FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown Presidents List

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown Presidents List
    Posted: Mar 25 2008 at 3:29pm
Ann Mort has prepared a list of club presidents. 

In 2003 there were 225 clubs on the list.
the number is just 173 in 2008

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2008 at 3:30pm

Here are some early comments on the article:

3/25/2008 10:24:30 AM JF As the average age of members get older, they need to find a way to draw in younger members. As former Rotarian, the weekly meeting just took too much out of my busy schedule. Some of the old rules need to be changed to get younger members to get on board. 3/25/2008 10:27:25 AM Andy Wendt Nice story and good points about the natural change in our social environment. I would expect this trend to continue and your list to grow smaller each year.

3/25/2008 10:40:08 AM Kyle Thompson Nice story. I think a lot of the reason these clubs are getting smaller is the internet. Instead of going to some meeting, everyone can conveniently check their email, go to a forum, get on other social sites, or even get on a video game to get together and discuss/do things. A lot of the gaming crowd have their own forms of clubs such as guilds, clans, etc... So the internet is really changing the way we look at clubs and other organizations. 3/25/2008 10:51:13 AM Bill Schiering Ann,

I am the president of a club of sorts, its actually a Fraternity. The Fraternal Order of Eagles, Middletown Aerie #528 on 1300 First Avenue. Middletown Aerie #528 was instituted on November 8th, 1903, so we have been around for a while. Our members are still very active in the community. In the last 3 years, we have donated over $400,000.00 to local charities, city departments and scholarship funds. Just this month we have donated $2,528.00 to the Middletown K9 for specialized equipment for their cruisers to keep their K9s safe, we sent 1000 boxes of Girl Scout Cookies to the Troops in Iraq and Afghanistan and supported numerous charities for kids.

We still have meetings every week, participation in the meeting is not required, but it is appreciated. I have also found that people will show up, pitch in and work when asked, but not many want to spend the time to have meetings to organize the activities.

I do believe that everything ebbs and flows. The participation in clubs is shrinking right but I think it will become important again in the future. The only questions are when and what will initiate the swing back to the fraternalism of community service.

Here is our contact information, please put us on your list:
Fraternal Order of Eagles, Middletown Aerie #528, 1300 First Avenue, Middletown, OH, 45044, 513-423-1121, foe528@sbcglobal.net

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
HereIam View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HereIam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2008 at 3:19pm
Thanks for the link to the list.  It's sad to see so many clubs dying out, but this list give me hope.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic