FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CITIES GOING BROKE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CITIES GOING BROKE
    Posted: Aug 22 2012 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by LMAO LMAO wrote:

Would someone please buy A.J. a toy firetruck.LOL

LOLLOLLOL
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2012 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by lrisner lrisner wrote:

Vet, you have clearly proven that you ARE just mad because the city employees have better bens than you. Something I always suspected. That is the "childish" thing I have referred to many times. As to what they do get in bens and pay, i have said many times that if you think that their total compensation is too high, then you can argue that if you like and we can compare their compensation to similar jobs and see if they are overpaid. Your ranting about bens is just stupid and childish. I was right after all, at least in your case.Grow up.

Thank you Irisner for the critique. I will take your words of wisdom under advisement. I cherish every criticism concerning my personality, especially coming from one who is as knowledgeable as you on people assessment. I feel confident that your more mature approach will certainly set a benchmark for me to follow in the future. You are a joy to communicate with and I look forward to your more positive thinking to set that example. Thank you so much, bud.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2012 at 9:40am
Would someone please buy A.J. a toy firetruck.LOL
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2012 at 6:54am
Vet, you have clearly proven that you ARE just mad because the city employees have better bens than you. Something I always suspected. That is the "childish" thing I have referred to many times. As to what they do get in bens and pay, i have said many times that if you think that their total compensation is too high, then you can argue that if you like and we can compare their compensation to similar jobs and see if they are overpaid.

Your ranting about bens is just stupid and childish. I was right after all, at least in your case.

Grow up.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2012 at 6:13am
Originally posted by chmoore1 chmoore1 wrote:

Vet:  Bottom line is, we agree on this problem being too big to resolve.  All I was looking for was for you to stop excluding yourself from the "problem" side.  This is the first time that I know of that you have included yourself with the masses.  Previously, you always made it sound like "all of these other people are wasting my money."  Now, you understand that you have also been within the system.  I'm not excluding myself, either.  It's part of the culture that we live in. Friends?  "I've got my share of friends. How 'bout you? Do you have any that will admit it?"  I have you beat on the friends' deal  I have one more than you have----I have you.    chmoore

Hell, I knew I was part of the problem because I'm one of many who keeps allowing the ones who run the city to conduct "business as usual" while doing nothing more than complaining about the way they do their jobs. I am as guilty as the rest for allowing them to continue their ways instead of organizing and making the change needed. Same way at the state and national levels too. We all complain....we all want to do something about it.... we all want to "throw the bums out"..but for me, I can't find the solution to make people want to actually organize, especially in this town. You can't get more than 10 people to show up at meetings. I don't have a clue why people won't come to the meetings that have transpired over the years. Lazy? Too many family activities and no time for community meetings to change things? Enough interest to complain but not quite enough to act? No clue what is happening in this town? Don't care what is happening in this town? Or all of the above? Dunno. But I do know this.....the city leaders are counting on this to continue as it does them a tremendous favor by not having to worry about any citizen resistance nor recalls. They love our apathy....and we are losing the battle because of it. They win everytime because we don't have enough people to force the issues. We are no threat and they know it. Sad.
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2012 at 5:22pm
Vet:  Bottom line is, we agree on this problem being too big to resolve.  All I was looking for was for you to stop excluding yourself from the "problem" side.  This is the first time that I know of that you have included yourself with the masses.  Previously, you always made it sound like "all of these other people are wasting my money."  Now, you understand that you have also been within the system.  I'm not excluding myself, either.  It's part of the culture that we live in. Friends?  "I've got my share of friends. How 'bout you? Do you have any that will admit it?"  I have you beat on the friends' deal  I have one more than you have----I have you.    chmoore
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2012 at 8:06am
And so it is ch.

"The day when Viet Vet has finally had to admit that he is part of the problem, and not part of the solution"

I was cast into the "problem" as it involves working in this "wasteful" environment due to requirements of the job. The situation is too large for either of us to find a solution. Are you part of the solution? Have you found the answers? Unless you're the poster boy for the solution for government waste, your criticism of me is misdirected and really has no value. You too, are part of the problem if you have worked in the public sector as to waste of taxpayer dollars.

"Oh, by the way, is my coffee ready?"

If you qualify with a background check and have a need to be on base, come and get your coffee bud. Got a hot cup right here for you. While here, you can enjoy all that your tax money buys. We might even let you go the gym or grab a chair or two out of the dumpster for the old house.

"What a hypocrite"

Aren't we all to some extent? glass houses ch. glass houses.

"You must be a joy to work with"

I've got my share of friends. How 'bout you? Do you have any that will admit it?

EVERYONE DOES IT TO SOME DEGREE." My point exactly

Uhh, that "EVERYONE" includes you ch. Why are you excluding yourself from this when you are a part of that "EVERYONE"?
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2012 at 7:33am
Vet: it is indeed a glorious day.  The day when Viet Vet has finally had to admit that he is part of the problem, and not part of the solution.  The day that he has had to stand in front of the mirror and admit that everything that he has complained about with government waste and the almighty taxpayer dollar is the same thing that he has participated in for years.  And with no apology. In fact, you want an attaboy because you make coffee for the "team."  I've never claimed to be a saint.  All I tried to do is make you understand that your rants about how people waste your precious tax-dollar is precisely what you do. "If you're gonna fire all who use the computers here on base for personal reasons such as reading on-line newspapers,etc., you will need to fire the entire base personnel including contractors, government workers and the military people too. EVERYONE DOES IT TO SOME DEGREE."  My point exactly!  In your mind, firing everyone in the third most costly government-spending realm (yes, I said it---the "military") is what you've been spouting for years.  So stop bitching about it.  I have simply employed YOUR tactic of trying to be the waste-watcher and time-manager on this blog.   What a hypocrite.  You can't argue the facts, and when you get cornered your reaction is "well everybody does it."  You must be a joy to work with.   Oh, by the way, is my coffee ready?   chmoore
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2012 at 6:29am
OK ch. I won't waste my time nor yours discussing the differences between the public and private sectors. We obviously will never agree on this topic so both of us are wasting our time on the one-upsmanship thing. You continue to enjoy your side of the fence and I'll enjoy mine.

By the way, I'm here at work on YOUR government computer, but I am on my time....my choice for some peace and quiet. It is 5:58AM and I don't start until 7:30AM. Been getting to work 1 1/2 -2 hours early for 6 years now. Open the labs, turn on lab equipment and make coffee for the people coming in at the regular time. No one else in the frikkin' parking lot. Does that rate an atta-boy on your surveillance of my time since you are the self-imposed spokesperson for the taxpayer.....(I'm a card carrying taxpayer also, by the way)....or doesn't that get me anything on your grading scale?

If you're gonna fire all who use the computers here on base for personal reasons such as reading on-line newspapers,etc., you will need to fire the entire base personnel including contractors, government workers and the military people too. EVERYONE DOES IT TO SOME DEGREE. Quit being so naive. It's government run. Hell, they let us have access to You Tube. Got some other news for you too ch. Since you are the Tax Money Time Ranger and are so concerned about the use of time on base for YOUR tax dollars invested, there is a base gym where active/retired military, active/retired government people and contractors go to exercise. They take anywhere from and hour to 2 hours to do so. They even shower afterwards which wastes more of your precious tax dollars. And YOU helped pay for the gym! Some people even leave base for lunch and take more than an hour to eat. Others go to retirement or job transfer gatherings at a restaurant and take more than their alloted time to do so. Dam 'em!!!! And hey!....you wouldn't believe what they throw away in the dumpsters here on base. Chairs, tables.....all paid for by YOUR tax money. Might want to put that down in your little book of time/money wasting catastrophes (with YOUR tax money of course) ch, there is time management waste in the military, public and private sectors and in union and non-union shops. I wouldn't get my panties in a knot about my situation. ALL of us do it, no matter where you work. Been going on for decades. I'm quite sure you have had your share of time wasting over the years too, ESPECIALLY if you have worked in the academic or public sector worlds. You ain't no saint on this either. glass houses ch, glass houses.

And now, if you don't mind ch, I'll read the Journal on-line.
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2012 at 11:35pm
Vet: you're so full of baloney it's not funny. What--you work for a government contractor and don't get paid from tax money?.  "The Air Force is but one small segment of my company's business clients.  All of the funds collected for both private companies as well as the government is placed in one big pot...."  Ok, so SOME of the money is "government" money. "The money collected from government contracts at WP does not translate to usage only for employees who do government work."  What in the world does that mean? (By the way, I didn't exclude you from being a taxpayer.)  If you earn $10.00 from tax money, it's money collected by "our" taxes. As you complain about the city and school districts, I have the right to know what you're doing on the job.  Yes, I've heard of "down-time."  That doesn't mean that you have the right to perform personal business on a government supplied computer. Private businesses---and, yes, public entities---have strict policies of not using business computers for personal use.  Another goody: "You are not paying my wages and benefits. The public doesn't pay the wages/bennies on private sector jobs. The private sector companies obtain their money through customer money paid for work done and from that, company operations, wages and bennies are paid."  The public doesn't pay the wages/bennies on private sector jobs?  Are you in a fog?  Monroe and Middletown "outsourced" transportation (Petermann), food services (Sodexo) and custodial to Sodexo.  In case you missed it, Sodexo and Petermann are PRIVATE companies, and they don't do it out of the kindness of their hearts. THEY BILL THE DISTRICTS FOR ALL SERVICES---INCLUDING WAGES/BENNIES.  So, I guess you aren't concerned about how much is charged to "your tax dollars" by the city and school district?  You are trying to argue both sides---whatever is convenient---and it's not working.  Whether I know anything about "research work" isn't pertinent.  So you have down time.  Stay off  of the government computer for your personal enjoyment.  It's not work related.  Play solitaire with a deck of cards, read a newspaper.  And, I have never defended a public or private union on any of these blogs.  I will, however, point out your fallicies when they appear.  You very readily throw out generalizations that aren't accurate, and I'll call you on it when I read it.   Complain all you want, but be accurate in your statements.    chmoore
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2012 at 9:11pm
ch says....."However---consider this: you work for a government contractor at Wright-Pat (from what you have said). GUESS WHAT???? We taxpayers pay for your wages and benefits."

Nope ch. Not exactly true. The Air Force is but one small segment of my company's business clients. All of the funds collected for doing work for both private companies, as well as for the government is placed in one large company pot and divided appropriately. The money collected from government contracts at WP does not translate to usage only for employees who do government work. I am a taxpayer also, not just "we taxpayers" as if to exclude me from having taxes taken out. If we use your thinking, the tax money collected from my private sector paycheck goes in the same till that your money goes in, therefore, along with you, I am contributing to my own wages being paid. We all contribute so climb down off your high horse on who is footing the bills here.

"Those contractors pass that right along to us---maybe I should be bitching that you have time to post "HERE IN FAIRBORN ON A GOVERNMENT INSTALLATION" at 2:22 in the afternoon, probably on a government purchased computer"

Ever hear of break time ch? We process samples, test samples and there are lulls in the activity at times. It's research work ch, not constant production work. A big difference between the two. That government computer was purchased by all of us including you AND I. The government installation is here because of taxpayer money from you AND I. It ain't just you ch. It's all who have taxes taken out.

"Remember, for everything that you complain about, the rest of us can complain about the same thing with you-----WE are paying YOUR wages and benefits, and with so much free time on your hands, maybe we should do a time-study for efficiency."    chmoore

Wrong again ch. You are not paying my wages and benefits. The public doesn't pay the wages/bennies on private sector jobs. The private sector companies obtain their money through customer money paid for work done and from that, company operations, wages and bennies are paid. The private sector does pay on public sector jobs through taxes taken from our paychecks and from levies. My employer is a private sector entity. Again, the WE in your statement also includes me as they take taxes out of my paycheck, just like they do yours. You must not have a clue about research work or you wouldn't have made the comment about having so much free time on my hands. (Incredible that you would be concerned about "free time" and be a defender of public unions and public jobs.....not exactly stalwarts for maximum time usage). If you're in the academic world as indicated by your defense of teachers and/or public unions, I wouldn't be throwing stones. You may not realize it but you live in one big glass house in the public sector. An easy target for criticism. The picture has been painted as to what the public sector is all about and most of the time, it isn't flattering. Glass houses ch, glass houses.
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2012 at 5:09pm
Vet: your quote:" (Teachers) paying little into their retirement fund as opposed to the private sector." Uhnmm, hate to tell you, Vet, but you were comparing it to social security.  Teachers pay---mandated by state law---10% off the top.  SS (private) takes 4.2%.  Seems like more to me.  Second, you stated that you put in---voluntarily---15% into something like a 401K.  Teachers can too.  It's an annuity. But both are VOLUNTARY!   Quote: "Paying 9% for health care premiums...."  As I stated, "Board payment for health insurance is approximately $1,000/mo. Employee premium is approximately $150.00/month. Seems like 15% to me ($1,000 x 15% is $150.00)."  Teachers pay part of the dental premium also. I can't help you with your wife's insurance premium.  If it $300/month, it's $300.00/month.  A different contractor employer----different insurance coverage.  However---consider this:  you work for a government contractor at Wright-Pat (from what you have said). GUESS WHAT???? We taxpayers pay for your wages and benefits.  Those contractors pass that right along to us---maybe I should be bitching that you have time to post "HERE IN FAIRBORN ON A GOVERNMENT INSTALLATION" at 2:22 in the afternoon, probably on a government purchased computer. Finally, if you..."Can't place definite figures on pay nowadays with any private sector company....large corporations or small family owned ones...", how did you arrive at the conclusion that teachers are so grossly overpaid?  I understand that you're tired and grouchy.  But, please, stop seeing a boogyman behind every tree.  Remember, for everything that you complain about, the rest of us can complain about the same thing with you-----WE are paying YOUR wages and benefits, and with so much free time on your hands, maybe we should do a time-study for efficiency.    chmoore
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2012 at 2:22pm
"Vet: the current rate for social security "contributions" BY LAW is 4.2% up to $110,100 earned income"

ch!!!! I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT Social Security "contributions" taken out of the paycheck at 4.2%!!!!!I'm talking about what the employer removes from my check to help them pay for the health insurance premiums they offer the employee in the benefits package. Totally separate from Social Security! The 15% has NOTHING to do with Social Security.

Social Security is also taken out of the paycheck at 4.2% I AGREE WITH YOU ON THAT POINT. So are FED and STATE taxes. I must deal with the city myself as no city tax is taken out here in Fairborn on a government installation. I was eligible at 62 for SS. Passed on that. Will be eligible at 67. Not enough monthly either. Will pass on that. Will work for 6 more years til the age of 70 giving me 51 years of working. That's about right per month on the SS check.

"Next: not paying near 15% for medical insurance?"

Well I am each pay period. Help my employer with the dental premium too. Have been for several years now.

"Employee premium is approximately $150.00/month".

That ain't squat. I'm paying over $300 per month for my Anthem coverage for the wife's medical problems.

"I watched Middletown's renegotiations with their teachers last year. "Frozen" wages, 1% reduction this year, 1% reduction next year".

How about all the previous years and in better times when the raises eclipsed those given in the private sector? It all evens out eventually. These are bad times. Everyone's getting little to nothing in raises.....public and private sectors.

"Private sector for bachelor's degree, at least upper 30's to low 40's."

No rhyme or reason in assessing pay in the private sector. I worked at IP and was in the 40's with no bachelor degree but with over 35 years in a lab. At P&G, they pay technicians in the high 20's to low 30's to start...lousy pay for such a hot shot company. At Mobay Chemical, alot smaller company than P&G, the pay started in the mid 20's. It's all over the map with companies. Can't place definite figures on pay nowadays with any private sector company....large corporations or small family owned ones.

"Is your battle with unions or that some people have a better life than you?"

Both. When I see the union factory floor worker owning a bass boat, momma driving a Cadillac Escalade, Junior driving a new Mustang, and dad driving a new Chevy Diesel dually, and all living in a $300,000 house, and I, who worked every bit as hard out on a frikkin factory floor on all shifts, living well below that, I get a little "anxious". IN GENERAL, the union worker is offered just a tad bit better standard of living than the non-union worker with equivalent skills. No problem.....doesn't really matter anymore. What matters is.... I've got 6 more years to go. Then they can shove it where the sun don't shine after 51 years. THAT'S MY REAL GOAL HERE CH. I'm just frikkin' tired and grouchy.

"You work at Wright-Pat for a contractor. Is the contractor union?"

Nope. Don't need a union. They treat us ok as to bennies, wages and decent on a daily basis. Nice employer as a matter of fact.
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2012 at 12:30pm
Vet:  slow down, Cowboy!  I have to call you on this again.  This was part of our conversation under "Third Grade." 
Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 4:36pm

Vet: the current rate for social security "contributions" BY LAW is 4.2% up to $110,100 earned income. If someone is paying more than that, something is amiss. 15%??? You can't just throw these unfounded figures out there to bolster your argument. Next: not paying near 15% for medical insurance? I watched Middletown's renegotiations with their teachers last year. "Frozen" wages, 1% reduction this year, 1% reduction next year. Board payment for health insurance is approximately $1,000/mo. Employee premium is approximately $150.00/month. Seems like 15% to me ($1,000 x 15% is $150.00). Next, equal pay to corporate world? Bachelor's degree gets you $32-34,000/year. MUST work toward master's degree, $300/credit hour x 48 hours = $14,400, bumps pay a little over $1,000/yr. Private sector for bachelor's degree, at least upper 30's to low 40's. Next: summer off. Senario one: teacher can get paid during school year only; from August through some part of June. OR, they can take DEFFERED payment to be paid the same annual salary, but for 12 REDUCED pays, rather than 9 regular pays. "Spin it any way you like, etc." they get paid for what they work! This really is a useless point to argue, which I know that you understand. Finally, of course you know the stories about goof-offs in factories---you've been around factory workers and have heard all the stories. Is your battle with unions or that some people have a better life than you? You work at Wright-Pat for a contractor. Is the contractor union? Perhaps that's the rub for you.

I have to bring this up for accuracy---otherwise people read something and believe it.    chmorre  

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2012 at 6:21am
Need to respond to one of your comments Irisner.....

You state:

"Of course Mike had to mention the public unions like the non thinker that he is. The unions are not the problem."

They are certainly PART of the problem in contributing to cities going bankrupt. The demands over the years, the cities (taxpayers) paying either all or a large portion of the premiums for your bennies in health, dental and retirements, the increased salaries over the decades demanded at the negotiation table with cities conceeding to the unions......all have contributed to the draining of the city pocketbooks. The Teacher's Union is a big culprit in this. That's why the school people are always trying to stick it to us with levies....to cover the cost of the greedy little Teacher's Union coupled with their high salaries awarded through tenure. Paying little into their retirement fund as opposed to the private sector. Paying 9% at most when the private sector has been paying 15%-20% for years to help their employer cover health care/dental/vision premiums. Yeah, the union folks have had it soft the last decade as to out of paycheck deductions. Time to level the playing field with you people paying more......like the rest of us have been doing.

Irisner also states:

"Let's just get to my program of cutting ALL staff by 30%. Cut all all "activities" that don't pay for themselves (ala Middfest). That would be a start........oh. yea I forgot. You WANT the current numbers of employees, just like Judy wants her stuff"

I'll go you one better than the 30% cuts Irisner. I want to see ALL the people in the city building cut. I want to see city government restructured with less Directors, no more assistants to the assistants and incorporate department job duties if possible. I want the city manager, planning director, law director and econ. dev. manager gone too. Start over. Hire competent people for replacements. The people we have now are not smart enough to run this city. It is apparent by the shape it is in both physically and financially. Hire less people in the higher positions and more people who actually do the work. Too much high level fat in the city building.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2012 at 4:16am
Originally posted by lrisner lrisner wrote:

I would mention how this all is the direct result of the destruction of the middle class due to the very type policies that most of you espouse on here but know that it would be wasted on this forum, so i will just ask what would be so bad if the city just went bankrupt?

That is the inevitable conclusion that most of the Cities are going to have to suffer before the needed restructuring comes. Of course Mike had to mention the public unions like the non thinker that he is. The unions are not the problem. Any civilized person would never expect the servitude type worker that the comment suggest. the problem is that people like Mike want what the City can't afford, the current number of public safety personal that we have .  It is strange that people like Mike are like that given that they quickly bitch when someelse want the city to spend/buy other things that we can't afford. I guess overspending is only OK if it is what Mike wants. Typical knothead thinking.

Let's just get to my program of cutting ALL staff by 30%. Cut all all "activities" that don't pay for themselves (ala Middfest). That would be a start........oh. yea I forgot. You WANT the current numbers of employees, just like Judy wants her stuff. Your all the same, that is why there will never be change. If the economy doesn't drastically turn around where growth solves the problems , Middletown WILL go bankrupt.
Iris:
You have obviously either taken leave of your senses, you are high on something, or you simply are fantasizing.  Would you care to QUOTE any statements of mine expressing what you attribute to me and cite the source please. 

You should seek professional help, seriously.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2012 at 3:46am
I would mention how this all is the direct result of the destruction of the middle class due to the very type policies that most of you espouse on here but know that it would be wasted on this forum, so i will just ask what would be so bad if the city just went bankrupt?

That is the inevitable conclusion that most of the Cities are going to have to suffer before the needed restructuring comes. Of course Mike had to mention the public unions like the non thinker that he is. The unions are not the problem. Any civilized person would never expect the servitude type worker that the comment suggest. the problem is that people like Mike want what the City can't afford, the current number of public safety personal that we have .  It is strange that people like Mike are like that given that they quickly bitch when someelse want the city to spend/buy other things that we can't afford. I guess overspending is only OK if it is what Mike wants. Typical knothead thinking.

Let's just get to my program of cutting ALL staff by 30%. Cut all all "activities" that don't pay for themselves (ala Middfest). That would be a start........oh. yea I forgot. You WANT the current numbers of employees, just like Judy wants her stuff. Your all the same, that is why there will never be change. If the economy doesn't drastically turn around where growth solves the problems , Middletown WILL go bankrupt.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2012 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

I guess there wasn't much interest in this show.  Much like most else in Middletown I suppose.

PacmanCool
I watched the show, and believe it bodes poorly for our city.  What else can be said or done???

City officials that watched it will likely think "it can't happen to us here".  Middletownians will keep electing those who will "play nice" with city hall and "friends of city hall".

The few realists in town will remain exasperated.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2012 at 11:12pm
I guess there wasn't much interest in this show.  Much like most else in Middletown I suppose.

PacmanCool
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2012 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

This will be the future of Middletown if we dont control spending and employee wages or we can continue to watch our city crumble before our eyes.

Sadly Agree!
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2012 at 5:38pm
There were alot of similarities with Middletown in this show:

1.) Money flowing in and out of accounts to fund pet projects.
2.) Roads not being repaired.
3.) Many of these cities were drowning in debt from pets projects forced on the residents of city by it's leadership.
4.) Cities had sewage problems which resulted in sink holes just as Middletown does.
5.) Some Cities were paying 75% of their GF for Poilce and Fire services.

If you watch this show, you'll see Middletown written all over it.  The only difference being that these cities were larger in most cases.

I like the fact that the leadership (I.E. Mayor) in these cities were elected rather than having a ciy manager that needs the approval of seven soon to be five council members.  In other words, the city is run full time by an elected Mayor and can be voted out by the city's residents rather becoming to friendly with the few on City Council.

PacmanCool
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2012 at 12:30pm
Looks like the people of Harrisburg PA had enough of the former city leader making money losing decisions (a western museum/a garbage burning incinerator/buying a minor league baseball team) and replaced him with the former councilwoman who admitted making mistakes on her decisions.......BASED ON THE INFORMATION PRESENTED TO HER BY THE CITY LEADERS. Sound familiar? The agent sent to clean up the mess in Harrisburg has resigned. He had had enough....to big a problem to correct. Town declared bankruptcy and angered the bond holder company CEO.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2012 at 10:14am
For those that missed the show last night, It runs again tomorrow at 9pm on FOX NEWS.  It is a very a informative and well done show on what could become the future of Middletown. 

PacmanCool
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2012 at 6:14am
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

I'm so old I remember being a Police Officer and making $4.52 an hour ...
PacmanCool
Pacman,
That comes to over $9,000 per year!!! Not bad for a police officer back in the 1930s!!! LOL LOL LOL
(Of course I am just kidding my friend Pacman.  He isn't nearly that old, and in fact is much younger than I am.) 
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2012 at 5:30am
Thanks Pacman
This was a very informative program to watch.
This will be the future of Middletown if we dont control spending and employee wages or we can continue to watch our city crumble before our eyes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic