FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bond Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 11:53am
The Journal is a complete joke. The only information they print is public info; court records, crime, all data they can pull from public records, no investigative analysis.
Just last week, they had an article about the state of art capabilities Miami U at Oxford had where they use applications to monitor pipes, et al, to mitigate damage.

The point being Journal fans and school building supporters: When it is -10 below 0, pipes break, and its a stressor on ANY system, regardless.
Quit wasting our time on meaningless nonsense. We get it....it was cold, pipes burst, the furnace runs to keep a room 65 degrees. It doesn't take a PhD from MIT to 'get that.'
I suggest we all move to a warmer climate.   
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 12:34pm
Acclaro,
I think that we've come to different conclusions regarding the need for a re-habbed high school and a new middle school, but I totally agree that just because pipes break when the weather gets cold and that it's hard to regulate the heat in some buildings when it's extremely cold, is not a valid reason to go forward with the project. The Journal is insulting our intelligence with this non-argument and, I think, not helping with the valid arguments for going through with the project.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 1:08pm
processor, I concur with the 'non argument' position.
It simply takes visibility away from a credible argument.

Akin to arguing roads should be repaved every year or so, than patched. If one lives in a cold region, brutally cold weather causes additional stress. Roads have to be filled after a winter. 

The Journal is not doing either district a favor from such articles.   

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 1:35pm
Comments

If you would like to post a comment please Sign in or Register

< ="cmCommentEdit" id="comment_edit_">< name="cid" ="" value=""> < name="text"> < ="cmCommentCancelBtn" ="" value="Cancel"> < ="cmCommentSubmitBtn" ="submit" value="Edit comment">
8 Comment(s)
Comment(s) 1-8 of 8
angrydogs avatar

Will say and do anything for more more money. How pathetic the little piggies are!

DaleV003s avatar

Here we go again... You know, why don't we all run our households like the schools! Let's say your house was built in the 50's or before... Maybe the foundation has some cracks and the siding looks bad. Maybe the plaster is falling down because of the leak in the roof you forgot to fix... Well, don't bother fixing it up! Just tear it down and rebuild. Especially if your relative (the State) is giving you a nice big check to help pay for it... Does this sound reasonable? Of course not. I don't tear down my house just because it needs repairs. I fix it up and keep up on it. I don't have the same furnace it had when it was new. Take care of the buildings you got and they will last as long as you want them to. But if you fail to maintain them, then you can use that as an excuse to build new ones. That's what this sounds like to me. Regular maintenance prevents a lot of issues to buildings. But, I guess if you want 2 or 3 new buildings, you just set the heat a little low when we have sub-zero temperatures... "Yeah, that'll make them voters wish they wouldn't have voted down the levy!"

UncleAndy2s avatar

Nice pro-levy propaganda piece, J-N. You stay classy.

The question the J-N didn't ask is, why have these schools turned into money pits? How can many private and public entities, businesses, charities, museums, schools, and even residences that are much older than the schools in question, be operated by their wners without turning into money pits like these Fairfield School District locations?

How can Miami and UC operate buildings that are over 100 years old, and not allow them to turn into money pits?

The ugly plain truth is that Fairfield City Schools are an incompetent bunch of racketeers who have either purposefully allowed the buildings to go to pot, or through incompetence have not been able to properly care for the buildings. In either case, more taxes are not justified. We will not reward graft or incompetence with more of our money.

GoofyJims avatar

What a joke, It is funny there are other schools that are older and had no problems what so ever. This is just a ploy to get a new building built. Please tell me why this should be done when they obviously did not do the maintenance on these buildings and why should we expect any different with new schools.

benonis avatar

Why can buildings in Europe still be in use after 300+ years? They were built to last. Buildings in question were only built to last 50-60 years. Why?? Property values keep dropping and taxes keep raising. There isn't a building in the MCSD built to last except the old MHS and they want to tear it down. NO YES from me.

RogerOs avatar

Get out and vote NO people the union and their people will be there you can count on that.

Hold_On_A_Secs avatar

Trust me - a levy will pass due to the apathy of the voters. The voter's that complain the loudest NEVER vote or they feel like what's the point. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

1425s avatar

Isn't it funny that all of the sudden ( after a new levy was announced) the Fairfield Schools have fallen in such bad shape. What a crock of bull. People need to get off their butts and vote. Remember this folks. You paid to build a new High School then had to pay again to maintain it.

8 Comment(s)
Comment(s) 1-8 of 8
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 2:41pm
I would like to point out that Springboro High School's Pipes burst during the last deep freeze and that school in only under 20 years old. So the age of the school has nothing to do with it.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2014 at 6:27am
Not ALL school districts nor states handle the aging of the schools in the same manner......

Saw a segment on the evening news the other day concerning the condition of a 100 year old school in New Jersey. The presenters interviewed some teachers and administrators of this school as they were showing the viewer the poor conditions that the students were required to endure. Each time the boys bathroom was used, water would drip through the ceiling into another classroom below. Everytime it would rain, or the snow would start to melt on the roof, the water cascaded down the stairwell and the students named the stairwell the "waterfall" as they traveled up and down the stairs to classes. There were buckets in each classroom to accomodate the leaks. There were dead rats in the walls that produced a foul odor. The records room had an odor due to the mold. Holes in walls. There was abundant mold in the discolored walls. The school appeared to have many more issues than Vail. There were uncovered electrical switches and the school would certainly meet the "let's build all new schools" crowd criteria for tearing it down.....

BUT WAIT.....

The story also featured Gov. Christy and his newly appointed staff member, who was apparently charged with solving this problem, who stated that they will hire contractors to fix the mold, fix the electrics, fix the leaks.....whatever it took to bring the school up to the proper condition for learning.

Just wonder why Gov. Christy's administration would salvage this 100 year old school, in much worse shape than Middletown's Vail school, and the local contingent of "if it's over 40 years old, we gotta tear it down because a new school means better results" people have such different views of what creates success. Someone is wrong. Is all of this "build it new because it will enhance our image, performance and property values" theme really the issue here?.....or is it that the school people just want to come to work with the latest and greatest in school features and have a nice fresh work environment to enjoy while breaking the taxpayer's back. Used is not good enough for some perhaps? Everythng gotta be new to some?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic