of me. (I promise to move out of Middletown!!!)

All of you high-falootin' folks that think our city hall is on the right track---here is your chance!!!  The Journal should even be happy to advertise for co-signers for FREE, not that I think any of you actually would need a co-signer.  (I know that you all have money to burn.)

Heck, at the closing I might even pop for a couple bottles of that fancy wine you guys like. (Leave your plastic cups at home--we have actual wine glasses that we'll throw in on the deal--but the check MUST clear first!!!)

PS:  Our original artworks do NOT go with the property!!!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2010 at 2:31am

Yes sir-ree Bob!

For years everyone could see that Middletown was the obvious meeting point of the “Cin-Day” corridor and was touted to be the choicest interchange on I-75. Yet, thanks to the corruption and provincialism of our city hall and puppet masters such as MMF, we are not only the very LAST interchange to see development, but real movers and shakers have actually built NEW interchanges rather than deal with our “business-friendly” group of scoundrels.

And Kohler continues to resist, and Gilleland and Council turn a blind eye.

Build those “enhanced gateways” with Marty’s “water features”, folks. The successful communities will just build more interchanges and continue to prosper while Middletown crumbles!!!

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2010 at 11:08pm
VOR and Mtown, you both convey similar sentiments so I may assume you are the same. Really makes no difference, just fascinating how the logic becomes so easy to unravel. Its easy to state Middletown is just like any other community making the transition. Or, the new council is making progress. Hell, property values are so low right now, it will take Middletown 20 years to get rid of existing stock.

As for the problems, lets start Mtownand VOR with turning back the clock and dedicating those funds misappropriated from roads and infrastucture. You talk about progress and in a 5 minute emergency session, council will allow non residents to sit on committees (I reiterate I don't care---its just more than suspicious "outsiders" are so desperately needed to fill the void, but in a year, not one council member, including the three renegades, have made no effort nor set a motion, to reverse this terrible situation which has been in existence since 1988.

Give me a break on the whining about the city and the transformation to a new economy. What's that economy going to be? Taxes are outrageously high, the roads are a disgrace, the town a slum, and houses a year ago on the market for $415,000. are now $275,000, and still plunging. Go take a peek at Dr. Ionna's house and ask his realtor what the price is today. With the city in shambles, other than the fat union workers in the city and school district, what new economy is moving into town? Oh...I forgot, its the Paducah clan ready to sell their paintings at the PAC.

Yet, the city can still sit on Weatherwax, although its taking funnds from the general fund, sitting on the airport....in the name of "regionalism" of course, and anyone who voices dismay over this constant "two steps back" is not a team player for the shills of city hall.

MUM can't compete with the enerollment of MUH, and Cinci State will take additional enrollment from MUM. You can't give away a house in Middletown, and yet the UDF, an art facility, and a two year community college is going to revive the city from its roots in paper pulp and manufacturing? You establish the most consistent excuse given repeatedly as a talking point for the shills: "we gotta have time, we are a rust belt time, we need time to turn it around."    

The city is dead. It was killed by individuals who have their head in the sand, blame others for not grabbing a broom and soap, and living in the past. All you have to do is see what is occurring around Austin Springs in Miamisburg, Mason, West Chester. It all is bypassing Middletown. Only a city employee wouldn't be disgruntled and outraged by the mismanagement that has been the norm in Middletown over 30 years, and in spite of the attempts, even the most basic of needs and commonsense couse correction has not been made---simply getting street funds reset aside, instead of letting it go to the city payroll and other wasteful projects.         
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic