FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome To The Club, Robert

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welcome To The Club, Robert
    Posted: Jan 14 2011 at 7:08am
From the Opinion page in today's Journal.....

A GHOST TOWN

As a former resident of Middletown (38 years ago), I’m shocked and dismayed at the present condition of what was once truly an all-American city.

I graduated from Middletown High School in 1969, served a tour of duty in Vietnam and returned to my home town in 1971. As one who had spent his entire life to that point in Middletown, I was proud of how Middletown looked. It was a quaint, picturesque community, which looked like something straight out of the Saturday Evening Post. Yes, at that time, we Middletonians would even boast of how nice our town was with its clean streets and many shops and restaurants. Middletown literally felt good.

Due to personal reasons, I now find myself back in the home town of my youth. However, I’m appalled beyond belief at the disheveled and downright dirty condition of this once-beautiful city. I’ve returned to learn that the center of this town is no longer downtown but, instead, out by the freeway. ... What happened to this city? Where or who were the city planners? What kind of apathy has allowed such a thing to happen to what was once the pride of Ohio?

Today, the town has become a virtual ghost town. Central Avenue is a street no longer lined with shops bustling with activity. Instead, it’s dirty, filled with empty shells. ...

Middletown has become a butt of jokes among residents of other communities in the area. ... Yet I wonder if anyone cares. Apparently not — because, in the past year since I’ve been here, the city has decided to close Sunset Pool and now they’ve allowed one of the most historic places in the state to close — the Manchester Inn.

Where does it all end? Is this once-great, proud community destined or doomed to only chain restaurants and shopping elsewhere? Where is the heart and the culture of Middletown? ... I hate to think the town which I grew up in has been totally wiped out. But sadly, as I look around, I have to come to the conclusion that, due to apathy and poor planning, this town can only continue on to its inevitable destructive end. And I must say — it hurts.

Robert French Charles

Middletown

Welcome to our world Robert. Speaking on behalf of the many born and raised Middletonians on this forum, we join you in your frustration. As no surprise, the city leaders just don't understand what you are saying here. They are totally clueless as to how to fix this town.
Wots View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2011 at 11:13am
Very well said.
I am looking forward to the amusing responds from tbe peanut gallery.
Wots
Liberalism: Moochers Electing Looters to Steal from Producers.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2011 at 11:38am
I remember a kid by that name, growing up along the same route as me.
Jefferson/Roosevelt/old hs.
He would be a little older than me, which fits perfectly.
Small quiet guy, straight, athletic and a hard worker. Had a very pretty sister.

What is there to dispute in his letter?
We all see and experience the same thing(some more than others).
Though we don't like it we also have become used to the situation and de-sensitized unfortunately.

Yet everyone wants to focus on barroom antics and personality clashes on Council.
We need to ignore that nonsense and go right to the core community issues at every meeting.
Stay focused on what matters--if you don't walk into a field of crap, you probably won't step in any.

BUT:
take a break from it all next Sunday
come to the soon to be expensively renovated DAVID Finkleman auitorium
to hear the world-reknown, indescribably talented and incredibly entertaining
CHRIS THILE as part of THE PUNCH BROTHERS
You will only regret this if you are not there.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2011 at 11:48am
Would the sister's name be Brenda Charles, Spider? If so, she graduated in my class of 1966.
squeemy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2011 at 9:31am
wife and I will be at Punch Bros concert, Spider
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2011 at 10:07am
great squeem!
I doubt that you will be disappointed.
We need to fill more seats, so bring a few friends!
Look me up at the show--let me know if you want to go back and meet these guys if possible.
This will be my favorite show of the series--I like these guys that much, and I really like Keb Mo.
All four of the remaining shows will be very good, and a huge score for Middletown to have this kind of talent available at far less than big city prices. Two sets by all with no openers. In and out at a reasonable hour.

Vet--I believe the female that you mentioned mught have been an older sister--wasn't she homecoming queen? I believe there was a younger sister also. Very normal straight family. Glad to read someone of this backround and stature speaking up! This family lived it then and is living it now. They know the difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic