Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Monday, April 29, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Goodbye to the Superintendent

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goodbye to the Superintendent
    Posted: Jul 01 2013 at 11:28am
Journal story...some observations

Academic growth must continue, departing superintendent says

MIDDLETOWN —
Just past his three-year mark in Middletown, superintendent Greg Rasmussen has left the school district for a new job in Butler County — Butler County, Kansas, that is.

Rasmussen’s contract ended Sunday, June 30, after he accepted a superintendent position at Andover Public Schools in Andover, Kan. — a district of about 5,300 students.

The Middletown Journal sat down for an interview with Rasmussen as he packed up his office on Girard Avenue for a Friday departure

Q: What does make Middletown tick?

GR: Middletown has got a real sense of community. So many towns around us are bedroom communities, where people move in and go to school but they don’t work there.

ACTUALLY, THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN MIDDLETOWN BUT WORK IN DAYTON OR CINCY. BETTER JOB SELECTION, MORE OPPORTUNITY AND A PERSON IS MORE APT TO FIND A DECENT PAYING JOB WITH BENNIES OUT OF TOWN DUE TO THE LIMITED CHOICES HERE.

INTERESTING GOAL TO CITE GIVEN THE IMPORTANCE OF IMPROVING THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE, WHICH IS USUALLY THE ONE MENTIONED THE MOST......

Q: What goals did you set for the district?

GR: Once you learn and listen to the patrons and teachers … what I think they wanted more than anything else for their schools was to be to proud of them. A goal was improving the culture. Working in schools anywhere is challenging, and you’ve got to believe in them and have a positive attitude. A goal was looking at how we are going to manage our facilities moving forward — athletics and middle and high schools. We have a really solid plan now on remodeling the high school and now it sounds like building a middle school at the high school and making a campus out there.

INTERESTING FOCUS HERE....

PER GREG RASMUSSEN, IMPROVING THE CULTURE, IMPROVING THE BUILDINGS WITH NEW STRUCTURES, HAVING A POSITIVE ATTITUDE, BUT NO MENTION OF A GOAL OF IMPROVING THE ACADEMICS IN HIS STATEMENT HERE. IS THIS CONSIDERED A GIVEN?

Q: What was your biggest challenge or obstacle to overcome?

GR: The reality of the financial situations in all districts. When I came in, we were spending $6 million more in a year than we were taking in. We had to make some substantial reductions in our budget, but at the same time trying to help everybody’s attitudes get better and improve academic achievement.

OK, SO FINANCES, IMPROVING EVERYONE'S ATTITUDE (MUST NOT BE THE BEST IN THE DISTRICT) AND ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT IS NOW MENTIONED.

Q: What’s one thing you didn’t get to complete here in Middletown?

GR: There’s still a lot of work to do on the academic side. We got better, and our evidence has supported continuous growth over time. We had some of the largest growth academically of districts in the state.

ARE WE SURE WE GOT BETTER? CONTINUOUS GROWTH? AGREE, STILL ALOT OF WORK TO DO TO REACH THE MIDPOINT OF THE SCALE. NOT THERE AT ALL ON INDICATORS HAVING DROPPED FROM 10 TO 6 OUT OF 26, I BELIEVE ON THE LAST REPORT. NOT MENTIONED BY THE SCHOOL FOLKS VERY OFTEN.

Q: What did you learn from the Middletown experience that you will take with you to Kansas?

GR: I learned the superintendent has to be the cheerleader for the district. The superintendent has to be patient, listen and respect and appreciate people. I want to wish Middletown the best; there’s great heart here

MR. RASMUSSEN MENTIONS THAT HE NEEDS TO BE A CHEERLEADER FOR THE DISTRICT. DOES IT SEEM LIKE THE PEOPLE DIRECTLY CONNECTED WITH THE DISTRICT ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO ARE CHEERLEADERS FOR THE DISTRICT? THE COMMUNITY DOESN'T SEEM "OVERLY ENTHUSED" ABOUT THE CURRENT SITUATION IN THE SCHOOLS DO THEY?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2013 at 3:16pm
the guy came in and made a difference
hate to see him go, however his thinking continues through Mr.Ison and staff.
imo we are improving headied in the right direction
next year will tell....

thanx mr.R!!!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2013 at 3:27pm
sj, I meant not to respond, but after reading your comments again, I just could not let it sit.

Made a difference, moving in right direction? Kidding right?

All Mr. R did was be a cheerleader, breath, wear pants, appease the Board, and make about 1.35 unti he find a job as a stepping stone, super to super.

What he said about Middletown was prophetic. It illuminates that all leaders target about 300 people, the ones that do work in Middletown, there aren't many, and that's all that is necessary to survive, just like Gilleland does, others.

Its the acceptance of such mediocrity that has doomed Middletown to death. The word, as VV states often if apathy. Acceptance of below par performance, but who cares.

At least he got it, most are having to take about a 50% capital loss on their house to do so as well.

"made a difference"- a 1.35 cheerleader. What a gig this public sector is.  
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2013 at 4:40pm
no acclaro--I disagree
better attitude--more inclusive and open
slightly better results while worsening demographics
the town is not getting better--the schools are imo
I might be closer than you on this one--maybe not
And of course I could be wrong

I like the discipline conduct modifications and the level of caring/involvement brought through Mr.Ison and co.
Could they do it with less??
Probably, though I will never buy in to govt. bureau organization

jmo
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2013 at 6:17am
Spider:

"better attitude--more inclusive and open"

PROBABLY TRUE, BUT THEN AGAIN, ANY APPROACH IS BETTER THAN THE DAYS OF STEVE PRICE, RIGHT?

Spider:

"slightly better results while worsening demographics"

DEMOGRAPHICS ARE DEFINITELY WORSE. DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE RESULTS. DON'T THINK THE RESULTS ARE MUCH BETTER THAN A DECADE OR TWO AGO ARE THEY? LOOK AT THE INDICATORS. HAVEN'T BROKEN THE 10 BARRIER OUT OF 24 (26?) AS YET, RIGHT? ACTUALLY, AT LAST COUNT, THEY HAD SLIPPED BACK TO 6 FROM 10. NOT GOOD. ARE WE STILL SUFFERING FROM THE PRICE DEBACLE?

Spider:

"the town is not getting better--the schools are imo"

AGREE CONCERNING THE TOWN. NOT SO SURE ABOUT THE SCHOOLS. GOT A LONG WAY TO GO BEFORE THEY BEGIN TO REACH THE LEVELS OF ACCEPTABLE PERFORMANCE. THE SCHOOLS ARE A SHADOW OF WHAT THEY USE TO BE IN OUR DAY, RIGHT SPIDER? AND WITH THE CITY OFFICIALS CONTINUALLY BRINGING LOW INCOME TO TOWN, THE SCHOOLS WILL NEVER BEGIN TO RECOVER. NEED QUALITY PEOPLE WHO PLACE A PRIORITY ON EDUCATION TO IMPROVE THE PERFORMANCE. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN WITH THE CURRENT CROP OF PEOPLE ENTERING THE CITY AND THEIR INDIFFERENCE TOWARD THEIR KID'S EDUCATION.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2013 at 7:31am
have to start somewhere, vet
hopefully turning a very challenging corner

a lot depends on how the section 8 situation plays out

dined last night with a landlord with 30 properties
says that he quit Section 8 a couple of years ago--best decision he has made
nowhere near the property destruction or turnover

a story relayed:
he visited a property rented to a section 8, asked why he lived in his own filth without ever cleaning....
renter replied "you don't get it---every year, I can move somewhere else cleaned to standard--free of charge--why should I clean anything?"
end of participation in the program
much happier landlord
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2013 at 8:47am
With all due respect, I have to take a stand for this bashing of those unfortunate enough to be on Section 8. I have a friend in Scottsdale Arizona who was a high roller, made over $500,000. annually as an executive. After 2008, he lost his job, was 60, and simply could not find employment. While not on Section 8, he lost a $750,000 home in Scottsdale (Maricopa Cty as VV knows), moved into an apartment, and struggles to stay afloat. I could list many of these same scenarios.

I also know indirectly, and have met, some of absolute most honest, decent, and frankly, hard working people that work at the Salvation Army, Goodwill, elsewhere, and are on Section 8, and take incredible care of their apartment, going as far as  painting, mowing grass, and keeping the property up, including doing plumbing work, laying wood floors, et al. This Section 8 bashing and stereotyping is in my opinion, arrogant, wrong, and completely misleading associated with the inherent problems within Middletown. It is not Section 8, it is the city's failure to be proactive and attract business. Of course, there are a few bad apples. There a few bad rich apples as well in Middletown, and I can name a bushel full.

As Bill or another stated previously, the debate rages as to which came first; the chicken or egg, or in simple terms, Section 8 demographics or the city's failure to attract business, to attract a growing economy, which manifested itself into once middle class individuals having no employment opportunities, which in turn, has led to the circuitous route of decline. I argue it is the city's failure to grow and attract, not the magnet effect of Section 8.

I personally find it difficult to make a plausible case a city that has a majority within the poverty line residing in Middletown, to be in a position it needs to cut back on vouchers. Isn't that a factual reality; that is; Middletown is populated by those that are entitled to Section 8? I blame this strictly on the city leadership, not the souls having the misfortune of being in a position it cost more for gas driving from Middletown to West Chester for a $9.00 hour job.

I find it wrong to blame Middletown's school problems on Section 8. The factual reality is Middletown is a blue collar town, historically, that previously had a decent middle class base. Times have unfortunately changed, and the days of making $130,000 a year with overtime at Arrnco, now AK Steel of course, are gone. The only entity not effected by that are police, fire, and the school system; private industries made the adjustment years ago.

On a sidenote...better be keeping an eye on AK. Stock trading around $3.00/ share is not good, and close to the magical $1.00 range setting up movement off NYSE/ NASDAQ etc. Rumors company wanting that to happen to restructure pension debt, bring in X. If and when that happens, Section 8 will be least of city and citizens worries.     
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2013 at 9:51am
First of all acclaro, personally, I'm glad you are participating again. I find your opinions and info. valuable.

Some comments related to your comments if I may.

"With all due respect, I have to take a stand for this bashing of those unfortunate enough to be on Section 8. I have a friend in Scottsdale Arizona who was a high roller, made over $500,000. annually as an executive. After 2008, he lost his job, was 60, and simply could not find employment. While not on Section 8, he lost a $750,000 home in Scottsdale (Maricopa Cty as VV knows), moved into an apartment, and struggles to stay afloat. I could list many of these same scenarios"

HAVE BEEN THERE THREE TIMES SINCE 1994 IN JOB LOSSES. RECOVERED EACH TIME. SO WILL HE. I EMPATHIZE WITH THE SITUATION EVEN THOUGH THIS GUY WAS WAY OUT OF MY LEAGUE.

"I also know indirectly, and have met, some of absolute most honest, decent, and frankly, hard working people that work at the Salvation Army, Goodwill, elsewhere, and are on Section 8, and take incredible care of their apartment, going as far as painting, mowing grass, and keeping the property up, including doing plumbing work, laying wood floors, et al. This Section 8 bashing and stereotyping is in my opinion, arrogant, wrong, and completely misleading associated with the inherent problems within Middletown"

NEGATIVE PERCEPTION, POOR IMAGE AND STIGMA ATTACHED TO SECTION 8. NO DOUBT THERE ARE SOME HARD WORKING, UPSTANDING CITIZENS WHO TEMPORARLY NEED A HAND UP. THOSE THAT STAY FOREVER STICKING IT TO THE TAXPAYER AND THOSE WHO DESTROY ALL THEY TOUCH CONTINUE THE STEREOTYPING OF THIS PROGRAM. SECTION 8 IN MIDDLETOWN COULD HAVE UPSTANDING PEOPLE TO THE TUNE OF 100%, BUT THE GENERAL CONSENSUS OF THE MASSES IS THAT IT IS A NEGATIVE ENTITY IN ANY COMMUNITY AND A DETRIMENT TO PROGRESSION OF A CITY. LOOK AT THE ROW APARTMENTS AS YOU GO UP THE HILL BY THE EASTRIDGE APARTMENTS. CURTAINS HANGING OUT WINDOWS. TRASH STACKED IN PILES AT ANY GIVEN TIME BY THE ROAD, BLINDS TORN TO PIECES, AND A GENERAL LOOK OF A GHETTO BEING BORN. NO PRIDE, NO CLASS, NO CARING WHAT PEOPLE THINK. THAT ATTRACTS MY ATTENTION IN A NEGATIVE WAY. PROBABLY DOES WITH MANY PEOPLE.

"As Bill or another stated previously, the debate rages as to which came first; the chicken or egg, or in simple terms, Section 8 demographics or the city's failure to attract business, to attract a growing economy, which manifested itself into once middle class individuals having no employment opportunities, which in turn, has led to the circuitous route of decline. I argue it is the city's failure to grow and attract, not the magnet effect of Section 8"

AS I UNDERSTAND IT, THE CITY HAS LOST SO MUCH BUSINESS AND THE TAXES AND REVENUE CREATED BY THOSE BUSINESSES AND HAS BALKED FOR SO MANY YEARS IN REPLACING THOSE LOST BUSINESSES, THAT THEY HAD TO COME UP WITH SOME REVENUE SOME PLACE (SINCE THEY HAVE NO ONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO ATTRACT NEW BUSINESS)......THAT BEING THE FED GOV. HANDOUTS PRIMARILY THROUGH SECTION 8. THIS IN TURN HAS HELPED TO FOSTER MORE CRIME, HAS DONE IMMENSE HARM TO THE REPUTATION OF THE CITY, HAS FOSTERED SOME GHETTO MENTALITY AND HAS HELPED RUN THE CITY INTO THE GROUND IMO.GIVEN THE CONDITION OF THE CITY, THE LAST THING WE NEED IS TO INVITE MORE PEOPLE WHO LIVE OFF OF GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS HERE. WE NEED EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE....IE, THOSE WHO MAKE DECENT MONEY WITH DESCRETIONARY SPENDING WHO WILL CREATE MONEY FLOW IN THE COMMUNITY. NOT THE TIME TO CREATE A WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY FOR THE ASSISTANCE SEEKERS TO CAMP OUT HERE. THIS TOWN IS "TOO POOR TO SUPPORT THE POOR". AFTER ALL, DIDN'T ADKINS CLAIM WE ARE AT THE 54% MARK OF POVERTY HERE?

"I find it wrong to blame Middletown's school problems on Section 8. The factual reality is Middletown is a blue collar town, historically, that previously had a decent middle class base. Times have unfortunately changed, and the days of making $130,000 a year with overtime at Arrnco, now AK Steel of course, are gone. The only entity not effected by that are police, fire, and the school system; private industries made the adjustment years ago"

SECTION 8 SURE AS HELL DIDN'T HELP THE CITY AS TO GROWTH AND PROSPERITY. WOULD A MASON, A SPRINGBORO OR ANY OTHER CITY AROUND HERE COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT THEY NEEDED THIS LEVEL OF SECTION 8? EVEN FRANKLIN, MONROE AND TRENTON HAD ENOUGH SENSE NOT TO INVITE THIS SATURATION OF POVERTY TO THEIR TOWNS. COMPETENT THINKING MUST PREVAIL AT SOME GIVEN TIME WHEN MAKING DECISIONS IN RUNNING A CITY. WHY DID THE MIDDLETOWN LEADERS COME UP WITH SUCH ASSININE THINKING? DIDN'T SEE ANY OTHER CITY JUMP ON THE FED HANDOUT BANDWAGON.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2013 at 9:59am
a story relayed:
he visited a property rented to a section 8, asked why he lived in his own filth without ever cleaning....
renter replied "you don't get it---every year, I can move somewhere else cleaned to standard--free of charge--why should I clean anything?"
end of participation in the program
much happier landlord

AND THERE YOU HAVE IT IN A NUTSHELL.......THE CASE AGAINST TOO MUCH SECTION 8 AND THE ATTITUDE OF SOME PARTICIPANTS. IS THIS WHAT WE REALLY WANT TO DEAL WITH IN THIS CITY AT THIS TIME?
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2013 at 10:04am
Section 8 is only a problem because it is out of proportion and control here.
It must be down-sized IMO.
Not scapegoating all recipients at all.
Section 8 should not be a never-ending way of life.

As for Acclaro's unfortunate high-roller friend-- lived on the edge and crapped out.
Nothing to do with Section 8

Obviously we need life-supporting jobs and amenities to grow our community.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2013 at 11:46am
why can we not "clean-up" the Sec 8 program? By this I mean consequences.Maybe removal from the program. It wouldn't take long for the word to spread in the Sec 8 community to clean up your act or be gone. Education can go a long way. You want to spend Gov. money,spend some of that Sec 8 money on education. Many of these people on Sec 8 have lived this way for a long time.Educate them, there is a better way. Just because you're poor does not mean you have to live like pigs. SOAP AND WATER don't cost that much. Sorry about the soapbox
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2013 at 12:05pm
sj, agreed....as Vet knws, there isn't much such 8 vouchers in Paradise Valley Az.

Hard to fill up Brown's Run, Wildwood, and Weatherwax with those that ride bikes to the course instead of driving a Lexus.

My point was---is it vouchers that drove individuals to Middletown, or lack of industry attractiveness and lack of job creation the creator of poverty leading to appropriate vouchers based upon income? I say the latter, not the 8 magnet.

But....have vouchers, they will come. Or was it build it, they will come. Well Middletown did not build it, they handed out vouchers many think, ergo, chicken and egg theory. HUD should figure that one out, maybe its the egg.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2013 at 2:14pm
Because of complete lack of leadership I think they took the "easy" way out. It looked like a way of getting Gov money to use, but greed got in the way.They could not see there will be consequences and now we are paying for their shortsightedness and we still have the same shortsighted "leadership".IMO
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2013 at 2:02pm

Too bad that some people ruin the image for the people that need the help, too many abuse it and the other freebies instead of getting jobs, those are the people that give section 8 a bad name.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic