FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Banned From Union Labor Day Parade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Banned From Union Labor Day Parade
    Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 10:44am

Remember the “Look for the Union Label” song?

It was by a garment labor union that began in New York City. The song encouraged people to “look for the union label” and buy garments “made in the U.S.A.” The song was popular but it couldn’t help the unions because the problem was that US made garments were much more expensive than overseas garments. Now most garments are made overseas from countries free of labor unions such as China.

Continued: Republicans Banned From “Union” Labor Day Parade
Lebanonian View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lebanonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2011 at 10:58pm
Yes, offshoring can be blamed squarely on unions. All happy now?

Offshoring is purely a financial chess game that reamed the middle class in this country out of their ability to earn a decent living. But because unions are something that conservatives have made a tar baby, we can't admit that we're saps for blaming an easy target.

Way to go for falling for flawed zero sum logic. It just boggles my mind that in a city that is ground zero for the destruction of the American middle class, you guys here on this board have this incredibly hardened conservative group hive mind going.

Completely naive, shallow reasoning, dude.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2011 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Lebanonian Lebanonian wrote:

Yes, offshoring can be blamed squarely on unions. All happy now? Offshoring is purely a financial chess game that reamed the middle class in this country out of their ability to earn a decent living. But because unions are something that conservatives have made a tar baby, we can't admit that we're saps for blaming an easy target. Way to go for falling for flawed zero sum logic. It just boggles my mind that in a city that is ground zero for the destruction of the American middle class, you guys here on this board have this incredibly hardened conservative group hive mind going. Completely naive, shallow reasoning, dude.

Defending the union side isn't in the cards for me anymore.

Background...

Raised by my grandparents through high school before going to college for a year and a half and then into the military. Grandpa was a 46 year Armco union man running the 4 high temper mill in West Processing. Heard stories daily about how bad the management was...not to be trusted.. not the working man's friend in the work place. Got it honestly. That was in the 60's. Believed it and held the same beliefs through 8 employers (all non-union shops) and for over 43 years (since 1972) in the work force and paid the price for doing so. Wasn't liked at all by management. Even have a tattoo on my left arm with the grim reaper and a saying "Death to management". That was in 1992.

Fast forward to today...

Will vote for Issue 2. Having worked in non-union shops for all these years and discovering union workers pay approx. 9% toward benefits costs while I have been paying 15-20% out of my check for my portion of bennies costs, still negotiating raises for 2-3 years in advance for work not done yet while I am on the merit system and receive a % raise AFTER the work has been done based on the year's contributions to the business, paying into my retirement with some help from the employer contribution while also helping to pay into the retirement for public union workers while they pay very little, and seeing what union folks make per hour as opposed to non-union for similar skilled jobs, all have taken it's toll on any support for the union side anymore. Personally, I'm tired of helping to foot the bill so that some union folks can live a more lavish lifestyle than I do, adding the insult of having some of my pay taken for that priviledge. No thanks, I'm through with union support. My hope is that Issue 2 passes so that union folks can start paying their fair share and leveling the playing field between union and non-union sectors. It has been out of balance far too long. JMO

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 7:10am
Now they've gone and done it........With Issue 2 failing, we will have continued union demands that will absorb 70% + of the city's budget. Don't understand why people don't want their public employees to be rated on merit rather than pre-negotiated raises on work not done as yet and why people don't want the union folks to pay their fair share of benefits costs.

The union folks did a great job protecting their little utopia of taxpayer paid bennies/retirements, higher wages than most, additional raises through step increases between the contract raises, avoidance of the merit system for contributions and still get to bring cities to their knees by striking anytime they are mad at something. And they did it with inaccurate political adds that misrepresented the truth.......AND the people actually bought into their bullcrap! Amazing!

Think Kasich is working on a plan to approach this from a different direction? It is important to protect cities (and taxpayer money) from greedy negotiation tactics used at various times, while busting the budget of towns across Ohio. JMO

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 9:17am

Just have to lay them all off I guess and then maybe the union members may question how thier union bosses can afford the life style they live and how can the big unions gives hundreds of millions of dollars to influence our politicians and elections.Honestly I don't know the real truth about what the actual effects of SB5 would have been I have heard so much mis truths spoken about it that it clouds the issue but it seems ludicrous that 70% of what this city takes in goes for wages and benefits for its public unions.What is the answer for Middletown on this matter and would the Firemen,Policemen,Teachers etc.. Really choose to keep what they have at the expense of thier brothern being laid off? Maybe that question to them could be put on a ballot...

How about it can any one answer this?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 9:55am

One of two things will happen here in Middletown:  Either there will be layoffs, or someone at City Hall will magically find a big wad of dough “tucked away in one of our other funds” to keep all the public safety forces all aboard until they can raise the payroll tax.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

One of two things will happen here in Middletown:  Either there will be layoffs, or someone at City Hall will magically find a big wad of dough “tucked away in one of our other funds” to keep all the public safety forces all aboard until the can raise the payroll tax.

But But I was told that if issue 2 failed that the unions could decide how many fireman and policemen the city has ? Someone just left a flyer on my door wanting me to show up at the november 15th council meeting to talk in front of city council and tell them not to close the fire station on tytus ave.Complete with phone numbers and email addresses of my ward councilman,the mayor and miss judy (great timing huh?)the only thing they left out was a contact number for the firemens union so I could ask them about issue two and what I was told if it passed and why the union just cant negotiate enough people to keep my fire department open.As far as the clowns in the city government I refuse to waste my time trying to convey ideas or anything else as most of them seem to have their own agenda and nothing can change their course.Screw the tax levies I don't eat pizza any more it seems to leave a bad taste in my mouth these days.

And to hell with voting ever again It seems that I jinx anything and anybody that I have voted for in the last 20 years.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 1:22pm
Oh and if you were the dork that rang my doorbell at 8:30am this morning to leave me the stupid "save fire station 84" flyer please dont do it again my wife was very pissed about you waking me up from my beauty nap.
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 3:59pm
Bocephus-don't give up or stop voting you always have good posts and you and your wife I'm sure care about this city. This is one of many elections that will make a difference. Issue 2 needed to be debated it hit the presses too quick. But the unions better be prepared for a all out war when it comes levey time. The state ain't giving us anymore money, right or wrong the Gov. Is going to balance the books. Like I posted before go over your exit plan for a fire with your kids and make sure your home insurance is paid up and your covered for fire damage, something has to give and services maybe out the door and alot of sub-contractors and a part-time fire dept. Maybe in our future. On a side note the school board meetings ought to be interesting with Mr. Witt taking part. Very honest hard working blue collar guy won't see many button down shirts or ties on this fellow straight shooter.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic