FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown, The USPS, GM & Unions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown, The USPS, GM & Unions
    Posted: Nov 18 2008 at 11:10am
Basically Unionized Employee costs is hurting GM and The USPS is it also hurting Middletown?

You Don't Have Mail 
Competition: For the first time in its history, the U.S. Postal Service is considering layoffs. Imagine that — a unionized work force passing into obsolescence.After 233 years of managing a government-protecte<WBR>d monopoly, reality has struck the post office. The Federal Times is reporting that "Postmaster General John Potter told union leaders that as many as 16,000 employees" could be laid off.A Postal Service spokesperson said layoffs are not imminent. But that's only because the union contract makes layoffs difficult. An absence of urgency should not be taken as a sign of health."We lost $2 billion and, like any other business, we have to stay afloat," said Lavelle Pepper, a post office representative from Shreveport, La., putting the problems of the USPS, which has recorded even worse losses in the past, in clear perspective.The Postal Service employs 685,000 workers who are handling a diminishing volume of mail as domestic industry leaders such as FedEx and United Parcel Service provide better services and do it with less. While the USPS squanders 80% of its revenue on payroll, UPS spends roughly 55% of its income and FedEx about 40% on wages and salaries.FedEx pilots are unionized, and UPS employs more Teamsters than any other company. But the postal workers unions have to be the most powerful unions in history. To force the Postal Service, which was ostensibly severed from the federal government and turned into a private business, to burn eight of every 10 incoming dollars for employee salaries is a remarkable feat.Then, maybe that's routine for unions that have the strength to extract from management a contractual no-layoff clause for all members, save for about 16,000 at the bottom of the seniority list.If the story of a business strangled by organized labor sounds familiar, consider the problems at heavily unionized General Motors and Ford, and past problems at labor-dominated Chrysler. One, two, or perhaps all three, of those automakers might soon be brought down after decades of entering into foolish union contracts they are straining to fulfill.Like those companies, the USPS has been unable to keep up. Electronic bill-paying and Internet correspondence, along with competition from private shipping companies that dominate the parcel market, have made post office customers long for the Pony Express. What the Postal Service needs is an updated mission, full privatization and a leaner work force. Its days of operating as a charity for the benefit of its employees must be cut short.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2008 at 11:47am
Pacman:
We are trying to keep this site positive for Middletown. Can you please change the title to be less negative to our town? After all, negativity breeds more negativity.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2008 at 1:12pm
John, What is negative about the Title.  Is not 70-80% of the General fund geared toward two unionized Depts.?  Every 3 years isn't it more or less give them what they want or else we are going to Conciliation and they get it anyways?  Is Middlertown not cutting a Dept. or Revamping a Dept. inorder to shift the Funds to Public Safety?  Are the employees not basically determining their Health care benefits which are far better than most of the Citizens can get?  I fail to see where this does not apply to Middletown.  This is all public information much posted by the city itself.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2008 at 1:43pm
Well pacman, it sounds negative to me. After all its not even about Middletown, so its misleading too.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2008 at 2:47pm

It is called a comparison of what unions can do to a Company, i.e. GM, a Quasi Federal Agency, i.e. the USPS and a Local City, i.e. Middletown, OH, and no where did I say it was Middletown.  I was simply comparing the two as far as its unions were concerned.

It is your Board you want it down let me know.  Then we can all pretend.....never mind.  Just let me know if you want it removed.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2008 at 3:57pm
The very first step in solving a problem is admitting that a problem exists.

For some reason, this is a concept that Middletown city hall, The Middletown Journal, and many Middletonians have a hard time grasping.

Is the administration of this forum having the same problem? 
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 7:06am
Just remember--it is different when Mr.B  wants to rant about Dr.Price not giving him attention!
How did that ever turn out?
Camera microphone ambush as promised?
lol
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 9:44am
I think John was just making a request. This board is not controlled by the city and the school board like other news sources are. I can assure you that.

But the request was to change the title. You said no. Last time I looked, the title remained the same. How ledzepplinesque!
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 10:05am
spiderman

I'm not thinking happy thoughts about you right now. Seems like you are out to get anyone and everyone.

If you haven't noticed, over 95% of the articles published on this site are pro-Middletown.

On the other hand, about 80% of what you post is one sided. And that is not the pro-Middletown side.

If you want something to fail, keep belittling it. If you want something to succeed, find out the good and work the good as best as possible.

Even if I were to confront Dr. Price, I would do so because I think it is best for Middletown to hear from Dr. Price directly regarding the expensive 'land grab' effort that seems to go on forever.

Perhaps if you posted something good once in awhile, you might have a more credible balance to what you say. Either way, I will defend your right to say what you want.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 10:38am

ok--it's your party and you can cry if you want to

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 10:59am
Spiderjohn

Perhaps I owe you an apology. I guess you aren't completely negative on Middletown.

Looks like you are more than adequately involved for the betterment of Middletown. Why am I surprised? Because you never told us, the readers here, of all your good Middletown things. I for one have a different opinion of you since you shared your efforts.

Going forward lets express more happy thoughts, plus we can be constructive (negative) if we think it will help. Sometimes the school board and city council need to hear constructive thoughts. Just not in every post.

I look forward to your future posts.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 7:24pm
Mr. Beagle:
I am sure that there are other individuals that post here that have been wrongly bashed (both on this and/or on The Journal message boards) by the uninformed for "talking the talk, but not walking the walk."

That is because these individuals contribute to the community simply because they feel it is right, and not to seek publicity, recognition or reward.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic