FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts From The New MHS Prin.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts From The New MHS Prin.
    Posted: Jun 20 2011 at 3:20pm
"Educators are to consciously view misbehavior as a teaching opportunity, and shift focus to a more positive, student-friendly approach to discipline... That’s one of our number one priorities for next year,” Rasmussen said. “This will also focus on our expectations from adults. It’s too often that in a system we set up a bunch of rules for kids, and then the adults just kind of do whatever. Like we teach reading, you also have to teach behavior in some way.”

So it's not that we need to get any tougher, it's than we need to get nicer.  Oh, and it's partly the adults fault too!  If there's one thing MHS has been for years and that is "student-friendly".  Confused
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2011 at 12:09pm
Atta boy! I knew you would jump all over this Smartman.

"Just proves my point"......and what point would that be Smartman?

Did anything in my post strike an accusatory finger at her? My whole post was about the lack of discipline based on the school system decision to abolish corporal punishment. Not on comments THAT SHE MADE in her article. I did not say she was responsible for the discipline problems. If you took the time to read the dam thing, I pointed the finger at the decision BY THE ENTIRE DISTRICT, to take corporal punishment out of the schools, be it by the state or by the Midd. schools themselves. Mercy! Read what is written for Ch---- sake.

The test scores speak for themselves. She is not the only target of blame. It is an indictment of the entire system and the reluctance to try successful district's methods. It is a statistical fact that this district is at the bottom in many categories and has been for years. It is a fact the only 5 of 30 indicators have been met since the indicator requirements were installed. It is a fact that this district is stuck in continual improvement after being on academic watch and emergency for a long time. Not my opinion but rather printed, verified, recorded facts. My complaint and impatience is that it has not changed in 10+ years and we keep throwing money at it to improve it with no results. We've had enough levies and money handouts to know that money isn't the answer for improvement. That leaves trying different practices emulating successful models. If you can't produce any success in a reasonable amount of time on your own, you find someone who has been successful and copy them, don't you?

I, like you, will wait until she has some time under her belt before "going negative" if I must.

Oh, and being hung with a new rope, I wouldn't give a crap whether it was new/rough or not, just so it held my extreme weight. Gotta get the job done right the first time snappin' the neck, right?
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2011 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Smartman Smartman wrote:

Good Lord Vet! She has not even hung a picture in her office!! Just proves my point, You would bitch even if they hung you with a new rope!!! It would still be too rough!! Give he a chance before you start spinning your negative web!!!Thumbs%20Up

As far as your remarks towards Vet.His posts are his view and he should be able to express them as he chooses,thats what this forum is for.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2011 at 11:59am
The problems that Middletown Schools have can only be solved by the Parents of the school kids being more involved with their kids.Until then we will be a fail.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2011 at 8:24am
Good Lord Vet! She has not even hung a picture in her office!! Just proves my point, You would bitch even if they hung you with a new rope!!! It would still be too rough!! Give he a chance before you start spinning your negative web!!!Thumbs%20Up
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2011 at 6:43am
Today's Journal...

Principal outlines philosophies
High school leader looks to improve discipline, raise test scores, support teachers.

Discipline

The answer in confronting discipline issues at MHS lies in the education of the staff, Cotter said, and making sure employees are aware of the nagging issues that may plague students

AND THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE SCHOOLS EITHER VOLUNTEERED OR WERE FORCED TO TAKE CORPORAL PUNISHMENT OUT OF THE SCHOOLS.....YOU NEED SOME EX-DRILL INSTRUCTORS TO GET THE MESSAGE THROUGH. THEY CAN DO IT HANDS-OFF AND STILL INSTILL DISCIPLINE.

According to the most recent data — the 2009-10 school year — from the Ohio Department of Education, MHS registered 59.8 disciplinary actions per 100 students. “Disciplinary actions” count a range of issues from truancy to fighting. The school also marked 34 school suspensions per 100 students.

During the same school year, there were 17 withdrawals for expulsion, up from 11 the year before.

59.8 ACTIONS PER 100 STUDENTS!!!!! AMAZING STAT. SOUNDS MORE LIKE LEBANON CORRECTIONAL THAN MHS. TOO MUCH TIME WASTED ON KEEPING KIDS IN LINE RATHER THAN TEACHING. STEREOTYPING HERE.....DO YOU THINK SOME OF THIS CAN BE ATTRIBUTED TO THE INCREASE IN SECTION 8/LOW INCOME AND THE DIFFERENT THINGS THAT ARE ATTACHED TO THAT SEGMENT OF SOCIETY? IF SO, WHY DOES THE CITY WANT TO HURT THE SCHOOL OPERATIONS BY SATURATING THE SCHOOLS WITH THESE BEHAVIORAL ISSUES? (ANSWER: TO HELP THEIR SECTION 8 SLUM LORD BUDDIES WITH FED PAYOUT DOLLARS AND TO USE A PORTION OF THOSE PAYOUT DOLLARS FOR REVENUE INSTEAD OF THROUGH TAXES ON PAYROLL AND COMPANIES.)

Next year, all Middletown schools will be working under a common disciplinary initiative called Positive Behavior Support. Uniform expectations will be set up in areas like hallways and lunchrooms, Superintendent Greg Rasmussen said. Educators are to consciously view misbehavior as a teaching opportunity, and shift focus to a more positive, student-friendly approach to discipline

DO YOU REALLY THINK THIS WILL WORK, RASMUSSEN? THE TROUBLEMAKERS WILL LAUGH AT YOU AND YOUR "KINDER/GENTLER" NEW PROGRAM.

Cotter, impressed with last year’s results, said OGT passing rates among seniors improved by 25 percent in both the fall and spring semesters compared to the corresponding semesters the year before.

According to the most recent state data, 75 percent of Middletown sophomores passed the reading portion, about 70 percent passed the math section, 72 percent passed the writing portion, 64 percent passed the science section and 68 percent passed the social studies portion.

The state requires that 75 percent pass to earn positive marks on the district’s annual report card issued by the state.

BOTTOM LINE......MIDDLETOWN'S TEST SCORES ARE STILL THE LOWEST IN THE AREA AND HAVE BEEN FOR 10+ YEARS. THEY HAVE NEVER GONE UP IN ANY CATEGORY IN ANY APPRECIABLE AMOUNT. MIDDLETOWN ALSO HAS THE LOWEST GRADUATION RATE ACCORDING TO A STORY A FEW WEEKS AGO. YOU ALL HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO BEFORE YOU CAN ACTUALLY HAVE A REASON TO GET EXCITED, DON'T YOU? IT IS A SHADOW OF A WHAT IT WAS YEARS AGO AND NEVER HAS RECOVERED.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic