FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looks Like Repubs Spend Too

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looks Like Repubs Spend Too
    Posted: Feb 05 2012 at 5:20pm
From today's Journal.....

Report: Butler County has ‘significant’ debt load
State auditor’s office critical of the $91 million owed from general fund

Butler County spends significantly more of its taxpayers’ money on debt compared to other Ohio counties.
A 200-page state performance audit analyzed by the JournalNews/Middletown Journal shows the county spends $26,248 per 1,000 residents on debt compared to just $86 for peer counties.

Comparably, Hamilton County spends approximately $13,000 per 1,000 residents and Montgomery County approximately $4,600. Warren County has no debt. In the state auditor’s report, it said Ohio counties of a similar population size to Butler County averaged $86.

“The infrastructure that we put in will serve us for years to come far beyond what the debt service is. It’s kind of the cost of doing business,” Furmon said.
Butler County Auditor Roger Reynolds is critical of the debt.
“The county’s been running debt service too high,” Reynolds said. “Like our neighboring county to the east, Warren County, they’ve done quite well with revenues in the economic downturn because they’ve have a lower debt level. Butler County has to be more selective in the purchasing and making sure they have cash to make the purchase than go out and incur debt, no different than everyday citizens do

THE REPUBLICAN PARTY HAS A HABIT OF ACCUSING THE DEMOCRATS OF TAX AND SPEND. SINCE THE REPUBLICAN PARTY HAS DOMINATED BUTLER COUNTY AND HAS A VISE GRIP ON POLITICS AND SPENDING IN BUTLER COUNTY, LOOKS TO ME LIKE THEY ENJOY SPENDING MONEY TOO. NEXT TIME THE REPUBLICANS CRITICIZE THE OTHER PARTY OF TOO MUCH SPENDING, PERHAPS SOMEONE NEEDS TO REMIND THEM OF THIS LITTLE EPISODE. FOR THE RECORD, I'M NOT A STAUNCH DEMOCRATIC PARTY SUPPORTER EITHER. THEY SPEND TOO MUCH MONEY ON FREEBIE SOCIAL PROGRAMS FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T DESERVE IT. JUST THINK BOTH PARTIES LIKE TO TAKE THE PEOPLE'S MONEY AND WASTE IT WITHOUT FEELING ANY OBLIGATION AT ALL TO DO THE RIGHT THING. PUBLIC LYNCHINGS ARE IN ORDER.    
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2012 at 7:51pm

Vet,

I agree, and what makes it worse is that it ends up causing deficit spending in ensuing years.  Such overspending, and the resultant crippling debt, is the real bugaboo at all levels of government. It results in huge chunks of governmental budgets being wasted on paying interest instead of paying for the necessary governmental functions. It has been rampant at all levels (federal, state, county, and local) and it has been practiced by not only Republicans and Democrats, but also by non-partisan governments.  (Remember, the debt that our city owes has been growing every year, too!!!)

Look at any budget, from the smallest family to the largest government.  Take away the the debt, or even just the interest on that debt, and see what a huge difference it makes in the financial health of that entity.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2012 at 10:44am
Mr. P,

I concur,  wholeheartedly!!! The Federal debt  interest payment is $400b!!! That would pay for all the current deficit spending on discretionary items. That's what makes it so imperative that we go back to the deficit surpluses of the late 1990's to shrink the debt and reduce the interest paid. Then we need to vote these deficit spending morons back into the private sector and elect fiscally responsible legislators!!! Then those legislatures need to exercise some common sense from government administration to streamline the efficient and effective use of taxpayer revenues. The ridiculous needs to be removed from our regulations and our tax code!!! Debt and interest payments are the most ridiculous thing I can think of for politicians who claim to be looking out for the future of our country and community.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2012 at 11:29am
The Butler Cty Commissioners and most the "leaders" in the county, are among the worse in Ohio. Look at the three commissioners, and of course, the two felons whom left office. Furman was a police man, Dix, a Dem turned Repub to win elections, and Carpenter is very far over her head, and is extremely vindictive. Remember the three women whom sued including Rhonda Freeze, who won a settlemen, because the Commissioners were too lazy and apparently suffer from lack of focus, who forgot to evaluate salary overpayment across the spectrum.

And, the Administrator they offered the job said "no thanks", not because of the tendency for Butler Cty to make felons out of politicians, or elected officials, rather, the reputation of Butler Cty using scape goats to blame their problems on others. It is the worst managed entity in my opinion, of any county in Ohio. So, they spend all this money to build Ivory Towers. Sound familiar Middletown?

Middletown has its own debt servicing problem. They pay too much in salaries and benefits. The airport, the golf course, the buildings awaiting to be used someday...someday when someone has a need. Butler Cty is not the county to live, and Middletown is not the city to reside. They both have significant debt issue problems and spend money without thought as to what is gained by the expense?

Also, doesn't this also apply to the MCSD? talk about debt serving by the taxpayers for buildings that provide limited return. So, the county, Middletown, and MCSD all have debt problems and a taste for buildings in a grandeur manner, without reasonable consideration of need.      
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2012 at 12:16pm
Butler County Commission/Admin--lol(hey wait--they represent us(well--supposedly) and that is some of OUR $$!)

Tony--you crack me up with your latest spending proposals.
Re-furbish the Sorg and create a school for the perfoming arts?
Are you aware of the $$ per pupil within those confines?
Can we focus on the schools that we have, and a fundamental education first?

Besides--you moved from here, and when you were here, you could never afford to support any artistic activities anyway.

What are the costs of your plan, and how will they be paid?
Do you support the arts and community in your new location?

I like Vivian's thinking much better.

Middletown and Butler Co--how much worse can it get?
Could we get some meaningful employment anytme soon?
We are losing employers at an alarming rate.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2012 at 1:52pm
Spiderjohn,

I apologize that I don't have the financial wherewithal to afford to support artistic activities. Some of us just aren't as fortunate as you seem to be. My suggestion was not a "spending proposal". I was simply responding to the idea that a new high school auditorium would have to be financed as an "add-on" and not as part of the basic capital costs. I have no idea what the costs would be other than the renovation of the Opera House. That's what my post said, if you'd bother to take the time to read it instead of formulating a personal attack. Damn straight I moved, with the kind of "forward" thinking displayed in this town, any suggestion is shot down without consideration. Good luck straightening it all out!!!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2012 at 5:41pm
Come on Tony B
no attack at all
u might b 2 sensitive 2 my quoting of your version of your situation

hey--I support the arts locally and elsewhere
I have purchased at Beau Verre and the Pendleton
And I visited the current MHS auditorium Saturday evening
Let me tell you--the LAST thing our school system needs is a new auditorium
That place is wonderful from the seating to the backstage to the functionality

Your thinking sounded very expensive and un-necessary imo
yes--I still live here
and we will eventually solve our issues

so don't worry
support the arts
support something--starting with yourself!
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2012 at 6:18pm
"Perhaps I might be too sensitive to my quoting of your version of your situation."

"Beside-- you moved from here, and when you were here, you could never afford to support any artistic activities anyway."

I don't recall quoting my version of my situation. Since you don't know my situation, why would I be sensitive about it. Unless you know more about my situation than I do, and if that is the case, please enlighten me about my situation in respect to what it is that I don't know about my situation.

As to my support of the arts, I actually prefer to participate in them and have done so in Middletown and elsewhere locally. The only times that I haven't participated in the arts was when I had an employment conflict. I actually concur with the statement that the current MHS auditorium is one of the best in the area in terms of functionality. I know, I've worked there before. If, however; they are going to turn the high school building into a junior high/middle school, and building a new auditorium and athletic gymnasium are considered local-option add-ons not funded by the state; some options start to open up. I am pretty sure that they can't take the high school auditorium and "add it on" to a new building in the same way they can't add the Wade E. Miller gym. All I asked was, couldn't you solve a multitude of problems with one decision? It only sounds expensive when thought of as a single situation. If you combine the resources to solve the problem and meet some of the renovation threshold for state reimbursement, it starts to look better.  They asked for suggestions and I made one.

As for supporting myself, I do ok. As to the rest, keep going to the shows and keep buying the art at the PAC. Someone needs to support the arts and the artists and I appreciate the support.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2012 at 11:19pm
February 3, 1911  Friday    Middletown News-Signal, Middletown, Ohio

BALANCE IN TREASURY
  Deputy Auditor Crawford has completed the monthly statement giving the financial condition on Butler County. The balance on hand Jan. 1, was $466,585.50. The receipts during the month were $319,188.23 and the disbursements $224,511.60 leaving a balance on hand Feb. 1, of $562,167.34.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2012 at 3:37am
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

February 3, 1911  Friday    Middletown News-Signal, Middletown, Ohio

BALANCE IN TREASURY
  Deputy Auditor Crawford has completed the monthly statement giving the financial condition on Butler County. The balance on hand Jan. 1, was $466,585.50. The receipts during the month were $319,188.23 and the disbursements $224,511.60 leaving a balance on hand Feb. 1, of $562,167.34.
WHAT?!?!? A government entity spending ($224.5K) less than they take in ($319.2K)?!?!? Why, what was wrong with those folks???  Didn't they realize that the taxpayers have plenty of money for screwball government schemes???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2012 at 7:17am

....and just think Mike they posted these numbers every month in the newspaper for all the citizens to see.

Yep we've come a long way over the past 100 years...however I believe we got lost along the way and have ended up going in the wrong direction.

rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2012 at 10:14am
Is that balanced or "Super-balanced"?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic