FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I have to ask.......

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I have to ask.......
    Posted: Jan 08 2009 at 9:08pm
How do Cities Like:

Mentor, OH Population 51,000
Milford, OH Population 6313
Zanesville, OH Population 25000
and on and on and on.

Get on a list for Hundreds of Millions of dollars for Public Works projects and more and yet Middletown is not even listed for a bucket of tar to fill a pot hole.

Cinci wants a tennis court, a pool, Millions in street work

Dayton wants Pool repairs, to chase the Hookers out of town and Millions for other projects.

Yet Middletown is listed for NOTHING, ZIP, NADA, ZILCH.

Just look at page 581 in this report and then peruse the other interesting projects that other cities have made requests for.

Is anyone awake at City Hall anywhere....anyone?Dead

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

How do Cities Like:

Mentor, OH Population 51,000
Milford, OH Population 6313
Zanesville, OH Population 25000
and on and on and on.

Get on a list for Hundreds of Millions of dollars for Public Works projects and more and yet Middletown is not even listed for a bucket of tar to fill a pot hole.

Hmm...Middletown is NOT on this list, but we ARE on the list of 'The Top Ten Fastest Dying Cities In America'!

Do ya think there could possibly be a correlation here somehow???

I guess there just wasn't "any compelling reason" to try for the first list.  Cry
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 12:16am
I just don't understand anything about Middletown.
Is the city council members,,,,members for prestige of the name? It's not getting them anywhere. Who cares?
Again, vote them out!!! You guys have go to get someone else on board who really cares about the citizens and businesses of this town. Why would you not try to get every single penny for Middletown that you could possibly get?
ISN'T THAT SOMEBODY'S JOB THAT WORKS FOR THE CITY? OUR COUNCIL MAYBE?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 5:02am
MadisonMom City Hall is to busy discussing Section 8 and trying to hire the highest bidder, for the last 18 months.  They can't do anything else.  For the life of me I don't understand the Leadership in Middletown at all.  They don't lead they play catch up to the rest of the area constantly.  This stimulus package is probably a one time deal to get some serious money for Middletown Roads, Sewer and Water Repair/Updates and they are going to blow it, like they do so many other things in town.Angry

Like I said City Leaders need to have a new Mantra, "DO WHAT IS RIGHT FOR THE MAJORITY OF MIDDLETOWN CITIZENS".  Not just a few.  But they won't.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 6:38am
MadMom:
Ooops Shocked, that doesn't sound right!

MM:
Some of us have tried to change things. It is difficult.  I can give you many reasons, not EXCUSES mind you, but reasons, why we have failed.

One of the main reasons is fear.  There are so many people in this town that would like to stand with us, but they are afraid.  They FEAR our city government, and probably for good reason as many of those at City Hall are petty people who relish in wielding the little power that they have, probably because it is the ONLY authority they have ever had (or ever will have) in their lives.

For two or three years, I attended every council meeting, and spoke at probably at least half of those that I attended.  During that period, hundreds of people, both friends and strangers, would telephone me, or stop me in public and express support, and also ask me to speak out on various issues.  I always urged THEM to attend and speak out.  They ALWAYS said that they could not.  When I asked "why?", the answer ALWAYS had to do with FEAR!!!  I would hear things like:  "My boss is friends with Commissioner So-and-so, I would get fired!"  Or "The last time I stood up to them, they closed down my business for a week for bullsh*t reasons."  Or, "When John Doe stood up to them, they threw him off the City bid list, and I can't afford to lose the business."

In the United States, the citizens are NOT supposed to fear the government, the government is supposed to fear the citizens.  It is NOT that way in Middletown.  So many people in Middletown, in one way or another, are under the influence of City Hall in a way that could threaten their well-being, that they just will not speak up nor stand up unless they can do so anonymously.

Fortunately, there are a few of us who are NOT threatened by their whims.  Unfortunately, most of us are old and feebleminded...oops...I mean feeble!  We have beat our heads against the walls of city hall as long as we could, but there are only two handicapped parking spaces, and it's a long way from the far reaches of that parking lot, so by the time we made it to the meetings (eight minutes late) Hizonner would not let us speak.

All of that having been said, the facts remain that you are correct!

It IS up to the citizens of Middletown to find one good candidate from each Ward to run against these folks this November, and to get these new candidates ELECTED!  We should have started last November.  I wish that I 'd have thought of that!!

There IS a COMPELLING REASON to make some CHANGES!!!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 6:43am
Another Sad part to this story is that the Journal was aware of this and once again failed to do their job by asking City Hall why they weren't on the list for any funds.  If you recall they sure were happy to do a story on the Dayton Hooker Money, but not on the fact that Middletown has missed the boat once again and why.  I really see little sense in even having the Middletown Journal, they fail to report, they fail to investigate, unless the story is handed to them on a silver platter.

Just look at the Consoc story with them getting the contract.  Did the Journal ask any pertinent questions about them having the highest bid.  Gee when did all four of the Council Members determine that the high bid, was close to the actual cost of fulfilling the contract?  Was that a spur of the moment decision that just happen to hit them all at once or did they discuss it ahead of time?  Why did Nelson & Associates basically say they could do it for $500k less and they were confident in their bid?  I mean the questions are endless and the Journal is Clueless.  It just doesn't add up.

The same with this Stimulus package.  Middletown should have been listed for every program they could think of, would they have gotten them all, no.  But by not being on the list at all you are assured of one thing.....you will get nothing.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 8:42am
We are not on the list because Middletown's Mayor is not a member of the The U.S. Conference of Mayors.  This organizations Mission is:

"The U.S. Conference of Mayors (USCM) is the official nonpartisan organization of cities with populations of 30,000 or more. There are 1,200 such cities in the country today. Each city is represented in the Conference by its chief elected official, the mayor.

The primary roles of The U.S. Conference of Mayors are to -

• Promote the development of effective national urban/suburban policy;
  • Strengthen federal-city relationships;
  • Ensure that federal policy meets urban needs;
  • Provide mayors with leadership and management tools; and
  • Create a forum in which mayors can share ideas and information.

The Conference holds its Winter Meeting each January in Washington, D.C. (January 17-19, 2009) and an Annual Meeting each June in a different U.S. city (June 12-16, 2009 in Providence). Additional meetings and events are held as directed by the Conference leadership."

I will venture a guess, that the city will say, that the reason Mayor Mulligan is not a member is due to cost.  Or maybe they just weren't aware of this group.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 9:25am
Is that true Pacman? How much does it cost?
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 10:20am
Originally posted by John Beagle John Beagle wrote:

How much does it cost?
Dues for membership are based on population.  2008 dues for cities between 50,000 and 99,999 people were $5,269.  If a couple of hundred people move away, we could slide into the 30,000 to 49,999 bracket for the bargain dues of $3,499.

Of course, this organization believes in change, and our leaders believe that there is NO COMPELLING REASON to change!!!

Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 10:21am
Meet the Mayors Search Results find the Mayor of Monroe but not the Mayor of Middletown

Robert Routson Monroe, OH

Population: 7,133 Phone: 513/539-7374

Next General Election: 11/3/2009

Mayor's E-Mail Address: mayor@monroeohio.org

City's Web Site: http://www.monroeohio.org

Source: The United States Conference of Mayors aka The Voice of Mayors in Washington, DC,
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 10:28am
Mike maybe we need to suggest a tax increase to pay for this membership, seems that it will payoff better than what we are getting now or maybe take up a collection.Ermm

Don't laugh I wouldn't be surprised to see a decline in Population with the 2010 census coming.  The way businesses are closing etc. a decline is a real possibility.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 10:50am
Mr. Haller:
You cannot believe everything that you see on the internet!!!  LOLLOL

Meet the Mayors Search Results

David Schiavone
Middletown, OH

Read the Mayor's Bio

Population:

Phone:
513/425-7831

Next Mayoral Election:
11/3/2009

Mayor's E-Mail Address:
davids@ci.middletown.oh.us

City's Web Site:
http://www.ci.middletown.oh.us

var newwindow; function poptastic(url) { newwindow=window.open(url,'name','height=260,width=450'); if (window.focus) {newwindow.focus()} }
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 11:11am
These are yearly dues so I take it Middletown did not renew with Mulligan taking Office.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 11:36am
For the difference between CONSOC's bid and Nelson's bid, we could have paid the dues for over a HUNDRED YEARS!!!

(IF there was a COMPELLING REASON to do so!!!)
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2009 at 3:38pm
Jonathan, the mayor hasn't had a beard for 8 years. Also the population of Monroe is 11,000. Looks like the site isn't updated very often.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic