FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bicentennial Commons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bicentennial Commons
    Posted: Mar 09 2012 at 10:56am

Please send an email to City Hall and thank you for your support on this matter before they start renaming every thing in Middletown.

What do you think our old teacher would say if they walked into a classroom today?
And I believe the students would be in a world of do-do...LOL

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2012 at 8:59am

Mike....Parking is sometimes scarce when I go down to Bicentennial Commons to visit the "engraved family brick" I purchased some years ago. Offhand, I don't remember the year or the price. It seems like the base price may have been $20 at that time?

Vet...The fold out lunch tables in the gym were leg killers weren't they? Had the same teachers. Hattie Holmes was one of my favotite teachers. I will never forget her spelling tests. The thing I remember most about the lawn fetes was having a handfull of those tickets. I thought I had a handfull of gold.

I digress....Council....DO NOT enact Ms. Mort's legislation !!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2012 at 6:35am
Originally posted by 409 409 wrote:

Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'">
If you want to leave the name as it is that’s fine alsoHave it removed from the agenda.Please call or email City Council Members and voice your opinion.Let your voice be heard!<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><O:P></O:P></SPAN>

I would be inclined to leave the name as is. One can only guess what may happen in that area.
George Crout was my principal at Wilson Elementary (grades K-6). Shows ya how young I am. Big%20smile

Might want to start thinking about an appropriate name for that exquisite and overused parking area across Carmody Blvd.!

I also went to Highview Elementary when George Crout was principal. Had J.E. Seamon for 6th grade (some had Elsie Ellison (Tiger's wife perhaps) for 6th in the library), Hattie Holmes for 5th, Betty Fay for 4th. Can't remember 3rd or 2nd grade. Remembering Ms. Pratt.( Mike Pratt's (MUM) mother?) Everyone remembers Ms. Pratt. How about those blazing hot summer lawn fetes at the school? The bent basketball rims out on the blacktopped playground. The fold out tables in the wall at lunch in the combo gym, lunchroom. The stage at the one end of the gym. Had everything in one place back then. No separate auditorium/gymnasium. Not a bad school and was sorry to see it go.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2012 at 1:55am
Originally posted by 409 409 wrote:

Might want to start thinking about an appropriate name for that exquisite and overused parking area across Carmody Blvd.!

I think they already have a name for that area.  It is “NEEDLE PARK”!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2012 at 1:45am

“An ode from City Hall”

We cannot listen to little persons,

filled with negativity.

Your opinions are always the worst ones,

clouded by objectivity.

You try to fog us with the facts,

which we can’t tolerate.

Common sense our theory lacks,

we’d rather obfuscate.

We don’t care if you like our plans,

or if you think they’re funny.

We don’t need you to be our fans,

We just need your money.

We’re thrilled to death o’er history,

And find it quite exciting;

If we get it wrong, we don’t worry,

as with phony “period lighting”.

Art and culture? You can’t see it!

You’re insufficiently pensive.

But we deserve it—we guarantee it,

Although it’s quite expensive.

Since we’re your leaders, you must provide,

the expensive toys we covet.

Paying higher taxes? Down deep inside,

You know, for us, you’ll love it!

So be good soldiers, bear the load,

while our heads are in the sand.

Forget the sewer, forget the road!

Just bow with cash in hand!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2012 at 11:05pm

If you want to leave the name as it is that’s fine also
Have it removed from the agenda.
Please call or email City Council Members and voice your opinion.
Let your voice be heard!

I would be inclined to leave the name as is. One can only guess what may happen in that area.
George Crout was my principal at Wilson Elementary (grades K-6). Shows ya how young I am. Big%20smile
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2012 at 9:25pm
As if we don't have enough problems, now we are going to play the name game with parks.

PacmanCool
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2012 at 3:46pm
If you want to leave the name as it is that’s fine also
Have it removed from the agenda.
Please call or email City Council Members and voice your opinion.
Let your voice be heard!

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2012 at 2:43pm

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">409Since this park was named </SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">Bicentennial Commons </SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">in honor of the history of MiddletownI can not think of anyone that has done more to preserve the history of Middletown than George Crout.

The citizens of Middletown should have a voice in this matter.Please email City Council and either nominate your choice or request that this park be named in honor of George Crout.<SPAN style="COLOR: black">Larry Mulligan<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN><SPAN style="COLOR: black; mso-ascii-font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-hansi-font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">larrym@</SPAN>cityofmiddletown.orgAJ Smith <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN><SPAN style="COLOR: black; mso-ascii-font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-hansi-font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">asmith@</SPAN>cityofmiddletown.orgJoe Mulligan<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN><SPAN style="COLOR: black; mso-ascii-font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-hansi-font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">joem@</SPAN>cityofmiddletown.orgAnn Mort<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN> <SPAN style="COLOR: black; mso-ascii-font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-hansi-font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">annm@</SPAN> cityofmiddletown.orgDan Picard<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><SPAN style="COLOR: black; mso-ascii-font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-hansi-font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">danp@cityofmiddletown.org</SPAN></SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Anita Scott Jones  </SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><SPAN style="COLOR: black; mso-ascii-font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-hansi-font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">asjones@</SPAN><SPAN style="COLOR: black; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ascii-font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-hansi-font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">cityofmiddletown.org</SPAN><SPAN style="COLOR: black; mso-ascii-font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-hansi-font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> </SPAN></SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Josh Laubach<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN><SPAN style="COLOR: black; mso-ascii-font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-hansi-font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">joshual@</SPAN> cityofmiddletown.org<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

We will not listen.

We will not hear.

Ignoring the public.

We've made that quite clear.

We are puppets of power

We do right by this town

It's not a hopeless issue

Our decisions are sound.

So get on board

The "good news" train

It's looking like sunshine

No chance of rain.

Cinci State will save us.

So will the arts.

It's we and MMF'ers

Who have all the smarts

You peons know nothing

Just wait and you'll see.

We'll tell you all

How it will be.

Stay out of our business

You people haven't a clue

We'll get what we want

To hell with you.

I would imagine that would be the general response when approaching council these days.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2012 at 2:16pm

Since this park was named
Bicentennial Commons in honor of the history of Middletown
I can not think of anyone that has done more to preserve the history of Middletown than George Crout.

The citizens of Middletown should have a voice in this matter.

Please email City Council and either nominate your choice or request that this park be named in honor of George Crout.
Larry Mulligan  larrym@cityofmiddletown.org
AJ Smith  asmith@cityofmiddletown.org
Joe Mulligan  joem@cityofmiddletown.org
Ann Mort   annm@ cityofmiddletown.org
Dan Picard 
danp@cityofmiddletown.org
Anita Scott Jones 
asjones@cityofmiddletown.org
Josh Laubach  joshual@ cityofmiddletown.org
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2012 at 1:20pm
Vivian...I agree this should be removed from the agenda & Ms. Mort should be the one to request removal. Surely she knows this is a very bad precedent ?
I believe this is the kind of stuff we'll see out of her (no substance) after listening to her at the council meetings. I hope I'm wrong !
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2012 at 12:41pm

Ordinance No. O2012-10, an ordinance renaming the Bicentennial Commons the J. Knight Goodman Bicentennial Commons.

Council Members
    When we built the new schools the student, parents and the public were given the opportunity to voice their opinion on what they thought the new name of each building should be. I believe it is inappropriate to name this public park after Mr. Goodman.
    Since this is a public park I think the tax payers should be given the same opportunity to give their input into renaming this public space over the next 60 days.
    Therefore I would like to request that Ordinance No. 02012-10 be removed from the agenda.

I would like to nominate that the
Bicentennial Commons be renamed in honor of George Crout, life long resident, educator, author and historian.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic