FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking Back- What Did They Accomplish?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking Back- What Did They Accomplish?
    Posted: Nov 18 2008 at 7:16am
Looking back a few months ago. What did Becker and his street repair committee really accomplish? I attended the meetings until the final two. I actually saw, early on, where the end result was heading- ask for more money. I received many handouts of graphs, pictures, and budget numbers and shared them at our Sunday Library meeting- but- again- what did this committee actually accomplish??? We met- sat and looked at each other- a few offered some comments and viewpoints- most sat and listened, contributing nothing- few went "against the grain" and offered suggestions outside the acceptable range of "city building" thinking and were ignored or rebuffed. Ms. Scott-Jones tried to guide the committee to move slower and to be cautious with their thinking, considering all aspects of the plans. Ms. Gilleland for the most part, just sat and listened, occasionally offering information from an administrators point of view. When changes in manpower structure (questioning of positions, suggestions of reducing management within departments, why two supervisors to five workers comments,salaries too high, city supervisors on the committee became real defensive and resented the imposition that anyone could tread on their turf. I bring this up again because this scenario represents what is wrong with this town as to citizen/government relationships and why nothing of any logical substance ever gets done in this town. There was no passion, no real intent, no cooperation, no open-mindedness, and above all, no real desire to do the correct thing for the people.It was all about what "I" want as a city employee(protect my position), what "I" want as a Councilperson( I know what's best for this town), what "I" want as a member of the club( we will run this town the way we want to). The PEOPLE'S needs/wants were never considered. I know we have been through this many times, but it never fails to bother me each time I think about their arrogance- so much so, I had to write about it again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic