FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Todd Bell Recognition-Barnitz Stadium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Todd Bell Recognition-Barnitz Stadium
    Posted: Sep 25 2008 at 7:08am
(edited)

Before the game, there was a parade and ceremony honoring Bell and a new roadway dedication, with the band participating. How many ceremonies did we have to have for Mr. Bell? Apparently, the ceremony before the game wasn't enough for some members of the community including the school board president, resulting in alledgedly unacceptable behavior from people who should have known better. There is a segment of this community who have had and continue to have a chip on their shoulder for events that occured over 140 years ago. Let it go people. ALL of us, including ancestors, have had injustices done to us in our lives in one form or another.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2008 at 8:52am
Todd Bell and his parents have been wonderful community members.
I didn't see his parents at the half-time presentation, and obviously brother Darrel couldn't attend.

Yes Vet--the man has been honored enough--let it go from here.
He was just an athelete.
Too many people on the field for a very un-organized ceromy that obviously conflicted with the band show. High school football evenings are about the kids--not dignitaries.
If Rev.Tyus shouted profanities at the band, then he has serious issues that might be constriued as racial. Out of character for him though, and he is allow to blow off or screw up occasionally without being crucified.

jmo
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2008 at 9:23am
Todd Anthony Bell (November 28, 1958March 16, 2005) was an American football safety in the NFL for the Chicago Bears during the early 1980s.

After graduating from Middletown High School, in Middletown, Ohio as a very highly recruited and standout ball player, Bell went on to play for the Ohio State University as a four-year starter at defensive back.

On March 16, 2005, Bell suffered a fatal heart attack while driving his car in Reynoldsburg, Ohio. [1] He was 47. His wife Daphne now speaks to people on learning how to detect if they are at risk of having a heart attack.

Source Wiki
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2008 at 10:28am
I would respectfully like to ask what was posted here that needed edited? I don't remember my post well enough to recall the verbage that was extracted. Guess I'm getting too old to remember details!   
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2008 at 12:52pm
Now we are editing comments hmmmmmmmmm, this is not good.  Vet was it the part concerning "objectional language", something to that affect.  Probably get edited for mentioning it now.Thumbs%20Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2008 at 1:05pm
I dunno no what Rev.Tyus said, but will try to find out.
Can anyone be specific about his comments?

Rev. must also remember that he was SELECTED, and failed to win a school board seat in the last election. If he cursed or spoke durogatory to students/faculty during a school function, maybe he should be replaced as board president, or disciplined as any other "employee" might be.

And I honestly like the guy.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2008 at 2:58pm
I know I did not use profanity in my post. I also know that the story in the Journal just stated that objectional language was used by Tyus which he apologized for. Still don't know what specific words he used if, indeed, he used any. Given that, again, why was my post edited? I hope this is not a repeat of what occured on the Middletown Journal Message Boards when they started to erase posts, limit lengths of posts and prevent registered participants from posting altogether. That would be censorship of ideas/thoughts IF the poster was honoring the rules of the site. Differing opinions spark healthy debates. I thought that this was the theme of this site. I presume this has not changed.   
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2008 at 7:55pm
Vet I edited the above.  I couldn't remember the term you used.   Spider, Tyus seems to be a nice guy, but unimpressive running the BOE.  I think Fiora would have been a better choice, even though he is new.Big%20smile

Quote from MJ:

"Tom Hapner, whose daughter is in the band, didn't elaborate on what he called "defamatory" comments aimed at the band and its director by Tyus and others, but did say the words were "unfit to print."

Hapner said Tyus apologized to the band at a special meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 23, with parents, band and color guard members.

Tyus would not confirm or deny his attendance at the meeting, which was advertised on the MHS music program's Web site and specified the board president would be there. Tyus said only that he attends various extracurricular activities and school events."

Seems childish to not confirm or deny that you attended a meeting.  What is up with Tyus?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2008 at 6:35am
Pacman- did you mean to say " TYUS seems to be a nice guy, but unimpressive running the board" rather than SPIDER? Tyus has been on the board before in an elected position rather than an appointed one. He has done as much this time around as he did his first time which is nothing. I don't see much value in him taking up a board seat, although I don't see any value in any of the board members as they have produced little to nothing to guide the schools,offer suggestions to improve the student performance, control the superintendent or stand up to the teachers union. Another area for housecleaning.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2008 at 5:16pm

Though I am not completely comfortable explaining an edit that I did not make I do think an attempt should be made in that regard.

I was told that original comment on this thread “named names in a very negative context that was out of place for the subject”.

Though edits here are very rare they will be made to keep the site in line with our goal that it “Do No Harm”.  That is to say we would rather not have a site at all than to find ourselves in possession of one that has little or no socially redeeming value.

It is that philosophy that keeps all the negative stories that we all read each day in the local papers from being regurgitated on our home page just to get traffic.

When it comes to opinions of the community as expressed in the forums we understand that dissent and opposing opinions are part of a healthy dialog and we believe that dialogue is in the best interest of the community. However should those opinions become too personal or harsh in tone they may be edited on a case by case basis in order to conform to the overall goal of the site.

If you have any questions please feel free to give us a call or an e-mail at any time.

Thanks again for your input.

Andy Wendt
Xponex Media
513-422-1907 x226
andy@csn1.com

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2008 at 8:42am
nbd here--typical chaos
seems the additional Bell ceremony was unorganized,rambling and way over time allotment, while the band was approved to set up in order to get a rehearsal of their show in before the next day's competition.

Band director and Rev.Tyus exchanged a few words defending their priorities.
Rev.Tyus reprtedly met with everyone and gave a sincere apology for his actions and now all is well.

Bell family was honored for the umpteenth time, and the band performed well at their competion.

Now on to the vIsit by Colerain!!!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2008 at 12:08pm
Spider according to Tyus he didn't know if he was at the meeting or not.  This whole situation is an unfortunate mess that could have been prevented.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic