FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Fine Bit Of Parenting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Fine Bit Of Parenting
    Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 6:53am
Today's Journal...

Family sues schools for $1M
Couple takes action in federal court after incident involving a T-shirt worn by daughter.

MIDDLETOWN — A family with an extensive history of legal action against a number of school districts and municipalities has filed a $1 million civil lawsuit against Middletown City Schools.

Orlando Bethel — who refers to himself as a fire and brimstone preacher in court documents, and his wife, Glynis — filed the action Friday in Cincinnati federal court after one of their three children, Zoe, wore a T-shirt at the high school proclaiming “god hates (expletive)” and “repent or burn in hell.”

Why do some people insist on laying religion on people who haven't asked for it?

The Bethels have filed more than 50 similar federal lawsuits — mostly in the South — against school districts, police agencies, villages and cities

Why does any city and it's legal system take these people seriously with their track record? Waste of time and money to tie the courts up with this nonsense.

Sounds like Orlando babes and Glynis can't follow the rules. Move into a town, create some legal problems based on their "rights" and then flee. (apparently on their way to Tennessee to cause problems for those folks now.) The parents appear to be more like gypsys than people of religion.

On Friday, Orlando Bethel was arrested by Middletown police at the high school and charged with obstructing official business when officers attempted to talk with Zoe Bethel, according to a police report.

A fine example of parenting, creating community problems, embarrassing their kids and getting thrown in jail from a so-called man and woman professing the word of the Lord.

Is this an example of the type of unbalanced people Middletown attracts nowadays?

The Middletown schools don't need this problem. We all know it has enough problems it has created on its own.

middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 8:46am
When I was in fourth grade at Rosedale Mr. Petrocy made me take off a Spuds MacKenzie sweatshirt. Maybe I should consider filing a lawsuit?

Seems like this family takes their cues straight from Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church playbook.
  1. Make offensive statements at inappropriate moments.
  2. Sue when people attempt to intervene.
  3. Get name in the papers and news.
  4. Quietly settle out of court and move on to the next town.
  5. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
Troll achieved, as the saying goes.

People need to learn to not feed the trolls. The best way - the only way - to get rid of people like this is to simply ignore them. Ignore them, and you break the cycle. Without our participation in the process, they lack the key factor (the "oppression" of their freedom of speech/religion at the hands of the government) that allows them sustainability. Without our interaction, they cannot sue for being oppressed. No lawsuits = no money, and no publicity. They lose their sustainability, and they eventually go away.

Without our participation in this cycle they've created, they become no different than the crazy homeless guy standing on the corner with the sandwich board stating "THE END IS NEAR!"
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 9:13am
I wouldn't want to make a blanket statement here, however; I don't believe that children (minors under the age of 18) have free speech rights. These people probably came to Middletown thinking they could make a quick $, What should happen is that they are counter-sued for creating a public nuisance and for $2 million. No child has a legal right to wear that kind of clothing to school. That's what brought the school uniform craze to fruition. This actually might be the only time that I advocate this but Mr. Bethel, if you don't wish to be a member of this community, please leave!!!
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 9:21am
These people came here looking to file a lawsuit - I feel sorry for their kids.  It was my understanding the mother was at the school another day throwing holy water on kids.  It is people like this that give Christians a bad name. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 11:31am
Originally posted by TonyB TonyB wrote:

I wouldn't want to make a blanket statement here, however; I don't believe that children (minors under the age of 18) have free speech rights. These people probably came to Middletown thinking they could make a quick $, What should happen is that they are counter-sued for creating a public nuisance and for $2 million. No child has a legal right to wear that kind of clothing to school. That's what brought the school uniform craze to fruition. This actually might be the only time that I advocate this but Mr. Bethel, if you don't wish to be a member of this community, please leave!!!

I think they're doing just that TonyB. Article says they're headed to Tennessee, no doubt to look for another city to sue. Society pests who should be ignored by the general public, the courts, and the cities.

As John Lovitz said when he played Dukakis years ago on Saturday Night Live.....they are swarthy little people.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

[QUOTE=TonyB]
As John Lovitz said when he played Dukakis years ago on Saturday Night Live.....they are swarthy little people.

Good Lord Vet, how old are you man.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by randy randy wrote:

[QUOTE=TonyB] As John Lovitz said when he played Dukakis years ago on Saturday Night Live.....they are swarthy little people.

Good Lord Vet, how old are you man.

Randall Sue......How old am I?......I'm old enough to give me 51 years of working when I turn 70 in 8 more years as I head toward retirement with full SS. Uhh......how many years do you have til you retire, Randy Jane??? If it's as many as I think you have, you may not want to count or it'll make a grown man cry.

Like my dad told me when age was mentioned........

I may be old and shaped like a frog, but I can still make the women say ummmmm hot dog .....let 'em roll......
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 6:37pm
Randy - Vet is so old he remembers what day it was when Noah boarded the Ark. LOL

Hey,talking about the school's how come no one reported the lock down of the highschool and the gun incident ? I never seen it in the paper and the wife read about it on some news site.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 8:42pm
Hermes, the Journal was probably told not to report it by their masters, the schools and the city. Gives them a bad name......as if worrying about an image mattered anymore in this town.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 10:12pm

Hermes, the Journal was probably told not to report it by their masters, the schools and the city. Gives them a bad name......as if worrying about an image mattered anymore in this town.

Vet - I don't know where she read that but it was actually two incidents with a gun involved.We were downtown today and sitting at a red light and lots of traffic going down Central and the wife just blurts out "drive through",I said what ? She repeated,"drive through",she said look at all this traffic,they just drive through town not stopping for anything.This town is a drive through.We also noticed buildings with plywood over the windows that never had plywood before plus several houses have been plywooded.Sad time in Middeltown. Cry
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2011 at 6:43am
Your wife is very observant Hermes. Nothing of any interest downtown to stop for. (except that dynamo sitting on the corner of Broad and Central known as the PAC! And, of course, the PROPOSED/may happen,may not Cincy State "downtown campus" that will attract thousands, overwhelming the street and sidewalk capacity with the numbers who will be there. Yeah, sure it will.

The downtown has been a mini-ghost town for many years now. Sadly, the rest of Middletown is becoming like the downtown as to the lack of interest generated produced by a lack of activity. The whole city is becoming a ghost town where people leave town for work each morning, return each evening to sleep, with little to no activity once they arrive back in the city. It has gone from a city with activity years ago to a city where no one ventures out, except for necessities. The economy certainly has something to do with this lack of activity, but this town was starting to fold up within itself long before the recent recession arrived. IMO, it is becoming a drive-thru town just like your wife described the downtown area to be. I do not see an arts center nor a small commuter college campus bringing the city out of this funk. Decent jobs is the answer IMO. Gives people hope, a future, something to build on, extra money to spend outside the normal routine of bill paying and living from paycheck to paycheck. THAT is the stimulus for this town. Not arts centers and campuses. The focus on how to grow this town is all wrong. It's got to start with putting money in people's pockets to spend that will stimulate activity. Once people outside the city know people in the city have money, outside interest will be generated here creating more activity. (gotta be enough paying customers to start a business up, right?) The arts and college crap will come later after the activity has started. They are "add-ons" over and above the basic activity generators. JMO
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2011 at 8:31am
Vet - I concur with your assessment that without good-paying jobs coming to this city, any other development in the city will not succeed. The real question then becomes; what business or industry can be attracted to create the necessary impetus to move the city forward economically? You're correct in the thinking that if people have money to spend, the "add-ons" will take care of themselves.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2011 at 10:26am
TonyB- There is not one reason the city econ. devel department, the city manager, the planning director and others couldn't have gotten together years ago to develop a plan to attract new companies to town. Instead, they chose the easy way out to generate revenue by calling on the feds to send them revenue bail-out money to house the low income, welfare programs that have created this slumtown.

The road not taken by them could have included going after:

1. Fiber optics companies (see #2)

2. Research and Developement companies/centers (centrally located to pull talent from Dayton/Cincy as commuter workers)

3. Corporate warehousing operations (centrally located)

4. Communications companies

5. Data companies

6. Smaller, specialized "industrial park" type companies (perhaps lower wages than the larger corporations, but livable wages and bennies, nonetheless)

7. Energy companies like windmill turbines and "green project" companies

8. Transportation hubs for trucking (central location), small aircraft freight operations out of the airport.

9. Indianapolis is growing by leaps and bounds...what the heck are they doing to attract companies and to grow in a progressive fashion? No shame in "copy-catting" success. If you can't think of things on your own, no harm in emulating those that can, right?

YOU GOTTA TRY CITY LEADERS. YOU CAN'T SIT BACK FOREVER AND DEPEND ON FED HANDOUT PROGRAMS TO SUPPLY MONEY FOR THIS FRIKKIN' CITY. Mercy, how naive.
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2011 at 12:59pm

For many years some of us have been trying to get the city to do what it takes to attract businesses. I have ask them many times about copying more successful cities such as Blue Ash or Mason. Our leaders did copy other cities, but copying Over-The Rhine in Cincinnati (PAC) and Detroit (demolish everything in site) didn’t help correct our problems. If the city wants to attract businesses they should:

1. Start spending money like it is supposed to be spent. Stop over charging for every service and skimming off the extra and misappropriating the funds. Stop dreaming up ideas to steal more money from the citizens, no matter how illegal, unethical or dishonest it is. The city must maintain our infrastructure with the tax dollars they already collect (no billing it to citizens under the guise of curbs and gutters.) They also have to try to improve the image they have helped destroy.

2. Instead of having the highest taxes (both property and income) and the least amenities (some off the lowest performing schools in the state, horrible streets, parks not maintained, no swimming pool, hydraulic cesspool, that fine bombed-out look downtown, that fine sewer smell we have downtown because the city took all of the money out of the sewer separation fund, zoning and sign laws that would turn anyone away and the most corrupt government) that council seems to think will attract thousands of jobs and millions of dollars. The income tax should be lowered to 1%. I know most people think we can’t do this without losing services. The services like recording conversations between prisoners and their attorneys, ruining our exit off I-75 by allowing housing to be built on Rt. 122 instead of it being zone for commercial or industrial, changing zoning downtown so that most of our downtown is no longer zoned for businesses and then wonder why businesses a not coming to downtown. (Oh yeah, I forgot that we don’t want a hodge-podge although for years people went to downtowns of larger cities or to shopping malls because of the variety of different stores (what I would call a hodge-podge ). Also, by cutting taxes, we would need to cut back on city staff (over 200 people not counting police and firemen) and the corruption which would improve our city and our image. Middletown citizens pay a higher percentage of our income to the city than nearly any other city in the state. What do we get in return: “Hang some car hoods on a building downtown and people and businesses won’t notice that we are the highest taxed with the least amenities‘. Just ask AK Steel and Black Clawson. This is just a place to start getting our city back on the right track.

Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2011 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

Hey,talking about the school's how come no one reported the lock down of the highschool and the gun incident ? I never seen it in the paper and the wife read about it on some news site.
Why didn’t we read about this in the local newspaper??? For the reason, perhaps one need look no farther than 12/16/2010 Master Plan Steering Committee meeting minutes:

“Chapter 6 of the 2005 Master Plan dealing with Quality of Life issues. The meeting open with a discussion of factors that make a community a great place to live. Items mentioned in random order were: … • Positive newspaper … ”

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2011 at 8:09pm
A "positive newspaper" even if it evades the truth, distorts the real story reported to the citizens, helps cover up the city underworld that sponsors special individuals and their pet projects, covers up how taxpayer money is truly spent and protects the inner circle power people's secret agendas from the general majority of the city population.

Yeah, real respectable operation the Journal has become. The new owners of the Journal have prostituted it's services to the city John's. The Journal people of yesteryear are turning over in their graves.

Said it before, wouldn't use a copy now the way it is, even to line the bottom of the cat's box.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2011 at 8:45pm

... Said it before, wouldn't use a copy now the way it is, even to line the bottom of the cat's box.
Glad to hear that you are kind to animals!!! LOL  LOL  LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2011 at 10:22pm
So if that was in the 2005 master plan when does it start improving things ??

As I see it nothing has improved,it's only got worse.Maybe they need a new master plan.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 12:36am

So if that was in the 2005 master plan when does it start improving things ??

As I see it nothing has improved,it's only got worse.Maybe they need a new master plan.
Didn't you listen to the mayor's speech???  There is nothing wrong in Middletown--no problems at all--and he "tells all you naysayers to pack your bags and leave"!!!

Oh, but per Councilman Tom Allen, drop $2,000 off on your way out of town so that the citizens of Ward One can fix the canal issue for themselves.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 2:41am

Mike - Problem is I don't live in the same "fantasy Middeltown" that our good mayor does,I live in the Middeltown where there are no jobs,full of section 8,abandoned houses,boarded up business's,streets that are reverting back to dirt,water that taste like acid rain,poor performing schools,over paid and over rated city leaders,corruption (speculation) and I'm not sitting in a ghost train station waiting on the train nor am I filling out my application to start classes at the new non-existent college campus.

Yeah I'll be sure to pay an "exit fee" if I ever get the chance to pack up and leave.We need to be careful about mentioning "exit fee",that could be become the next new city ordinance.
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 1:22pm
Perhaps the Journal did not report on 2 alleged "gun incidents" at Middletown High because no such incidents actually occurred? There was one student who ranted in one class about how he was going to bring in a gun and shoot people.  This was quickly blown up by rumor into several threatened events supposedly to occur on specific days, which caused hundreds of students to fail to attend school on those days. The high school had extra police and security on hand, just to be safe, even though their investigation revealed no real threat.  Guess what? nothing happened on those days.  Gee, a teenager spouted off threats he had no intent of following through on? Now, that IS news...NOT.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

Perhaps the Journal did not report on 2 alleged "gun incidents" at Middletown High because no such incidents actually occurred? There was one student who ranted in one class about how he was going to bring in a gun and shoot people.  This was quickly blown up by rumor into several threatened events supposedly to occur on specific days, which caused hundreds of students to fail to attend school on those days. The high school had extra police and security on hand, just to be safe, even though their investigation revealed no real threat.  Guess what? nothing happened on those days.  Gee, a teenager spouted off threats he had no intent of following through on? Now, that IS news...NOT.

If the student was merely "spouting off" then why the extra security and the precautions ? If these steps were taken by the school then apperently they percieved a viable threat,that Ms. Andrew is news.

But we do appreciate you bringing this information to our attention.Had it made the "news" there would have been no speculation and the story would not have been "blown up" as you state.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

... hundreds of students to fail to attend school on those [2] days. ...
Yes, in my humble opinion, and probably in the opinion of most other reasonable people, that IS news!!!
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2011 at 7:22pm

Randy - Vet is so old he remembers what day it was when Noah boarded the Ark. LOL

Hermes, I'm not that old but even I remember the day when Noah boarded the Ark. As I recall, it was just starting to rain... lol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic