FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Use That Memory- Recall Exercise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Use That Memory- Recall Exercise
    Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 7:20am
Just for the heck of it,I was just trying to recall all the businesses that were part of the Middletown Shopping Center since 1958.

Albers, Davidson Photo Shop-Readmore Books- Gentry Den, McAlpins, Elder Beerman Budget Store- GE Appliance Store-a Dry Cleaning store(?)- a movie theatre-Triangle Travel-Pharmore Drug store-

anybody else remember?

Of course Burger King and Blockbuster were part of the parking lot and there was a gas station out in the lot in front of where the fitness center is now.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 7:32am
I remember Dwane's Shoe Store & Fashion Bug
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 9:13am
The gas station was a Texaco station, I can't recall who owned it.  I believe that there was a shoe repar shop back down the passageway near Miller's Barber Shop, wasn't there?  Also, I seem to recall a bank at the very south end. 

I clearly remember "GINA'S Pizza" (my very favorite) right across the street, where Alpine Press is now.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 1:21pm
Yes indeed Mike- Gina's Pizza. Great pizza! In the 60's, I stopped there late at night after I took the date home and got a large pizza and TWO subs. Took them home to watch the all night theatre with Bob Shreve and NEVER GAINED A POUND! Oh to be young again! Remember Elite's Ice Creme in the little shopping center next to the Community Bank by Discount Tobacco? How about the Sohio station where BP is now. Remember it having a huge ditch with big culverts as entrances to the Sohio. You being an "old timer" and while we're on the subject of recalling the area- do you remember a little hamburger drive-in called the Oh and Ahh down on Jackson Lane by about where the Cassano's sits now? This would have been in the late 50's to early 60's. Great hamburgers with special sauce.
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 4:43pm
Godfather's Pizza, Noble Roman's, Ron's Pizza, La Pinata, Duff's Smorgasborg.........a fabric store (name escapes me)...

Santa in the middle of the parking lot in his own house.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 6:34pm

Oh & Ah!!!  I forgot all abouut them!!!  They had a stand-alone building approxiamately where the GasAmerica station is now.

At some point not far west of there, Jackson Lane turned into a gravel road.  In fact, this area was "out in the country" in the late fifties/early sixties.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 8:32pm
MM- I thought Godfathers Pizza was out where O'Charlies is now by I-75. After they moved out sometime around 1986 or so, Godfathers was replaced by Mark Pi's or some Chinese restaurant.It was in an A-frame type building. Noble Romans had a rye crust I believe. Don't remember Duff's. Where were they located in the mall? Was the fabric store Hancock Fabrics? They were located where the Buckeye Budget store is now. Little Ceasar's Pizza, before they occupied the old Radio Shack now, use to be over by the Little Dipper Ice Cream stand in the Elliot Drive area in the 80's.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 8:46pm
Mike- Speaking of roads ending.The north end of Breile ended at Central Ave. with a barricade on the north side of Central.The south end of Breile ended at Grand Ave. Fast food row down Breile was just fields. That land was all WPFB owned north of there. Kensington St. use to end to the south right before the Barbara Park Home. I remember, as a kid, Don S. Cisle from Hamilton, with their earthmovers cutting the subdivision around Barbara Drive and Arlington Arms Apartments. Same with Lewis St./Fiesta Way off Jackson Lane. All that land was owned by Farmer Scott who had an excellent vegetable stand by his house which still stands next to Wade E. Miller's old house at the corner of Grand and Kensington. The "M" is still on the chimney of the house.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 9:38pm
Some of you old-timers might enjoy these:

http://www.middletownlibrary.org:8080/cgi-bin/viewer.exe?CISOROOT=/Crout&CISOPTR=4196&CISOMODE=grid

http://www.middletownlibrary.org:8080/cgi-bin/viewer.exe?CISOROOT=/Crout&CISOPTR=4195&CISOMODE=grid

http://www.middletownlibrary.org:8080/cgi-bin/viewer.exe?CISOROOT=/Crout&CISOPTR=5189&CISOMODE=grid

http://www.middletownlibrary.org:8080/cgi-bin/viewer.exe?CISOROOT=/Crout&CISOPTR=4194&CISOMODE=grid

http://www.middletownlibrary.org:8080/cgi-bin/viewer.exe?CISOROOT=/Crout&CISOPTR=4197&CISOMODE=grid

http://www.middletownlibrary.org:8080/cgi-bin/viewer.exe?CISOROOT=/Crout&CISOPTR=4196&CISOMODE=grihttp://www.middletownlibrary.org:8080/cgi-bin/viewer.exe?CISOROOT=/Crout&CISOPTR=4195&CISOMODE=grid
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2009 at 6:43am
Thanks for the info swohio75- finally had time to go through all 150 pages or so. The pictures from the 50's thru the 80's brought back alot of memories.
middie85 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middie85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 5:24pm
carousel beauty college, there was A oral surgeon dr Fassler I beleive, a little magic shop in the entrance to duffs, sally beauty supply. I know there`s alot more. anyone remember santa landing in the helicopter every year?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic