FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Firefighter Proposal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Firefighter Proposal
    Posted: Jan 19 2012 at 7:06am
Today's Journal....

Middletown firefighters agree to wage freeze, will pay more for health care

MIDDLETOWN — Firefighters have agreed to no wage increases for at least two years and to double their health care payments, according to a new three-year IAFF contract City Council is considering

“I think considering the economic times and the financial times the governor put the city in, it was a win for the city,” IAFF President Jon Harvey said, “and there was no sense of us prolonging any kind of process when our goal is to try to move this city forward.”

But Councilman Josh Laubach thinks the city staff “could have done a better job.”

But Laubach believes the contract is not beneficial for the city.

“I think we have to do a better job if we’re going to move forward in the future and provide adequate safety protection and meet all of our obligations,” he said.

He’d like to see more money invested in infrastructure

SO WOULD THE MAJORITY OF THE PEOPLE LIVING HERE MR. LAUBACH BUT SOMEHOW NONE OF US THINK THAT WILL HAPPEN.

And Laubach said about 70 percent of the city’s general fund is spent on police and fire, and he said the city cannot afford that.

“I think we need a pay reduction, which isn’t there,” he said. “And the ‘me too’ clause was not in the best interest of city employees.”

“We’re spending so much on public safety; we’re not spending enough (local) money on our infrastructure,” he said

AGREE-SO WHEN IS THE STREET FUND GOING TO HAVE IT'S MONEY RETURNED FROM THE "BORROWING" DONE FOR "EMERGENCY PURPOSES" IN 1986?

Harvey disagrees with Laubach’s assessment, saying historically cities nationwide pay 70 to 80 percent for police and fire departments.

Middletown has budgeted 72 percent of the general fund for public safety, or just under $21 million, for 2012. Of the $8.9 million spent on the fire department, 88 percent is spent on personnel.

88 PERCENT OF THE 8.9 MIL ON PERSONNEL! TOO HIGH ISN'T IT?

“That’s where citizens say where they want their money spent,” Harvey said. “I think Josh’s hatred for unions gets in his way of thinking clearly

MAYBE AMEND THAT TO SAY "JOSH'S HATRED FOR UNION GREED" HARVEY. AND NO, LAUBACH IS THINKING QUITE CLEARLY.

Harvey said the contract does move the city forward because it controls costs, and there’s no substantial cost to the city

HOW DO YOU FIGURE THAT 88% on 8.9 MIL IS NO SUBSTANTIAL COST? MOST OF THE BUDGET MONEY IS CONSUMED BY SALARIES AND BENEFIT COSTS. 'BOUT TIME YOU PUBLIC SECTOR FOLKS STARTED PAYING 15% TOWARD YOUR BENNIES. 7.5% HAS BEEN A GIFT FOR MANY YEARS FOR YOU. PRIVATE SECTOR PEOPLE HAVE BEEN PAYING 15% OR MORE FOR MANY YEARS. IT'S YOUR TURN NOW TO SHARE IN THE MISERY.
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2012 at 7:18am
I would advise Mr. Harvey to say know more, SB5 was tossed out but it's not forgotten. The only hatred I have is the lack of common sense these unions have along with a city that has over 60 accounts they can shuffle money around. This system and admin. is broken.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2012 at 10:52am
All these "Union Greed" comments piss me off. If you say that it is only because you know NOT what you are talking about and also, i suspect, You are a childish person that only wants what you want and DON'T want facts to get in the way.

Josh and the other Anti Union hard heads keep saying Middletown Government should be run like a Business, well I agree!  Then quit whining and do so.  If a business can't afford 50 employees but can afford 45, then they lay off 5 employees. Do the same with the City Staff. Geeez, it is not hard math.

The real problem is the greedy people of the World still want all the services and protection that a fully staffed City Government provides but they don't want to pay for it. They want the Unions to work for poverty wages so they can have their subservient under class to SERVE them.  That is what it really is all about.

The simple fact is that Middletown is no longer the substantial City it was 50 yrs ago. We need to accept it and move on. If we can't afford the Police and Fire protection we would like to have, then we just CAN'T afford it. Making the Police and Fire Fighters become poorly paid servants is NO answer.

SB5 IS dead because most Ohioans understand just how stupid it was. It is as unAmerican as anything I have seen in my whole lifetime. To support it suggest that you either are a greedy elitist like Mr Kasich, or you are just an uninformed dupe of the Neo Conservatives.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2012 at 11:31am
Irisner, you are either a union person yourself or are a staunch union supporter because you grew up in a union household perhaps.

I would like to address some comments you have posted here, if I may.

You state:

"All these "Union Greed" comments piss me off. If you say that it is only because you know NOT what you are talking about and also, i suspect, You are a childish person that only wants what you want and DON'T want facts to get in the way"

No, not childish, more like practical. I grew up in a union household. Grandfather worked in the union at Armco for 46 years. Made a great living. I worked for the Armco union for three months back in 1968 before I went in the service. Have worked for 8 different non-union companies for 43 years now and will continue to do so for 7 more years until retirement at 70, giving me 51 years total. Always had decent bennies at each company. Pay started at the $2.75/hour back in 1972 after the service stint of 4 years. Happy to get it at the time. Now, at over $22/hour(took me 43 years to get there), still plugging along. Fact is, the unions have been paying way less for their share of bennies than the private sector for many years now. Fact is, the union shops have always made better money than non-union shops with step increases between yearly pay increases, unheard of in a non-union shop. Unions have work environment reps and lawyers to go to bat for you if management is out of line. Non-union-no one. Fact is the union folks, over time and with the benefit of weak resistance from the other side of the bargaining table, have managed to work their way up to an executive lifestyle while working blue collar jobs, using their greed over the years as a tool for advancement. Here in Middletown, you see union steel workers living amoungst bankers and other execs in the Oaks for example with the wife's Cadillac Escalade and the bass boat covered in the driveway.

We're not the greedy people here Irisner. We want the best service for a fair price and that may not happen because the union folks have outpaced themselves with what they are compensated for versus what we get for that compensation. IE-they have managed to price themselves right out of affordability for most cities and for what the taxpayer can afford to give anymore. Money is tight, yet somehow, some union folks just seem to want to keep squeezing the ballon until it pops.

"The simple fact is that Middletown is no longer the substantial City it was 50 yrs ago. We need to accept it and move on. If we can't afford the Police and Fire protection we would like to have, then we just CAN'T afford it. Making the Police and Fire Fighters become poorly paid servants is NO answer"

Then what are we to do? If we can't afford you any longer, and if you want to keep your jobs, you'll have to give some concessions. One may be to lower your wages and pay more for your bennies. OR, look for a position that will pay you what you think you are worth in another city. It is your choice. It is all our choices-union or non-union. If you don't like where you are, for whatever reason, you always have the choice of leaving. I have done this several times in my working life.

SB5 IS dead because most Ohioans understand just how stupid it was. It is as unAmerican as anything I have seen in my whole lifetime. To support it suggest that you either are a greedy elitist like Mr Kasich, or you are just an uninformed dupe of the Neo Conservatives.

Hardly the case Irisner. I'm a working class person like most are. Will never be anything else. Not greedy nor an elitist. Very informed, thank you, and am proned to be more conservative as I get older. SB5 was fine with me. I, like most, am a taxpayer. I have alot taken out of my paycheck every other week. I want the biggest bang for the buck if I'm footing the bill for services. I want a level playing field where public union folks are contributing as much toward your bennies as I am in the private sector. I want a level playing field with wages. My job is technical in nature.....research. Gotta think to do this job. Just as "professional" as a cop or firefighter's job. Yet, for all these years, I haven't come close to earning the wages I see made in the police or firefighter positions. IMO, no level playing field here. The union folks have been light years beyond the non-union folks for many years. It is time we play on a level field. We can no longer afford your demands and we're both seeing that now. Unions are not necessarily popular nowadays, particularly with their demands in a tight economy. JMO
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2012 at 6:22pm
First...who cares what someone else pays for "bennies"? Total compensation is all that matters.At AK/Armco, they waived a raise one year to get a better Pension plan. Is it any of YOUR business HOW someone chooses to be compensated? NO it is not! 

If you want to talk total compensation, you may have a viable argument and I might actually agree with you based on what you say. HOWEVER, as soon as you bring up bennies, I write you off as the brainwashed type I mentioned earlier.

Clearly, your Escalade comment proves you know nothing about AK pay. Working shift work and in a bad environment, one will make about 50k-60 at AK. That is working the Christmas and Thankgiving and thru most of the Football Games your son might have. That is not excessive. If your nieghbor has the things it because they LIVE (much overtime) at AK or more than likely have a hard working Spouse in serious job.

Concessions? That is entirely up to the Union. If the workers choose to make less so that all current employees can stay, that is up them. Just because YOU want more services that you want to pay for doesn't mean someone else should have to work for less.To act like they are greedy just shows me YOU are greedy.

SB5 is an attempt to give the Cities a chance to "abuse" their employees like Private sector companies can now. It is abuse. AK had no strike in 06, they had a LOCKOUT. What really pisses me off is that knot-heads like you FORCED arbitration on Public Unions 30 years ago so they  would have to let an arbiter decide what is fair and NOW those same knot-heads are mad because the Arbiters are FAIR. You don't know squat about SB5 except what Rush told you to think.

Case in point....research. Geez. You want no part of a Mill, or a House Fire, or a Crackhead with a gun, but you are mad because they make more money than you. If you have the credentials you have suggested, then apply at AK. I bet you could get a Shift Managers job making about 70-80k and you would get to work all the Holidays and all the Football games but you would make more.

just as I suggested...whiners and jealous.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2012 at 6:34pm
Oh., yea Vet. I meant to ask. Why do you think you know more about what is fair in this situation than does some Labor Lawyer (arbitrator) compelled by Federal Law to be fair and unbiased?

Just who do you think you are?

Stop watching so much FOX News. You will be a more well rounded person if you make the change.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2012 at 7:27pm
hate to jump into the middle of this chest-thumping, HOWEVER it is a little different when you are talking about taxpayer-funded govt.employees as opposed to the private sector.

btw--I didn't like anything about either side of SBW5, and didn't really think that either result would  save anyones' job in the long haul. No mo' money is a pretty powerful factor.

jmo
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2012 at 8:08pm
Sorry Spider, what does Tax payer paid employee or not have anything to do with what is fair? Are you saying that if paid by Tax Payer then an Employee should accept unfair treatment?

I think you haven't thought it thru and just have got on the Band wagon. I have found you to be reasonable in the past and ask you to think about this issue and then explain to me what difference WHO pays somebody has to do with what is fair.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2012 at 8:46pm
Irisner,

As a union supporter, both public and private; I believe the fairness issue comes into play when public employees have better pay and benefits than equivalent private sector jobs. Yes, I know, not too many equivalent jobs with police and fire but that is the perception now. Whether that perception is fair or even accurate isn't the issue.

The difference is that a private company pays its employees from revenues generated by the work of the employees. That is not the case in public sector employees. Police and fire do not generate revenue; the fees charged are to offset the cost; they do not pay for the departments. When you have citizens who pay taxes and work in private sector jobs, their job is dependent on their labor bringing in more revenues than it costs their company. If you're not a profitable employee, you get shown the door!!! That is not a consideration for a public employee who is usually shown the door only when they violate policy or regulations.

One other thing and this is really a general comment: there is no reason for the personal characterizations! I know that this forum brings up issues that people are passionate about but that does not excuse name calling and character assasinations; that only weakens your argument, imo. The most difficult thing to do is to step back and try to look through the eyes of the other person; you don't have to agree with them but trying to see the other point of view provides a perspective that you haven't thought about and many times makes it easier to see your own point of view clearer. I'm always willing to listen right up to the point when personal insults and name calling starts. When that happens, (imo) you've just lost your argument!!!
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2012 at 9:29pm
Is it "fair" when our private sector employers (AK comes to mind) force pay reductions on salaried workers?  Is it fair when my health insurance costs go up year after year (and not just in response to a union negotiation)?  Is it fair that a complaint about all the above to my employer will likely result not in a negotiated response, or a counteroffer, or a seat before an arbitrator, but possibly in my termination?
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2012 at 10:26pm
With all due respect, all arguments offered are indicative of how the average American (my sweet, wonderful Parents included) have been brainwashed by the Media. All of what you both have said mean nothing. If there is an inequity? then what is the root cause? Do you all believe that the Arbitrators are corrupt? In the Unions' pockets? What is the reason?

The reason is that the Private Sector has been able to be grossly unfair. More of the same evil, is that what you all want? there is NO other reason than that to support SB5. NO reason. Unless you DO think the arbiters are corrupt, then you have NO argument for that mentality.

As to Bill....Duh! that is part of collective bargaining. When AK was booming in the late 90, the salaried people were getting HUGE bonuses. The Union ONLY got what was Contractually required. Again, sorry to say, it is whining. "Wha, Wha, I want to ignore how great it is to be Salary when times are good, but I want to whine when the bad times get in my pocket". Give me break!  Get a Union job then Bill.

I must also say that name calling is in poor taste, but unfortunately most of the nonsensical views expressed on this site are just as bad in regards to taste as my comments. Most of you are so blinded you don't see that, but it is true. this issue is just that. wanting to take away someone's rights because you want to save a dime or you are jealous. Bad Taste!

I feel like some anti Nazi German in the 1930s, trying so hard to convince you all that Adolf is not so great.

Sad commentary for our Nation. The real tragedy is that the same people that are for taking Union rights away from first responders think it is terrible to take away a few more dollars from some Hedge Fund manager paying 15% in FIT every year. Disgusting.
TANGO View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2012 at 6:27am
Irisner do you think that the firemen should have control over who gets raise in the city for the next 3 yrs., even if some of those people have not had a raise for 6 yrs.  Thats what the METO  clause does to the city.
Now the the police next year have to get a contract with meto in it as well.  METO, that as childish as it sounds. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2012 at 6:41am
Originally posted by lrisner lrisner wrote:

Oh., yea Vet. I meant to ask. Why do you think you know more about what is fair in this situation than does some Labor Lawyer (arbitrator) compelled by Federal Law to be fair and unbiased?Just who do you think you are?Stop watching so much FOX News. You will be a more well rounded person if you make the change.

Irisner...

To let you know the facts, I am a registered Democrat. Hell, even had the union endorsements when I ran for office years ago. Went down on Rt. 4 to a union hall and did the old union sponsorship thing. They pledged support as they were told to do because I was a Democrat, not because they believed what I was all about. I didn't even talk to them and got their support that night. How shallow is that? In general, I do not like the Republican party as I think it represents big business, takes management's side on things and has traditionally relied on the war machine to stimulate the economy while it was getting people killed. I don't like the Democrats because they sponsor some greedy unions and want to give our hard earned money to social programs that are mismanaged, have people who have qualified who are scum and are abusing the system, bilking the taxpayers and the Dems want to give rights to illegals. Don't like Obama for that and I voted for the guy. Doubt that will happen again. Don't like any of the Repubs either. I don't watch FOX News as it is as slanted as CNN and MSNBC are on the Democratic side. Personally, I think both sides are full of it nowadays. There are no good choices for any of us, IMO. No, Irisner, my comments are my own and I do not side with either the Governor nor the union on SB5. My comments are my own and not enticed by FOX, CNN, MSNBC, the Governor, etc. It is just what I have seen over the last 43 years in the work place and the differences in what the union folks have received in wages and bennies and what us non-union folks have received. It have been very skewed to say the least and I'd like to see some balance for a change.

As for your reply on my Escalade comment.......I live right across from the Oaks. I know for a fact there is a retired Armco floor worker...IE...non-mangement/ex-union person who lives among the high rollers who occupy the Oaks. (I live in one of the grass huts that surround the Oaks just over the moats). He has an Escalade and a bass boat. I know the guy. It took no more skill to do his job than it takes to do mine, yet he is well above me in standard of living for a comparably-skilled job. Difference between the union shops and non-union. THAT'S WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT FOR ME WITH SB5 AND IN OUR DISCUSSION HERE. NOT A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD FOR COMPARABLE WORK AND PAYING YOUR OWN WAY ON BENNIES. Public sector jobs, by not paying their fair share of premiums for bennies, have gotten a free ride at the expense of taxpayers like myself, who must pay more from our paychecks to help our employers afford the ever-increasing costs of healthcare AND, adding insult to injury, having to help pay for the public union folks bennies all these years. Call it jealousy, call it looking for fairness, call it anything you wish. Just want it to be even-up, that's all.

Who do I think I am? I'm a working guy who pays taxes, wants some fairness and the biggest bang for my tax bucks, that's all. The labor lawyer just interprets the law. He knows what is in the books. If I read the negotiation laws, I would know as much as the frikkin' labor lawyer. What's your point?

Well-rounded?......only around the mid section bud. Got alot of flaws.....but then, so do you.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2012 at 6:47am
First, Again, WE blame the Union for something the city agreed to. It amazes me how if some home owner agrees to some terrible terms in mortgage, then we all say, Buyer be ware. read what you sign,, be good for your word...blah, blah, blah. YET, when the City(or even a private Employer) agrees to something and later regrets it, it all of a sudden becomes the "greedy" Union's fault.

How about we start EXPECTING our high paid City Administrators to ACT like they DESERVE to be so highly paid.

The sad thing about this debate is that almost ALL of you are so busy WHINING about this crap, that I doubt if ANY of you remember me saying that the solution to our budget problem was a 30% REDUCTION in Staff. ALL Staff, Union and Union Union. Does that still make me a Union cry baby like most of you asume.

I think I may be the only Adult in this debate. IF the Union wanted to take DEEP cuts to avoid the 30% lay off, then fine, that is OK with me. But to simply want the Union City workers to give up all they negotiated in the past and give up the bargaining rights that many people in years gone by have earned JUST so the WHINERS of Middleton can have the services they don't want to pay for is wrong.  I REFUSE to participate in the building of a subservient underclass to SERVE those of us who think we deserve such service. If you want the service, PAY for it. If not, then do with out.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2012 at 7:04am
Irisner states...

"Most of you are so blinded you don't see that, but it is true. this issue is just that. wanting to take away someone's rights because you want to save a dime or you are jealous".

YOU FORGET, BUD, IT'S OUR DIME FOR THE PUBLIC UNION PEOPLE AND WE HAVE A RIGHT TO WANT TO SAVE IT. WE....WE ARE FOOTING THE SALARIES, THE BENNIES AND THE VERY EXISTENCE OF PUBLIC UNION PEOPLE. WE ARE PAYING THE COST TO BE THE BOSS. YOU CAN BITCH IF YOU'RE PAYING THE WAY. JEALOUS.....HELL YES. WE HAVE BEEN WANTING SOME OF THAT GRAVY FOR YEARS.

The real tragedy is that the same people that are for taking Union rights away from first responders think it is terrible to take away a few more dollars from some Hedge Fund manager paying 15% in FIT every year. Disgusting.

NO, THE REAL TRAGEDY IS THAT YOU ARE INTENTIONALLY MIS-INTERPRETING WHAT WE WANT. WE WANT A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD. WE WANT THE UNION DEMANDS AT THE NEG. TABLE (by the way, we non-union folks don't have a negotiation table- we take what they offer us and we like it or tough cookies and the raise is not automatic, it is by merit) TO BE TEMPERED IF OUT OF CONTROL AND NOT CONDUSIVE TO THE ECONOMIC TIMES AND NOT BREAK THE BANK IN THE CITY AND BURDEN THE TAXPAYERS EVEN MORE. WE WANT THE PUBLIC UNIONS TO PAY MORE OF THEIR FAIR SHARE FROM THE SALARIES THAT WE....WE HAVE PROVIDED THEM. AGAIN, WE ARE PAYING AND THAT GIVES US A RIGHT TO HAVE A SAYSO IN HOW ALL OF THIS GOES DOWN. PRIVATE UNIONS.....DIFFERENT STORY. TIMES HAVE CHANGED. THE UNIONS HAVEN'T BEEN WILLING TO CHANGE WITH THOSE TIMES. THE WORKPLACE HAS CHANGED TO 2012. THE UNIONS STILL WANT TO HOLD ONTO THE 1930's WORKPLACE MENTALITY. CATCH UP.....EVERYONE IS MAKING CONCESSIONS JUST TO KEEP THEIR COMPANY AFLOAT AND HOLD ON TO THEIR JOB NOWADAYS. WELCOME TO OUR WORLD.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2012 at 7:29am
Irisner,

"With all due respect"? Really? Your comments are indicative of exactly what you rail against; it's the "I'm right and everybody else is wrong" mentality. Not to mention that it is grossly insulting to compare those who don't agree with you to Nazi supporters!!! That right there shows me exactly what kind of person you are and negates your entire argument. I support unions, I support collective bargaining and I was against SB5. Your argument isn't about fairness at all it seems, it's just another way to hurl insults and demean others. You're the only adult in this debate! NOT!!!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2012 at 7:50am
Irisner...

"First...who cares what someone else pays for "bennies"? Total compensation is all that matters.At AK/Armco, they waived a raise one year to get a better Pension plan. Is it any of YOUR business HOW someone chooses to be compensated? NO it is not"

IT CERTAINLY IS IF WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A PUBLIC UNION JOB. IT IS NOT IF A PRIVATE COMPANY UNION. I CARE WHAT SOMEONE ELSE PAYS FOR BENNIES IF A PUBLIC UNION EMPLOYEE. IF THEY PAY MORE, I PAY LESS IN TAXES TO FOOT THE BILL FOR THEIR HEATHCARE, DENTAL AND VISION BENNIES.

"Clearly, your Escalade comment proves you know nothing about AK pay. Working shift work and in a bad environment, one will make about 50k-60 at AK. That is working the Christmas and Thankgiving and thru most of the Football Games your son might have. That is not excessive. If your nieghbor has the things it because they LIVE (much overtime) at AK or more than likely have a hard working Spouse in serious job"

I DIDN'T SAY HE USED THE BOAT. SITS MOST OF THE TIME COVERED UP IN THE DRIVEWAY. YOU'RE RIGHT, HE WORKED ALOT OF OVERTIME....NO TIME TO ENJOY THE THINGS HE BOUGHT. (WHAT'S THE POINT IN OWNING THEM?) HIS WIFE CERTAINLY USED AND ENJOYED THE ESCALADE THOUGH. OH. I KNOW A THING OR TWO ABOUT AK PAY. JUST BECAUSE I DON'T WORK THERE, DOESN'T MEAN I'M DETACHED FROM KNOWING WHAT GOES ON.

"Concessions? That is entirely up to the Union. If the workers choose to make less so that all current employees can stay, that is up them. Just because YOU want more services that you want to pay for doesn't mean someone else should have to work for less.To act like they are greedy just shows me YOU are greedy"

AGAIN IRISNER, IF WE'RE TALKING ABOUT A PRIVATE UNION, YOU ARE CORRECT. IF A PUBLIC UNION, THEN WE ALL HAVE A RIGHT TO STICK OUR NOSE IN THEIR BUSINESS. AS I HAVE ALREADY MENTIONED, IF WE ARE PAYING FOR THEIR SERVICES, WE SHOULD HAVE A SAY IN HOW IT WILL BE.

"SB5 is an attempt to give the Cities a chance to "abuse" their employees like Private sector companies can now. It is abuse"

SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE TUNNEL-VISIONED UNION SUPPORTER. AN "ATTEMPT TO ABUSE" AS YOU SAY......OR......HOW ABOUT, THESE ARE TOUGH ECONOMIC TIMES AND ALL CITIES ARE HAVING A HARD TIME GENERATING REVENUE TO OPERATE. THEY, LIKE AVERAGE HOUSEHOLDS, HAVE TO WATCH THEIR SPENDING AND MUST CUT BACK ON THINGS THEY ARE ACCUSTOMED TO HAVING IN MORE PROSPEROUS ECONOMIC TIMES. THEY ARE ASKING FOR CUTS IN EVERY AREA OF THE BUDGET THEY CAN AND YET, STILL FUNCTION AT A MINIMAL LEVEL.

"What really pisses me off is that knot-heads like you FORCED arbitration on Public Unions 30 years ago so they would have to let an arbiter decide what is fair and NOW those same knot-heads are mad because the Arbiters are FAIR. You don't know squat about SB5 except what Rush told you to think"

OH GOD, IF ONLY YOU KNEW HOW I HATE RUSH (LIMBAUGH I ASSUME YOU ARE REFERRING TO) HATE/DESPISE/LOATH THE MAN. IRISNER, 30 YEARS AGO THIS "KNOT-HEAD" COULD HAVE CARED LESS ABOUT WHAT THE UNIONS WERE DOING. LIKE ANY YOUNG PERSON, I WAS WRAPPED UP IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD, OBLIVIOUS TO WHAT WAS GOING ON AROUND ME. YOU PAY MORE ATTENTION TO YOUR SURROUNDINGS WHEN YOU GET OLDER IMO. OH, AND YES, I DO KNOW SQUAT ABOUT SB5.

"Case in point....research. Geez. You want no part of a Mill, or a House Fire, or a Crackhead with a gun, but you are mad because they make more money than you. If you have the credentials you have suggested, then apply at AK. I bet you could get a Shift Managers job making about 70-80k and you would get to work all the Holidays and all the Football games but you would make more"

NOW TO PROVE THAT YOU REALLY DON'T KNOW WHO YOU'RE TALKING TO. NOT ALL OF MY 43 YEARS HAS BEEN IN RESEARCH. I SPENT 12 YEARS RUNNING AN EXTRUDER ON THE FLOOR, WORKING ROTATING SHIFTS IN A FACTORY. SPENT 3 YEARS ON PERMANENT MIDNIGHTS FEELING CRAPPY THE WHOLE TIME. SPENT 3 YEARS ON 2ND SHIFT RUNNING A FORKLIFT. YEAH, I'VE WORKED THE FACTORY SCENE. HASN'T ALL BEEN IN A NICE TEMP-CONTROLLED LAB. I'VE PUT MY TIME IN IN THE SAME ENVIRONMENT AS THE AK FOLKS ARE IN INCLUDING WORKING HOLIDAYS WHEN THE PRODUCTION SCHEDULE WARRANTED IT. WORKED 12 ON -2 OFF EVERY SUMMER FOR 7 SUMMERS WAY BACK WHEN. WORKED 35 STRAIGHT DAYS AT NEATON AUTO DURING ISO 9002 PREPARATION IN THE 90'S. (THE WORKERS ARE VERY WELL COMPENSATED FOR THE HOLIDAY PAY AT AK, BY THE WAY- VERY WELL COMPENSATED) RESEARCH/LAB WORK CAME AT INTERVALS IN THE 60'S/70'S/ 80'S/ 90'S TO CURRENT.

"just as I suggested...whiners and jealous"

WHINERS.....NO......JEALOUS......YES

HEY! NICE TALKING TO YOU. I ENJOY DEBATING THIS TOPIC.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2012 at 4:04pm
hey mr.risner--we are all adults, and not totally out of it.
I don't stick my nose into the workings of other privately-held businesses, and don't expect others to intrude into mine.

I don't have any issue with anyone taking what is offered. Most do.
I don't really have an issue with public sector salaries.
It is the retirement/health care packages that are sinking governments and schools of every size and location.
Like Social Security, the basic premise was founded decades ago, when people retired in their 6os, and were lucky to live past their 70s. Now--with new/expensive health careprocedures, people are living well into their 80s and 90s. A good thing, but very expensive. When coupled with today's retirements in the late 40s/50s age groups, we have created impossible to support legacy costs. Today's economy simply won't support the pending obligation, and there aren't enough revenues(workers'/business profit tax) to support this.

But with your backround, I am not telling you anything.

Pretty simple in the private sector to downsize, layoff, close or seek concessions.
Not so simple in the municipal sector.
Learn to live with less?
No worry there--we will all have to do just that.

What about the pension plans that are now not fully-funded?
Who picks up that tab?
Should that be "tough luck" for both sides that negotiated the contract and managed the fund?

I have seen most everything in my time, and a lot of labor + management abuses and bad thinking.
Give either side enough rope, and they will try to hang the other side, then han themselves, and eventually hang everyone.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2012 at 4:43pm
Am I right and you all wrong? YES. You know why? Because on this CONSERVATIVE site, I am the radical. Guess what? there are many LIBERAL sites where I am CALLED.....the Radical! 

So it seems that being in the middle makes me right, or at least close to it. Once again, I hear NOTHING but complaining. That is exactly why I don't care to be civil. When all I hear is bitching and jealousy, with NO rational argument (saying it is Public money changes NOTHING! GOD, that is a stupid argument) supporting the anti First responder attitudes.

Just why does Public money make ANY difference what is or is not fair and reasonable. NOT one of you have suggested that Middletown's finest make more than the average for the positions they have. That would be a RATIONAL argument if one of you made it. None of you have. All I have heard is "I don;t want to pay" " I am jealous". Get over it.

Tony...I didn't say that disagreeing with me made someone a Nazi. I was simply making the point that what is popular is NOT always the right or even non-evil opinion. That is all. The minority opinion has many times in History proven to be the right opinion over time.  If this were 1840, I would be considered a nut case for being against slavery. If I phrased it poorly, I apologize.

Vet, i don't know what to say to you. I mentioned TOTAL COMPENSATION and you still are ranting about Bens. Just put me on ignore, OK. I doubt you and I can even scream at each and do any good.

Spider, I don't disagree with what you said. I know we have problems. I also know that creating an underclass to do the Municipal work is not the answer. Unfortunately until we stop the nonesense and have serious discussions, we won't find the answer. I think Josh is a good kid, but misguided. I do HOWEVER, agree with his infrastructure funding Idea. We do have to stop under funding Infrastructure and setting it aside is plausible answer. It will leave less for staffing, but we just have to do what ever to deal with that. Layoffs or concessions, the Unions will have to decide. Does that seem to be strange talk from a Union nut case? Wow! Maybe I am someone just playing the middle!

I am a rare breed this days. A principled person who's positions follow the information and NOT self interest.

That is the root of the problem! The ME generation LIVES.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2012 at 7:39pm
Tunnel vision at it's best. I wouldnt brag about the service our public unions provide. Two sides to the problem with the sap taxpayer in the middle (The third side of the story). Please keep blogging or what ever you call this. I'm right the rest of you are wrong, haven't had this much laughter since VOR!
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2012 at 8:29am
Irisner,

You a radical? That is hysterically hilarious!!! You are someone who refuses to even recognize the problem hence becoming the problem yourself. I explained above to you why getting paid with tax dollars is different than an occupation in the private sector but the only acknowledgement was to apologize for the Nazi reference. Let see if I can explain this to you again; not that I think that you'll take the time to read and try to understand it.

A worker for a private enterprise generates revenue through his work. That worker must generate more revenue than they are paid in compensation for the labor if they want to keep the job. That counts wages and benefits.

A public servant is not measured by the amount of revenue generated but the effectiveness, efficiency and benefit that their service provides the community. It is the community (all of us) that pays the wages and benefits for public servants.

It is not fair or reasonable for public servants to have a compensation package that deprives the taxpayer of other necessary services. IMO, police and fire should be the highest paid public employees because they provide the most essential services to the community. I don't think there is anyone on this forum who would disagree with that. That doesn't mean; however, that their aren't other necessary services that the community wants and expects for their tax dollar. That is where the fairness argument comes into play. When the compensation package is the highest in the area, taxpayers begin to wonder what they are getting for the money. When other communities are getting the same services for less, they wonder why.

I wouldn't want the job of police or fire. I commend and applaud your service. There will always be a need for these services. Just don't mistake the need for the services with the idea that those services can't be provided by someone else who would be willing to do them for less compensation. You've seen the trend in privatization of government services; (btw, one of the worst ideas, ever!!!) that snowball is picking up steam thanks to bought and paid for politicians. These a**holes are out to make government a "for-profit" enterprise and they'll get their way if they can convince the public that the public service unions are the villains. If that ever happens, you can kiss freedom and democracy goodbye!!!

I don't know what your job is but I certainly hope that our paths never cross. That would mean that I'm neither being arrested or in need of emergency medical services!!! As for being a radical, you barely break the "moderate" label. A true radical would be organizing protests and demonstrations against the corruption that is going on in Middletown. All you've done is try to justify why you deserve what you're getting. Nothing "radical" about that.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2012 at 9:13am

TonyB,

You forgot one other difference between the public and private sectors…one of the biggest differences.

In the private sector, the employees have no say in picking their “bosses”: the people who must approve changes in their working conditions and pay rates.  However, in the public sector, they do by way of their votes.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2012 at 1:30pm
Speaking of efficiencies TonyB, I was driving last night about 8:30 PM through Middletown coming from the airport when the ice rain came. I had on 700 am, and they were talking about how Cincinnati's road crews had taken advantage of the dry weather, and put salt (brine) down covering 99.9% of the roads by Wednesday. Well, as I was driving last night, I saw Middletown's salt trucks on all major roads, and today, the same.

When one speaks of efficiencies, using this example, how much overtime did Middletown pay when it could have put salt down when it was 20 degrees all week, than wait until Friday night and Saturday, all overtime evenings and weekends, for the city workers? That's not quite efficiency, and I was really taken by the intelligence of Cincinnati Public Works to plan ahead, while Middletown, as usual, reacted afterwards. I'm not a chemical engineer or an expert on thermal dynamics, but it made alot of sense to me. What was Dave Duritsch doing? Planning for the next sinkhole, or planning for an ice storm, and getting trucks out two days in advance so NO overtime would have to be paid. Just a thought when I heard how SMART Cincinnati was, in comparison to the reactive nature of the city of Middletown. 
jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2012 at 4:37pm
Acclaro: All of the forcasts I read said that rain was coming first, which would have washed the pre-treatment away. If they had pre-treated and rain washed it away, you would still be saying how stupid the city is. How smart is it to be driving while the ice is coming down? Would you live in Warrewn County?Ermm
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2012 at 7:28pm
Per-salting is a JOKE! Let those that are dumb enough to get up at 3:30am handle the efficient way of putting your salt down. 2-3/10 ths of ice sucks at 7am, luckily it was a Sat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic