Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Saturday, May 11, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

They are bold in their disregard for us!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: They are bold in their disregard for us!
    Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 2:50am

I believe that it is a well-settled matter of Ohio law that the “legislative body of a municipal authority” (that would be a CITY COUNCIL, or similar body) can NOT delegate any of its powers to one, or any number fewer than a quorum, of its members. Of course, such a body does not need to delegate any of “its” powers to a “quorum” since a “quorum” IS the “council.” That is why last night’s (02/17/2009) City Council caused me much concern.

Council members once again talked about sending items “to a sub-committee.” According to Honest Dave “I will not run again” Schiavone, “that way we can meet as often as we need to”, referring to buying blighted properties and his scheme to “get the private sector involved” with the taxpayers’ funds in doing so.

Folks, at the so-called “Finance Sub-committee” meeting that I attended last Thursday, with the City Manager and four City Council members in attendance and the Clerk of Council taking minutes, I confirmed that ONLY council members can make or second motions at these meetings; and that a quorum at these meetings is a “majority of the council members on the sub-committee.” Folks, they can SPIN it however they choose, BUT--these so-called “sub-committee meetings" ARE “city council meetings”.

However, the only LEGAL meetings that city council is allowed to hold are “regular meetings” or “special meetings”. They CANNOT “meet as often as they want” and discuss City business by simply calling the meetings something other than “city council meetings.”

Our esteemed City Law Director knows this, so why does he allow it?

During the last two years, more so than any time in the 10+ years that I have been back in town, City Council has been determined to discuss city business, and vote on same out of sight of the general public!!!  What are they afraid of sharing with us???

What do they NOT want us to see or hear???

Why do they have such a penchant for secrecy???

They keep SAYING that they are all for OPENESS, but--every time one turns around, one sees council, the City Manager, and city staff discussing city business somewhere OTHER than council chambers during something allegedly OTHER than a city council meeting!!!

Who are they trying so hard to fool...and WHY???
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 6:53am
Well Mike I guess all these Sub-committee meetings need to be on TV Middletown also so we can see our City at work. Big%20smile
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 7:26am
Vivian- no TV Middletown at the Street Repair Committee months ago. Just Eddie Richter and you know what he'll report! No controversy from him, just the city side of the story aka "everything is beautiful, in it's own way"
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 8:00am
Housing Subcommittee is basically made up of City Employees, a Section 8 Landlord and some members from the CDBG Board or group, as far as I can find out. No Citizens without ties to the city, no business owners, no one from the Chamber.

So why do we have a subcommittee of City Employees basically?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Housing Subcommittee is basically made up of City Employees, a Section 8 Landlord and some members from the CDBG Board or group, as far as I can find out. No Citizens without ties to the city, no business owners, no one from the Chamber.

So why do we have a subcommittee of City Employees basically?
Well, according to Dave "I'm not going to run again" Schiavone at last night's City Council meeting, it is so that "we can meet as often as we want to"!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic