FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The insert with latest water bill

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The insert with latest water bill
    Posted: Jan 05 2009 at 6:30pm
I certainly had to laugh at the insert included with our latest water bill.

It seems that someone at city hall thinks that all we common citizens needed to be reminded about the SIGN ORDINANCE rules and regs.  Perhaps they should begin enforcement during the CITY COUNCIL meeting tomorrow night.

CLUE to council/city manager:  It's NOT the citizenry that needs the reminder!!!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2009 at 7:48pm
Damn I knew there was a reason I should at least open that brochure before tossing it.LOL
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2009 at 8:27pm
They really need to be reminded of their responsibilities to the community and to us commom people. Maybe we could send them a brochure? Thoughts!
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2009 at 11:06pm

Thanks for the post Smartman. My wife grabs that stuff and I never see it.

But in my opinion this goes back to my gripe about priorities.

I mean with all the problems we have, as a city and as a country, was their nothing more important to say to the citizens of our fine town than a reminder of our sign ordnance?

Reminds me of "Annie’s Secret Message" from The Christmas Story.

“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2009 at 11:34pm
OMG!
I guess I better look up the ordinance "again" for the millionth time. They're worried about signs when businesses are closing almost daily it seems around here. I don't understand it.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2009 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Smartman Smartman wrote:

They really need to be reminded of their responsibilities to the community and to us commom people. Maybe we could send them a brochure? Thoughts!

I like that idea! Maybe send an extra large Hallmark card signed by the citizens & business owners of Middletown stating that fact?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2009 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by MadisonMom MadisonMom wrote:

Originally posted by Smartman Smartman wrote:

I like that idea! Maybe send an extra large Hallmark card signed by the citizens & business owners of Middletown stating that fact?

We could set it up at the Towne Mall. How's that for a location?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2009 at 5:42am
The point that I was trying to make is that the MOST BLATANT OFFENDER of the sign ordinance sits right behind the magic city council altar!!!

How dare they they feel the need to remind us, when one of the promoters of the ordinance, and someone who also VOTED for it, and the most FLAGRANT VIOLATOR is one of their very own???

The insert explains that:

"Temporary signs, including banners, must be no more than 20 square feet per side and may be displayed no more than four times per year, staying up no more than two weeks at a time.  Such signs may be used to promote a business or event and REQUIRE A ZONING CERTIFICATE."

This scofflaw's banner is at least FOUR TIMES that large, and lined with twinkly lights.  And a "zoning certificate" for this "OPEN DURING CONSTRUCTION" banner that has been on display for months???  I doubt this rogue even has a BUILDING PERMIT for the advertised construction.  (He didn't get one until four months AFTER the fact during the original remodeling, and then for only about a third of the actual value!!!  He even has the gall to sport a SECOND banner ("patio open") to boot!!!  (Wanna bet that this one has only been up for TWO WEEKS???)

The insert does point out, however, that: "City crews often remove signs that are not in compliance..."!!!  Yeah...sure...UNLESS the signs belong to a city hall INSIDER!!!

If the City really needs money, begin by FINING this repeated violator for each and every violation of which he is guilty!!!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2009 at 6:26am
Perhaps one could go to the Council meeting tonight armed with the signage ordinance in hand and mention " You know, I've been reading this ordinance and I was just wondering- I had dinner last night at this place called Barbeque Junction over on Roosevelt" "Now. I don't know who owns the place, but I know that the signs are a violation of this ordinance and I was just wondering why this particular place was being allowed to function and why the city crews haven't been ordered to take down the signs as they are in violation" Can anyone on Council give me a reason why this business seems to be immune to these rules? Then, stand there and watch their dumbfounded reaction as they stammer and look at each other searching for a non-answer with Moe slapping Curly on the back of the head and Oliver saying to Stanley- "Well, this is another fine mess you've gotten us into" Great comedy!     
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2009 at 7:53am
VietVet........I was going to suggest the same thing. Why does no one complain?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2009 at 9:29am
Why don't any of u ever address Council?
U wuold have a much larger viewing audience than readership here.
2nite's meeting will be a long one, and we have a Middies game at 7:30 for the real fun.

Maybe Mr.Koehler,Planning Dept. and Commission could desisgn standardized
CLOSED--OUT OF BUSINESS
signs for alll of the remaining local concerns.
Of course, you would then need to buy a permit to close, and be regulated as to ho you would do so. And the signs wouldn't be cheap.
Bwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2009 at 10:53am
Will the businesses even be able to afford a closing permit? Fazolli's Chik-Fil-A Rally's Dillard's SCORE... We should just rename to Armcotown, because that's all that will be left soon. Who wants to place bets on the next place to go under? I got 20 bucks on White Castle.
Looking for news or information on display technology? If so Visit the Monitor Blog
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic