FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should Schools Ban Texting?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tkunkle View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkunkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should Schools Ban Texting?
    Posted: Nov 21 2008 at 10:17am
Madison Local Schools are now talking about trying to ban texting within the school system. If it is passed Madison will be the first district to locally put the popular communication off limits in the school. Here is more about the possibility of Madison banning texting.
To see what is going on in Preble County visit my blog on Preble County Life
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2008 at 10:46am
Personally I think they should ban the use of Cell Phones on school property by students during school hours period.  They must either be left at home or in lockers turned off.  If Caught cell phone gets confiscated period.  School is for learning not a social hr everytime the teacher turns their back.

My sons school if you bring a cell phone to school you must check it in at the Office each day and pick it up after school ends.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2008 at 12:11pm
I think the kids should be allowed to have their cellphones in case of emergency. Remember the school shootings?

Texting can save lives.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2008 at 1:02pm

Gee John what did we do before Cell Phones?  School shootings while they do happen are not the norm.  Cell phones and texting is nothing more than a distraction in a school environment.  You don't need 30 cell phones in a classroom.  One with the teacher will do.

John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2008 at 10:47am
Then you probably would disagree that teachers should have hand guns too.

I always think about protection from violence first.

If teachers can't stop texting in their class, then they have too little control. Teachers need to be roll models and authority figures.

My wife got my son suspended for sending him a reminder text. To me this is getting out of hand. Sorry if I'm not politically correct.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2008 at 12:12pm
John it is not about being PC it is about learning.  Why not let them have iPods, Nintendo DS's in school.  How do you stop texting, I watch kids text without even looking at the damn key pad.  Is a teacher suppose to just sit and watch what each kid is doing under his desk or teach.  I see no valid reason for kids to be able to text during school time, there is plenty of time for that before and after school.  I just don't get the need to Text or talk on a Phone during school time.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic